News

Tragedy in Lagos…Banker Yinka Johnson Arrested for Allegedly Driving Recklessly & Killing LASTMA Official Hammed Balogun | Friends & Family Dispute Story – Appeal to Eye Witnesses to Come Forward

The Deceased, Hammed Balogun standing beside Yinka Johnson, the accused’s car

On Friday, August 10 2012, Mother of 3 and Stanbic IBTC Bank Employee, Yinka Johnson was driving along the Lekki Expressway. She was stopped by a member of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) who accused her of infringing traffic rules…

At this point, two versions of the story appear. According to LASTMA, Yinka killed one of their staff, Hammed Balogun by driving recklessly while attempting to evade LASTMA officials.
According to Yinka’s family and friends, a Danfo bus hit the victim, Mr Balogun and now Mrs Johnson is being falsely accused.

Below are the two accounts of the tragic incident. Yinka Johnson is currently being detailed in Panti Prison (with her 2 month old baby who is still reliant on the mother for feeding) while Hammed Balogun’s corpse is in the Lagos State Teaching Hospital awaiting an autopsy.

BN encourages any eye witnesses to come forward immediately.

LASTMA’s Account via their official website

A 33 year old Hammed Balogun a staff of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) was this morning killed by a banker along Lekki-Ajah Expressway while carrying out his official assignment at his duty post at Mega City, Ajah area of Lagos. The driver whose identity was revealed by the Auto Inspector device as Yinka Johnson a staff of IBTC drove in a Green Landover Jeep SUV with registration Plate number CY 276 LSD against traffic from Mega chicken inward toll Plaza two (2) and was intercepted by three officials of LASTMA led by the Head of Operations, Mr Quayum Asafa for traffic violation.

In a drama like scene, Johnson started driving recklessly in other to escape contravention and in the process ran over the officer. The deceased was rushed down to Germaine Hospital where he later died as a result of injury sustained from the accident while the corpse was deposited at the Lagos State Teaching Hospital, Ikeja for autopsy.

Realising what she has done, she ran and escaped from the scene of the incident immediately into Ikota Estate, Ajah with the security men shutting the gate permanently. The situation became riotous as the security attached to the gate refused all entries to open the gate until the intervention of the Area Commander in charge of Area J, Mr Felix Uwamli who mobilized and called for backup before access could be gained into the Estate. The suspect was finally arrested and taken to Ajiwe Police station from where she was transferred to the Criminal Investigative Department, Panti for further interrogations.

Confirming the incident, the General Manager LASTMA, Engr. Babatunde Edu lamented the callous killings of two (2) of his officers within a month and attributed this to the impatient and indiscipline acts often demonstrated by reckless drivers in the State.

The General Manager recalled that as a responsive and responsible Government committed to the safety of lives and property of Lagosians, His Excellency, the Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola, SAN on Thursday, August 2, 2012 signed into law the New Road Traffic Law that provides for Road Traffic Administration to sanitize the State of bad driving culture and also maintain law and order on Lagos roads.

Edu regretted that despite the efforts of the State government, the non -challant attitudes of recalcitrant motorists have resulted into loss of lives or maiming of innocent citizens. He hereby appealed once again to members of the public to desist from attacking the traffic officers and to see them as dedicated Nigerians who work under the sun and inside the rain to ensure that everybody gets home on time. He said that whenever the public is aggrieved about LASTMA activities, they should not hesitate to complain at LASTMA Headquarters rather than taking the laws into their hands and assured all and sundry of justice and fairness whenever such complaint is made.

Bola Ajao – PRO LASTMA

Yinka Johnson’s version via her friends

You might have heard the story going round about the Banker who allegedly killed a LASTMA official by knocking him down with her car.
Eye witnesses on the scene insist that the LASTMA official was in fact knocked down by a Danfo bus he was trying to accost AFTER he arrested the Banker for a traffic offence.
LASTMA is trying to skew the story as murder and she is currently in detention. Please note that I have seen her car and it doesn’t have a single dent on it.
Kindly spread the word and encourage eye witnesses to come forward and give statements at Panti where she is being held.
She is a mother of 3 (including a 2mth old baby who is with her in detention). I know her personally.
Please note that the incident happened yesterday morning 10/08/2012 at Ikota, Lekki Express Way. She was on her way to work.
Please call 08037076890 if you have information or witnessed what actually happened. We need eye witnesses to counter their lies.

Statement 2
You may have seen the sensational headlines about a banker crushing a Lastma official to death. This is not true.

Yinka was sitting with a Lastma Official in her stationery car which was about to be towed when another Lastma official on the road was run over by a danfo (comercial bus) quite some distance from her car.

Her car bears no signs of impact as evidence and eye witnesses in the nearby taxi park confirmed this.

The stories accusing her of murder were instigated by unscrupulous Lastma officials who are peddling the false charges and trigger-happy journalists who published uncorroborated stories of the incident without visiting the scene, checking with eye witnesses nor checking with the accused.

A traffic offence and murder are certainly 2 different things. Yinka Johnson certainly did not commit murder. She’s a mother of three who instead of spending a peaceful weekend with her family is sleeping in a police station with her 2 month old baby, falsely accused.

In cases like this, there are no winners, it is so tragic. Please help if you can provide any eye witness information on this case.

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Nneka

August 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Lastma dey over do things at times. May the departed soul rest in peace & may Yinka be vindicated if she’s innocent. I was not there & can’t say what I do not know. Let GOD be the judge here.

2. Ronnie

August 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Too sad. I hope someone comes out with the truth. It really is a sad one.

