Scoop

Fashion Designer Rikaotobyme under fire for using bride’s fabric for Mercy Aigbe Birthday shoot

BellaNaija.com

Fashion Designer Rikaotobyme under fire for using bride's fabric for Mercy Aigbe Birthday shoot

Nollywood actress Mercy Aigbe hit the big 40 today and to celebrate, she shared stunning photos of herself in a piece by designer, Rikaotobyme.

However, things took a different turn when Instagram user @rettypety accused the designer of styling the actress with her wedding dress.

In an Instagram post, she shared screenshots of her chat with the said designer. She also explained how she provided the material for the outfit and also gave the idea for how she wanted the dress, only for the designer to disappoint on her wedding day.

She was therefore shocked when she saw the said outfit on Mercy Aigbe for her birthday shoot.

She wrote:

This was too bad. On the 29th of December 2017 which happens to be a day to my wedding, a greedy designer decided to ruin my big day. I cried all day no stop. I bought this lovely fabric from @bshani_bridalfbrics and asked her to deliver to this designer @rikaotobyme after I had concluded the style and price with @rikaotobyme I made a 50% payment to her as soon the fabric got to her. Told her its my wedding reception dress she assured me it will be ready on 26th. on that 26th i chatted her up to ask for my dress she replied saying it was ready as u can see on the chat above, she also said she will send a pics, eventually now sent a video d next day which was 27th u can also see that on the chat above. I sent the balance 50% to her on 28th when I had seen the dress and was satisfied, she couldn’t send that day cos all flights coming to Benin that day were cancelled. So we were now left with 29th a day to my wedding, I called her by 6am that morning and she told me d delivery Guy has gone to d park to send my dress that she will send the waybill details(sending details ) across shortly. I waited till 9am no words from her. i started calling to ask for the waybill details she wasn’t taking my calls, atimes she even cut the calls. I sent several messages no response at 1pm I started crying cos the situation got beyond my control. My hubby,friends and family requested for the number and also started calling her but she obviously decided not to take any calls again. Until 4pm when I was drained in tears she then called and was apologising that she didn’t know what to say to me that y she refuse taking calls, she continued saying the delivery guy she gave my dress to is no where to be found. when she heard how I was crying she then suggested to give me one of her old dresses for me to use for the day, I had no choice cos I was desperate I then accepted it.i got d dress on my wedding morning. I went on IG yesterdy only to see @realmercyaigbe wearing my dress with the same fabric I bought and she tagged same designer @rikaotobyme. how much did she pay u to disappoint a bride on her wedding day? U are heartlessly wicked and u will sure not get away with this @rikaotobyme

She also shared a video the designer sent of her dress when it was ready:

The video @rikaotobyme sent on the 27th. Showing me my dress

A post shared by poshdol (@rettypety) on

See screenshot below:

Photo Credit: Instagram – @realmercyaigbe

1. Happy

January 1, 2018 at 10:15 pm

The designer is very evil and greedy. Mercy Aigbe is also shameless

• Lola

January 1, 2018 at 10:37 pm

Not Mercy’s fault. I don’t think she knows the dress belongs to a bride or someone else

• Authentic Sunshine

January 2, 2018 at 7:07 am

Sorry let me perch here and rant my arse off;
      NOO OHHH DON’T let it end here. Sue her arse off start from 20 Million and bridlock. Hook Mercy too ( the shameless tart) in the process and bleed her. Keep this post alive for a long time. After 3 months send agbero to go destroy her shop. I am soo pained. This is a bit personal cos I’m planning my wedding, can’t afford a planner, meticulously doing everything myself and wrung up. I will hit the roof if this happened to me. Did you guys see her asking the designer what she thought about the fabric if only she knew the WICKED designer had ulterior motives ……

2. debbie

January 1, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Awww….poor bride. That is so wrong of the designer. Now your reputation is about to be f9 cause no body will necessarily point fingers at mercy but at the unprofessional designer…too bad!!!!!1

3. Dear Rettypety

January 1, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Dear Rettypety,

Kindly sue the designer. And claim N50 million naira damages. You have all the evidence of payment and conversations.

