Fear is a Choice! Don’t Give in to It

Danger is real, but fear is a choice

These were the words of Will Smith’s character in the movie ‘After Earth’. It got me thinking about how true it is and how it affects our everyday lives. An incident that occurred came to my mind.  I would refer to the person involved as Mr. X.

About two months ago, Mr. X engraved the tomb of his four years old child who passed away sometime in the middle of the year. He went to inspect the engraving one afternoon. He decided to take pictures to show to family and friends. He captured photos and went home and rested. Later at night he decided to go through the pictures, and was shocked to see that all the pictures had very dark backgrounds, since it was on a bright sunny afternoon he took the photos. On closer look, the ghost of a young girl was seen hovering behind the tomb in all the pictures, especially very distinctly in one, which had the darkest background. Mr. X couldn’t sleep that night.

He came to work the next day and showed us all. People were bringing up theories, one of which stated that the girl probably had a message to pass across so he had to go figure it out. Another said his son probably knew the girl while alive and that she had died too so was just playing around her friend’s grave. Only one person kept hammering that it was just the devil’s ploy to make us doubt the word of God. Mr. X planned to go show his pastors the pictures so they could decipher whatever message was being passed across or whatever the girl symbolized.

I was terrified. I had never believed in the stories that ghosts could be seen walking around, and having the evidence right in front of me seemed scary. The image of the girl with the ayamatanga dangling braids, stuck in my head. I got home that evening and was scared to sleep in the dark. The next night was even worse. I could swear that in the midnight, she was in the room and tried touching me until I screamed ‘Jesus’. If it was a dream or real, then I could never tell, all I know was that it happened and I was freaked out. For the following nights to come, I never slept without sprinkling holy water all over the room, and rubbing olive oil over my forehead, for protection. After a week, other things were happening in my life and I forgot the story of the picture ghost and then never had a cause to be afraid at nights again.

A month and two weeks later, we were working in the office as usual, when Mr. X came in and went all, ‘yea do you guys remember those pictures of my son’s tomb, where a ghost was appearing in all? Well, yesterday when I was taking photos at home, the pictures were all having dark backgrounds and the ghost was appearing in them, so my older son took a look and saw that the camera had been on ghost mode along, thus the background and creepy girl‘.

You can imagine the look on my face and thoughts in my head. I went on laughing for a while, even as he went on to say how some pastors had talked about holding paid special prayers sessions so the ghost could stop tormenting the boy’s graveside. I was thinking about how much power fear could have over us once we let it. All we have to do is believe something, and that is it. It controls us and all we do, while it is still in our heads. I was amazed at how terrified I was over something unreal, and at the same time, made a note to be more careful in future, the things I let myself fear.
Because fear is like cancer…the more you feed it,the more it grows till you are left paralysed! It affects confidence and clouds your joy! Making you a prisoner of your own mind.

Photo Credit: 123rf.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Amarachi Alisiobi is a geologist by profession, a writer by interest and a co-deejay by association.

19 Comments on Fear is a Choice! Don’t Give in to It
  • mental November 27, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Wow…thank you

• lucy tracy November 27, 2013 at 6:55 pm

hehehehehehehe

• just meeee November 27, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I can totally relate with this,fear can be so powerful and can consume us if we allow it.Reminds me of a day years back when on my way to work at 5.45 am (I had to leave that early to join my kind friend who drops me off at work),i suddenly saw a light from afar by a bridge just outside my street,the scary thing was the light was tiny from the distance and seemed to be moving and kept getting bigger,from a tiny speck it kept increasing and seemed to be moving towards me,I took off faster than Bolt, I was scared stiff,it took a while for my palpitations to go down and I had goose bumps all over.I got to work and regaled them with tales of how an apparition bearing a light had tried chasing me!Anyway I stopped taking that route,infact I started leaving home later than I usually did,until a certain day I decided to take that route when the day had broken a bit around 6.30am,and just by that same bridge,an aged man who was the security man of the next street sat down smoking a stick of cigarette,he stood up as I got to his side and said:Sisi,are you not the one who was running like something was after you the other day when I was coming out from under the bridge?I just went there to defecate,you need not be afraid.It suddenly hit me!;the man was walking out and had a cigarette in his hands which kept increasing in size as he got closer cause twas dark!felt so silly about how scared I had been!!I could have sworn that there were ghosts by that bridge!!Fear ehn?

• Endo November 27, 2013 at 7:29 pm

As Franklin Roosevelt once said ” the only thing we have to fear is fear itself ”

Pls share your endometriosis stories @ endochallenges.wordpress.com. Let’s beat endo together!

• funke November 27, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Wow! Lovely. Was wondern wat d content would look like when I saw the topic. Ariyike I need ur email pls. I have some write- ups u can share. I write articles like this also

• Iyke November 27, 2013 at 8:03 pm

FEAR – An Unwelcome Intruder:
    Fear has had it’s way with me…an unholy assault…rooted in the weight of me. Uninvited…inescapable…hard to ignore…even harder to take it… A grip hard to imagine…and hardest to break…yet fear is a bully…alive on borrowed momentum…stolen intention…only as powerful as we feed and allow it… As forceful as unconscious will gives it power…fear lives on “unmanaged” constipation…simply an illusion…an intrusion…of invention…we all tend and allow life to generously sanction.

• bee November 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm

LOOOOOOL. This just tore me up. I had to comment….. Sisi,are you not the one who was running like something was after you the other day when I was coming out from under the bridge?I just went there to defecate,you need not be afraid….. I give up loooool

• Olufunmi November 27, 2013 at 8:28 pm
  • mp November 27, 2013 at 8:29 pm

wow. this article is incredible. thanks for sharing. it was short but powerful

• Dr. N November 27, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Aha! I heard of a couple that went to bed on their wedding night, in the room where there gifts were stored. The gifts were yet to be unwrapped. As they were about to get busy, there was the sound of a crying child from the region of the presents. They called the pastor who came down that night and prayed loudly for about 1 hour. Just when they felt relieved that all their troubles were over, the sound came again. On and on for 3 hours. Finally, the pastor decided to isolate the package responsible, and take it outside for burning. The couple asked him to unwrap it 1st, so they would know who gave them the evil gift. Lo and behold, it was a wall clock! The type that belts out a tune every hour! We should not let fear paralyze us. Always remember, He will not put more on u than u can handle. Cheers.

drnsmusings.wordpress.com.

• Amarachi Alisiobi November 28, 2013 at 9:30 am

Haha the pastor must have felt so stupid

• Philip Okiche November 28, 2013 at 12:19 am

Yep, totally enjoyed the moral lessons learnt from this article.

• Itse November 28, 2013 at 8:33 am

LOL, sure had a good loud laugh this morning @ghost mode.
    Fear does exist, only it exist in your mind, hence it is never real.

• batiatus maxwell November 28, 2013 at 9:54 am

Dope piece! Fortunately,I own fear!i created fear! Hahahahahaha

• larz December 2, 2013 at 12:45 pm

we think it is funny but the reality isn’t. fear paralysis and sometimes hold us back

• Olakunle Bolomope September 22, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I totally agree with you. I also believe that fear is only human and it is how we decide to act when we are in the state of fear that matters the most, for example my fear of failure drives my success it doesn’t stop from trying. Whenever you are scared, take a deep breath and try your best to make a logical decision.
    This is a very beautiful write up. Thumbs up… #WCW