Music

My Legal Team and I are Working to Sue 2Baba – Blackface

Blackface (left) and 2Baba

Ahmedu Augustine (popularly known as Blackface), a member of the defunct Plantashun Boiz group formed in 2000 with 2Baba (Innocent Idibia) and Faze (Chibuzor Oji), has said that he and his legal team are working on taking 2Baba to court over intellectual property theft.

He made this known in an interview with Premium Times.

See excerpts:

PT: What have you been up to recently?

BFN: My recent work is my 6th album, which I titled DEFENDER VOL1. It took me over 6 years to finally put an album out again after so long and this is because I wrote so many songs. So, because my fans have missed me so very much, I am making it in two volumes; the first (Defender Vol 1) is out on iTunes and you can find it on some digital sites as well.

PT: You have been somewhat quiet in the music scene

BFN: Yes, I have been quiet and this is because some persons are plotting to make Nigerians turn their back on BlackfaceNaija because I stand for what they don’t stand for. They are jealous and hence been plotting for years over seven years to keep me out of the industry by labelling me names and putting out false information about me so the corporate bodies won’t engage my services. And hey, they are doing a good job at it so far, I must tell you; that’s why you say I’ve been quiet. I say this because I remember I had put some videos out like KILLAH and some other singles but no radio or TV agreed to play my music for the fans. So, I hope you all know now why I’ve been quiet all these while.

PT: You have been very critical of your former band mate 2Baba of recent on social media. Don’t you think it’s better to reach out to him in person rather than the social media outbursts?

BFN: The medium doesn’t matter. What matters is that he and his people get my message.

PT: Since you accuse 2Baba of intellectual theft have you considered taking legal actions against him?

BFN:  Yes, I have; and my legal team is working on that, as that’s the best way to go. When I accused them, they lied and said it’s “unfortunate.” I said they took my song and then even said maybe my account was hacked. Well, if you thought so why didn’t you pick up your phone and say “Yo black.. . What’s going on?” But no, they won’t because they wanted to steal it and it backfired, and they trying to act ‘holy’ so they make flimsy excuses. (2Baba) and his manager planned all of that. 2face sang my song (Let Somebody Love You) and featured an American artiste Bridget Kelly. His manager published it without my permission. Till today they haven’t deemed it fit to tell the world that they tried to assassinate my character in the media but that couldn’t be justice and they know. So, the court is our only option as they keep avoiding meetings thinking that with time it will all fade off. But, they know not what tomorrow holds and neither do I.

PT: Do you regret the fact that Plantashun Boiz split and do you think the group would have survived this long?

BFN: I don’t regret the music I gave to the fans during that era. It was a starting point for me…a learning curve as I am still learning a lot from all the stuffs they did to give me a bad name. But I was born to do this (music) and I can’t stop and definitely not now.

PT: Did you foresee the breakup?

BFN: For real, with all that I know now, I am really surprised how we lasted that long and even made such records, Jah knows best.

PT: As a renowned songwriter, will I be correct to say that African Queen is your biggest song yet?

BFN: It’s a huge song and I always thought it will be that big when we (Plantashun Boiz) used to sing it for fans under the trees in 201 road in my late uncle, Captain Moses’ retired, place in Festac Town. Nobody had that sort of melody or style at that time, so it was bound to be a hit.

PT: Are you enjoying royalties from it?

BFN: All the facts about those will be known soon because there is so much unfinished business around the song since its release till date. And all the royalties will have to be traced and paid to whom it’s due.

1. Skyprince Dayagha

April 25, 2017 at 6:35 am

As for me…. Nobody Knows what Happened Only God Knows

Oluwa will work out every thing

2. Mary

April 25, 2017 at 7:10 am

You want to come back to limelight? Coming out on social media to say all these is not the right way, there are better ways to do it. Remember 2Babas fans got his back anytime any day.

To clarify this I also think 2Baba and his management should come out and clear the air.
    My reasons: this guy seems to been sure of what his is saying and this isn’t the first time he is coming out to say throw these allegations.
    I hope they settle their differences.
    #OneLove

• Jess

April 25, 2017 at 8:00 am

No need to join issues with him., that’s his aim. If you fight with a pig you will come out dirty. Social Media is not the place to clear up issues if there is one. I wish more people will learn to ignore. You remember that saying”silence is the best answer to a………”

3. funmilola

April 25, 2017 at 7:17 am

Whatever blackface, just do what you wanna do quickly and move on!
    This your ranting af do.

4. Renee moore

April 25, 2017 at 7:21 am

Uncle,won tan yin sir??????????MMM

5. jokobaba

April 25, 2017 at 8:09 am

One minute silence for Balckface’s career guys…..

6. yummymummycumchick

April 25, 2017 at 8:54 am

wow! he has been jealous since day 1 i guess. so much hate from him. what a frienemy ….hate will only wreck u more . accept the fact 2baba is bigger . #gbafuogae

7. Wale

April 25, 2017 at 9:02 am

Blackface, I know you must have been really hurt, maybe even badly than we thought….but for your image (please, let rebuild it) and also for your-friendship with 2face, please, reach out to him and resolve this! Stella and Kate Heshaw just did that and am wowed! You guys can, please kill that Ego. I lost a brother, friend and confidant in a similar way!

8. Ifeyinwa Atuanya

April 25, 2017 at 9:12 am

@yummymummycumchick, “accept that 2baba is bigger”; Means What?

They are not your friends, leave them alone……

@Wale, god Bless you, bros…. You understand Friendship between men

9. Mummy Ade

April 25, 2017 at 9:13 am

rme…pls get over yourself and also make good songs…that can help Nigerians forget all this your unnecessary outbursts.

10. mulikat

April 25, 2017 at 9:33 am

jealous,will kill this man young,call blackface,his black inside out.

11. collins

April 25, 2017 at 10:15 am

hey guys are saying black to forget about it do you its feels for some one to be betrayed

12. collins

April 25, 2017 at 10:19 am

and you guys are calling him name stop that cos you don’t know what coming to you so shut up and put your head straight thanks

13. Pita

April 25, 2017 at 10:39 am

Dude you hv been saying that eon years from now…. Get on with it already. Anit you tired of this ur shadow boxing? SMH!!

• maren

April 25, 2017 at 3:57 pm

turanci da wiya!! wayoo ido na!!

14. bb

April 25, 2017 at 11:32 am

Dear Blackface, you and your team – whether legal or otherwise – should concentrate on reviving your music and your career. Whatever, advise you may be receiving now, do not think fighting so hard to pull down someone else will help you. Wake up, work hard and rev-up your music. It is never too late unless you go in the wrong direction.

15. DeeDee

April 25, 2017 at 11:57 am

Barman!!! I’ll have double of what ever he is drinking and a large wrap of what he’s smoking please.!!!

16. chychy

April 25, 2017 at 2:19 pm

This guy is just jealous of Tubaba… Period!!!

17. survivor

April 25, 2017 at 8:30 pm

And no one notice 2face shade this guy for his new song…..

18. Freemind

April 26, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Na wa for pple sef. Sha, don’t mock a pain you haven’t endured.

19. Great Vine

April 27, 2017 at 11:28 am

A right step in the wrong direction equates to wrong step!… Let’s get our acts right by first thinking, and then choosing right!
    Shalom!