News

“I saw the husband hitting her head on the wall” – Alizee’s Younger Sister

BellaNaija.com

"I saw the husband hitting her head on the wall" - Alizee's Younger Sister - BellaNaijaThe family members of singer Ali Zainab Nielsen, popularly known as Alizee, who was allegedly murdered by her husband Peter Nielsen, have recounted their experience with him.

Peter had been arrested by the police after Alizee and her daughter Petra, were found murdered.

Speaking in an interview with Punch, the singer’s family revealed that Peter beat Alizee into a coma a year ago.

Ali Madaki, Alizee’s father, told Punch that his 2 daughters who stay with Alizee, age 12 and 10, witnessed the murder. He said:

I have known my late daughter’s husband for over seven years now. At the outset, he was of good character but last year, he started fighting his wife. Last November, a case was reported at the police station when he beat her to a coma. He then wrote an undertaking that he would never batter her again.

On Thursday morning, he called me. I was in Abuja. Since I missed his calls, I called back and he told me he saw my daughter and granddaughter on the floor in the kitchen. I asked what went wrong, he didn’t say a word and dropped the call.

One of my two daughters staying with them called their mother and broke the news. We took the next flight to Lagos and found out she was dead truly. I didn’t even know my grandchild was dead too. I told my daughter to get Petra for me and we should go, then she told me she was dead too. I was shocked.

The husband claimed it was gas suffocation that killed them. We know that gas doesn’t kill people that way. In the pictures, you would see bruises all over their bodies. They were strangled to death. I strongly believe he did it because their compound is highly secured. Whenever I visited them, the security operatives had to confirm my visit with them before I would be allowed in.

I don’t know if he has a history of being an alcoholic or drug addict. She once came back to our house in Abuja after being battered by her husband. She was there for almost a month. The man came and started begging that he was drunk. He said he consumed too much alcohol on the fateful day he beat her. Since they had been together for a while and he had never misbehaved, I accepted his plea and allowed Alizee to return to Lagos.

My two daughters are in the police station right now to give their statements because they witnessed all that happened. They said he hit her head on the wall. In the morning, he then asked them where his wife was. They pretended they didn’t know what happened. They knew that if they had made any attempts, they could be attacked too. There were five people in the house when the incident occurred – my late daughter, her child, husband and my two daughters – one 12-year-old and the other 10-year-old. I have four girls; Alizee is my first child and her immediate younger sister works in a bank.

One of his daughter who also spoke to Punch said she saw Peter hit Alizee’s head against a wall.

She decided not to interfere, she said, because Peter “is aggressive.” She said:

I was at home when the incident occurred. When she was crying for help, I went to see what was going on and I saw the husband hitting her head on the wall. I couldn’t come out because I knew he would descend on me too. The man is aggressive.

Read the full interview on Punch.

1. Seriously

April 8, 2018 at 12:26 pm

I’m lost for words. I don’t know who to direct my anger at , the husband or the family who knew the type of monster this guy is but still allowed their daughter to stay with such man. I don’t know what to say.
    I just don’t understand why women deliberately put their lives in such danger, if they don’t care about themselves what about their child. SMH

• Cynical

April 8, 2018 at 2:48 pm

@ Seriously, who knew if they had constantly spoken to her and she insisted on staying. You can’t force anyone to do anything. This story leaves me so sad. What could this woman and her child have done to deserve such a tragic end? Why, oga was divorce or going back to Denmark not an option if things had turned sour? I’m really saddened.

• Fleur

April 8, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Very unfortunate incident. His embassy will come to his rescue. they will claim the nigerian prisons are below standards in ways that deny him basic human rights. Yes, even criminals or suspects have human rights that should be respected. Once they make this case, the bros is gone. It will become he said she said. What do you think Buhariri will do? Precisely. Nada. Unfortunate he also had to kill his innocent daughter. He just snuffed out the entire family like of Alizee.

2. Ijebujesha

April 8, 2018 at 12:30 pm

I will never understand what people that marry oyinbos see in them. Walahi, oyinbos are totally erratic and reality is it is very hard for them not to be prejudiced against blacka at some point however far the relationship has gone. RIP

• Ec

April 8, 2018 at 12:34 pm

You are simply racist.

• The Real Oma

April 8, 2018 at 12:44 pm

How many stories of Nigerian men killing their wives have we read on this same blog.
      Violence has no race, or gender for that matter, my dear.

• Laura Dutton

April 8, 2018 at 10:23 pm

They will call you racist but I completely agree. I’ll never understand how people marry people they don’t understand nor share similar culture with… It’s just beyond my comprehension.