3. Clement

August 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

‘In fact, her car was about being towed as can be seen from the picture on the lastma website. You can also see from the picture posted there that the car was empty. How did she get back in, ram the towing vehicle and killed the LASTMA man?’
    Your reporting is so one sided. How she was able to run away to her residence if the car was empty beats my imagination. Perhaps maybe the dead LASTMA man’s ghost was behind the wheels when the SUV drove to Ikota. Get serious and stop complicating issues please. Thank you.

• lucabracee

August 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm

mr man you were not there,i hope you realise that while she may be in jail her children still have a mother??
      an innocent man is in the mortuary and his offence/doing his job why would lastma single her out of thousands of commuters because she is related to goo luck jonathan?
      why did she run to ikota estate or was it her ghostly apparition?

• Angel

August 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Clement; I don’t see it written anywhere that the running was done by her driving. Isn’t it possible she ran ON FOOT? Let’s try to be open minded when reading.

• Omolola

August 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm

~smh I wonder why ppl are quick to judge their fellow humans, It might be you, u knw. She is innocent until proven guilty and from what i jst heard, she has been proved innocent. Don’t be quick to judge

4. Lois

August 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

My family discussed this matter this morning and it ended up with opinions for and against the banker and lastma official. In the lagos that I’ve lived all my life and especially in that vicinity(less than half a km away), Lastma officials and police prey on the residents so far you drive a correct car and most importantly contravene traffic rules. For Danfo drivers, they have no issues with Lastma as I learnt they pay them in the mornings and thus go about their craziness without any hullabaloo from Lastma officials, But, I must say that Yinka Johnson is way so wrong and thus must be purnished appropriately but as for killing the Lastma guy, that i have no take on as I hope justice will take its course without punishing the wrong person. My man tells me and I have learnt that if one hurry to get home and thus take one way, cross inappropriate places, and make wrong turns and you get caught, you end up spending more time than you intend to keep. The two (Lastma official and Yinka))have lost now. The former having his dreams end abruptly by jeopardising his life and the latter by most likely loosing her plum job, her family if jailed and reputation. So at the end of the day, is it worth it?

• Cindy

August 11, 2012 at 2:41 pm

5. mimi Rowlz

August 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Neka nuffsaid…Let God really b d judge cuz noone knws d actual story.

6. chikmore

August 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm

τ̣̣ђё woman should ßε̲̣̣̣̥ jailed for life she is puff up with pride απϑ arrogant

• omonaija123

August 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm

please, u should know what exactly transpired before you judge the story…@puffed up with pride and arrogance’ have u seen or spoken with her to know how she behaves……..

• Alex Akindumila

August 11, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I hope it occurs to you that you have pronounced judgment on an incident that you did not witness and real facts are still unconfirmed. This in itself calls your sense of humanity to question and belittles your faculty. I advise that we encourage and let eye-witnesses come up and tell us the true story.
      You pronounce a woman arrogant who you do not even know, you say “she is puff with pride” (whatever that means) and you most probably have NEVER seen her or heard her talk, how you come to these conclusions is amazing.

• will

August 12, 2012 at 7:58 am

chikmore,i know it’s the envy in u thats talking not you….beefing its called i guz,oloponokiku

• Ganzoga

August 13, 2012 at 1:48 am

Thats not enough reason to jail somebody, so keep sentiment out of it.

• Don S

August 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

u dont know lastma dats why u dey talk like that.

• Ibukun

August 14, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Did you even read what you wrote? You know the woman abi? Gosh, some people just baffle me. And I’m sure when the news of her innocence is out, you’ll have something to say as well. Msheeew! Jailed for life ba? Be careful what you say….boomerang effect

• Thyma

August 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm

May almighty Allah forgive u

7. Princess of Zion

August 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Rest in perfect peace!
    This is all too sad; people trying to evade fines and hit a LASTMA official trying to do his job! Please, paying a fine weighs much less than killing someone.
    LASTMA needs to educate their staff members on effective and safe conduct on the roads; yes some people will try to run away; let them run if it’s going to be at the expense of your safety/life.
    I just pray that the Lord will console the family of the departed and the truth will come out.
    However, running over LASTMA officials needs to stop!

8. adenike!

August 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Guilty or not,she’s in for a whole lot of agony and God knows I truly pity her. Saw the story on twitter around 9am today and my heart just went out to her. That being said,I don’t believe the 2nd story. Did she run into the estate? Why exactly did she run into the estate? Was there a riotus situation at the end of the day cos she ran into the estate? Was the gate locked? This isn’t something LASTMA would frame up cos this time around,so many eyewitnesses would be involved – those who witnessed the riotus situation. Yes I can see her car was about to be towed while talking to the deceased – what if she reversed and hit the official in the process? Yes it is possible. We all know how overzealous LASTMA officials can be when you’re trying to run away from them;the silly people jump in front of your car. I’m afraid,I don’t believe the second account because there are so many unanswered questions. She’d better get a very good lawyer cos this is one hell of a big issue.

9. Nenyenwa

August 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm

in such incidence, eye witness account is very important cos 2minutes after is enough to change a story.it happened to someone close to.when she is suppose to be paid for damages , police was busy ripping her off cos of her kleen SUV and where she works.while at it, her car was impounded. Naija style is always a case of putting razz razz in zee zee

10. drama king

August 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Only God knows what actually went down there. LASTMA folks should please take their own safety seriously and stop jumping in front of moving vehicles.

11. StoryTeller

August 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm

i really hope the wrong person is not punished. Eye witnesses should please come forward if there is any.

12. christy

August 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Don’t know who to believe,but I don’t understand why so much emphases is laid on her having 2 month old baby,so – what?

13. Lani

August 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Why is her baby with her? Cos she is breast feeding? Its not enough to keep a baby in detention, please let them hand her/him over to appropriate carers. I hope for the sake of all those involved that the truth comes out. If she is guilty, let her pay. If she is not, let her go home in peace. God knows that she will be traumatised either way.