Goodluck

4. Zee

January 1, 2018 at 10:35 pm

A good name is better than silver and gold! How much did it cost for her to shred her integrity to pieces?? How much did mercy give her to make her steal a bride’s material to please a ‘celebrity’? We should learn how to treat people the same way we would want to be treated. Useless tailor????

• RIFF RAFF

January 2, 2018 at 11:39 am

I so much agree. Just see what happened to the tailor who sew Ebuka’s burgundy agbada.

5. omomo

January 1, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Wickedness…Nigerian designers and service providers should change this 2018..maybe because the feel anything goes in this environment… go and try this in saner climes your business will be kaput……..reminds me of that disappearing act scandal between david sucre the MUA and the a bride only to turn up same day in Ghana to glam up a serving governors daughter ….because you feel she will promote your brand better???..tueh ..Mercy probably knew nothing about the history of the dress ..money is more important than reputation it appears for people in Nigeria

6. Jaygirl

January 1, 2018 at 11:04 pm

Saw this post on instablog9ja and a few other people had appalling stories of how they or people they knew were treated by this so called tailor. I haven’t been to a lot of places but Naija is one is the only place I know where a service provider will ‘chook hand’ in a customer’s eye and get away with it.
    In my opinion this tailor is a thief because the fabric was provided by the bride. She should not be allowed to get away with this.

• Jaygirl

January 1, 2018 at 11:10 pm

Only places*

• Jaygirl

January 1, 2018 at 11:11 pm

Naija is one of the only places I know…*

7. Melvy

January 1, 2018 at 11:27 pm

What a way to start off the new year and celebrate a birthday. The tailor is a fraud and should be arrested… If Mercy still has any integrity left, she should take down the pictures, return the dress and apologise to the bride whose day she and her evil tailor almost ruined… All these ‘I must belong celebrities’ should be dragged back to 2017 and be forced to remain there.

• Didi

January 2, 2018 at 7:59 am

Calm down, mercy most likely didn’t know. U could buy a fabric from ur tailor innocently too. Nigerians can jump into conclusions shaaaaaaaaa.

• OLU

January 2, 2018 at 2:00 pm

MERCY IS NOT TO BE BLAME FOR THIS. IT IS THE DESIGNER THAT IS NOT HONEST AT ALL.. MAYBE MERCY IS NOT EVEN AWARE OF THE ORIGIN OF THE DRESS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

8. Daisy

January 1, 2018 at 11:28 pm

In a civilized part of the world, this will be the end of this thief of a designer! How so very heartless. I’m a pan africanist but sometimes I’m tempted to believe there’s something extremely wrong with us blacks. I mean where else can this happen? How difficult is it to give the dress to the owner when you were done? She bought the fabric and had paid fully. Just a day to her wedding too? What a murderer of a designer. And she’s made her account private! Such wickedness

• Temi Tope

January 2, 2018 at 5:17 am

YOU ARE RIGHT… WE ARE WICKED AMONG US… BUT WHY????

9. Curious

January 1, 2018 at 11:29 pm

Hmmm… bride I feel you gambled much on this matter. You still hadn’t seen or tried on your dress 3 days to the wedding but paid full balance day before the wedding? Especially for a dress being flown in from another state. Sounds quite crazy to me. Is there more to the story? Hope she at least reimbursed you or compensated you for the damage

10. Debbie

January 1, 2018 at 11:37 pm

But to be honest, wisdom really should be the way this 2018….like in the designers mind, she thought her client won’t notice that it was the same dress? or that the bride would be too busy with honey moon to call her out. I’m still recovering from knowing how that woman treated a disabled kid terribly and is still jejely getting educated in the United States…like the way people just think they can get away with stuff in this country is appalling.

