News

Dallas Police Officer Fatally Shoots Man after Mistaking his Apartment for Hers

Botham Shem Jean

A female Dallas police officer has been arrested and facing charges of manslaughter after killing a 26-year-old man in a very peculiar case of mistaken identity.

According to Dallas News, the unnamed officer shot Botham Jean, a graduate of Harding University, Arkansas who works at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas after entering his apartment thinking it was hers. The incident happened on Thursday at 10:00pm at the South Side Flats, 1210 S. Lamar St.

Speaking to NBC News on the death of Botham Jean, mom, Allison Jean shared: “I couldn’t believe it when we got that call. It just feels like a nightmare. I wish I could wake up. He impacted the lives of many. I’m getting calls from all over the world. My country St. Lucia is impacted.”

She added: “I don’t want to judge her. We are Christians. We forgive. But I need to look into her eyes and ask her why did she do that to my son. She took away my heart. My soul. He didn’t deserve to die.”

Allison also revealed that she was visiting New York when she received a call informing her that Botham had been killed in his own apartment.

“I didn’t hear any knocking or yelling beforehand, just the shot. And then the woman’s voice calling 911,” Jean’s next door neighbour Alyssa Kinsey said.

“It was, like, police talk: ‘Open up! Open up!'” another neighbour, Caitlin Simpson said.

Police spokesperson Sgt. Warren Mitchell refused to comment on whether the officer mistook him for an intruder.

“I won’t go into that information right now. We have not interviewed her. … We still have a lot to do in this investigation.”

The cop, according to officials, reported the gunshot and other police arrived within four minutes and administered first aid.

The deceased was pronounced dead at Baylor University Medical Center.

The case, according to police, is currently being privately investigated.

Photo Credit:  Botham Shem Jean (Facebook)

1. Dammie

September 8, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Sad!!!
    Another needless killing.

2. Tolany

September 8, 2018 at 1:13 pm

That police woman must have been under the influence of something. Poor Man. #Christian background, educated, minding his own business in his own home. Tragic. RIP to him. May God console his family.

3. Ephi

September 8, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Right in your own apartment, imagine!! They’ve taken murder from the streets to people’s houses. Shame on America.

4. semesee

September 8, 2018 at 1:38 pm

The cops shoot first and ask questions later! Seriously ! Meanwhile the peaceful protesters who knelt down are being vilified!

5. Lilo

September 8, 2018 at 1:43 pm

These two have had something at one point. He pissed her off. She assured him if he don’t act right , she will ef him up and make it look like an accident and here we are

• love

September 8, 2018 at 11:23 pm

Yap That could be the case who knows

6. jokobaba

September 9, 2018 at 12:56 am

Sad… i hope the police officer rots in jail.

7. Anon

September 9, 2018 at 1:37 am

What a sad story I empathize with all involved and their respective families…sounds like a freak accident!!

8. Tobenna moses

September 9, 2018 at 2:50 am

I’m not trying to be a judge here.
    I don’t know the kind of apartment they stay in but, I work and live outside the country in an estate with 4 different 6 storey buildings that all looks alike.
    I have mistakenly entered a wrong apartment myself ones and people have entered mine mistakenly too.
    Let the police and judge investigate and persecute.

• Pat

September 10, 2018 at 1:50 am

Did u have keys to all the apartments? The officer in questions who is a tenant can’t or shouldn’t have acess to another tenants apartment. Maybe apartment floor but into the apartment given that the key/locks are different. I have been to the wrong floor and apartment in my former bulding but quickly realised when my key won’t open the door. So the story still remains dicey.