Scoop

Stylist StyledBySeun apologizes for involving Mercy Aigbe in Red Dress Saga

BellaNaija.com

A few days ago, an Instagram user @rettypety accused fashion designer Rikaotobyme of using her wedding dress for Mercy Aigbe’s 40th birthday shoot.

The designer then issued an apology saying it was a result of an error in dispatch and apologized for causing the bride so much grief.

Now, stylist StyledbySeun has come forward to take responsibility and apologize for the part he played.

In a post shared on his Instagram page, he said the Nollywood actress had nothing to do with the situation and he wasn’t told the dress was custome-made for someone else.

He wrote;

StyledBySeun

See his post below:

I would like to apologize to my Client regarding the ongoing ” RED DRESS SAGA ” involving my client “MERCY AIGBE” who contracted me to style her for her 40th birthday photoshoot . I picked up (4) four dresses on behalf of my client (Mercy Aigbe) from the Fashion Designer ” RIKAOTO BY ME” on 28th December,2017 for my client’s photoshoot of which the “Red Dress” was one. However, I was in no way informed it was a custom-made dress for RIKAOTO’s BRIDE. This has put a dent in my client’s image for which I am truly sorry for as I handled the transaction on her behalf. I would like to clearly state that my client Mercy Aigbe wasn’t aware the dress was for anyone prior to when the news broke. My heartfelt apologies to the affected bride as well; No bride should be without her dress on her big day. I wasn’t aware the Red Dress was hers and I am truly sorry for the disappointment she exprerienced. Thank you StyledBySeun Cc @shawttynatt @lazywritablog @instablog9ja @[email protected] @distinctvendors @pulsetv @bellanaijaonline @the_commentsection @rillimillz @ameriesblog

A post shared by Oluwaseun Olopade (@styledbyseun) on

1. Ottawa Queen

January 6, 2018 at 3:08 pm

You just walked in and picked 4 wedding dresses probably meant for 4 brides…?

• Ladi

January 6, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Lol!

• Me

January 6, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Looool

• Temi

January 7, 2018 at 7:46 am

This is a mercy Aigbe defense/damage control masked as apology. Truth is Mercy is trying really hard, albeit woefully, to come out of this unscathed when the damage is already done. Borrow pose make me slay mama

• Bola

January 7, 2018 at 9:06 am

I am not a Mercy fan AT ALL, but this can happen to anyone; why are you blaming Mercy? If anything, I blame the fashion designer. And I respect the fact that the stylist has come out to apologize and has done so without giving excuses. If you’ve ever used a stylist before, how do you expect to know that the dress/outfits they pick out for you to wear is in this case, “stolen”? Fashion designers work with stylists and you don’t expect the stylist to have known the dress was for a bride. As a result, I blame the fashion designer solely for this.

2. Kimmy

January 6, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Framed up to appologise openly.. why did you disable the comment section on the instagram post.

3. Kimmy

January 6, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Greed” Mercy offered a more juicy price. Please change if you want to move forward in your business.

• Temi

January 7, 2018 at 7:47 am

Mercy is the biggest Alawin. Juicy price ko

4. Me

January 6, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Honestly though, I only feel sorry for the bride and no one else. Poor girl.

5. Molly

January 6, 2018 at 3:37 pm

He could have also tagged the bride to apologise rather than tagging media news outlets only. The designer is the one that should be held primarily responsible for this mess, we saw the whatsapp screen shots – when she stopped taking the poor girl’s calls. I had an experience with a Nigeria designer where I was given a dress in wrong size, instead of apologising initially for the mistake made, I was met with arguments that my measurement was used for the dress 2/3 sizes smaller sent to me, I was told the person that I had been dealing with was the mother of 4 children and was not my mate, I should show her more respect if I wanted her to continue dealing with me because I addressed her as young lady. I live in the UK, I ordered the dress via instagram. I have now decided not to buy anything online unless I personally know the designer because I can see that the Nigerian market is not yet mature. They have people running businesses with a chip on their shoulder who do not have A CLUE about good customer service, you can’t be a good service provider with a chip on your shoulder. I only eventually got proper traction when I tagged the business on social media and made a public comment about how I was treated. Nigerian businesses, pls let’s get our act together.