14. Cindy

August 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Lois you spoke my mind.its not worth it at all. Sometimes its even good to stay put and avoid trouble,nobody gains frm trouble na and lastma guys have to be reallllly careful and conscious too,I mean I have seen these guys stand in front of cars like they have some extra powers ehn,does it work that way?Now he’s dead the other woman is in police custody their families are sad so who’s happy now? May God deliver us all

15. MEE

August 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Christy I just wonder d kind of person u are, all ur comments on bellanaija is always off point, stupid,rude,angry,n I really don’t know wat else to add! Pls how exactly did anyone emphasis on she having a 2months old baby? Was it mentioned twice? I bet if ot were ur relative or friend who was in dis situation,u’d be saying odawise, u r free free to make ur own comments however it pleases u, but trust me,u say very annoying things most of d time see anoda of ur kind saying d woman is arrogant n proud! Ds was exactly how ibinabo fiberisima’s case was turned sensational,just cos she was a public figure,I hear d case is still pending..dey r only asking eye witnesses to com n say wat they saw, I wasn’t there,so am not taking sides, we are very sentimental when it comes to issues like dis cos we know d kind of country we live in. May the wrong person be punished is all I can say! N I believ God would intervene.

16. salsera

August 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

If her friends say there were eye witnesses then why are they asking for eye witnesses to come forward. If her car was to be towed then how did she leave and enter an estate? Even the reporters have not brought out witnesses to refute or corroborate both claims. I dont like the reference to her 2month old baby, since when does that make her innocent of commiting a crime. Lastma officials can be overzealous and I honestly believe there should be better ways of apprehending people for crimes. Since the auto inspector works then that traffic offence should have been traced to her details and a fine given. Physically stopping vehicles is not safe.
    Needless to say Lastma officials are human beings too and work under sun and rain to do their duties. Were is the danfo driver? All in all I pray an innocent person isn’t accused

17. MsSexy

August 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm

OMG this must be tough for both families cause as far as am concerned; what that woman wl go thru we cannot imagine or else she has a very brilliant lawyer, having said the families of d deceased wl not fold their arms as well and watch their breadwinner die like that, eyewitnesses shd come out and recently v not noticed women to be this rough, why wl she run away wt this kind of a car when u can settle wt lasma? D story get k-leg for me jor
    They’ve arrested me before in Ikoyi and that day I was meant to travel, they even got super doper excited cause they saw me checking on a passport as I was coming from alagbon and I was trying to see f d passport I went to collect was not altered, I explained to them I didn’t know iChat happened, one actually jumped n my car, which I think is wrong, cause I may be a kidnapper but @ d end of d day we settled it, he saw some few wads of $$$ on me and he was jumping like a kid n a candy store – so small settlement wld v killed all these mess
    I feel for her

18. Q

August 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm

@christy,thank u oh.tand y we are being distracted from the story with that.d lasthma guy is most likely a father too or had a wife or even a girlfriend…mum or even a dad..family…whatever!!
    Madam’s friends should attempt telling us whatever their real story is instead of just saying d lasthma story is a lie…what exactly happened after she was arrested?
    It’s really un4unate but after all d stories with 3years in prison someone can still pass one way so soon….yes,lasthma is annoying but they made lago
    RIP Sir&all d best to u madam!

19. Bhol

August 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Its so obvious dat her car had been hooked down already,i wonder how she still managed to ram it over d guy nd killed him.LASTMA guys should pls learn to put Safety first in their Job.May his soul RIP

20. Okechukwu Ofili

August 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I really hate LASTMA so it will be difficult for my comment to be unbiased. But those guys intimidate and harrass people. And have no regard for their lives. They jump in front of cars, enter strangers cars and are overtly aggressive towards people. If Fashola wants to make a difference he should teach his people how to respect people.

• michelle

August 12, 2012 at 7:38 am

Exactly ofili. although this doesnt justify their killing, but the lastma officials should work on their conduct on the road. They are not invincible so why jump in front of cars in a bid to accost drivers? Whatever happened to taking down their plate numbers?We only have one life. This crazy attitude has to stop to prevent further ugly incidents. RIP Lastma official

• IfeD

August 12, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I wasn’t there but as a woman I knw these officials take advantage of us women. I remember being 6 months pregnant, just moved to Lagos and I wound down to ask 1 near d turn into awolowo road from 3rd mainland if I was at the Munson descent and before I knew it they attacked me, jumped into the car and said I was obstructing traffic. I cried like a baby that day, they dnt care a heavily pregnant woman was asking them to say the truth – all I asked was for confirmation. So I’m sorry I do not believe lastma, they all take advantage of young women driving nice cars – cos of them and police I got a driver. They need serious orientation!!

21. Oma

August 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hope the truth comes out and fair justice given.

22. Natural winner

August 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Why on earth do we Nigerians like behaving so uncivilized and uncultured?…

23. chinco

August 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm

She should get a very good lawyer. If her own version is true then he/she will be able to proove so. But its really tragic. I think people should do the right thing in the first place so they don’t get into more trouble. (Referring to her passing one way)

24. eva

August 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

How come there isnt a picture of this online. Nigerians r very gud in snappibg incidents im quite surprised. pls u dont want to be an eye witness u cud pe a photo witness. vindicate the vindicatable.

25. Emmanuel

August 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm

She was already stopped by the officials of LASTMA. So how was she driving recklessly again. What I think may have happened, is that, she was stopped and while booking her a Danfo driver ran over the official and in the whole confusion, she decided to escape the scene of the incident(I think that was a wrong move).
    I am not an eye witness, but I have been in a situation where instead of staying put, I panicked and acted stupidly.
    Whatever be the case, may the wrong person not be punished. But LASTMA do take unnecessary risk.

