News

What Would You Do if N45 Million Was Erroneously Transferred to Your Account?

BellaNaija.com

Jerry

Jerry Ogbonna Obike Phillip

Would you return the money or withdraw it and abscond?

Well according to Daily PostJerry Ogbonna Obike Phillip chose the latter option.

Reports state that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has declared Phillip wanted for withdrawing the sum of N45 million, which was sent to his account in error.

The notice reads in part:

The public is hereby notified that Jerry Ogbonna Obike Phillip whose photograph appears below, is wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, in a case of stealing.

Phillip withdrew the sum of N45,000,000.00 (Forty Five million naira) which was mistakenly credited into his account in a new generation bank,” the statement read.

However, it was learnt that, before the money could be reversed to its rightful owner, Phillip had allegedly withdrawn the said amount.

Photo Credit: EFCC

1. Annienonymous

November 24, 2015 at 11:30 am

BOOM!!! Is he a learner? I would so do the same and check out to the bahamas!

2. whocares

November 24, 2015 at 11:31 am

Ez gonna be a deadley day…

• Annalise

November 24, 2015 at 1:00 pm

We’re gonna to dive on the line together ni.
      See how he pose in the pic sef. Giving us that “Do I look like I will turn it in” expression.

• The Buttery Hotness

November 24, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Lol! How will he return it when he’s got a black man blood in him?

• Beeeee

November 24, 2015 at 2:52 pm

who cares and and annalise, I am literally crying in the office after reading your comments. LMAO, I was replaying the video in my mind..looool

3. Nuna

November 24, 2015 at 11:32 am

But how do you transfer 45m in a day?? Or did he do it over a period of time?? How did he transfer such a huge amount without raising red flags?? Just wondering out loud.

• amaa

November 24, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I asked thesame question . You cant withdrawl cash that amount without penalties. Secondly this is the Apex bank this kind of error is next to impossible and reversal is automatic. Plus you could freeze that money and he wont be able to take the money. I wont say much until I hear his side of the story

4. Anon

November 24, 2015 at 11:36 am

Give it back. It will still catch up with you. It happened to me when I was in school. Barclays accidentally credited my account with money that wasn’t mine. I watched it coolly and in 48 hours it was gone. They wrote me a letter and apologised. That ended it. Banks are shylocks, they will always come after you for money that isn’t yours.

5. jasmine

November 24, 2015 at 11:51 am

Hahahahahaha, smart man. But how was he able to withdraw 45m so quickly? The cashier that posted the money should start fasting

• Gobe

November 24, 2015 at 1:37 pm

As in ehhhh. The first thought that came to mind was kai! The teller has cooked beans and must chop this one. Mehn, i trust banks, quick quick, they will book loan on the teller immediately. I just hope it was the customer that made the error while filling the slip o and not the teller. Sad story. So many casualties. The guy should please return the money

6. anonymous

November 24, 2015 at 11:53 am

Erhhhmmm, how long did it take to withdraw this money.. especially with the limit of N150,000…daily on ATM and CBN regulations of N5M? The bank was careless indeed.

• Annienonymous

November 24, 2015 at 3:19 pm

How long did it take the money to hit his account?? How come CBN regulations did not flag up the account when the initial transfer was made? So money can only be withdrawn from an ATM abi?

7. ElessarisEllendil

November 24, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Before nko?

When that 45 million drops, baby I’d be gone gone gone.

8. tish

November 24, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I won’t trade anything for my peace of mind! Peaceful night sleeps are underrated. I will return it instantly. Money that will end up giving me high BP, nah!

• Annienonymous

November 24, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Oh, I will so sleep peacefully knowing I have 45 mil!!!

9. abegi!

November 24, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Abegi, dey shld leave d man alone joor, y are dey publishing his face and declaring him wanted? Did he point a gun @ anybody? Did he kidnap anybody? He didn’t even harass anyone. Are those our politicians dah steal every second beta dan he is? Pls, dey shld let d poor man rest n enjoy his ‘miracle-money’ jare. Efcc shld channel dia strength n resources to oda finz o, dz one is jst d man’s portion of national cake…after all, it wasn’t his fault dah a mistake (wch bcame a blessing to him) was made.

• Lotusflower

November 24, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Is he your father? Relative?
      They shouldn’t leave him alone. He stole 45m Naira. What is wrong with some of you?
      Anytime I notice a deposit that I am unsure of, I always investigate and review my records. I don’t care about the amount. Abeg, I don’t want anyone knocking on my door accusing me of stealing.