11. abbie

January 1, 2018 at 11:39 pm

So did the designer think that the bride won’t later find out what really happened to her reception dress?! I mean, u gave out a bride’s dress to a celebrity just a day to her wedding and had the guts to offer her an old dress?…That’s just way too callous. Heck, even if the dress was for a naming ceremony to be held in a parlour , rikaotobyme still had no right to treat a client that way!!! She knew that the dress would be all over the internet and the bride would most likely see it but she just didn’t give a damn obviously. She shouldn’t be allowed to get away with this, it’s breach of contract!!!!!!!!! Can she be legally charged or something…gosh. I feel so sad for the bride…its so unfair. And Mercy Aigbe should react to this accusation lest she becomes entangled in this designer’s shameful act. I wish I cld send that designer a bespoke SLAP!!!! Unprofessional idiots forming designer upandan??

12. Wanni

January 1, 2018 at 11:43 pm

So guys the thing is I think that this designer wanted the dress to have more publicity cause obviously mercy wearing the gown will give her the perfect publicity that she definitely wants and needs, aunty did not think that the bride will notice that that’s her dress or material.. so good publicity cause the gown is actually really beautiful?? and bad publicity cause the bride recognised her gown??? I might be wrong sha

13. Wanni

January 1, 2018 at 11:47 pm

She wants to blow like ebuka’s tailor…??? 2018 is her year oo

14. Asa

January 2, 2018 at 12:08 am

I don’t get it ehnn, so even madam Mercy that is wearing it. Is it her measurement? Even before this story broke I knew there is something odd about the gown when I saw her posing with it. I am not a tailor but that red gown is not her body type and shape and brust is not adding up at all. She knew about it and needs to come clean too.

• Observer passing by

January 2, 2018 at 8:02 am

I thought as much. I was like how come this slayer didn’t fit this dress at her tailor’splace before the photo shoot !!!!!!! I analyzed the boob part, analyzed the back, analyzed the tummy part. Songbird g just seemed odd about the dress!!! Na God catch am.

• Tope

January 2, 2018 at 8:15 am

I said this same to a friend yesterday when she kept arguing with me that it’s not the same dress. The dress was never made for mercy. It’s so obvious.

15. memebaby

January 2, 2018 at 12:13 am

i am disgusted… with the number of lawyers the country produces every year, why cant these thieves be taken to court???!! this is terrible mahn

16. Bey

January 2, 2018 at 12:15 am

Mercy too like awoof. Trust me she didn’t pay a dime for that dress. She probably borrowed it for the shoot; it can’t even properly zip. It doesn’t have the right fit on her cos it’s not hers,
    What I’m thinking is it was borrowed for the shoot and the “diggzinner” cldnt get it in time to send it to Benin.
    What a wicked person’ a bride went through the hassle of going to get a material, sent it to you, even made full payment. Which me can’t even do except I see my dress physically and there are no issues. The bride is probably a trusting person.
    Madam diggzinner, this is pure evil. Did you seriously think the bride won’t notice. You need to give her money for her fabric, the sewing cost and damages. Will she now wear a 2nd hand dress anyone has seen to another wedding ?????
    And mercy when will you learn. Can’t these ppl be real and live according to their means? Must you slay by all means ?
    Given you may not have known the back story of the dress. But you are just too thirsty mehnnnn.

• Observer passing by

January 2, 2018 at 8:04 am

She thought mercy would send it back on time and she would tell her client stories of how she made two of the dress. How Mercy saw it and ordered her own sharp sharp, how she ( the client are wearing the same thing !!!! How she and mercy would do “who wore it better” side by side photo shoot!!!! Nna men, this is just the height

• Tope

January 2, 2018 at 8:21 am

This is like the second or third news on Mercy’s if I can remember. Celebrities should learn.

• RIFF RAFF

January 2, 2018 at 11:36 am

No be today. It’s like Mercy hardly pays for what she wears. It’s not the first time i’m hearing such accusations. One tailor called her out on SDK for not paying her after wearing her outfit all over IG and worse still, Mercy did not even tag the tailor in question.

17. Udegbunam Chukwudi

January 2, 2018 at 12:26 am

La desgraciada has gone private. SMH

18. Cocolette

January 2, 2018 at 12:37 am

This is pure witchcraft! My friend wrote about something exactly like this on Facebook but because she writes a lot of fiction I thought it was one of her stories… it was too much for me to believe, now I know better.
    I hope the bride does not let this go just like that. I hope she does not decide to ‘leave it for God’. I hope she sues this witch of a designer! It is because we let people get away with nonsense in Nigeria that’s why someone can have the guts to do this.
    The bride had better deal with her such that by June, she won’t even have a business name! My God! I have headache!

