News

Ex Edo Governor’s Younger Brother Michael Igbinedion Convicted for Alleged N25 Billion Scam

Igbinedion NEWA Federal High Court in Benin on Wednesday convicted former Edo Governor Lucky Igbinedion’s younger brother, Michael Igbinedion, and his accomplice, Charles Eboigbodin, have been convicted for an alleged N25 billion scam.

According to Premium Times, both individuals and their companies Corporation Limited, Romrig Nigeria Limited, PML Securities Company Limited and PML Nigeria Limited  were prosecuted on an 81-count charge of money laundering, misappropriation of funds and abuse of office brought against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The accused have pleaded not guilty to the charges, however; reports state that the judge “found the two accused persons guilty on some of the counts. The judge convicted Eboigbodin for money laundering on counts 50-59, while Igbinedion was pronounced guilty as charged on counts 79-81.”

The judge deferred the sentencing of the convicts till today April 30, 2015. The verdict is yet to be announced.

1. tunmi

April 30, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I await the sentencing. For 25 billion, was it really just these 2?

2. Concerned benin girl

April 30, 2015 at 2:50 pm

That family is filled with thieves! I still wonder how Omosede won in Ovia east considering her family record *i de watch sha*

3. @edDREAMZ

April 30, 2015 at 2:53 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Wetin dey pain nw b say they no go ever see jail….. Buhari come start with this two abeg…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. TA

April 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm

We are here waiting for the sentencing. The Igbinedion family looted Edo state blind and their pathetic father who likes to showoff will be busy ordering his staff at ITV to showcase the crass display of ill gotten wealth at their weddings. Meanwhile, it is all looted public funds. Shameless lots

• Sandi

April 30, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Ok I detest the Igbinedion family but Pa Igbinedion has always had money. Don’t forget he was the first Nigerian to own a private airline.
      But Lucky Igbinedion there’s a special seat with the devil waiting for him in hell

• AT L'S finest

April 30, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Ok he’s always had money, but Pa I saw are have used his influence to basically bought all d lands in Okada including those that isn’t his. This family didn’t do a great JOB at al.l. They need to quit their mess..

• AT L'S finest

April 30, 2015 at 7:21 pm

* have * used. My phone correcting everything

5. Dee

April 30, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Dude and his wife sat beside me in House On The Rock church 3 Sundays back. They looked so fresh and well fed.

I had this couple in my Estate that used to pray some loud prayers and do some heavy night vigil, directed at begging God to make their business a success. They were what we all call “prayer warriors”. I used to feel less of a Christian because of their prayer life.
    So imagine my shock when I found out they were both into internet scams. As in that was their 9 to 5. Worst part was, when someone confronted them in front of me, they didn’t even try and deny. They smiled sef.

Praying to successfully scam people sha! God must have been like “Hian! Na wa for these people oh”

6. Anon

April 30, 2015 at 3:14 pm

A family of scammers. From the father, to some of the children, to some of the grandchildren. Upon all the money they have embezzled, they are still not polished.

I must single out Peter. he’s quite decent.

• Fifi

April 30, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Peter keh? U didnt look for any one decent its peter who was emblezzer under abacha u find? Well done? Anyway back to d matter how can they accuse the PAs of Lucky of embezzling? Where they the governor of the state? Were they accountant general of the state? Were they the ones signing the state cheques?To me efcc is just looking for scapegoats unfortunately it was this two

• AT L'S finest

April 30, 2015 at 7:19 pm

There’s one called Fermi if I’m not mistaking. Too handsome and cute

7. bimpe

April 30, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Omg, what type of stealing is this, way over the top, not even 50 million. Greediness is truly a disease

• tish

April 30, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Stealing is stealing. I don’t buy that line of thought. If you steal 50 million, when you see 25 billion, you will steal too. Most of these people didn’t start today, they’ve been stealing for years, smaller amounts. Collecting stuff they don’t pay for, depriving their workers of their wages. Na so e dey start.

• bimpe

April 30, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Please stay cool headed, it was merely sarcasm, I share the same views as you. If yoU took time to read between the lines, you would know that my thought over it was that it waw stealing beyond comprehension and rehabilitation should be so

8. chi

April 30, 2015 at 3:17 pm

hmmmmm,25billion? these people are balling with our money……

9. Chisom

April 30, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Why is the heading still reading “alleged N25 billion naira scam” when he has already been convicted meaning he has been found guilty.

• Dr.N

April 30, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Exactly! It is no longer alleged

10. Omono

April 30, 2015 at 5:45 pm

I guess it runs in the family!

11. beast

April 30, 2015 at 6:01 pm

After the Abachas i think the Igbinedions are the biggest looters in Nigeria. i remember when Lucky was governor, the state was in total devastation. Zero development. The accountant-general when Lucky was governor P.E is another notorious thief you need to see the way he son lives in U.k right from his college days his father already bought him a mansion with members of staff attached to it in U.K!

12. mrs chidukane

April 30, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Please EFCC I beg una, come and check on TA Orji of Abia State please I’m begging.

13. Osasplay44

April 30, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Omg!!!. Nigerians, can you imagine? # 25bn
    conviction with just an option of fine of #3 million
    naira only. Tomorrow morning he pays the money
    and he leaves the prison and walks freely on the
    street as a free man….Jesus!!!!….This country
    obviously is something else. Can’t believe this!.
    The judges and the Efcc operatives with its
    prosecutors all have a way of compromising
    justice…..if it were some other lower class of
    persons, they’ll probably use the Advance fee
    fraud which carries a minimum of 7yrs and
    maximum of 21 yrs. Imagine, they nailed Michael
    Igbinedion who was the initiator of the crime with
    an option of fine and gave Eboigbodin the PA to
    ex convict gov lucky Igbinedion a no option of
    fine- to serve 3 yrs. The big man son to go home
    free. They say its different charges. Liman, why?
    well your better than prosecutor G.O Edobor n
    justice Adamu Hobon who biased thieves.

14. precy

April 30, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Point of correction. Option of fine was 1million Naira for micheal and he paid immediately. But his accomplice is to serve 2yrs.
    Devil won’t even open the gate of hell for some people so they don’t beat him to his game.

15. precy

April 30, 2015 at 10:39 pm

And someone pls remind me. how much did the woman that was sentenced to 266 yrs in jail steal?

16. ShineShineShine

May 1, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Who knows where l can steal ONLY 100M?. That is all l want. I am not greedy. I know plenty people who can loan me 5k to pay my fine. Haaa Naija! What is bad is not good. Haba 3M fine?