News

Onitsha Woman Arrested for Attempting to Sell 1 Week Old Baby in Lagos

BellaNaija.com

Nkechi Obi

Nkechi Obi

A 25-year-old woman who is based in Onitsha, has been arrested after attempting to sell a 1-week-old baby to a woman in Lagos.

The accused, Nkechi Obi, was on her way to hand over the baby to the buyer at Cele Bus Stop, along the Oshodi/Apapa Express-way, when she met her waterloo, Vanguard reports.

The driver of the vehicle began to suspect foul play when the baby began crying incessantly, and Obi never made attempts to breastfeed the baby. The driver subsequently alerted police around Oshodi.

The suspect, who is a farmer and apprentice, claimed that the baby was given to her by her boss, Ngozi, in Onitsha, to take to a ready buyer in Lagos.

She said: “I was in the shop located at 2 Ourline Street, Onitsha Main Market on Tuesday, when my madam, who I sell clothes for, came and ordered me to go and change into something better, that I was to embark on a journey to Lagos.

“Thereafter, she handed the baby to me and gave me a food flask and baby milk. She only gave me the telephone number of the woman I was to hand the baby over to. The woman in question is barren. I was to meet with her at Cele Bus Stop. The would-be buyer was arrested.”

The would-be buyer already had two female children, but opted to adopt a male child due to pressure from her husband who threatened to marry another woman if she failed to give birth to a boy.

1. DD

November 13, 2015 at 2:00 pm

This rampant human-trafficking is so terrible. God bless that driver for being sensitive enough to realize that something was wrong and taking the appropriate action.

2. SMILE

November 13, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Nigerians and the World at large lets all be sensible, why on earth will a husband be pressurizing his wife for a male child or children,”mind you whatever a man deposits into a woman that’s what she will demonstrate (pregnancy) and give birth to”. God is the giver of children if he (husband) thinks God isn’t doing his work well please ” MEN” try getting pregnant.
    women why will you fall for a threat ? why? if he (HUSBAND) wants to marry another woman let him do so.
    If you truly wants to adopt a child why not do it the right way?

DON’T FORGET THE ONE YOU ARE FIGHTING FOR AND RISKING ALL FOR CAN DENY YOU ANY TIME , BE WARN !!!!!

3. esther baby

November 13, 2015 at 3:27 pm

tnks to the driver for being smart.she should be punished for her actions

4. Nkechi

November 13, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Wao. I see divine intervention and angelic assistance in this story. It’s not so typical to alert the police if a baby with a woman is crying , I understand if it is a man. God bless you driver. Na wa so after all the medical exposure some men are still putting pressure on wives to have a son. Women will have to do more scrutiny of mentalities before marriage. I remember a guy who told me that divorce was an option. That was red flag. It is not just about getting married. It is also about what you face in that marriage just because of the type of person you got married to. My sister has 3girls. I know they want a boy but she is taking it very easy because of the type of man she married, after two girls he said he did not want children anymore, that guy is so strong headed that his family cannot penetrate through his marriage. The girls like him so much, he treats them like queens. Oga. Please don’t do this to your wife I beg. God can give you a son.

5. Fufu

November 13, 2015 at 3:34 pm

Do these men that demand male children, not realise that the “Y” chromosome needed in making a boy comes from them??!

• Drknite

November 13, 2015 at 5:33 pm

He obviously didn’t pay attention or take biology class.

6. oy

November 13, 2015 at 3:47 pm

smh! aye ma nika o

7. Xristybabes

November 13, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Oh my God!what a wicked world we live in!!!

8. gurl_wendy

November 13, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Wow, the driver must have been in the spirit, some mothers actually don’t want to breastfeed on a bus, he must have been extra sensitive, kudos to him.

9. Martha Ako

November 14, 2015 at 3:14 am

Why is this phenomenon so common in Nigeria?How can a woman possibly sell a baby she carried in her womb for close to a year? 9 months to me is a year. What about the pains of child labour ?what about the joy that comes with being a mother? Our world is sick. No amount of poverty should make one sell her child. Geeze!

10. NWANYIBUIFE

November 14, 2015 at 7:47 am

The driver deserves a national award. He is a good Nigerian. Many Nigerians would have minded their business and looked the other way. Too busy to take note.
    I need his contact.