10. smh

November 24, 2015 at 12:58 pm

how can you spend money that does not belong to you in peace?you see why God blessed that airport lady for returning the money she found? if this is your father,you better advice him to return the money and have peace of mind instead of living the rest of his life in fear of being arrested.

11. lad

November 24, 2015 at 1:11 pm

He withdrew N45m in a day? Abeg which bank permitted such? I tot there’s a limit to what one can withdraw in a day. He prolly split and transferred to another bank. lol. But how true is this? Are they sure he really did this or its just some story to make us feel the man is some criminal.

• Gobe

November 24, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Before you comment, just take some time and do research. Dont sound so ignorant. This is an electronic transfer. The limit is on cash deposit and withdrawals, atm and some cheque payouts. Why will they put up someone face as wanted if he the story wasnt reported

• Doxa

November 24, 2015 at 9:29 pm

There’s a N5m limit on my gtbank online transfer o.

• molarah

November 24, 2015 at 10:18 pm

My dear, the limits are on ALL bank transactions, including electronic transfers. This was done over more than one day. Some body was definitely careless here.

• Queen Bee

November 25, 2015 at 8:17 am

Even if ita a transfer, you cannot transfer that huge amount at once. there is a limit you can transfer, why do people still go to the banks if there is no limit? you go to do huge transactions like this. This story is definitely incomplete, CBN did a transfer mistakenly to a private account?

12. Oloye

November 24, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Some of you act like learners! How do pple pay for items worth same amount (e.g. exotic cars, properties etc.) within hours a deal is sealed?

For me, make I talk true – I will use that to buy cheap and fast-moving properties on the mainland. Properties you can resell with little mark-ups in few days (yess, many of them). My experienced lawyer will be well aware of he whole deal. Ofcos I was expecting fund worth more than that from associates to do same deals -lmao..

If the bank calls, I will tell them I thought the money was from my associates that had promised to give me some money. I will show them the papers to the properties and return the money after I am able to resell.

I will make some legit money(though might be small), maintain my good family names and everyone will be happy. lol

13. Mshades

November 24, 2015 at 1:32 pm

@ oloye,u are daydreaming abi?
    Please join my BBM channel : C002cab80 or add on whatsapp 08034363364 for your exquisite accessories,kiddies and makeup. Thanks

14. niyoola

November 24, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Seems to me like some kind of fraud involving multiple parties.
    45m paid erroneously.
    45m withdrawn …… how? Daily transfers have limits, withdrawal at ATMs have limits, and i dont think the man walked into the bank to withdraw 45m cash without raising eyebrows. So I think the account was meant to be a transit account for shady money, but someone decided to outsmart the others,

15. omo-ibile

November 24, 2015 at 1:45 pm

I will take the money and give it to my girlfriend without my wife’s consent

• Nahum

November 24, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Good! So you and your girlfriend will rot in jail, while you wife moves on with her boyfriend.

• Nahum

November 24, 2015 at 5:41 pm

…and your kids

16. Facts.

November 24, 2015 at 2:34 pm

There is a limit to the cash that can be withdrawn IN ONE DAY over the counter and from ATMs WITHOUT COMMISSION. You can withdraw over the CBN limit from over the counter in the bank but you pay a certain percentage to the bank once you go over the limit.

Also, the story does not state what the interlude was between when the transfer was made to his account and when it was discovered.

17. truth

November 24, 2015 at 2:41 pm

I’ll take only 3 million naira. I’m not a thief, I just want to take care of some things financially. I’m even praying for this kind of opportunity and miracle.

18. kay

November 24, 2015 at 3:10 pm

as a not so greedy guy…i will put the money in a fixed deposit for 3 years….after which i will return their money!

Did i steal it? No!

19. cheryl

November 24, 2015 at 3:37 pm

hmmm!!! na wa, dis kind money in dis hard tym, difficult to return buh mheenn d man shuld av jst left it na, and aw come he withdrew d money, tot there are daily withdrawal limit, or was it withdrawn in bits? any ways i had an experience bck den in uni, an ATM was mistakenly attached 2 my UBA account,(dnt knw aw it happened) but i noticed anytym i use my ATM d money doesnt leave my account. i went to complain, dey assumed it was ntwrk issue, wen i went home on hols i complained to d bank bck home, dey said dey will investigate, d nxt tin dey lierned (suspend) my account, i culd withraw from ATM again. and my bro jst sent money 4 my dad’s hospital bill, i went to d lady i complined to initially to complain, she took me to their boss(i think BOD) den, for clearifications, d next thing she was raising her voice dat so i was d theif thery were lookin for that has been withrawing from sum1 elses A/C, d oda lady even tried to explain dat i was d one dat came to report, omo, i was jst shedding tears(if to say na now heeen, i swear i 4 tear her slap) well, d story too long, dey sha seized my money, till date i beva went bck there i jst go open another account jejely

20. ATL's finest

November 24, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Behind every action. There’s a re-action. Behind every cause, there’s an aftermath.mthis kind money they purge Abeg I pass..

