News

My Style: Funfere Koroye

Ijeoma Balogun

10It’s your regular dose of the BN feature; My Style! If you are interested in appearing on this page, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical Day and Night Look with a short summary of your style to my email box: [email protected]

When your entry is approved, you will be required to send in more pictures and personal commentaries on your style or that of your friend as the case may be! Thanks to those who have participated so far, keep the emails coming.

Let’s remember that this feature is about appreciating an individual’s expression through clothing!

It’s really exciting to have another guy featured on My Style and we would certainly love to have more grace the BN style page!

Bella Naija reader and student of Industrial Design, Funfere Koroye speaks enthusiastically about this style and his aspiration to inspire!

FUNFERE’S STYLE:

My style is something unorthodox; I don’t kneel to styles everyone else is wearing, I feel style is what you are born with, sometimes it’s a learning experience but not a lesson someone else teaches you. You can’t be told by anyone how to dress, I don’t do fashion updates because they dictate fads and fads always run out.

My style is a futuristic, preppy, surfer, geek, athlete, skater boy, and high brand infusion. I do it all from Nikes to Louis Vuitton. It doesn’t matter where it’s from as long as it looks the part, I am good. I do all those categories on a day to day basis and sometimes take a risk and mix them up.

I have always loved Pharrell Williams and the whole NERD team for sure, André 3000 and big boi from Outkast, Usher and last but not least Kanye Omari West. Funny enough my middle name is KENIYE and most people always call me “Nigeria’s Kanye West” which I don’t like but I have gotten used to. I love the collection at top shop, I think those designer are spot on, Polo Ralph Lauren brings out the class in me, I love my Nikes for sportiness, Martin Margelia and Linda Farow for that futuristic look, Billionaires boys club for the skater in me and finally Gucci, Goyard and Louis Vuitton for the days I have earned it.

WHY I LOVE MY STYLE:

I love my style because it is a personal expression of an individual’s soul; your clothes say what your heart doesn’t. For example I wear band jackets because I mourn Michael Jackson.

HOW IT EXPRESSES FUNFERE’S PERSONALITY:

My personality for people who know me is very vibrant, I care and I don’t care, I am a multi world kind of person. I don’t like to stick to one thing but I carry what I take with me. I never chew more than I can swallow and I chew a lot.

Never settle for one answer, always go against the norm. Think outside the box and destroy the box s you don’t ever go back in it.
I have too many shoes to count, too many shades to count and it goes on and on in my wardrobe. I always have to have on my shades, wrist watch and fresh pair of sneakers, a jacket is also necessary to keep the cool.

As it stands I am industrial designer in university, I am in my second year and for those who don’t know what that is, I design anything and everything. Name it; from cars to sneakers, I am what you would call a modern day inventor. It could also be said to be a fine line between engineering and art. My work is strongly influenced by my style because I always design to inspire. In addition to that I plan to go into fashion design for my label FUSION KELVAR INC which I have sketches, renderings and graphic designs for. In general I want will be in any aspect of designing and building objects and products for the use of people.

FUNFERE’S STYLE PHIOLOSOPHY:

I don’t know what style is for you but for me it’s seeing innovation and visualizing it on me. When I walk past you I want your necks to turn. Not because I am show off but because I am showing off, I don’t dress up when I wake up every day I get dressed up. It takes more than just money to put on a nice outfit, it take soul and swagger, the kind you can go to school for in the words of jay z. Don’t follow trends; this doesn’t mean you should walk down the street looking a hot mess and call it “your style”!

FAVOURITE STORES:

Too many to count, mention it and I have shopped there, as long as it is in the UK and US. I do a mixture of in-store and online shopping, not everything you want will be in your continent.

Accessories for me are best in guess, urban outfitters and hot topic. The best jeans are in gap to me, I do some designers jeans like evisu, true religion and edhardy but I wouldn’t say they are worth it. I get my skinny on in Topshop and h&m, I wear skinny jeans for many reasons, the most important being they give me more freedom in movement and make the prep look on point. For storage which jeans don’t provide I like to carry my back pack or my luggage Bag, Louis Vuitton and Gucci respectively. I don’t do the bulky bag look, carry what you need!