I see so many Asian and African women running down white men and for some idealistic fantasy which doesn’t exist. They are men just like any other, but so many think they are so rich or want to have mixed children to flaunt. I cannot understand how Nigerians marry foreigners, especially if they’re white, so easily but refuse another Nigerian due to class and tribe? May God have mercy on her soul…

3. Ec

April 8, 2018 at 12:36 pm

Lord knows what was in her heart. Lord knows why she still stayed. Perhaps the reasons why many women stay in such situations. The worst has now happened

4. Tolulope

April 8, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Guess she was the family money bag, no wonder they allowed her stay and even took most of her sisters in there with her. Some Naija parent are just not it.

5. Californiabawlar

April 8, 2018 at 2:43 pm

This life ehn. May our enemies not have the opportunity to laugh at us. Every. Single. Day. We all read about domestic violence between Nigerian couples. Even the whole family telling the abused spouse to stay part is like the status quo. But immediately it’s oyinbo, everyone develops amnesia and it’s now because of money and race.
    Me I’m just here wondering if someone hit y’alls head on the wall too for this kind of selective memory problem.

6. Hmm

April 8, 2018 at 3:06 pm

May this be a lesson to all wives who allow abuse as a marriage deal and to parents who turn a blind eye. Late Alizee’s parents had 2 of their daughters living with her knowing fully well that the husband has a track record of abusing her violently?!?!.

What justice would be meted out to him will determine how Nigerian courts deem domestic violence.

7. Mrs chidukane

April 8, 2018 at 3:13 pm

In this life, there is nothing like #couplegoals. Create your own happiness. Stay in your lane. Don’t look up to anyone. Back then in my church, if you haven’t brought your future wife to meet my parents, you haven’t started. If my parents didn’t chair your wedding? Its even impossible. Yet the verbal abuse and sometimes, physical abuse my mother was experiencing every day was not here oh. I wish she had left. May her and her little one’s souls rest in peace

8. Deleke

April 8, 2018 at 3:46 pm

Domestic violence don’t know no color

9. jah rule

April 8, 2018 at 5:10 pm

ill just say this not from personal experience but what has happened severally around me….when a lady is the bread winner or financial muscle in the family ..that family usually know what is going on but painfully turn a blind eye because the consequence of intervening and possibly ending the cash flow is not something they want to experience so they encourage the woman to stay for selfish reasons …when my friend objected to her sis getting hitched to a much older oyibo because she saw that it as a quick exit from poverty ..the other members of her family cussed her out and told her to face her front before she stops their cash flow….sad

• Viv

April 9, 2018 at 9:25 am

But come oh there is no indication that the man was the bread winner. She got the status as a result of her contract with the music label she’s was signed up with. I guess she had reasons why she stayed and she was truly the bread winner so she took all her sisters. People just have this notion that ‘oyibo’ is richer and better so look at them like Demi gods. The man must have been a broke ass. Women created by God should not go through this.. no marriage is better than life. Rest in peace mama and little angel

10. Tara

April 8, 2018 at 5:45 pm

With all these domestic abuse cases some people will say that the wife should pray and stay with an abusive partner. Sometimes you need to get out when you can. The first time he beat her into a coma he should have been jailed but wife beating is so common here that they police let him off with nothing more than a promise not to do it again

11. A.D.A.

April 8, 2018 at 6:56 pm

So he beat your child into a whole coma – not simple slap, oh! COMA – and you kuku took his ‘undertaking’ and went to sit down somewhere? You don’t mean it.

12. Hmm

April 8, 2018 at 7:23 pm

I pray that bribery and corruption will not ruin this case and justice will be served,

13. john

April 8, 2018 at 7:32 pm

I don’t have any comment except LOL

• LOL? Really?

April 8, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Sick bastard

14. Davidina

April 8, 2018 at 7:42 pm

This is utterly sad. My condolences to the bereaved family

15. randommer

April 8, 2018 at 8:02 pm

This is serious. The juniors ones saw him hitting her head against the wall and her crying for help and jejely returned to their corner? na wah

• Susan

April 8, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Can you not read? They said he’ll have attacked them had they intervened. May you never be in such a situation.

• The Real Oma

April 8, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Yeah, I raised eyebrows at that too. But I reasoned the man beating her is a regular occurrence in their home so they thought it would be business as usual + they had learnt from past experience not to try to intervene.

• Mama

April 8, 2018 at 9:46 pm

Pray tell, what exactly would you have done? I can’t imagine a 10 year old having the physical strength to stop a possessed angry man. Since they live with them, it is possible that they’ve witnessed this scene too many times and have learned to stay out of it. Please, don’t blame the young children, blame Mr.. possessed for his actions.

16. Anwuli

April 8, 2018 at 8:23 pm

@Randommer. What could the siblings have done in such situation? They are just kids. Such a sad story. I still can understand what the poor child did to be strangled like that. If the man had issues with his wife, why kill the poor child.? Even if he found out she was fathered by someone one else, he could have just filled for a divorce.