• happyhilly

August 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Exactly what I’m thinking. Not sure though. But where are the eye witnesses?

26. Kay

August 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm

chikmore u sound so intimidated, who’s fault is it that you dont have a rover, lol … deal wit ur complex men! as for Christy asking why emphasis on two month old baby, well let me explain, at two months the baby still feeds on strictly mama’s breast milk. You sound so unemotinal, are u in a relationship talk more of being married, cos if u re experiencin any form of love relationship in ur life right now, u wouldnt sound like that, do u know the bond btw mother n new born? I just pray for yinka jare, i know what police and lastma can do, a friend of mine was arrested once and wen told to write his statement they were dictating what he should write, he realised they were tryna implicate him and objected and they told him u think ur smart we will show u ! The media should get their facts abeg am disappointed that our press has published the falacy lastma cooked up without proof of facts, they all just seek for attention with the best headlines and all, what happened to the truth being told, dont we have a right to know what really happened, did they hear Yinka’s part of the story? yet they already published jagons judgin her before all. May God rest the balogun guy’s soul sha, even though i beliv he must have caused his death cos i see how lastma jump in front of moving vehicles a lot. I hope others have learnt from his ordeal. Thanks Bellanaija for not joinin the rest hypocritous media in publishing cock n boo stories, thanks for givin Yinka a benefit of doubt, U ROCK!

27. yabsy

August 11, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I pray there will be reliable witnesses who can come forward. If truly Yinka hit Hammed, her car would be dented. In this pic, we see the car empty and Hammed on the side of the road, he could have been hit by another car. Yinka could not have gotten back in the car to hit him. Lastma, please educate and train ur men, never to stand in harms way. No matter he training Govt gives these Lastma guys 95 percent of tHem are thugs and agberos. Only proper investigation can absolve Yinka of this accusations and counter accusations. As for the Lastma guy, it was quite unfortuunate. It is indeed a great lesson to all.

28. stephanie

August 11, 2012 at 6:19 pm

@christy you must be a very heartless and wicked soul for you to say so what for a two month old,it goes to show hw your mind works.you so piss me off big time.

29. Suuiaidl

August 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Dang…

30. FemiF

August 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm

There should be a forensic assessment, period! Was there a dent on the lady’s car? Any blood stains? If yes, does the DNA on the Land Rover match the LASTMA official’s? When the accident happened, were the police called? If yes, can we see the evidence of the accident scene markings, pictures and other so on. If there is a case, then the matter should go to court with special consideration and compassion for the 2-month old while the trial lasts….just my 2 cents.

• Jay

August 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Too much crime and investigation…… There’s only one dead man so the DNA / blood on the rover ( if any) would match the dead man’s!

31. Curious

August 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm

My take is what has her profession got to do with anything? Why use the word “Banker” in place of Woman? Does that make it easier for us to believe or discredit either side of the story? In my opinion, it feels like LASTMA titled the story that way to get sympathy. @ least someone has already commented that she is “puffed up with pride” not because I believe that person knows her but just because S/he has heard she is a “Banker”. In all, may justice prevail.

32. Joseph friks

August 11, 2012 at 7:39 pm

It’s about time someone said something.

33. ola

August 11, 2012 at 7:43 pm

R I P…more news and gist here at http://www.gistyinka.com

34. my two cents

August 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm

The first thing I thought when I heard about it was ‘what was he doing when the car hit him?’ They say she was evading arrest when she hit him. What was he doing that put him in her path for her to hit him? Was he standing in her path thinking he had body armour to stop the car? I’m sorry but the LASTMA version makes no sense to me. If a car was speeding, running from the authorities, it makes no sense that he was standing in her path. Nobody loves their job that much in Naija. Or anywhere in the world for that matter. Except they are saying that he was retarded.
    I live in Lagos so I know how they operate. While I’m sorry that he is dead, my sympathy is more for his family. Because, assuming that the LASTMA version is true, he was very stupid to be standing in the path of a vehicle that was being driven recklessly, trying to escape the law. I don’t care the traffic offence, it’s not worth your life. It makes more sense that he was killed by someone whom would ordinarily have stopped but didn’t and that is why he did not move out of the way. Let’s be realistic enough to admit that it more likely that he would stand in the path of a damfo than someone escaping arrest. I suspect that she is being blamed because they are hoping that she will eventually settle his family which is something that we all know is the thinking pattern for a lot of people in this kind of situation.
    The only thing that can be done is to come out with a picture of the said vehicle, because if the impact was enough to cause death, then there will definitely be a big dent on the car. Unfortunately, my experience with these people is that now that the woman’s family has brought up the fact that her car was not damaged, they will go and damage her car to back their version. If her family believes in God, they can only turn to God to reveal all and get themselves a very good lawyer.

35. DeMorrieaux

August 11, 2012 at 8:26 pm

A couple of months ago it was announced (here in Vienna, Austria) that Nigerian driving licences were not allowed. As in, people could actually legally drive with their licences here. We all laughed.. Do they know what they have just agreed upon?

A few weeks back a Nigerian living here decided to finally travel back to Nigeria and visit his family (after 10 years abroad). He drove his car in Lagos, which was later on “scratched” by another female driver. He decided to get out of his car, check what exactly happened and then asked the lady “Why now?” She got upset at his stupidity, and warned him, “Ode, get out of the way or I will kill you!” Needless to say, he looked at her, amazed, and laughed.. this was obviously a joke. He did not get out of the way but told her to come out and see for herself what she had done to his car. She looked at him, reversed, hit him brutally, watched him fall to the ground (he died!) and drove off.