List of fav stores:
Foot locker
EBay
Etsy
Amazon
Asos

HAIR:

People who know always ask why I am always doing stuff to my hair, even my Dad hates but better bow before I lose it. I love experimenting; I have gone from afros to skin cuts, Line designs and the most copied Mohawk. Right now I have doing a 80s tribute and working with the box cut, popularly worn by the fresh prince “will smith” but mine is a little less comedic.

Line Designs

Mohawk

MY LOOKBOOK (Day&Night):

Watch:Casio; Bag: LV; Tie:Topshop; Shirt:Topshop; Pants:Next; Shoes: Herman monster

Watch: Casio; Bag: LV; Tie: Topshop; Shirt: Topshop; Pants: Next; Shoes: Herman monster

Shirt: Topshop; Bag: LV; Air yeezys; Ray bans

Shirt: Topshop; Bag: LV; Air yeezys; Ray bans

Shades: Linda Arrow; Shirt: bdx; Jeans: Topshop; Gucci luggage; Sneakers: Topshop

Turbo shades; Jacket: Vintage Levis; Shirt: Topshop; Watch: Casio; Belt: Ed hardy; Jeans: Topshop

DG shades; Tie: Topshop; Shirt: Dockers; Waistcoat: Topshop; Watch: Casio;  Hot topic bracelet

DG shades; Tie: Topshop; Shirt: Dockers; Waistcoat: Topshop; Watch: Casio; Hot topic bracelet

DG shades; Shirt: Next; Sweater: Topshop; Pants: Next; Sperry topsider

DG shades; Shirt: Next; Sweater: Topshop; Pants: Next; Sperry topsider

Fedora: Urban Outfitters; Bandana; Waistcoat: Topshop; Belt: American Apparel; Vans

Fusion kelvar Shirt (my fashion line); Bandana; Bracelet: Hot topic; Gloves: Power trip; Jeans; Gap

band jacket

1 (2)

2 (2)

3 (2)

4 (2)

5 (2)

6 (2)

347553_jefferycampbell

Ex-Style Editor at Large - BellaNaija.com , Now Founder/CEO Redrick Public Relations Limited. @ijeomabalogun

1. chinny

November 4, 2009 at 11:07 pm

ur very bold……..i love d outfit with d vest n red tie……….ummmm wuts with dat pink watch? it luks like sumthn a 5yr old wud wear…..but heeeey, dts ur style….thumbs up

2. strong thing

November 4, 2009 at 11:12 pm

too much money….lucky you

3. gbekun

November 4, 2009 at 11:25 pm

rather interesting style. and the name “funfere”… unique, i like it

4. Ibo Omoge

November 4, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I think he looks cute 🙂

5. luvlife

November 4, 2009 at 11:48 pm

cheyah! how cute!!!!

6. Poet

November 4, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Lol…www.triestoohard.com…it’s cool tho

7. Miss Fizzy

November 5, 2009 at 12:15 am

Um… well I love the pic with the orange shirt and white pants, though I think it’s more to do with the aesthetic of the picture. I also like the clothes in the cowboy picture and the two above it. I hate the Ed Hardy jeans and I don’t really understand the band jackets…

8. Miss Fizzy

November 5, 2009 at 12:16 am

I don’t hate the abs though lol

9. Koro

November 5, 2009 at 12:17 am

THAT IS MY BROTHER!
    AWESOME!

10. johnadewusi

November 5, 2009 at 12:18 am

okay rili goood.dude has mosdef got style he shud be in d fashion industry he looks like he can hold his own anywhere in d world…….he has a style dts totally his

11. Shay

November 5, 2009 at 12:50 am

love it fun!! just love it !!! 🙂

12. baby

November 5, 2009 at 12:54 am

i dont understand why u would put ur gucci carrier on a trash can!! u have to respect d gucci mate!

13. mimi

November 5, 2009 at 1:00 am

i love ur style..so fresh and clean..keep it up dude…love ur air yezzy’s

14. imo

November 5, 2009 at 1:44 am

u lik the most stylish person…cuz like everyone looks mediocre compared to u…even the girls….lol that just my opinion.ur style is fly.

15. Timelesslady

November 5, 2009 at 2:17 am

MAN, U take it to the limit. Luv it!!!!

16. az in...

