News

Hair Stylist narrates how he was Arrested by Police for looking “like gay”

Hair Stylist narrates how he was Arrested by Nigeria Police for looking "Gay" | BellaNaija

Popular hairstylist Idowu Oluwatosin Olakunle has narrated, on his Instagram page – @highdtosin – how he was locked up for hours by the Nigeria Police force for looking like a gay person, too slim, and like a girl.

He was stopped in Ojota, he wrote on his Instagram, and was asked to introduce himself.

After he produced his ID card, he said the policemen complained he looked like a girl, acted effeminate, was gay, and eventually detained him. He wrote:

So this morning by 9am, I was on my way to style someone at Ogudu, I entered a public transport and was stopped by a guy at Ojota who asked me to introduced myself I asked why he said his police, they asked for my ID card I showed them, then he said I looked like a girl in my ID and that was how they started yelling and calling me names, then they took me and put me in their bus, took me all the way from Ojota to IWAYA POLICE POST then I asked what my offence was, they said I look like GAY, INDECENT ACT and I’m too SLIM that I’m a witch and I’m looking derain in nature . I was locked up from 9am – 4pm before they release me I was told to pay a sum of 5,000 naira. Please since when did been slim become an offence in LAGOS. I was unjustly maltreated today by the POLICE and I demand justice. ? ?

See videos of him detained below:

View this post on Instagram

So this morning by 9am, I was on my way to style someone at Ogudu, I entered a public transport and was stopped by a guy at Ojota who asked me to introduced myself I asked why he said his police, they asked for my ID card I showed them, then he said I looked like a girl in my ID and that was how they started yelling and calling me names, then they took me and put me in their bus, took me all the way from Ojota to IWAYA POLICE POST then I asked what my offence was, they said I look like GAY, INDECENT ACT and I'm too SLIM that I'm a witch and I'm looking derain in nature . I was locked up from 9am – 4pm before they release me I was told to pay a sum of 5,000 naira. Please since when did been slim become an offence in LAGOS. I was unjustly maltreated today by the POLICE and I demand justice. ? ? @fotoplagiarist @onobello @seyiitaylor @taylorliveng @Africanlolz @tundeednut @afrocreativetv #highdtosin #tl @thenetng @savageresponses @shawttynatt @laughnigeria @lindaikeji @james_atuma @pinkberrybloom @theaxisng @ijeomadaisy @calabar_chic

A post shared by Highdtosin Hairs Consult (@highdtosin) on

View this post on Instagram

THE MAN THAT ARRESTED ME… So this morning by 9am, I was on my way to style someone at Ogudu, I entered a public transport and was stopped by a guy at Ojota who asked me to introduced myself I asked why he said his police, they asked for my ID card I showed them, then he said I look like a girl and that was it they started yelling and calling me names then they took me and put me in their bus, took me all the way from Ojota to IWAYA POLICE POST then I asked what my offence was, they said I look like GAY, INDECENT ACT and I'm too SLIM. I was locked up from 9am – 4pm before they release me. Please since when did been slim become an offence in LAGOS. I was unjustly maltreated today by the POLICE and I demand justice. ? ? @fotoplagiarist @onobello @seyiitaylor @taylorliveng @Africanlolz @tundeednut @afrocreativetv #highdtosin #tl @thenetng @savageresponses @shawttynatt @laughnigeria @lindaikeji @james_atuma @pinkberrybloom @theaxisng

A post shared by Highdtosin Hairs Consult (@highdtosin) on

Photo Credit: highdtosin

1. Aiphee

May 29, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Hmmm….. When you think you’ve heard the worst.
    It’s well with Nigeria.

2. OA

May 29, 2018 at 2:36 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous. Someone should do something about this. Ahn-ahn, what right does anyone have to harass someone on the notion that they are gay? So what if they are even gay? Since when did that become a crime? This is unjust and the policemen who harassed this guy should receive due punishment. Foolish people! Have you seen them harass Bob Risky? Who born them? Se Bob Risky driving his Benz or Lexus is the one they will dare harass? Policemen who should be looking out for people, will be harassing person who just dey try do his hard day’s work. See how they not only prevented him from making a living, they also took from him? When they die suddenly, or bad things start happening to them and their families now, they will be the first to pray “fall down and die” forgetting that they themselves are the devil that should indeed fall down and die!

• ewo

May 29, 2018 at 10:48 pm

My heart goes out to christians who have to live in a time like this where a human will come out and say being gay is okay ahhhh i weep. JESUS CHRIST HAVE MERCY SODOM AND GOMORRAH IN REALITY

3. keke driver

May 29, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Can we just sell this country already??

• whocares

May 29, 2018 at 4:52 pm

who will buy?
      these types of things make my blood boil i swear.. looking like gay? kmft.

4. Miss Fine

May 29, 2018 at 3:27 pm

Stupidity of the highest order.

5. Corolla

May 29, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Our country is effed!! I give up.

6. Ottawa Queen

May 29, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Are they MAD?? I

7. Ottawa Queen

May 29, 2018 at 6:06 pm

…..If they are looking for gay people to arrest isn’t BOBRISKY walking around freely bagging endorsements up and down? Don’t they know where he lives? Stupid jobless unprofessional hungry police men! I pray they choke on that N5,000 #THISISNIGERIA

8. Ottawa Queen

May 29, 2018 at 6:08 pm

BN better stop deleting my comments and don’t get me pissed off this afternoon!

9. Ayana

May 29, 2018 at 7:23 pm

This is so unfair!

10. King Bae

May 29, 2018 at 7:23 pm

It’s okay to sell Nigeria at this point, smh

11. aaaaa

May 29, 2018 at 8:41 pm

LOL

12. Authentic Sunshine

May 29, 2018 at 9:38 pm

My heart bleeds as I mourn my country and my heritage. Pls someone who knows somebody should do something. Thanks

13. TheRealist

May 29, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Nigerians! We just love to stand on the sidelines and comment. Meanwhile, the same Nigerians sat on their hands while a bunch of idiots “representing” them at the National Assembly duly passed a law CRIMINALIZING homosexuality – and that law remains on the books until this day (with no hastag campaigns in sight), but we prefer to express outrage and opprobrium at the barely literate policemen at the bottom of the totem pole. We have the society we’ve EARNED!

• Aare farmland

May 30, 2018 at 12:28 am

It was assumed by the sponsors that the law had support of majority of voters. But the action of the policeman is wrong according to the intent of the law. The law criminalized activities in support of gay and lesbian organizations/members or gay and lesbian acts. The boy was not committing any gay act, it is just good old profiling.

14. Temi Tope

May 30, 2018 at 12:42 am

WOW!! I AM ANGRY AND SHOCKED!! JESUS!! ALAH AKABAR!! YEHWEH!! JEHOVAH… WHAT IS GOING ON..?? HE SHOULD SUE THEM… SO HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE MAYBE A BIG BUTT, BIG MUSCLES.. MUSTACHES… AND A BIG DICK?? LORD HAVE MERCY IN NAIJA

15. sem sem

May 30, 2018 at 1:16 am

BN. Its all well and good to share this story. But can you please follow up and use your platform to put pressure on the police force to treat this accordingly. Something has to give. This harassment of already struggling Nigerians is out of hand.

16. REE

May 30, 2018 at 10:29 am

Stupidity at its peak! how do you arrest someone cos he looks like gay? I weep for naija.