A relative here told me the story, I broke down crying. Only in Nigeria.

There is a need for people to GENERALLY be more law-abiding. There is no respect for human life in Nigeria.It’s worrying, and it is very very sad! Why wouldn’t such things happen? Plus a place with no traffic cameras.. nomforensics.. smh.. Nigeria has a veeery long way to go.

36. Cool cat

August 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

@emmanuel. You’ve just echoed my thoughts. The biggest mistake she made was fleeing the scene of the incident. If by her family/friend’s account, the danfo bus ran into the man, she should have stayed, even tried to help the injured man before leaving. There would never have been any need for an arrest if she’d done that.

I know the spot very well, it’s annoying having to go turn all the way at ikota complex but it’s worth the trouble. I also wonder why her baby is with her in detention when her husband has made some comments.

Very sad indeed

37. Onowighose Micah

August 11, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Its amazing. How can a parked car about to be towed knock down a lastma officer?

38. yinkas friend

August 11, 2012 at 10:12 pm

first things first, reference is being made to her infant for several reasons, she had a csection barely 2 mnths back, she was anaemic thus she didnt have the stamina, the supposed reckless driver did! that said,thank God witnesses are coming out to say what really happened, infact a witness in the danfa bus that crushed the lastma official is willing to testify…she was doing a one way(stupid idea), she was accosted, while there(in her car) a danfo bus runs into a lastma official that was engaged in a scuffle with some other guy, danfo speeds off, guy dissapears into thin air, yinka is the only one left at the scene! lastma officials carry their wounded colleague(God rest him) and attempt to put him into yinkas car, and the bystanders and okada ppl protest, saying if they do, or she agrees to it, then she would be held accountable so no!in all of that drama she is confused and steps out afraid that they(lastma)would attempt to mob the car(the engine still running)then a man from nowhere jumps into the car, as she sees this she jumps into the passenger seat, he says she shld seat tight while he drives the car into her estate…the lastma guys mobilise and get back to the estate, physically beat the guy who drove the car and drove the car away(without yinka in it)…yinka calls her husband, after which she immediately thought to report the incident to the nearest police station, while she was yet filing her case, she sees the officer who drove her car away and she called the attention of the filing officer to it, they inturn turn the tables on her saying she was a wanted person…that was the genesis of her journey to panti, her baby was not with her at the point of arrest, the infant had to be brought over to panti to suckle(but that is beside the point)…has nothing to do with “aiding her innocence”it is unfortunate what has happened, and a really messy situation…..it is all the more sickening that lastma would want to make a scapegoat out of an innocent woman….guilty for violating a traffic offence, YES! but absolutely innocent of murder charges…..we will be posting video evidence of witnesses at the scene……

• Iris

August 11, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Oh my days, if this is really what happened then I pray everything gets cleared up asap. Driving in this town is so scary, I pray before I leave my house and I thank God once I drive back in. The possibility that it was a totally different vehicle and she’s taking the blame for it…

• enkay

August 12, 2012 at 5:01 am

sounds more like it, God will definitely see her through as long as she is innocent. it will be so disappointing if the Latsma guys can actually and intentionally frame an innocent woman up.

• will

August 12, 2012 at 8:21 am

…..that said,pls why is Yinka back at wrk anywayz,i tot she shld or wld still be on leave,or isnt it 90days anymr(guz she startd her leave b4 delivery)olohun a ko e yo ooo Yinka,pele

39. Janded

August 11, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Hmmm. This is a tough one sha. God will make a way for all involved

40. CLP

August 11, 2012 at 11:31 pm

This was a very avoidable situation if only she had obeyed traffic rules! Hope lessons are learnt. Hope she gets out of this very serious and image-damaging accusation. Good luck to her and her family- they would need it.

41. eva

August 11, 2012 at 11:33 pm

@yinka’s friend r y saying she was put in the cell for being guilty of traffic offence not what blogs r saying?

42. Ezy

August 11, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Was chilled to my bones this morning when I heard the news.The fact the she is a woman with a two month baby and a banker is not the story here. A friend of mine lost her brother in a lady hit and run related incident. I was hit by a lady and her driver and the lady who was breastfeeding her baby in the car when they hit me asked her driver to run away. I caught up with thShe committed a traffic offence. She was stopped by LASTMA. The LASTMA official was hit by a vehicle. The LASTMA man died. She ran.

• Ezy

August 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Sorry my baby helped me to post the previous comment . Let us learn to obey traffic rules. If police or traffic officials stop you obey. The fact remains that she drove against traffic. If she did not, there is no devil that would have dragged her into this mess. The reality is that she is facing up to 14 years jail term for manslaughter, in addition of a lifetime of regrets. As for LASTMA officials, they should be properly trained and equipped to do their job. If street cameras were available, all the LASTMA had to do was to get a tape of her driving and charge her to court. Our government should embrace technology as a tool for law enforcement. In summary, its a big tragedy!

43. Toyin

August 12, 2012 at 12:41 am

May the soul of the departed rest in peace. I tend to want to believe the story of Yinka’s friend. Abroad there would have been no controversy. Forensic investigation would reveal very quickly what happened. The crime scene, the position of the corpse,the vehicle itself will reveal so much evidence. However, if the truth be told, LASMA officials are fond of jumping in front of vehicles when an arrest is made. In addition, they are fond of hiding at corners, out of view. At times one is not aware that a particular street is one-way because there are no road signs to warn one. All of a sudden, immediately you make the turn, the LASMA officials will just jump out of hiding and stand in front of your vehicle. Of course the next thing is that one of the LASMA officials will try and open the door beside the driver to seat inside. They will then start demanding for bribe. I hope they will take their lives more seriously and realize that life is not replaceable. My sympathy goes to the family of the deceased.