November 5, 2009 at 3:08 am

yaaayyyyy! I’m feelin this boy. I’m surprised primark entered his list tho lol. thumbs up boy! I like… or maybe I’m just getting carried away by all the designer stuff. come and shop for me plss. my number is 07*** lmao. Nice abs btw. I’m sure u got ripped just for Bella 🙂
    Just so u kno, I’m one of the few nice ppl on BN… the aunties with the claws and fangs will soon be here…

17. Gold Fiend $

November 5, 2009 at 3:47 am

I really like this guys style,
    not to mention he’s also good looking 😉

18. tbn

November 5, 2009 at 4:08 am

Cute guy…;) but I wish bella will feature a more mature guy on this my style, that i can really connect to… well I love the six pack on this guy, I like a guy who works out… what else, I also like the formal clothes he wore.. the bow tie, shirts and jackets, but not the shorts! common that reminds me of the headmaster in village headmaster lol. The line hairstyle is also cute, some of those colourful jackets make me wonder where he wears them to, is it just for the pictures or for actually going out? and where? in Naija, U.K. or U.S.? I’ve been to all three and just cant figure out what occassion those jackets will fit. Maybe I’m also disconnected…

19. tbn

November 5, 2009 at 4:10 am

The jackets i’m talking about are the blue and red army-style jackets and the green and white ones.

20. lola

November 5, 2009 at 4:50 am

wow.
    the topshop, h&m, polo combo and the tm lewis, balmain combo those are very cool. and the one with u in the green cardigan next to the stop sign

you don’t seem to have any one style though. I think most people have one style. you seem all over the place. from urban to preppy to oldschool etc. most ppl don’t change like that everyday. the style i like best are the ones i mentioned. it looks classy prep i hope u keep that style as ur main one :p it fits u most. well I don’t know u so do what u like.

overall, very nice. u seem like a cool person

21. Nneka

November 5, 2009 at 5:18 am

It’s funny how I find the male my style posts more interesting but I just never know how to really assess their looks; just a lot of grey areas for me generally.Oh boy…. I like this dude’s slightly cocky confidence in his description of his style. Other high points 4 me:
    * The pic with the purple top; you can see some of (what i believe are) his sketches behind him.
    *The green ‘MJ’ jacket pic. The camera loves Funfere.
    *The “no parking anytime” attire. My fav look. Clean, timeless looks always works for me.
    * the DG frames and the topshop waist coat pic. Love all in it.
    * The jeans he wore in his abs-showing pic. I bet many of you will have to look at that pic again to notice anything else but the abs,lol, heck yeah, he actually has clothes on there.

Other not-so-it points:
    * that ‘MO’rtifying HAWK has gat to go!
    * Sorry this has little to do with his style, but he looks soooo young, my eyes feel violated. Please tell me he’s over 18!Heck yeah I heard him…he’s a junior in college but that doesn’t mean he’s over 18.

Overall, not bad style to me.

22. khadiva

November 5, 2009 at 6:02 am

awesome style !!!

23. Ink

November 5, 2009 at 6:18 am

i think i just caught the flu-cos this guy’s style is too SICK!
    damn, he’s so flyyy.

24. elizabeth

November 5, 2009 at 6:20 am

I’m feeling it. This kids got style!

25. THE AMAKA

November 5, 2009 at 7:26 am

hmmmmmm im loving the style.
    very unique.

26. Igwe

November 5, 2009 at 11:28 am

very stylish. I’m impressed.

27. cynthia

November 5, 2009 at 11:39 am

Woaaahhh, hats off to ya mate! Love your individuality…keep expressin’

28. Jay

November 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

Thanks, Bella. Please could you feature taller/more mature men next?

29. Koro

November 5, 2009 at 3:13 pm

@ Jay
    taller and more mature men?
    wow

30. khadiva

November 5, 2009 at 4:52 pm

he’s actually a year or two over 18. some p’ple are just blessed with young ageless looks

31. nat

November 5, 2009 at 5:26 pm

@ Jay
    i second koro
    taller/more mature men??

32. NaijaCanadian

November 5, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Loving Koro’s style…. very nice!

