News

28 Year Old University Graduate Arrested at MMIA after Attempting to Smuggle Cocaine in His Luggage

BellaNaija.com

SuspectsA 28-year-old graduate of Economics, Nonso Akubueze, has been arrested by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for alleged drug trafficking.

Nonso Akubueze and four other suspects – Simon Omoluonye, Obidike Onodyer, Friday Onyeabor and Emma Ifoh – were apprehended at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, with 11.5 kilogrammes of cocaine substances valued at N57m.

According to Punch Newspaper, the drugs were smuggled into the country from Brazil.

Nonso had 1.1Kg of cocaine hidden in his luggage and according to him he had left Nigeria for
Brazil with the hope of getting a good job.

He stated that “I am a 2009 graduate of Economics but I have no job. I left Nigeria in search of job opportunities. My condition of living in Brazil was worse than when I was in Nigeria. It was my friend that gave me the bag containing the drug.”

Simon Omeluonye, 28, said he was to be paid N1m for the mission, adding that he had intended to use the proceed to start a business and further his education.

Forty-year-old Obidike Onodyer, told NDLEA investigators that he was paid N200,000 for the 11 wraps of cocaine he ingested. He said: ‘Unfortunately, I could only swallow 11 wraps so I was paid N200,000.”

The commander at the MMIA, Hamza Umar, said the seized drug comprised white and crack cocaine concealed in tins, among others. He said “Different methods were adopted in concealing the drug. One of the suspects, Omoluonye, was caught with both white and crack cocaine in tins weighing 7.8kg. Akubueze had 1.1kg by the side of his luggage while Onodyer ingested 11 wraps of cocaine weighing 0.5 grammes. Onyeabor was found with 74 wraps weighing 1.3kg and Ifoh was caught with 34 wraps weighing 0.7 grammes. Apart from Onyeabor, who hails from Enugu State, the four other suspects are from Anambra State.”

The Chairman of the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, called on members of the public to shun drug trafficking and engage in legitimate business ventures.

1. fan

September 2, 2015 at 11:58 am

Igbo kwenu!!!,some parents don’t even care what their children do for a living,all they know is my son is in abroad or my son is in Lagos and he is doing well,so far you are sending money.I think parents should take time to check their children source of living.

• Kadara

September 2, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Ndigbo doing what they do best lmao. The hard working industrious tribe , laughing in Spanish

• nene

September 2, 2015 at 1:20 pm

biko shut up. is it because they only catch igbos. drug business belongs to the yorubas.

• Damilola's

September 2, 2015 at 4:29 pm

@ nene

Lol, now you blame the officials again. Everybody in their right mind(looks like you are not) knows when it comes to drugs Igbos take the first crown. Igbo people, this is getting serious. When will guys own up and take accountability. Stop pointing fingers, blaming others.

• ATL's finest

September 2, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Lmao! @ Damilola thanks for that comment @ Nene just pump your breaks.. It’s called Ownership. If U are grown enough to commit a stupid act, then own up to the BS. I applaud the system for getting them down cuz I know that airport will take a bribe for anything to get thru:) Well these folks tho they all need to calm down with this drug mess.

2. Tosin

September 2, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I’m sad about all this. Why? A young able person could be doing so much better. Who was it that wrote on BN about short cuts always being cut short…that is real life.

3. Damilola's

September 2, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Hmmm, Igbos, will do anything for money. The same people that will be shouting, whinning up and down how they are the best and other tribes are jealous especially Yorubas. Yet they refuse to address their own inner issues and check their bad behavior.
    People that try to prove the most, usually don’t have much.

• Fani

September 2, 2015 at 12:49 pm

@Damilola, don’t you know that the officials are also jealous of them he he he, they wanted to go and show off in the village in December

• Still I

September 2, 2015 at 2:31 pm

@ Damilola apostrophe es, every time I read your comment on BN it’s filled with your self imposed war against the Igbos. Apparently, that’s your area of specialisation. Congrats on locating your niche. Well, be prepared because you’ll still read a similar news in the future. And you’ll still get other news of Igbos attaining great heights globally. But in the latter case you will most probabably see them as great Nigerians, not Igbos. Either way, it’s no skin off my teeth.
      It’s easy to guess your tribe but I can’t mention it because the tribe is not responsible for the crack in your brain. Something is fundaMENTALLY wrong with anyone that addresses a tribe made up of millions of people as though the tribe is their baby they know so well.
      Igbo tribe is not your agemate, will never be. At the rate you’re going, I’m sure the paranoia is festering inside you. You’ll soon be struck by Igbo paralysis. And you will not enjoy it.

• Damilola's

September 2, 2015 at 2:50 pm

@still I

War against Igbos? I laugh in Yoruba. This is the typical response from Igbos when truth is staring at them, they victimize themselves. You mean war among yourselves. Igbos, Stop being disillusioned and paranoid. There are many medication out there to help you guys treat the disease that’s eating and blinding you guys from facing/accepting the truth about yourselves.