44. medina

August 12, 2012 at 1:24 am

@yinka’s friend: it will be very foolish to post video evidence of witnessess, save and file it/them for the court. dont allow the prosecuting lawyer to puncture yinka’s defence (s)… Dont care what peeps say, concentrate on protecting your/her defence. her innocence must be proven in court not online….. wishing you the very best.

45. lol

August 12, 2012 at 3:20 am

please why is the 2months old baby in detention, y r da soooo stupid in nigeria my GOD!! URRGGG!!! KMT… this is just sickening

• kk

August 13, 2012 at 2:00 am

because the baby has to suckle (eat) don’t be ignorant

• tk

August 13, 2012 at 11:23 am

If she had died, d baby will def suckle and survive.. as much as i feel sorry for her, a two month old baby is prone to diff diseases if exposed and that’s what they are doing.. Have u ever read about the state of Naija prisons? Taking the two month old baby i feel is to draw sympathy but she should please consider the health of her kid too. If she could drop d baby @ home 2 go to work, then she can always express for the baby and leave the child outta d whole mess…btw I hope this matter is resolved.. Its amazing our few minutes lack of patience can turn once life around… If only most Nigerians think that way…They can be so stupid.. Why will an educated person drive against traffic if it’s not an emergency… Its just plain annoying when u’re in traffic and u see a very good car (for me danfo drivers are just crazy) zoom past u taking the rest of you for fools…

46. vivi

August 12, 2012 at 3:51 am

Which way Nigeria???????????????
    Nigeria the seat of all corruption, I don’t know who is lying but the truth will prevail.

47. Cool cat

August 12, 2012 at 4:13 am

@yinka’s friend, thank God someone is willing to come forward to vindicate yinka. I just hope your account is not accurate cos it has several holes in it. If yinka was left alone at the scene, how did the lastma officials track her to wherever this “unknown man” drove the car to. Who handed the lastma officials the keys so they could drive the car away, lAstma official eventually became a policeman who’d driven the car away and she didn’t think to drive in the car with them? Read somewhere that she was on her way to work, a nursing mother of 2 months should still be on mat leave, ideally that is.

Anyhow she has already made the mistake of contravening traffic laws but with a good lawyer, lastma has absolutely no case against her on the manslaughter charge.

• Audrina

August 12, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I AM NOT Yinka’s friend but to fill in the missing parts.
      1. They tracked her because she went to the nearest police station to report the incident, saw one of the officials driving the car and tried to raise alarm.
      2. In the witness recount, it clearly states her engine was still running when she got out of the car,
      3.The word officer could be in relation to either the police or LASTMA.

To others questioning the relevance of the 2month old baby in the story, it is so as to invoke emotion in the readers. Any eye witness reading this story may be forced to be speedy in their coming forward because of the mention of the said child.
      I am not saying the that woman is innocent or not. Since the body is still unburied, they can check to see where the bruises can be found and the extent of the impact to ascertain whether or not her car could cause them and if the stories and the bruises are telling the same story. Yes I know we are in Naija- but one can only hope

48. jumoke

August 12, 2012 at 8:53 am

Its really a messy case right now if only the guy that drove the car away could come out nd eyewitness if not she would be wrongly accused.

49. John

August 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

This is so unfortunate because all this is untrue. I was on my way to a meeting that day, please check this plate number MT 333 (or 335) AAA. That is the vehicle that hit the LAstma official and I remember correctly cuz this same man (with another man in front) almost ran into another car a few metres ahead after fleeing the scene. There were two danfo bus drivers behind him then. If the authorities can question that particular vehicle owner, i believe they will get their answers. The car itself had a few scratches around its body.

• Niyoola

August 12, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Pls contact any of Yinka’s people/lawyer/her office. I’m sure they can help you narrate the incident to the relevant officials/authorities.

50. AKIN

August 12, 2012 at 11:16 am

Yes , she must have admitted her fault for violating traffic rule out of patient , but as for the murder charge ( according to the picture she was being intercepted face 2 face by there vehicle and if there is no dent on her vehicle ) , then she most be a James Bond 007 . I fill very bad ( sorry ) for the lost of life ….. the LAWMA should be doing there job with the sense of staying alive and the road user should keep the rule and regulation of the road . PEACE .

51. Bianca

August 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Am surprise at what am reading here.This would have been a very easy case to solve,an eye witnesses would have been unneeded if only our government knows what they are doing .Why is it that our roads lack authentic CCTV???? .Why can’t prints be taken from the land rover to discover if it has signs of hitting any one,instead of finger print,in this case it would be body print as simple as that.I can’t understand Nigeria and their ways of conducting investigations,they are insisting on an eye witness,what if d eye witness takes d side of the government,because it’s d lady’s world against d government,it could also go d other way,some one could decide to witness in favour of d lady as well.I only hope d truth comes to light ,that an innocent person is’t made to pay for a crime she did’t committee.My heart goes out to d family of d dead individual,may God walk them through this.

52. Legit

August 12, 2012 at 1:35 pm

May the soul of this lastma guy rest in peace and may God comfort his family through this loss. A life is lost and we should never never take that lightly.
    I have also been a victim of lastma several times and can really relate to this story. I dropped my mum at the airport very early one fateful Saturday and forgot it was environmental sanitation so I headed back home only to be accosted by lastma officials who took over my car and drove it to their impounding location in Ikeja. They parked the car in their compound full of cars and seized the keys and then proceeded to burst the tires. That was when I lost it! You’ve already seized the car, why burst the tires??? If you see the way they threatened me? Promised to ‘deal with me’ today. Only God saved me that day through my aunt who knew who to call.