33. silva

November 5, 2009 at 6:57 pm

lol….true talk… and plenty of time too…

34. Aleesha

November 5, 2009 at 7:08 pm

hes pretty unique, yep his swagg is def. up there… if theres one thing the U.S is good for is its variety of shopping places…haha dont mean to diss my country but..yea…

im guessing that that last pic was for the ladies!*wink*

35. Anya

November 5, 2009 at 7:55 pm

This was very stylish, ah fresh! I love those black loafers/male flats with the skeleton bone print. And those blue shades make dude look like the black guy from Star Trek (Next Generation). Aww, he’s got that young SWAGGER – very cute. But then I saw those shirtless photos & I’m thinking about rocking the cradle.. damn!

36. Bee(bayo)

November 5, 2009 at 8:16 pm

funfere mehhnn!! too proud of you..repping naija too well, you already know cuz ive told you before your style is too sick, its too you and thats the ebst thing!! thumbs up

37. Nma

November 5, 2009 at 9:45 pm

jeez dude…ur style is fresh as heck!!!!!!
    LOVE it all up!…nothing hotter than a man that knows how to dress and carries himself well! Gr8 job jare!
    And u take awesome photos!

38. Sia

November 5, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I love that he is fearless and he is having fun. I have noticed that Nigerian guys are too shy to play dress up. They are usually trendy. I remember when they all wore baggy pants because they were were in. They moved on to Kanye’s style now everyone is doing fresh boy. Puhlease.. Lol..

I love Funfere Koroye!! He is young, fresh, and killing it. As he gets older his style will evolve.

39. mayowalulu

November 6, 2009 at 1:00 am

WOWW! SOO YOU ARE GOOD LOOKING.

40. Amina

November 6, 2009 at 2:28 am

Jay…wat do u mean by dat..if u r a guy u dnt have as much style as dis…nd if u r a girl he can still teach u a thing or too..shebi koromone…

41. Mel

November 6, 2009 at 6:31 am

love the preppy style. It works out fine. guys should start dressing like this more often. the whole baggy shirts and baggy jeans are soo 2000. actually too souljah boy tell em. so this guy is just amazing. This is how i want my bf to dress lol.Just don’t carry the bags in public please!!

42. Jay

November 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Well, I noticed both guys featured so far have had a similar age and body build. Variety is the spice of life abi? Or is it only students that have style? Bella feature professional men in their early 30s too please!

43. Miss Fizzy

November 6, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Jay abeg stop hassling Bella. Is it not people that send in their info that she features? If these “mature men” send in their ish, did she say she won’t use them? If you’re so concerned why don’t you send yours in? Shebi you’re a mature professional yourself.

44. Jay

November 6, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Bella is here to meet her readers’ demands so I have a right to ask, don’t you think? Why get so offended by someone else’s polite opinion?

45. Jay

November 6, 2009 at 5:11 pm

@ Miss Fizzy: Bella is here to meet her readers’ demands so I have a right to ask. Why get so offended by someone else’s polite opinion? If Bella puts the word out, a new crop of men may respond. I am not male btw.

46. jen

November 7, 2009 at 4:24 am

Poor Africa, Poor AFricans

47. ld

November 7, 2009 at 8:04 am

not in this case…pele!

48. ld

November 7, 2009 at 8:07 am

Do you pay her that she is meeting your demands?

49. Miss Fizzy

November 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Should she put out an ad in the papers or something? Every style feature she puts up has information on how people can get involved. It’s up to them to get in touch. If you have male friends YOU can convince them to enter their info. I hardly think Bella is going to start trawling the streets looking for some older well dressed men.

“It’s your regular dose of the BN feature; My Style! If you are interested in appearing on this page, simply send two pictures of yourself or that of a friend depicting a typical Day and Night Look with a short summary of your style to my email box: [email protected]” I think that is sufficient. Lots of people read these features, the information is not hidden.

I’m not offended. I’m sorry if it seemed like I was, but I was mildly irked by the fact that you kept repeating your comment when information regarding how people enter is at the top of your feature.

This is a free website. We don’t pay for the privilege of reading it so Bella doesn’t really owe us anything. I believe she goes above and beyond for the readers as it is. Gosh I didn’t mean for this comment to get so long.

50. Miss Fizzy

November 7, 2009 at 12:36 pm

What do you mean exactly?

51. Jay

November 7, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Wow, are you Bella’s mouthpiece sef? Why so interested in this case eh miss fizzy? Hmmm. Whether readers are paying or not, I know Bella aims to keep us happy as a good blogger cherishes all readers and considers their interests. Comments were repeated cos the site keeps freezing up! Bella is doing a great job and well done to all who have featured but ‘in my own opinion’ I want to see something different. Why do you have such a big problem with a message that was not even directed at you, ma?

