Saturday Vanguard is reporting that about 200 students may have been expelled by the authorities of Covenant University, Cannanland, Ota, Ogun State, recently for what was described as “disregard of paramount core values.” Some of the affected students gave account of what happened recently and pleaded with the school authorities to tamper justice with mercy in order to save their future.

According to investigations, about 126 were expelled for not attending the ‘departure service’, meant to sign off from the school after the end of the Semester and Matriculation of students on 30th November, 2012. Five other students were thrown out for smoking while an unconfirmed source said additional 60 got the same fate for violating other rules bordering on the University’s core values. A few others were given four weeks suspension for failure to sign the head count that was conducted a couple of weeks earlier.

In a letter of expulsion signed by the Registrar, Ntia Ubong, which was made available to Saturday Vanguard, it stated that the affected students contravened Chapter 1, section 30, page 40 of the 2010-2014 Student Handbook.

One of the affected students gave their account of what happened to Saturday Vanguard.

“On November 30, the last day of the semester, preceding our December break, there was also a Matriculation for the 100 level students; in fact some students had their last semester exams on that day, some of them finished around 3:00pm while the matriculation started around 8am. Some students retired to their rooms to relax while some engaged in some other activities jubilating the end of the semester.

“Some also got drinks from the matriculating students. Even as these were going on, some students who finished around 3pm retired to their halls. By 5pm, they announced that we should get prepared for the ‘Departure service’ which was to start by 8pm. Some students were already seeing their parents off while some of us were just trying to relax to get off the stress of the exams.

“Most of us hadn’t gotten through the tiredness of the sleepless nights of the exams; so, some us stayed back in our rooms. The departure service is usually a day before we go home and it is usually presided over by the Chancellor. Before the commencement of the service, they used to lock up the main doors of the halls so as to prevent cases of theft. I was not bothered since there were a lot of us in the hall. Some minutes past 8pm, they switched off the light and all of us in the hall went into our rooms. Because of the darkness and the cold, I slept off immediately.”

“The persistent knocks on the door woke me up and I realised that they had come to search for people who had not come to service. Before I realised what was going on, I found myself with other students numbering about 30. They took down our names and counted us to make sure that no one was omitted. They said the Chancellor was at the service and we refused to come. I heard them talking about other halls and they asked us to wait. I didn’t take it seriously because I never believed in my wildest imagination that we would be expelled. We were later asked to go to our various halls.

“Some of those who went into hiding were lucky as they were not found. Shortly, those who went for the service returned and told us there was poor attendance at the Chapel and how students were diving in through the windows, scampering for seats. In fact, one narrated to us how the Chancellor jumped through the window to vent his anger on some students who had jumped in.”

Another student gave his account thus:

“I couldn’t go to the service because, I was not feeling well which was as a result of the stress of the exams we had just finished. After a while, I managed to go but I heard that they started driving people back around 7:30pm while the service was to start around 8pm. I was surprised because the rule was that you’ve got to be seated 15minutes to the service. Again, it was never made compulsory, but they tried to get students out of the halls to prevent cases of theft. So, because I was not feeling well, I went back to my room because I needed to rest for a while.

“I thought it was a joke when they said we are in for expulsion because we failed to come for departure service. I have never done anything contrary to the school laws. I have never faced any panel before and neither did I have any unpleasant case in my file. I never thought it was real until letters were handed to me the following morning.”

“By 6am, they announced the names of those who were caught in halls and colleges. Usually after the departure service, one can sign out from there and go but because it ended late and no one could travel, students had to wait till the following morning. But the hall officer told those of us whose names were written down that if we leave, we should be considered gone from the University forever. That gave us an insight into what was likely to come as punishment. By 7:45am, we were called once again to go downstairs for our letters. Those who collected theirs before mine were crying and I wondered what the punishment could be until I read the letter stating I was expelled from the university.”

Another student who found his way to the Chapel also told Saturday Vanguard that while the Chancellor was being driven past, he noticed that students were loitering at about the time they were supposed to be seated at the chapel. He said that this apparently infuriated him and he alighted from his car and chased students to the chapel with knocks.

