News

2 Arrested in Connection to Alleged Murder of 26 Nigerian Women on Mediterranean Sea

BellaNaija.com

A Libyan and an Egyptian have been arrested by Italian officials over the death of the 26 Nigerian women abused and murdered in the Mediterranean Sea, Guardian reports.

A Spanish warship Cantabria had docked in the southern part of Salemo carrying 375 migrants along with the dead women.

5 of the surviving migrants have been questioned to get details on what happened to the women, some of whom were as young as 14.

The 2 men who are believed to have captained one of the boats were identified by the survivors.

While some believe the girls were victims of sex trafficking, experts believe otherwise.

“Sex trafficking routes are different, with different dynamics used. Loading women on to a boat is too risky for the traffickers, as they could risk losing all of their ‘goods’ – as they like to call them – in one fell swoop,” Salerno prefect Salvatore Malfi told the Italian press.

One of the survivors, Dora Omoruyi, a 23-year old arts student from Benin, Edo State, said she left Nigeria because of the absence of employment opportunities. She said:

I wanted to reach Italy. I don’t know what to do now.

I see no future in Nigeria, there are no jobs.

Photo Credit: NAN

1. Agu

November 8, 2017 at 8:00 pm

This should bring shame to our politicians because how can our brothers and sisters taking this types of dangerous journey to find a better life instead of them having it at there own home country.

2. josdaily

November 8, 2017 at 9:23 pm

this is not surprising. A good percentage of the folks making these trips (about 25%) end up on the butchers block of human traffickers. Big industry for Egyptians. They are trafficked for their body parts (organs) to be sold in the black market .
    Ye, they don’t even make it to so half comfortable place. Killed there in the desert and organs farmed off based on order.
    Sounds callous but true.
    Miss there are no jobs in Nigeria, neither are they jobs in Italy. A country in which you don’t speak the language Unless prostitution meets your fancy….. anyway, please please Bella readers educate you families and friend about this.. I have an article on it at josdaily.com for anyone that care to gain more information on human trafficking

3. Engoz

November 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm

….and when I argue with Nigerians, my pampered peers still think Nigeria is ‘ok’, ‘not bad’, that I should stop ‘insulting’ Nigeria. Apparently Nigeria is more dangerous and risky for them than going on boat ride to Europe. Nigeria is a ticking time bomb. I swear, I will stone the next person that says he’s a patriotic Nigerian.

Why do we even have a ‘women’ ministry when there is no correlation in the progress of the lives of women in Nigeria? You go on all Nigerian government websites, it’s as dead as the penis of a 90 year old man.

• LemmeRant

November 8, 2017 at 11:13 pm

And I guess that your last statement doesn’t sound sexist to you?

• Engoz

November 9, 2017 at 2:37 am

No it doesn’t sound ‘sexist’ to my ears the same way the other male riffraffs that make sexist remarks on these board doesn’t sound ‘sexist’ to your own ears. And I don’t see you ‘reprimanding’ them. So my friend carry your fraudulent ‘morality’ commot from my face. Hypocrite!

• Ephi

November 9, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Engoz vs LemmeRant 1-1, although I am tempted to make it 2-1 😀

4. o

November 9, 2017 at 1:22 am

Truth is that no matter how risky and dangerous the journey is, some ppl will embark on it because to them, until they live abroad, they haven’t lived yet. Imagine I read a story where a man sold his assets worth 300k to send his daughter via ship. She came back thankfully alive. 300k is enough to start a business, heck even 150k. But some of them will rather be slaves abroad than living an average life here. The govt has a lot of work to do in changing the orientation of her people. Even the so called abroad. I was shocked at the number of homeless people I saw sleeping on the roads at night in Paris. It’s not so rosy, no jobs etc, why risk your life getting there?

5. Fried Pant

November 10, 2017 at 12:48 am

This is just sad.
    The govt should empower the less privileged women to gain self esteem. by providing institutions that work for their well being
    This is a shameful thing to Nigeria. Citizens being exploited cos people in leadership positions chose to dwell in regional politics of my brother my sister connection