17. Wow

April 8, 2018 at 9:15 pm

“She once came back to our house in Abuja after being battered by her husband. She was there for almost a month. The man came and started begging that he was drunk. He said he consumed too much alcohol on the fateful day he beat her. Since they had been together for a while and he had never misbehaved, I accepted his plea and allowed Alizee to return to Lagos.”

This right here is a problem. I’d assume this was before the incident last year where she was beaten to a coma. Yet, y’all didn’t deem it fit to get her out of this environment. You even continued to allow your impressionable 10 and 12 year old daughters stay with such an “aggressive” man. [SIGH]

18. Benjamin

April 8, 2018 at 9:43 pm

This is so sad. My heart goes out to the family of Alizee

19. Uyai

April 8, 2018 at 11:23 pm

Exactly. With all the news of domestic violence why did she stay. Selfish reasons? She is dead now. Sad

20. Temi Tope

April 8, 2018 at 11:28 pm

HE SHOULD BE HELD IN NIGERIA JAIL. MY MY MY! LORD WHAT IS THIS. ? THE FATHER IS NOTHING ELSE BUT A FOOL.. A GUY BEATS UP YOUR DZUGHTER AND THEN YOU LET HER GO BACK.. WELL SHE WILL NEVER COME OUT ALIVE. IT IS .. BECAUSE SHE WAS A SOURCE OF INCOME TO FEED YOU AND TAKE CARE OF YOU.. AND NOW YOU JEOPARDIZE HER LIFE AND THAT OF PETRA. PEOPLE IN AFRICA LET THEIR KIDS MARRY WHITE MAN LEFT AND RIGHT., AND THEY NEVER CHECK ON THE GUYS BACKGROUND OR HIS FAMILY. SO WHEN THEY COME TO AFRICA THEY ZRE GOOD, RICH AND COME FROM RICH FAMILIES. NO CHECKING NOTHING…MOST FAMILIESIN AFRICA DONT EVEN BOTHER MEET THE PARENTS OF THE WHITE GUY.. THEY ARE IN A HURRY TO CELEBRATE THE WEDDING.. MONEY IS THE COMING OOOOO!! MOST OF THESE WHITE MEN WHO COME TO AFRICA TO MARRIED THESE GIRLS ARE REJECTED BY THEIR OWN PEOPLE..SO THEY KNOW AFRICAN WOMEN ZRE DESPERATELY IN NEED TO GET OUT OF POVERTY.. NOT ALL OF THEM THOUGH.. ONE OF MY SISTER IS MARRIED TO A BRITISH BUT BOTH MY PARENTS TRAVELED TO U.K INSSITING OF MEETING THE FAMILY.. MUM AND DAD.. MY BROTHER DID A BACKGROUND CHECK ON THE GUY.. BEFORE THEY GOT MARRIED.. SCHOOLS HE ATTENDED, JOBS ETC..

I DEEPLY PRAY FOR HER SOUL TO REST IN PEACE AND THAT OF HER DAUGHTER. THIS IS A PITY, I DO HOPE THE GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIAN WOULD NOT LET THIS ANIMAL GET AWAY FROM THIS.

21. Cant believe it

April 9, 2018 at 1:11 am

Say that again? Beat into a coma? Do they know what a coma is? So this man nearly killed her before? I’m not understanding why or how the marriage continued after that. It is not like she was uneducated or unexposed. I there’s so much pressure and stigma when it comes to a woman having to leave her home but this woman was beat into a coma. Did no one comprehend the height of it? Nawa o. Shook.

22. OA

April 9, 2018 at 4:07 am

Too many factors to consider. We will never know other than he killed them (though not sure if conclusive evidence has been found). Who knows if her family Lydia even thought that the presence of her much younger siblings would prevent him from hitting her, hence sending them over. I don’t know anything about her oh, but on a general note. Some people think dating or marrying men with money (I’m talking both black and white) is their destiny-changing opportunity. When they determine early on that the man is a beast, they cannot fathom going back to their previous life, and so they stay. Bad idea. It’s a matter of time. Meanwhile as in this case, their destiny only gets to be cut short. May hers and her daughter’s soul Rest In Peace.

23. OA

April 9, 2018 at 4:09 am

Please how did Lydia enter my post? Please scratch. This iPhone sef!

• allnapackaging

April 9, 2018 at 5:10 am

na so…na autocorrect,wetin concern us with iphone.Abi na u =phone

24. Ijs

April 9, 2018 at 9:46 am

This woman committed suicide. He beat her into a coma last year, she came back and decided to go back to him. Is that not suicide?