• Damilola's

September 2, 2015 at 4:38 pm

@ Still I

You guys are the first to cry not been part of Nigeria. If it’s an achievement, the comment section will show how full of yourselves you guys are. Igbos this or that praising yourselves. Why don’t you praise yourself being first in drug trafficking. Or you guys brain is dead that you don’t remember anymore. But now, a crucial matter like this, you guys want To be silent then expect people to forget your nuisance behavior.

• Still I

September 2, 2015 at 11:29 pm

@ Dami,
      So, just came online and realised that the obsession has gotten to an advanced stage. That was quick. Okay, the term is ‘self-imposed war’ not ‘war’. It’s not a generic, typical response often employed by the Igbos or any group. It was my response, directed to you, only you. Lots of people made comments but I responded to only yours because your case is verging towards the helpless. ‘Self-imposed war’ as used in that context defines the futile task you assigned to yourself. It’s not war as you theorised. It’s the war raging in your head as evidenced in your comments. So don’t flatter yourself; your desultory Bella Naija comments are not that weighty to incite any form of war or make me suggest they could.

• Damilola's

September 3, 2015 at 5:05 am

@ still I

Take your medication first next time before you respond to me, bcos you are talking rubbish. Stop embarrassing yourself. War this, obsession that, WTF are you talking about. You clearly are confused in your head.

• nnenne

September 2, 2015 at 10:46 pm

@Damilol,…why won’t they?
      Go back in history and see how Nigeria have treated them.
      1) Pogroms of 1966 with destruction of their lives and properties while culprits were not brought to book.
      2) Abandoned properties saga.
      3) Devaluation of their money. ..20 pounds for all your life savings.. thanks to Baba Awo and cohort.
      4). Quota system
      5) Exclusion from military leadership for how long? From oil boom to juicy contracts as Abuja was built.
      6) seasonal massacre of Igbos in Northern Nigeria with destruction of properties. long before BH. Infact, BH started with them.
      7) Deliberate siting of all major companies in south west and North, away from the resources and manpower in Igbo land and south, south.Wonder why Lagos is over populate?

Trickle down effects do not go away like that, if you must know. Ask my black American brothers and sisters.

BTW, who were the first drug lords in Nigeria?
      Did you hear about the money laundering case against some top Yoruba politicians in the US early this year, in the heat of campaign, , that happened in the 1980s.?
      Have you read about Gloria Okon saga?
      You all hate money but you own all the oil wells although Hausa and Youruba do not produce oil.
      Which tribe stripped Nigeria of its oil boom money. Igbos?
      Who gave out juicy contracts as Abuja was built. Igbos?
      Which tribe ruled Nigeria more and messed things up? Abacha, Babangida, TY Danjuma. Shonekan are all igbos? These people hate money right?

Yes. Igbos are hard working and the International community around the world knows that. In every field you can think of. ..Sports, Entertainment. ..created Nollywood, literary world… Achebe, Bucihi Emecheta,Adichie etc, Healthcare, research, business. Building healthy relationships and homes
      ..everyone wants an Igbo wife and mother.

Do your research, Igbos did not introduce drugs and yahoo, yahoo in Nigeria. They were late
      comers. Unfortunately, whatever an Igbo man does, he will do with a zeal including the wrong ones.
      Hun, admire Igbos. Don’t Hate them.
      Always, proudly Igbo!!!!!!

• Damilola's

September 3, 2015 at 5:42 am

@nnenne

Do me a favor? Gerrahia. All you just wrote there is from “Biafra textbook” bcos it’s the same tiring victimization Igbos carry with them. We hate them, we treat them bad. geez you guys should retire that word by now. I see, many of you guys lack comprehension skills. I’m not going to go back and forth about Yoruba doing drugs too. All I’m saying is, MAJORITY of drug traffickers are Igbos. If you don’t understand them go back to primary school.

Go ask Europeans who colonized your country why they gave military power to the northerners, why Yorubas were known to be the most educated, Igbos the best traders etc And during military/dictatorship regime, northerners were mostly in power, took over the top resource, oil. Majority rules everywhere, it’s no brainer. The summary is, Biafra was an attempt for Igbos to separate themselves but failed miserably. It’s too shameful for y’all to admit it, so let’s blame Yorubas. What a coward move. The distorted history/news that’s embedded in you guys, unfortunately these lies and deceit is passed on. Set yourself free before this denial becomes an illness with no cure. Bye

• Damilola

September 3, 2015 at 6:49 am

@nnenne

Igbos are not unified y and can barely govern themselves but wondering why oil is not controlled by them. Why is Lagos populated? Bcos Igbos and other tribes move there bcos there are better opportunities Than your dry villages. Well, u guys Claim to be smart, use your brain then.