• Temi

January 7, 2018 at 7:56 am

Caveat emptor with instagram businesses especially if it’s a naija behind the handle. Everyone wants to be entrepreneurs but don’t want to put in the work. You DM then 20 times no response. You WhatsApp them tire no response. You finally get them to answer their phones its attitude galore. Yet they will flood your timeline with advertising to buyy wig, lace, cream, shoes, cologne

• Quisse

January 7, 2018 at 9:12 am

While I agree that some businesses (local and international) need to learn a lot about customer service and branding, as a customer you do not DM to make enquiries on Instagram, unless you’re authorized to do so (some businesses, even here in Canada ask that they do not want DMs for enquiries). You send emails, and if you want quick responses; you make enquires by telephone.

6. Leah

January 6, 2018 at 3:44 pm

The designer is the only one to blame for what she intentionally did to that bride and I really hope she sues. But imagine if some of these famous women who demand so much respect from others lead by example. Imagine if Toke had just sat at another table when another diner told her they were reserved for friends just like any decent human being would have. Imagine if Mercy herself would have offered her side and sympathy for the bride just like the rest of public have. It only matters to them when they are directly involved, and they want all of us to join in their grief. The sense of intilement and the arrogance they show in cases like this really gets me. The designer thought Mercy deserved the dress more that the owner because of the publicity she would get. If I were Mercy and feel bad that someone had to through that on my behalf without me knowing. They always talk about women supporting women but whether it’s the lady at the restaurant saving seats for friends or the bride disappointed on wedding day, they never show support or respect.

• lilo

January 6, 2018 at 4:15 pm

7. Leah

January 6, 2018 at 4:05 pm

May I also add that this version of events is very different from that lame excuse that dump tailor gave. She said it was a dispatch error from the delivery guy and this stylist is now claiming that she picked up the dress herself. I Really hope the bride in question sues the person, she now had all the evidence she needs. If there is no consequence, there will be no change for people like her. There has to be turning point for her to get it.

8. Melvy

January 6, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Celebrity or not… Mercy should publicly sympathize with the bride and call out the designer just like every other person has done… Her silence is quite deafening. The only person who deserves an apology here is the bride… What is a birthday photoshoot compared to a wedding bikonu??? Humans are just wicked.

• Olope

January 6, 2018 at 7:07 pm

not everyone else has publicly apologized, and not everyone has to. Manage your expectations, people are different, and not everyone cares to play to the gallery. You sound bitter that others are more privileged than you, rather than just accepting it and understanding you are also more privileged than others.

9. Letty

January 6, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Rikaotobyme has apologised profusely. Seun has apologused profusely. This was simply a pure instance of human error. Nigerians know how to bastardise anything that comes across them such as social media. Nigerians are easily the most Aggressive and crass ppl on the planet. Social media, juju will be the demise of Nigerians. It’s only a dress stupid? It appears she did receive the dress but in a wrong size. Stop this stupidity and mayhem

• Bleeeh

January 6, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Shut up

• twix

January 6, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Oh letty…..can you please just shut up already!!!!!!

• Chica

January 6, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Shut up abeg, Rikatononsense did not apologize! That was Not an apology!

• Happy

January 6, 2018 at 9:29 pm

shut up woman!

• Bitte

January 7, 2018 at 3:32 am

Oh shut f$ck up!!! If you don’t have anything reasonably to say.

• Seriously

January 7, 2018 at 6:03 am

No, you should stop your stupidity. It’s not just a dress, it’s the heart and motives behind it. It says a lot about you though. To condone such unprofessionalism and in support of lies. Which means you can do something like that and not find anything wrong with it.

• Nia

January 7, 2018 at 4:01 pm

The designer has allegedly pulled this “error” before. The profused apology needs to be backed up by responsible actions. It’s not just a dress issue due to human error; a huge sum of Money is involved.

• Ello Bae

January 8, 2018 at 4:09 am

My friend will you keep quiet!

10. John Matilda

January 6, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Letty shut up!!!!

• Anonymous

January 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Yes Letty. Sharap there. Mercy will endear herself more to her fans by showing empathy. And I am not saying she is at fault in anyway. It would just make the bride feel better. Woman to woman. Common!!!

• bey

January 6, 2018 at 11:49 pm

This letty has leaking brain sha.
      My own is when the supposed error was noticed. Couldn’t they have collected the dress from Mercy i mmediately. Even if it was a day to the wedding they noticed. Could they not fly this dress to Benin morning of the wedding . Flight is 45mins, road is 3 hours. She won’t change into that dress till evening
      Why give the bride a musty, torn 2nd hand dress.
      A model first wore this dress, then mercy after.
      It’s painful to see a fabric you bought being worn by everyone but you.
      What gives you the right to let your model model my own fabric.