52. Jay

November 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Um, miss fizzy, here you are hating on the Ed Hardy jeans and band jackets yet you won’t allow anyone else express a different opinion? Hmmm. Human beings na wa ohh.

53. Miss Fizzy

November 7, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Lol Jay, I apologize I really do, I wasn’t trying to attack you. Just like you were stating an opinion I was stating mine as well, I wasn’t trying to get personal with it. I do not have a problem with you Jay, believe that. However, I still believe Bella is doing a good job and that it’s up to the readers to improve things that they want improved with their own input. For instance, I want to see natural haired girls on here, so I’m preparing my own feature. It’s give and take isn’t it? Again sorry if I sounded harsh, I’m not a hater.

54. Yori

November 7, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Young man, your style is definitely HAWT. Keep rocking these outfits while you can. Please be one of those men whose dressing ages just as gracefully as they do. You get 5 stars from me!!

55. oreo

November 8, 2009 at 3:01 am

I’ve seen you on lookbook before and I absolutely loveee your style!

56. hellish

November 8, 2009 at 4:38 am

dayummmm…. that pic with the purple tshirt, ur lips are so scrumptious.
    ur style rocks, love love it!

57. funtizzy

November 8, 2009 at 5:36 am

Funfere , woo! nice!

58. KK

November 9, 2009 at 12:31 am

it is his personal style but their are spaces for comments.that means we also have a right to air our view and disagree with the style abi?
    well, in that case, this style is not working for me.
    i am too conservative to feel comfortable with a man with earring let alone a pair.
    the clothes are not adaptable.there are very few places you can wear these to.maybe, beach, party, club and classes.
    there should be a wide variety showing the ability of the person to dress well and stylish for all occasions.

59. eva

November 9, 2009 at 7:12 pm

there really nothing special abt this style half the boys in new york look exactly same way..

60. Nyazivea

November 10, 2009 at 1:02 am

CRC’s funfere …noice…

61. Ash

November 10, 2009 at 2:05 am

wow! this the first time i’ve been envious of a man’s shoe collection. i like his look, but he should definitely ditch the shorts and ed hardy jeans and grow out a fro. he looked really nice in the first pic.

62. maya

November 10, 2009 at 3:16 am

Its like you walked out of the pages of GQ magazine African Edition….go on with your badself !

63. tintin

November 13, 2009 at 11:15 am

Sorry did anyone see those abs..i am heading back to the gym!

64. fatima

November 13, 2009 at 3:10 pm

BOY!!!U R D BIZNESS!!!!!

65. Tumi Jegede

November 16, 2009 at 5:52 am

Hey,

I think uniqueness is comparative to what goes on around you, but I have to give it to you, you are definitely unique, yes, some of the looks may have been done before, but collectively, you seem very unique, and this means your style also looks outstanding. Your last picture reminds me of a MANGA character.

This is cool, I think you pull it off really well, and a guy on the style page is a nice change 🙂

66. vannybaby

November 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm

boy u r rocking it and am loving ur style u r hot

67. miss bass

November 19, 2009 at 2:51 pm

hmm dis guy has p…..deff rocking it!!!

68. black nubia

November 23, 2009 at 1:47 am

nice,he is definitely afro-metrosexual…..very nice

69. Obi-talk

November 24, 2009 at 2:12 am

swagger, swagger, swagger all the way!!!!!!!! Boy ur style is HAWT!!!!!! As in I cannt shout…

70. kenny chinegwu

December 3, 2009 at 1:10 pm

1 word “2 Gbaski” ohh dats 2 lol

71. Adesina

January 1, 2010 at 5:24 am

he dresses ok, but not original at all…..every black boy at my school dresses like him…….skinny jeans, polo, ed hardy……….soo main stream

72. DJ

June 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm

am definitely the last to comment on this page but i think ur style is sooooooooo fly and i love all of it maybe minus the mohawk where u skinned all of the sides…

73. Kemi

August 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm

why do all them people posting their style on BN have to be abroad? Are we saying we dont have any high profile, damn stylish & deeply rooted in naija folks? just my opinion though.