I saw him, he alighted from his car and chased students to the chapel; I quickly found my way to the hall. Not quite long after, I saw students jumping in through the windows. It was a big commotion. Even the chancellor was going after those who jumped into the chapel. Later, he addressed the students saying he was very disappointed by the behaviour that the students were not seated 15 minutes before the service.

Another account had it that while the Education Secretary, Prof. Aize Obayan was addressing the students, the students were murmuring, then the Chancellor immediately took to the microphone and said: “if I hear the voice of any student, the curse of the Lord shall fall upon that one.” The chapel immediately went dead silent.

The source said further that the Chancellor later directed that those students who did not come to the service would be purged out saying they did not belong to the school and prayed for the students in the hall.

Some of the parents of the affected students who spoke to Saturday Vanguard said that the expulsion was unacceptable, and was not commensurate with the offence deemed to have been committed. They urged the school authorities to rescind its decision adding that the future of the students is at stake.

The school authority has however not made any comment on the issue.

98 Comments on 200 Students Expelled from Covenant University for not Attending Church Service & Violating School Rules
  • Ms Catwalq December 29, 2012 at 8:40 am

Wait, are these college students or secondary school students? Plus, even if it is a christian university, so non-christians cannot attend? Would they expel a Muslim or Eckist for not participating?
    I marvel…
    And the school official having to resort to curses to command silence. Clearly, has no stage presence or the respect of the students…
    SMH

• Ada di ora December 29, 2012 at 11:46 am

Please! Brigham Young University in Utah, in the US is a Mormon university and students there are not supposed to fornicate and can get expelled if they find out too!! No be only Naija! When you go to a school, you play by the rules, if you dont like it, go to another school whose rules you find acceptable!

• oosemasselle December 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm

yes sir thats right i love a school that plays by its set rules thats the only way nigeria can get better

• Tracy December 29, 2012 at 4:10 pm

That’s right Ada . You nailed it.

• Simya December 30, 2012 at 10:35 am

I completely agree! If you don’t agree with their rules, go to another school

• Jumoke pele January 1, 2013 at 11:34 pm

It is a gud thing 2abide by d rules and regulations given in a school but d panel would av temper justice with mercy on dis students cos i can imagine aw some of this student parents struggle hard 2mk sure dt their children wipe away their tears, oh wat a pity (aje wo igbo) it is well

• oluchi December 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Ms Catwalq, i believe every student admitted into the university had time to go through the student handbook and accepted the terms and condition. They were not forced into the school… if the rules does not suit them, there are other options outside.

• benedicta December 30, 2012 at 8:24 am

@oluchi,@tracy,and all the other people that said the school is right should all chop cow shit, nonsense and wicked people, are his own children perfect.shior

• Ngowzey December 30, 2012 at 9:59 am

I tire o…this is arrant nonsense

• Bossman4matic December 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

Well, I’m nt a C.U student but nt suprised neither I’m I shocked bout this. This punishment might be harsh but the ugly truth is that this school has laid down rules and aside dat, they hv like a kinda culture which shud be taking serious like all kiinds of church related and I’m sure the students are aware of . But I just hope the school will re-look at there decision and tamper justice.

• brittany December 29, 2012 at 9:02 am

this man should get a life with his yeye school…

• Tee December 29, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Glorified Secondary School if you ask me…..

• Dimbo Atiya December 29, 2012 at 9:24 am

Nonsense, if they were asked to go for Koko concert now they wont complain about being tired from exams. I don’t see anything wrong with this, if the students had signed an undertaking on their admission into the university and broke the law, then the school has every right to punish them accordingly. However, there is always a room for leniency.

• Karonwi December 29, 2012 at 11:04 am

No one is praising the students for being absent at the service. The punishment is jst way more than the offence naa, haba! They are university students. You don’t go around chasing, knocking nd cursing ‘adults’ in a setting like that.
      Personally, I think they(authority) took it to the extreme!

• Ada di ora December 29, 2012 at 11:49 am

I completely agree!! The rules are there for a reason! When I was in undergrad in the states, smoking weed was illegal in my dorm, if you got caught, you could get in trouble, suspension, and some students still did. Those who got caught, had to deal with the consequences. I’ve no idea why grown youths/young adults and their parents are shouting! This is the problem with Nigeria! There are rules for a reason, if you dont like it, then go elsewhere!!

Are they the 1st students that have to take finals! They know the drill, its all excuses.