It’s easy for us to read this and post an opinion and continue with our day like nothing happened, but the truth is that this could have been any one of us driving to work. It’s one thing to get apprehended for a traffic violation and a totally different thing to be charged with murder. Lastma has overstepped their boundaries far too many times and I dare say this is the consequence of it. Someone has lost his life because of it and typical of them, someone has to pay.
    I am a victim of Lastma and so are you, let’s speak up against this ill-powered road officials. There’s no time better than now so that no more lives are lost.

• Audrey

August 13, 2012 at 2:20 am

What they did to your car was crazy. Did they pay for the damages? I mean as you asked, what was the point of slashing the tyres? In my country we have police officers who smash windscreens but in most cases for public transport providers. Now it’s becoming less and less because one officer was asked to replace the windscreen which cost him USD 150+ which is 3/4 of his salary. They annoy me! Its a pity suing is still taboo in Africa.

• Femi Odewunmi

August 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Right now Yinka, the Police, Lastma and all the eye witnesses are at the venue including the press. The truth shall set free. An eye witness who happened to be in the bus came forward as well. Many thanks to the media agencies Punch and the rest who are interviewing the witnesses alongside the police. That was necessary to ensure their security

• Femi Odewunmi

August 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm

@Legit, thank you sooo much for you comment. Most people have regarded this incident with disdain and sarcastic comment and forget that this could have happened to anybody and i mean anybody. We have all experienced blatantly false accusations in the hands of these Lastma peope

53. A concerned Lagosian.

August 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Just two days ago, I saw a lastma official @ Sabo bus stop chasing after ‘Keke marwa’ (of all vehicles) for money. Reason – toll levy. He put a spiked object in front of the keke marwa and after money exchanged hands, he let the keke go. I now wound down and asked him if that’s what they sent him to do at bustops. He totally left the Sabo intersection and was joining the other uniformed boys and girls in their daily money collection.
    At ikoyi club road intersection, you will see 3 lastma officials sitting under a tree, waiting for anyone who makes a mistake of driving one-way and everytime they jump in front of the vehicles.
    At Onipanu bustop, they will sit idly whilst danfo buses create obstruction and nuisance. Obviously they have become part of the scenery.
    Whilst I am certain that the young lady is guilty of the traffic offence, the lastma we now know is an advanced motor park boy network. Fashola should re-organise lastma and call them to order.

54. habba!

August 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

A Lastma officer would give his life for 20naira! im telling you! its a shame that Hammed had to die because im sure he has family but no matter how much government pay these people, they always want bribe! if Yinka Johnson is guilty may she have her day in court! but if shes not this should be a lesson to Greedy Latsma men.

55. chux

August 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm

First things first… May The soul of the LASTMA official rest in PEACE. I don’t think the family if the lady is telling the total truth… Its obvious that LASTMAs translation of events is exaggerated and that’s the only reason for the Family n Friends Defence Response. According to LASTMAs report if for any reason the suv moved from point of initial arrest to a final stopping point then its most likely she’s at least partly guilty esp if she was in the car during that transition. Now, her family can’t provide either the danfo driver or a single passenger in d car. If it was really a danfo @ least 10 eye witnesses other than lastma exist and  I trust Nigerians 1 or 2 people wuda come down from the bus. The lady can only vindicate herself if she can give the public a detailed account of how the lastma official died. I believe she is partly involved… If not completely responsible. LASTMA has a bad name and many people would actually do them harm if given the chance. So why should she be any diff cos she’s a mother of three… For now she’s still Innocent until the court hearings are concluded… But B4 u guys pick sides… Think of that Lastmas officials family… Is it bcos they may be too illiterate to front a cyber statement on the death of their beloved brother, son, husband and father that we are even considering the statement of the wealthy accused? If it was a danfo minute crying that he didn’t commit the crime, would u be interested… this is the same attitude we put up when we smile with our politician next door neighbours when we know they are looting millions of public fund… The question is why treat her case different cos she has a few millions in her bank account?

56. edgar iyamu

August 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

only God can intervene in this situation.

57. Audrey

August 13, 2012 at 2:09 am

I am not from Nigeria and know nothing about driving there. I however do know how overzealous our African traffic law enforcers can be. It is possible that she was trying to escape and accidentally ran over the guy but my question is how come whoever took pictures of the parked car did not bother to take more pictures. That would have provided a lot of evidence as to what really happened and who the real perpetrator is. It would have also helped to have evidence on camera to show how these LASTMA officials allegedly are treated and how they react to such matters so such incidents can be avoided. The person who took that picture should be questioned. It’s a pity that motorways do not have cameras etc to document such incidents because guilty or not guilty it will be a while before anything can be concluded and justice prevails. For now my prayers go out for the lady and her baby…I am sure even if she was wrong which I don’t think she was she would not have done it intentionally. May the mans soul rest in peace.

58. kk

August 13, 2012 at 2:19 am

I personally don’t like LASTMA and the Police
    A few months back my pregnant sister was driving and she unfortunately broke a traffic rule ( i think she crossed the line or something Yes,she was wrong) before she knew it 5 of them jumped into her her, she was harrassed and threatened.she eventually parted with 3k.. what am i saying? these crooks called officials are something else. they are rascally and unruly, in fact if anything they add to the road problems.
    they literally lurk in places you wouldn’t even notice just to suddenly jump into or in front of your car hence endangering their lives. that was how one was hit by a dabfo at cele bus stop months back.

as for those asking why emphasis on her two month old baby, even if we haven’t been out of the country we read novels it is to stir emotions. why do people wear certain outfit to court abroad it is so communicate non-verbally to the jury.

I particularly dont like LASTMA. my mum and dad and sister have all fallen victims to these people they are dubious and highly mischievous > Their story should be checked.