• Temi Tope

January 2, 2018 at 5:21 am

INDEED.. LIKE I HAVE SUED ARIK AIR.. WHEN THEY DAMAGED MY SUITCASE, OPENED THEM AND STOLE VALUABLE STUFF.. I WON. AND THEY PAID ME A LOT… LESSONS LEARNED ARIK AIR…: ALWAYS BE HONEST

19. Della Russel Ocloo

January 2, 2018 at 1:17 am

This is very unfortunate. I thought Rikaotobyme is a respected and honest brand. She probably did not think about the implications her action could cause her brand. This is fraudulent and the lady must go to court to demand compensation, that way, people will reorient themselves on the need for proper customer service delivery.

• Wisdom

January 2, 2018 at 7:35 am

Yes accuse the designer

20. Bunmi

January 2, 2018 at 5:40 am

I just hope it won’t end in the SM court,she needs to sue her and get damages. She should not wait for Karma.

21. Enny Heart Heart

January 2, 2018 at 5:50 am

OMG this is the absolute worst! How dare she! Madam Mercy, I believe you’re in on it too. You wanted that dress from the moment you saw it and used your cheap “celebrity status” plus the Taylor’s wicked heart to disappoint a bride on her wedding day.
    I hope karma gets you on a good day

• Wisdom

January 2, 2018 at 7:34 am

Everyone shut up. Stop talking focus on ur own problems. na wa oo. Judge and jury
      U pple can talk but not as intelligent.
      U pple want to nail her because of a nonsense dress mean while real shit are happening in the world. Pls stop

• Ajala & Foodie

January 2, 2018 at 2:55 pm

@ Wisdom, did you really write that and claim “People talk but are not as intelligent”. First, you start out by authoritatively telling people over the internet “Everyone shut up” and you really think you appear as the “wise one” here? Who exactly is going to pay you any mind with your “shut up”.

Secondly, the dress maybe “nonsense” to you but obviously to all the parties involved it was not nonsense, not to the bride, nor the designer or even the celebrity who deemed it fit to pose with said dress. So my question to you again is who is the unintelligent one here?

Lastly, o wise one, if you think the issue here is just a dress ” you want to nail her because of a nonsense dress, when real crap is happening in the world” then you may again want to have a rethink of what the true definition of wisdom and intelligence truly are. This is about poor customer service, this is about stealing, this is about treating your fellow men unfairly and thinking it is a none issue, this is the corruption we complain about on a daily basis in our society!!! So once again pray tell o wise one, who appears unintelligent here?

Note: While the evidence appear damning I am not one given to playing judge and jury without hearing both sides of the story. Secondly, I don’t care what Ms. Celebrity said or did or paid, or what ever else she is guilty of in the past. The designer is an adult, the agreement was between her and said customer. Not customer, tailor and Aigbe. In this case, Ms. Celebrity has nothing to do with it. It is the tailor that should be held accountable.

• Mz Socially Awkward.....

January 2, 2018 at 8:56 pm

@Ajala & Foodie, don’t mind the heeeeediot (or sheeeeediot as the case may be).

I actually thought the unfortunate soul was even leaning towards the kind of argument you’ve included in the final part your comment – only to read the most simpleminded justification for wrongdoing.

@wisdom, you are the perfect illustration of why a select handful are feeding fat & overflowing on you and your generation’s inheritance while you wallow in lack. Since you can’t use the minimal sense God gave you to tell dirty from right.

22. Ib

January 2, 2018 at 7:45 am

No conscience. ..after calling the bride dear in their chats..smh. Treat others as you want them to treat you,its not too hard. Wickedness in high places,this tailor abi designer will still join people to be shouting corruption in nigeria o..imagine this one being a commissioner sef..tueh

23. Baby gurl

January 2, 2018 at 9:11 am

But I don’t see why anyone would blame Mercy tho. The glorified tailor takes the cake for first goof of 2018. If the allegations are true then she has to be charged. Theft. Breach of contract. Breach of trust. Professional misconduct. Etc.

