THE FUTURE

Posted on Monday, December 11th, 2006 at 4:46 PM

By BellaNaija.com

The Future Awards honours and celebrates Nigeria’s young movers and shakers.
Young people between the ages of 18 and 31 are nominated by the public then assessed by an esteemed panel who choose the eventual winners.
The longlist for the 2007 awards have just been released and several bloggers were nominated including
Ms Minx
Lola from My Fish Bowl
Just Me
Toni Payne

Congrats to them!
I hope they all make the shortlist and take home the awards.
I am also proud of everyone else nominated! U guys are making a difference and inspiring the next generation!
Check out the list ~

7. Taiwo and Kehinde Okunoren – Designers, Okunoren Twins
8. Temi Ogunsnya – Creative Director, Tiger Tem

Young Person of the Year:
1. Symon Adeji – Sleek Magazine
2. Chimamanda Adichie – Accomplished young writer
3. Kafayat Shafaru – Dancer/Guinness Book of Records Holder
4. Ikpowusan Osakioduwa (Wildchild) – Presenter (Temptation Nigeria/Studio 53)
5. Bright Okpocha (Basketmouth) – Comedian

7. Emem Ema – Music Executive/Entrepreneur
8. Funlola Aofiyebi – Media Entrepreneur

Best Use of Goodwill:
1. Tosin Dekalu – New Generation CEO, Lady Cobbler
2. Jennifer Obayuwana – Polo Limited
3. Zena Igbinedion
4. Dumebi Agbakoba – Do Somethin’
5. TELD

7. Hip Hop World
8. ICON

Team of the Year:
1. Sound Effects
2. MASK – Dance Group
3. Thoroughbreds
4. The Zebra Team – Dance Group (Guinness Book of Records)
5. TELD

3. Victor Gotevbe
4. Moses Imayi
5. Purple Cancer Care

6. Temitayo Etomi
7. Henry Ilaegbe
8. Francis Anyaegbu

So what do you think of The Future Awards concept?
What did u do in 2006 that you are proud of?
Let us know!
Have a great week!

Be Sociable, Share!
  • Custom Search
  • 26 Comments on “THE FUTURE”

Comments
    • Anonymous December 11, 2006 at 5:28 PM

I am proud of losing 40lbs!

• Wale December 11, 2006 at 5:41 PM

i don’t know most of the people on the list…but it’s good to see some encouragement in “the future” of nigerians. i love the idea.

i’m sure it’s a VERY difficult list to compile.

• Mona December 11, 2006 at 5:42 PM

lol, ahh i wonder who will win the categories, I cant guess o…i blogged abt last yr’s one here: http://aramide.blogspot.com/2006/06/part-2-potential-and-new-dawn.html

Congrats to the bloggers :o)

• tatafo December 11, 2006 at 6:13 PM

yayyyyyyy!!!!! my friend is on that list oh!!! I’m popular by six degrees of seperation!!!!
      *lol*
      but damn…so na so Genevieve is just old school…Dakore and Ini Edo have pushed her out. damn!
      But I’m so proud of my girl sha.

• Nigerican December 11, 2006 at 6:55 PM

YOUNG PERSON of the year ,very interesting category.I would think everyone on that list would be a young person of the year.Oh and how come u’re not on this list thing .I never had respect for any form of Naija entertainment because i felt they half ass’d everything. U’ve introduced me to a new Naija world where people put in so much effort to produce somthing of great quality, and have gained my respect as a consumer.Thank you. In my book u r the YOUNG PERSON OF THE YEAR

• undressed*polaroid December 11, 2006 at 6:59 PM

where is true love in the magazine list??

look out for HAUTE on one of these lists…loll

• Anonymous December 11, 2006 at 7:30 PM

Uh…How old is Omotola??? Is she under 31?

• NIGERIA POLITRICKS December 11, 2006 at 7:32 PM

Well, I am surprised I wasn’t even nominated for any of the awards…even, if it was for the Never Gonna Win a Nigerian Award category. hehehehe! Anywayz, proud of the peeps listed, but hope they actually deserved it…Not another Nigerian half baked show business!

• Icy December 11, 2006 at 7:36 PM

I”m so rooting for ma gurly gurls.. Mimi and Toni..! Ya’ll better bring it lol!

