Music

Starboy Ting! Wizkid Features in Hunger Magazine | See Photos

BellaNaija.com

BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos

Pop superstar Ayodeji Balogun popularly known as Wizkid granted an interview in the latest issue of US based Hunger Magazine.

The Starboy Records boss & Sony Music/RCA act in his interview explained that inasmuch as his aim is to make music for the world, he is however very much satisfied with his current African fanbase.

The afrobeats star also insisted that he is not trying to live like the legendary Fela Anikulapo-Kuti although he idolizes him.

Read excerpts from the interview below:

On being labeled the face of Afrobeats: I’m not really seeing myself as the one champion of the movement. I’m just contributing my own little part. Keep the movement moving, and take it there, you know? I’d say we make afro-pop. I don’t just make afrobeats… I make music. I draw inspiration from all over. From dancehall reggae, afrobeat, American music as well. Whatever I listen to, I draw inspiration from.

On the lofty expectations from his music on the international scene: The aim is not really to cross over. I just want to make good music for the world. It’s really not in my mind to cross over to America. I have my own fan base, which is Africa. And I just want to keep feeding that fan base and hope it grows.

On the similarities between himself and the legendary Fela Anikulapo-Kuti: Every artist has that one person that inspired them, or a group of artists that inspired them. Fela happens to be a very big inspiration to my music, Bob Marley as well. So I’m just here spreading good vibes. I’m not trying to live like Fela or do what he has done. I just appreciate everything he did when he was alive and I am here to create my own legacy.

See more photos and B.T.S video below:

BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos BellaNaija - Starboy Ting! Wizkid gets featured on Hunger Magazine | See Photos

Photography: Charlie Cummings

Styled by: Theo White (in looks by Liam Hodged, Astrid Andersen & Blood Brother)

1. tola

June 16, 2017 at 9:07 am

Hunger magazine, what a name.

• hmmm

June 16, 2017 at 9:23 am

NA wa o, must u beef? why u be bad belle like this?

2. Baby gurl

June 16, 2017 at 10:55 am

The original STARBOY. Every other starboy is counterfeit!!! Love you Wizzy baby. The star of Africa.

3. John Doe

June 16, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Na breast remain now. Wizzy u be my guy forever, but you’re looking more like a tomboy streetwear blogger in these photos.

4. Seriously

June 16, 2017 at 2:32 pm

This hairstyle/color does not suit him at all. It makes him look funny and dry(maybe too much weed).

5. A-nony

June 16, 2017 at 2:55 pm

This guy used to be really really fiiinnneeeee!!!! Who sucked his blood?!!!!

6. Abi

June 16, 2017 at 6:20 pm

He now looks like the dance hall artist that he now sounds like.

7. Tobi

June 16, 2017 at 7:55 pm

I don’t know him personally but I’m super proud of this guys achievements so far.

8. WORD

June 16, 2017 at 10:10 pm

BABY BOY FOR LIFE, NIGERIAN PHARELL LOL….and these guys work so hard always travelling and touring, the life may be glamorous but it takes hard work, never really sleeping through all these most of them loose weight. The bigger you are, the more work you put in to stay there, you literally work harder and get more bookinhs

9. lil phobia

June 17, 2017 at 4:01 am

baba NLA u look cute and fine but don’t try to hear wat enemies are sayin about let’s them use any colour to paint u we all knew DAT u are d rave of every moments may be they don’t know by god grace they wouldn’t knw may god continue to bless in all aspects

10. awe david

June 18, 2017 at 3:43 am

this guy is amazing, the other day I was watching a recent interview I was really delighted the way he marshalled his points. At times those people in the West might think we in African are not well informed about events. Starboy was able to tell them that a lot of people use the internet and are well abreast of events worldwide.