24. Ms Kunms

January 2, 2018 at 9:31 am

My own is that the dress is even ugly…lol. Just a really lovely fabric.

• xoxo

January 2, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Thank you, Kunms!! I was beginning to wonder if I was looking at a different set of pictures than everyone else. I personally think the dress is hideous, and the tailor/seamstress did the bride a favour!! The fabric alone can stand on its own, but as usual, Nigerian women think any and everything must be added.

• Lilo

January 2, 2018 at 10:55 pm

Eh ya. I guess when your car is snatched at Gunpoint, and you post the photo of the car. You will now to to church for thanksgiving because robbers did you a favor stealing your car cos it’s not a Range Rover even though the replacement car is not a Range Rover either. Se oro niyen? It’s this blame the victim mentality and inability to simple call wrong wrong that’s killing that country. Typical Nigerian will steal your lunch and then have the guts to say what lunch? Se that rice with no meat on it? WTF?

25. Truth-be-told

January 2, 2018 at 10:06 am

Can some people just read to understand for once? Do you really think Mercy was in on this mess and will still go ahead to tag the designer? Knowing that the bride will be visiting the designers page to have a go at her? Seriously? They probably have stylists who source for clothes for photo shoots. Something not uncommon among celebrities. Give her a break and let the designer respond. She obviously is to blame.

• MurderSheWrote

January 2, 2018 at 1:10 pm

Exactly what I’m saying. And some half educated hoodlums have gone to Mercy’s instagram page to disgrace their forefathers. A lot of people are quick to be stupid. Kai. Common sense is really uncommon. Scarce commodity.

• Lilo

January 2, 2018 at 2:34 pm

On one hand Mercy might not be in in this mess. However in the other hand, self-professed slay mamas will do anything to floss for the gram. I like Mercy however she tends to exude olojukokoro vibes. You know those kind of girls in high school that will sleep with their friends brother that just returned from Jand just for a primark top or jeans??

26. Barr.

January 2, 2018 at 10:55 am

Dear bride, please don’t let this go without a good fight (a legal one to be precise). Don’t listen to the self righteous ppl that will tell you “let it go, God knows best”. Issa lie, lessons, judgement and forgiveness go hand in hand but its one after the other. First teach her a solid life lesson so she doesn’t repeat same to another person, then let a judge decide her fate and then God is free to forgive her afterall God “prunes” the children He loves to avoid future disasters from falling on them. You will be doing her a great favor by punishing her dear…SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD!!!!!!!!!! But hey,it’s your call still.

27. Princess

January 2, 2018 at 11:34 am

The designer told the bride that the dress was stolen by the delivery guy Abi! So the question is how did a stolen dress end up on Mercy’s body. If I was Mercy I would put out a statement that I bought this dress legitimately off the tailor and didn’t know the history behind it. Because if there is a lawsuit Mercy is entangled in it, and her silence and leaving the picture on her page means…. I don’t give a f**k!

28. Lilo

January 2, 2018 at 2:40 pm

I am not on anyone’s side here. But what I would have loved here as a headline is action. Not internet shaming. Seriously until we start seeing headlines like “Tailor arrested for breach of bridal dress contract” or ” tailor ordered by court to pay pride 200k in damages for failure to deliver ” or ” Xyz catering loses 20k instagram followers due to poor customer service” ….etc, these unscrupulous service providers in Nigeria won’t learn.

• tunmi

January 2, 2018 at 2:47 pm

This too

29. Deb

January 3, 2018 at 12:16 am

She did exactly same to my friend. She is a cheap girl and if you take a very beautiful fabric to her you won’t get that fabric again. When my friend got her dress it was totally different from the fabric we gave her then wahala started she hasn’t returned her cloth or money and if you see her she be correct slay queen

30. Eniola

January 3, 2018 at 1:33 pm

this is so wicked and unprofessional,.pls sue d stupid designer,. at least she should have refunded part of the money,.off all people to disappoint,. a BRIDE?