• Ms. May December 11, 2006 at 8:10 PM

I concure with Icy! Toni and Mimi(my sis)…y’all go ladies. So proud of you. The Future Awards is a great thing because it recognizes young people doing it big in Naija in spite of the difficulties and challenges that working/living/being in Nigeria brings. It’s a great thing and I hope it becomes easier and easier as time passes to pull nominees that fit their 18-30 range.

• Dammie December 11, 2006 at 8:53 PM

LoL, Ebun!!!!

Ohhhhhh don’t worry….I will nominate Bella 10 times + next yr!!…

I love this list thing……it’s soo kewll….Ohh I just think this generation is fabulous!! *sigh*

• bhookey84 December 12, 2006 at 12:03 AM

gooooo mimi and okunoren twins !

• Angela December 12, 2006 at 3:30 AM

I’m sure eveyrbody on that list is a hardworker and i congratulate them on the nominations…but come what’s with 18-31 age range? why not 18-30 or 18 – 35years?
      What’s the significance of 31 again abi they just included 31 to accomodate one or two nominees over 30 by 2 months?
      I’m happy for Funlola Aofiyebi (She was Tam Tam in Keeping Faith).. Home girl is just on another level.

• Anonymous December 12, 2006 at 4:26 AM

why the hating on OmoT! oh baby deserves it o jare! :)
      And I don’t think Haute Mag is on the list bcos it is produced and distributed in the U.S, correct me if i’m wrong.

• Toni Payne December 12, 2006 at 6:30 AM

awwww..thnx bella..
      @icy .. omo na try we fit try o.. the list is pretty impressive.

BTW bella, I have the NI video up now. was tryna have it up for monday morning but had a busy day. Enjoy!

• angie December 12, 2006 at 6:42 AM

i have more than one favorite on some list!!! I wish everyone of them wld win, cos they r all winners!!!!

• Lola December 12, 2006 at 8:23 AM

hey bella! thanks for the shout out but babe……let me send you another pic yeah?!?! LOL! i sooo appreciate the nomination cuz up till now i don’t know who nominated me so it means a lot to me. ANNNNDDDDDDD i’m rooting for my girl Ms. Minx! just look at her category, girl, those are your peers! i keep telling her she’s a star…. :o)

• Lola December 12, 2006 at 10:36 AM

BANKE MESHIDA WAS NOMINATED FOR ENTREPENEUR (BEAUTY AND STYLE)????????????????????

• uzo December 12, 2006 at 1:34 PM

So great…So so great

• zaiprincesa December 12, 2006 at 8:12 PM

e ya…im proud of them even though i dont know any of them personally sha…Big Ups to all the Nominees!

• Anonymous December 13, 2006 at 6:24 AM

The concept is really nice but I think that the concentration is focused mainly on Lagos & this is a shame.

The future awards should be widespread over Nigeria with its nominations and not Lagos dominated. There are people in Northern Nigeria who are doing fantastic work uplifting children & raising female enlightenment. There are young people in the East of Nigeria who are building great businesses that will be tomorrow’s conglomerates and these guys too deserve to be nominated/recognised etc.

• temmy tayo December 13, 2006 at 10:57 AM

It is a lovely idea to encourage those that are nominated.

Congrats to the bloggers nominated.

• Anonymous December 14, 2006 at 9:54 AM

Etomi’s are just too cool! Previously Oseyi, now Temitayo… We ROCK lol. Good post Bella

• The Life of a Stranger called me December 15, 2006 at 9:44 PM

wow – its always good to know a few people on the list of nomination!!

• Anonymous July 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM

I’ve been hearing of this guy Otu Ukpanah. Can someone post his photo? I’ll like to see one.

• Ifeomaadiagwuagwu March 21, 2008 at 2:15 PM

I agree with anon 5:24AM, most of these awards are so Lagos – centered that it kinda becomes boring. You know… same ole, same ole. They should try other states in Nigeria, especially, the Eastern parts, i tell you – places like Enugu town. One will be surprised on how far the people there have gone, in terms of, fashion and entertainment.

It is just like saying, “oh, New York is where is at,” meanwhile you don’t even want to know how it is going down in places like Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and San Francisco, not to talk of Tuscon Arizona. These are just examples.

Back to the main point; the organisers of these award shows, i would suggest, should try other states like i aforementioned. It will be good, i am positive about that. And it will make a lot of changes, it will be fresh, innovative because it is like, “all coming together in preparation for the olympics and the end results are just too phenomenal.”

Ok. forgive the pun but i guess one knows what i mean.

Organisers: pls, try other states, it would be good.

Congrats to the nominees: you guys are not boring.