4. Mystique

September 2, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Nonso Akubueze – 1.1Kg of cocaine, Simon Omoluonye – 7.8kg of white and crack cocaine, Akubueze – 1.1kg of cocaine, Obidike Onodyer – 0.5 grammes of cocaine, Onyeabor 1.3kg of cocaine and Ifoh 0.7 grammes of cocaine ……….Apart from Onyeabor, who hails from Enugu State, the four other suspects are from Anambra State.” Igbos……..#that’sall

5. miss Pynk

September 2, 2015 at 12:17 pm

All these people that cannot calculate their gains properly….the guy with an economics degree -is he sure he really studied? N1 million versus the possiblity of a minimum of 10 years in a Nigerian jail…simple economics.

pynk360.com

6. odi

September 2, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Will all of you just shut the f up!!! Was the dubious woman who dodged paying her UK hospital bills not a yoruba woman? Why wasn’t there any statement calling yorubas out and why did it take bella naija so long to post that story? What nonsense is all this about them being igbos as if other tribes are not committing atrocities and getting caught. Bella naija the tribalistic melting pot. go ahead and keep setting one tribe up… God is watching you.

• Mystique

September 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm

drink cold water……….your blood too hot. Let your Igbo brothers know the spot light is on them. Its a call to do better. #onelove

• Bee

September 2, 2015 at 1:31 pm

Biafra will be the land of drug traffickers !

• mz titilitious

September 2, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Well the dubious woman story doesn’t happen everyday unlike dis.>

• Damilola's

September 3, 2015 at 12:12 am

@ Odi
      l…lmao veins popping out bcos they can’t handle the truth. Don’t digress. You shut the F up. Your anger will not take away from the fact/truth that every drug related stories including execution in countries like Indonesia, Asian countries majority are Igbos. Including the new documentary about prostitution in Russia, majority were Igbo/south girls. Yorubas are way too nice that they don’t rub things in you guy’s face knowing if it was Yorubas, Igbos will make it their hobby. I mean, look at how disillusioned, arrogant y’all are based on nothing

• Dede

September 3, 2015 at 2:48 am

When I tell my other African friends tribalism is still very much alive in Nigeria they say nah not in our generation. You’ve really proved me right. Shame shame

7. Bowl

September 2, 2015 at 12:46 pm

@Odi , my dear tell them.

8. lola

September 2, 2015 at 12:48 pm

@Fan,what is Igbo Kwenu?Other tribes engage in it.

9. fan

September 2, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Truth is bitter,half of Igbos abroad are into drug trafficking,while yourbas line is cyber [email protected],go ask chukwuma

• nnenne

September 2, 2015 at 11:10 pm

@fan… Go to all Ivy league universities, wall street, major hospitals around the world, see Igbos in action.
      My primary care Physician is from Indiana. You can’t imagine his excitement when he heard I was Igbo Nigerian. He said” oh, the good one.:
      He has never been to Nigeria. He told me about his class mates and that their pediatric chief attending, 28 years was Igbo. Smart kid , he called him.
      Met this French couple in Macy’s and told them I was Nigerian and their first question was ” Igbo? ”
      I asked them how they knew. You won’t believe the beautiful stories they told me. Once attended this seminar of less than sixty people, with only four Africans. Hun, they were all Igbos and they didn’t know each other prior to that day. Mere coincidence.
      I can go on and on.
      Your allegations are false.
      Yorubas and credit card fraud?
      Story for another day. Good and bad exists in all of us. Admire Igbos and stop hating.

• Damilola

September 7, 2015 at 1:51 pm

@nnenne

You can make up stories all you want how the whole world is praising Igbos. It still doesn’t change the truth about Igbos and their bad behavior. You won’t mention the part where they exposed 419 scams on MNBC, and a retired scammer came out to talk, they were all Igbos. Or google nigerian men killing their wives, Igbos and south, few Yorubas. The recent jailed scammer in the UK is your cousin, showing off on stolen money. If you want to talk about medical school, engineering, being smart every nigerian falls into that category. Infact, at harvard Nigerians representing are mostly Yorubas, south and northerners. Igbos are doing good too, but not the way y’all are delusional about it. One will think, y’all built infrastructure or fixed electricity in Nigeria. We Yorubas are humble people, we don’t blow our own horn. Igbo are the ones who blow the biggest trumpet over nothing.

10. nene

September 2, 2015 at 1:16 pm

ndigbo why. i know yorubas and the south south are just as bad in the drug trade but they always catch the igbos.

• Damilola's

September 3, 2015 at 12:00 am

@nene

You are a FAT LiAR. So, they only catch Igbos bcos of what? Stop deceiving yourselves and accept bitter truth. Infact, swallow and choke on it bcos I know how hard it is to accept bitter truth.

• Still I

September 3, 2015 at 8:22 am

So Damilola apostrophe es, you’ve used three different avatars on this matter already. Lol! The obsession is even worse than I imagined.

• Damilola

September 5, 2015 at 5:59 am

@ still I

My name is damilola and that’s my avatar. Like I said earlier, don’t mix it up with yourself. Just bcos that’s what you do, doesn’t mean I do the same.

11. nnenne

September 3, 2015 at 12:37 am

When an Hausa man joins BH, and commits atrocities the whole world pities him, blames it on poverty, bad governance and looks for ways to rehabilitate him.
    When a promising young, Igboman, educated, unemployed, tried his hands on a lot of things without success, resorts to drug pushing, ?? selling his kidneys,kidnapping etc. .
    The best society does is call him “money lover.”
    God dey.