News

Why we arrested Popular Political Blogger Abubakar Sidiq Usman – EFCC

BellaNaija.com

Abubakar Sidiq Usman

Abubakar Sidiq Usman

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday arrested Abubakar Sidiq Usman, a blogger, for offences bordering on cyber stalking.

According to the EFCC, Sidiq, an online publisher was picked up at his Kubwa, Abuja home in the early hours of Monday August 8, 2016 by its officials and is currently being questioned over the alleged offence which contravenes sections of the Cybercrime Act.

He has already been offered administrative bail and would be released to his elected sureties.

Reports say Sidiq’s arrest was as a result of a post on his blog, abusidiqu.com titled: “EFCC boss, Magu, commences total war with core EFCC staff”. The post was published on August 2, 2016.

Part of the post read:

Regular members of staff at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC are complaining that they are being bullied by the Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu.

Magu, who returned a few seconded police men to their mother organisation has become panicky following series of revelations on his activities at the commission.

According to a source, Magu was ‘panicking because his confirmation had been deferred and is beginning to suspect any and every one in the commission for his problem’.
Abubakar Sidiq Usman2

Sidiq and President Buhari

1. TruthSayer

August 9, 2016 at 8:17 am

BN and their fear fear, Smh! If you’re going to report news like this type please be as detailed as possible , what’s all this half news for? this is the difference between your style of blogging, LIB and SDK…..Why don’t you report the EFCCs official statement as regards this issue? Why the diplomacy? All this one is English,The point is he was Arrested yesterday in his home , And Ofcourse, they’d initially tried to Lie to cover up.. Buhara’s PA on new media outrightly denied it yesterday asking why they started the #freeAbusidiq trend on Twitter, according to him, he was only ‘invited’ for questioning and will soon be released… Today, I woke up to the official statement released by EFCC and they confirmed he has indeed been arrested, his crime? They call it ‘Cyber stalking’ …I don’t even understand anymore, which era are we in again? First of all is it EFCCs jurisdiction to arrest a civilian over non-economic issues ? Or I’m I missing something here? This government is such a Tyrant and their Plan is to instil fear in people so people will no longer be bold enough to speak up, sadly, it seems it’s working already…When Fayose talk, una go call am mad man, Lol!! I really hope people speak up on this, this is very wrong by all standards. ….To all of You who really supported Buhari, I bet you’re getting so much more than you bargained for. I won’t lie I never supported him because I always knew we needed Change, but also knew he he would disappoint..but when he won, I was sincerely happy and was looking forward to better governance…But saying I’m disappointed at this point is grossly an understatement *Sad sigh*

PS, Make una no vex as per this epistle, I talk plenty only when I’m upset Lol…Hardly comment here but just couldn’t skip this one!

• Bleed Blue

August 9, 2016 at 9:46 am

I had such high hopes for this government. I knew Buhari’s past but every past has the potential to culminate in a very different future.

I mean he tried several times to be President before he succeeded, for me it had to be that he genuinely wanted a chance to really effect the change we so desperately needed. And perhaps while at it, right some of the wrongs from his dictatorship days.

With each passing day, I open up the news and find another reason to be gravely disappointed. He is not EFCC but his general approach to governance says a lot about how his subordinate agencies will treat the populace. This is silly. Ridiculously silly. Arrested him for cyber what?

#FreeAbuSidiq

2. Jamce

August 9, 2016 at 8:30 am

Buhari and the law enforcement agencies think that it is a military dictatorship still operating his Decrees 2 and 4 of 1984 with which he could arrest people anyhow. It is those who are incompetent and corrupt who seek to gag the media and opposition. We know PMB is both incompetent and corrupt, there is nothing else to expect.

3. Bukola

August 9, 2016 at 8:36 am

tyrant is what this government is. I honestly supported PMB, but to say i regret doing so, is an understatement and a waste of time. Cant they just follow due process in all they do, due process is all i always ask for when they start all this their issue. God help us all, because i’m tired of all this their improper way of fighting corruption and acting like they are above the law. FOLLOW DUE PROCESS.

4. artklub

August 9, 2016 at 8:43 am

SHAME ON EFCC! You are jobless FAILURES!

• Tosin

August 9, 2016 at 9:13 am

LOL. Financial crime of blogging. So they have a mandate to detain anyone, even for peeing in the street. Deez rilly olodocracy.

5. tee

August 9, 2016 at 9:27 am

I’m sorry don’t ever use the name popular blogger!!!!we don’t know him and we wont!

• ogeAdiro

August 9, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Define popular?

6. Ekene

August 9, 2016 at 9:46 am

Is Cyber stalking as they called it a financial crime ?

7. nwa nna

August 9, 2016 at 3:16 pm

This is what happens when you appoint individuals to key positions that have no business being there & end up abusing their office/power!
    I, like millions of Nigerians supported PMB because Nigeria badly needed a change from the previous administration. My biggest concern with PMB was, and is still the fact that is a Hausa/Fulani man to the core which affects/clouds his decision making process when making appointments like we’ve all witnessed.
    While I’ve no problem appointing a Hausa/Fulani person if they are qualified, but in PMB’s case it seems to be the only required qualification in order to be appointed.
    One of the key issues plaguing Nigeria is tribalism & sectionalism which is wreaking havoc and preventing Nigeria from reaching its full potential! Nigeria rewards mediocrity at all levels, unfortunately!!!
    Magu, unfortunately isn’t the only public official that’s abusing his office, just look around you,he’s only displaying the symptoms of a plaque affecting Nigeria as a whole when it comes to abusing power.

8. Prince

August 9, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Thank you EFCC, you just made him more popular. Never heard of him before now.
    Mad efcc