21. Mabel

November 24, 2015 at 7:14 pm

The bank always find out the mistake, no point in taking it and run. A minimal sum may go undetected, but they always trace large monies and they will come for it.

22. Emem

November 24, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Lol, funny man. How will you now enjoy this money now that they are looking for you?
    Read a true life story on twitter today on how N300k was mistakenly transferred to a Pastors account. when the bank called him and asked him to come he refused till the police were involved. During questioning the Pastor said he has been fasting and praying to God for help to pay his children’s school fees so when he saw the money he could only see it as Gods answer to his prayers. 🙂
    Omo Country hard sha. Me sef for pinch the money for my house rent, fix my accidented car and settle my baby’s school fees.. Lol

23. fleur

November 25, 2015 at 1:02 am

I go spend the money

24. Chief Nd Duroha

November 25, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Jerry Obike Ogbonna
    Jerry Obike Ogbonna PRESS RELEASE

On the Withdrawal of Money Purported to Have Been Wrongly Credited to My Account by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and My Allegedly Being Wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC)

My attention has been drawn to the falsehood being circulatedon some social and print media platforms with my above photograph claiming that I am wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for withdrawing N45 million purported to have been wrongly credited to my account by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
    For the avoidance of doubt,let me state categorically that the deposit was not made in error. The said amount was credited to my account with Diamond Bank Plc in 2012 for a contract I have with the Ministry of Petroleum Resources for the lease of three (3) helicopters from Tunisia for the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR). The helicopters were former President Umaru Musa Yar’Aduas idea to prevent the DPR from hiring helicopters from the International Oil Companies (IOCs)they were supposed to police.
    The N45 million was part payment of the mobilisation for the contract. The full mobilization is N110 million, and a total of N90 million has been paid by the ministry as mobilisation. However,some staff ofthe CBN and the Ministry of Petroleum Resources wanted me to launder the money and share it with them without supplying the helicopters for the stipulated service but I refused, insisting that it was against my principles. Our nation will continue to crawl behind other nations of the world if we all continue to acquiesce to such corrupt propositions and compromise the integrity of such or any contracts.
    I am ready to fight whoever is behind these false publications because I have God behind me and no one can defeat me in such a just cause no matter how highly placed.
    The money was used to take the officers of the DPR and the Ministry of Petroleum Resources on an inspection visit to Tunisia. Officials of the Civil Aviation authorities also travelled for the inspection of the helicopters with officers of Aero Contractors who were to operate the helicopters. Also, officials and crew of the Tunisian company, Tunisiavia, visited Nigeria to inspect the facilities here in Nigeria where the helicopters will operate.
    The N45 million was used to finance all these inspections and the expenses were foreign exchange dominated. At the end of the successful inspection, I was paid N45 million and a letter to the effect that we successfully completed the first phase of the contract was sent to Fidelity Bank Plc.
    In another development, I reported some staff of DPR for asking me for bribe with evidence and EFCC and ICPC took no action. At the end of these inspections, the Ministry of Petroleum Resources was supposed to pay N370 million for the helicopters to be ferried to Nigeria in accordance with the terms of the contract. At this stage they refused to make the payment, hence the current stalemate.
    Since this matter is in the Federal High court and International court of arbitration for adjudication, I prefer not to give further details at present beyond what is necessary in response to the current effort to slander me with such false publications.
    I am not on the run from the EFCC because they know my office in Abuja and my residence. I have no need to run from anybody but no one can intimidate me. The rule of law must be followed at all times. The truth must prevail over lies. I sacrificed my life for 30 years in the military for this nation and cannot at this stage change my habits at 61.

Jerry Ogbonna

25. Maree

November 26, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Hmm…Bellanaija…Now that the truth has come out that the money really belongs to the man (Ogonna), what do you have to say for yourself?

Tell me, how do you withdraw N45m from an account without it being flagged? All of you that abused this man without thinking, may God forgive you.