11. zzzzzzzzzzz

January 6, 2018 at 6:31 pm

Error, have you ever been disappointed by a tailor? I doubt. This is not an error it was deliberate and very wicked to have done that to a bride on her wedding day. I really pray the bride sues the designer. It would serve as an example to others to behave. I once gave my material to a tailor to sew and the material got stolen in his shop. He told me to bring a dress so he can sew it free, I said I would bring 2 fabrics since the material cost more and was no more in the market. Can you believe this tailor sewed only one fabric and refused sewing the other? Or is it the one who abandoned my clothes because clients from Abuja gave him some work to do. Or is it a tailor who took the fabric a customer gave him and sewed clothes for himself and his wife. Because of the excesses of these tailors, I decided to learn sewing so that I can sew my dresses myself

• Fizzy

January 6, 2018 at 7:27 pm

Lol. Sew cloth for himself and wife? Nothing wey persin nor go hear/see for Nigeria.

That Rikato something is a greedy, wicked MF. Evil somebody.

• LoveAddict

January 7, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Some of these tailors need to sleep in Jail for some days. Thats pure theft. And they are proud un top of it all.

12. Anabelle

January 6, 2018 at 11:50 pm

Once upon a time until this scandal broke, I loved and admired Rikaoto/Maryam. Clearly, anybody doing biz with her is doing so at their own risk. This stunt is not only heart breaking, but purely disgusting. Also learned that this is not the 1st time she’s pulled this stunt; the difference is it involves a popular celeb, and the replacement dress she sent to the bride was a return from 2016 from another event. Maryam should quit blabbing allover social media and cough out the money owed to the bride (for the fabric and the sewing plus interest sef). The bride deserves that at least. Maryam’s actions is what matters. Until that happens, perhaps she and her brand can earn the lost respect and rebuild her rep.

13. bey

January 7, 2018 at 12:08 am

Rikibumbum or whatever your 1st or 2nd apology doesn’t hold water.
    Give the bride money for her fabric, refund of what she gave you and a heavy compensation. Make this public knowledge.
    Then you need to do some charity work,give the needy, do some community work. Maybe and just maybe Nigerians will forgive you.
    I won’t ever use your services or recommend you anyway. Because you seem rude. You ignored all the bride’s frantic calls. Because you thought you are a Lagos big girl. And who is the bride ????
    That is the power of social media for you.
    Some businesses never recover from scandals. Hope yours does.
    I can remember when it was reported Chocolate royal in vi was using expired stuff. They never even really brought out a statement addressing the issue. They were closed for months.
    They never recovered. You don’t even meet a group when you go there. Somewhere that used to be packed weekends.

14. Letty

January 7, 2018 at 6:33 am

All of you misguided materialistic Nigerians..armchair judges all you people back to sender. You all just love you some Letty and her brilliance. Going beserk because of a bloody dress. Get a life boos..

• Smh

January 7, 2018 at 8:44 am

Misguided, materialistic Nigerians you say… Yet you can’t get enough of us or even this blog. You’re everywhere posting comments… Or have you forgotten this is a blog owned by a Nigerian?

Nne please take a seat. You’re obviously looking for attention.

• SillyGirlLetty

January 7, 2018 at 8:46 am

Twart!

• Zee

January 7, 2018 at 11:51 am

Sigh… sad, delusional human.. move along pls

15. ol

January 7, 2018 at 6:07 pm

lol. 0 to 100 real quick.

16. Smallandmighty

January 8, 2018 at 12:15 am

All I have to say is this……..

The dress in question fitted Mercy Aigbe abi?

But it was custom made for the bride…..right?

But somehow fitted Mercy……that is all.

Integrity is KEY!!!

17. Lisa

January 8, 2018 at 2:22 am

Even if she gave the bride the wrong dress in error. Why did she now send the dress to mercy aigbe.

18. FinchleysFinest

January 8, 2018 at 11:20 am

I still don’t know why y’all blaming Mercy. She wasnt the one in charge of the dress… If she stays silent about this…its her decision..

Its between a bride and a “TAILOR” . Lets leave it all like that…