59. Ebony

August 13, 2012 at 2:34 am

This is so Sad. Nigerians really need to be more Law Abiding . That Said I will Never break any traffic law again. All dis trouble probabLy to save 5mins n. Liter Fuel.

60. Femi

August 13, 2012 at 3:30 am

Realities of this case 1.RIP Ahmed,2.Yinka why did u violate traffic law,3.BRF overhaul and reoreintate LASTMA, 4.Govt should embrace forensic in its entirety as a way in using science to demystify knotty crime issues, and also introduce cctv.in d absence of forensic and cctv the case can go either way.Research has shown that eyewitness acct may sometimes be unreliable as ten eyewitnesses ve given ten different acct of same scenero they all witnessed.Conclusion if i were d magistate in d absence of hard forensic or cctv evidence i will prefer yinka is punished for d traffic offence alone it is better than convicting her for murder or manslaughter when she may ve been innocent.It is better for a million criminals to escape than for an innocent to be convicted.

61. jaybee

August 13, 2012 at 4:44 am

@yinka’s friend version is so believable,i can totally relate!d oda day whe i had problems on d railway line and was too scared to match the accelerator cos,a goodb samaritan jumped into d car to drive it,dis guy and his frnd eventually drove me to my bustop,just to get out of trouble,there was a day also dt a female police officer as i was about to turn at a particular major roundabout,i cried dt day cos d policemen at d scene took all d moni in my wallet before they let me go,and i didnt break any traffic rule,but they noticed i wasnt a pro at driving then…may God save her ,and d remaining agberos in Lastma should be careful,aldo der usefulness cannot be overemphasized.

62. okeke

August 13, 2012 at 5:48 am

the problem isnt about who hit who. ROAD OFFICIALS SHOULD STOP TAKING UNNECESSARY RISKS LIKE JUMPING UNTO THE ROAD. IT IS A STUPID AND DANGEROUS THING TO DO. NIGERIA SHOULD FIND A BETTER WAY OF ENFORCING TRAFFIC RULES AND REGULATIONS SO AS TO PREVENT ALL THIS POINTLESS DRAMA WHEN WE NEED TO BE TALKING ABOUT HOW WE CAN MOVE NIGERIA FORWARD. MAY HIS SOUL REST IN. PEACE.

63. kunle

August 13, 2012 at 8:48 am

@chikmore. u re so heartless and wicked! do u even understand english at all to read the two versions of the story and understand? i don’t think so. The unfortunate thing for the woman is the fact that even the police in this country do not understand their job. how possible is it for you to hit ur car against a live human with no impact and blood stain on your car?! abeg, the police should get professionals to the crime scene and do a proper investigation. AND PLEASE, ONLY RATIONAL HUMAN BEINGS ARE ALLOWED TO COMMENT ON BELLA.

64. Seun

August 13, 2012 at 9:49 am

this is very sad. i feel really sorry for her. I believe she is innocent (of the murder charge) and pray God vindicates her and exposes the actual crime.

65. moi!

August 13, 2012 at 10:49 am

T our dear governor, while we applaud you for the laws you passed so that sanity can prevail on our roads ,we also ask that the lastma officials should also be properly educated on how to keep themselves safe.It is better to allow even a criminal with gun get away than jeopardizing the lives of other pedestrian when chasing after one. Any good police officer will tell you that.The lastma official shouldn’t put their lives at risk just so they prove someone has violated a traffic offense!

66. lam

August 13, 2012 at 11:43 am

lois as said it all…..this thing is simple we ar in nija naw..it obvious she was framed..though i was not dere but something similar happend whr a lastma official killed a conductor in lekki n now they have covered the story…according to what i heard that the danfos screen was shattered now tell me in this pic does it look like yinkas car was dented or stained..its even bin towed n she must av ran due to fear dis simple psychology..sure she suffered from PTSD and dts y she ran……this is simple forensic…i wont name names bt some peeps just love to jump to conclusion…..if you know the ajah area well we all know they making roads n lots of cars pass one way esp danfos n lastma will neva catch dem kos dey have bribed them..this matter should be looked at well….justice needs to prevail n i know God will vindicate for yinka…

67. sunshine

August 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm

*dramatic sigh* the way tins happen in this our lasgidi ehn! I’m trying to be slow in throwing my opinion down in such circumstances (this is a really slippery slope) cos if the persons involved were family or friends I’d definitely be biased, I just feel bad for all the parties involved cos they will definitely go through varying degrees of trauma . That said, I have made a personal vow sha dat if any latsma person should EVER jump into my car, na to drive am go my man house, after the “experience” he would endure, such an official will not try such rough play again! I do hope she is vindicated quickly, please anyone wit useful info that would bring clarity should step up o abeg! Caveat: Woe betide false witnesses o!!

68. graco

August 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Na wa oh!! C section, 2 month old baby, i’d be an emotional wreck. That lady should not have been driving in the first place. For all you know she could’ve been suffering from postnatal depression. (Not like i’m saying she did it or anything) Yes some women are strong enough to join the hockey team after they give birth, but some are really unstable after that. Even psychiatric treatment required sometimes. My heart goes out to her and the Lastma official. All this could have been avoided.

69. ola

August 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thank God, the investigation revealed that she did not kill the LASTMA official, rather , he was killed by a hit-and-run commercial bus. From Punch Newspaper.

70. Akinola rasheed

January 5, 2013 at 9:38 am

Oh my God,why are issues so hard to judge ?the amazing thing is how can a parked vehicle killed and why did yinka had to exticate with her car ? And expecially when they said no one is in the car at the lastma checking scene, so complicated to understand but i pray for the truth to prevail.