• MissBrown December 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Talk about extremism. Please, how is smoking weed compared with missing out on church service? Do you want to tell me that you go to church every sunday and any other day that there is a church service. Its just like saying that because sharia law doesnt permit the muslims to drink alcohol in public, then chopping of limbs or death by stoning if one is found out drinking alcohol in public is justified.

• Iris December 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Note that you said the students in your school were suspended not expelled (assuming smoking weed is being equated with missing a service). Expulsion is serious…it’ll probably be difficult for them to get into other schools. For some of them who’ll apply to schools that don’t want to know the reason for expulsion but just see that they were expelled, their lives as they know it may have ended. In the spirit of the Christianity we preach, is that mercy? I think it was extreme sha but you’re entitled to your opinion. I want to assume the handbook specifically threatened expulsion if you missed the service and didn’t simply say it was against school regulations.

• Bimbo December 30, 2012 at 7:31 am

I hope your kids turn out to be exactly how you want them to be….is Covenant University a respectable higher institution? Going to University is not just about learning, it’s also a time to figure out yourself…a time to grow…how can you send your child to a boarding school then send them to another ‘Glorified Secondary School’? And you expect them to come out to be independent??? The bottom line is the punishment was way to severe for the ‘CRIME’ that was committed….BULLCRAP!!!!

• adenike! December 29, 2012 at 9:42 am

“Chased the students to the chapel with knocks”. “if I hear the voice of any student, the curse of the Lord shall fall upon that one.”
    Now that’s one hell of a glorified secondary school. I understand the fact that rules are rules – but these students are in a higher institution for Jesus’ sake,their parents pay through their butts to send them to that school – you don’t expel them anyhow for trivial offences like ‘they didn’t attend a service’. What sort of a draconian man of God is Bishop Oyedepo. Acting like the Tsars of Russia.
    I’ll pay such huge sums on my kid(s) and you’ll have them expelled for something this ridiculous – hmm,you never see crase o Bishop.

• Tracy December 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Well thn why are these adults not in unilag where they are allowed to move freely and try aristos?

• riri A December 29, 2012 at 9:43 am

DIMBO ATIYA dont make comments when you dont know how these students manage life in this horrible school…get facts before u post silly comments!!!!

• Idak December 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Are they forced to attend this “horrible school”?

• S.A December 29, 2012 at 9:58 am

I have always been confused by manner in which private universities choose to train students. In my opinion the time in university is an opportunity to figure out who you really are. Away from other influences. to learn about yourself and what parts of your character you need to work on. when private universities started cropping up with all the rules and regulations that stifle an ADULT’S freedom i was sure it was all going to be a disaster. but then i have freinds that have attained degrees from private universities and they seem stable enough. they are gettin on with their lives and contributing well to the societies they find themselves in. so perhaps i was wrong.
    on the topic of this expulsion though, i say it is bullfeaces. these are people’s lives. it is not secondary level where one can easily change school and sweep it under the carpet. if this goes ahead, it will stick and then what. over a measly ceremony that really has nothing to do with the students in question. tut tut tut . . .

• Idak December 29, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I feel your point. What is the point in forcing a student to attend church service on friday afternoon and same student hitches a ride to club in Lagos on same friday night to club and spends the weekend in a guy’s flat in lagos before returning to attend another forced church service on Sunday morning?

• Me December 29, 2012 at 10:03 am

Advanced secondary school. Mschew!!!

• dipo gbindin December 29, 2012 at 10:09 am

People have failed to realise dat dis dude oyedepo is more concerned about private jets than the future of these kids. If christianity actually supports destroying the future of innocent students over rubbish then I’m happy not to be a christian. The annoying thing is that parents will still pack their poor children to the school next session in the name its a christian school and they’ll still get expelled. But the fact is, convenant students are worse dan unilag and igbinedion students put together, if only you knew.

• Dokubo December 29, 2012 at 10:12 am

This punishment is not in accordance to the rules oth the school as stated in the schools constitution (handbook) therefor this is very inappropriate

• Coded Guy December 29, 2012 at 10:13 am

the Universities handbook can be. Downloaded from this link http://covenantuniversity.edu.ng/layout/set/print/content/download/4654/34935/file/StudentHandbook20102014.pdf . Page 128:”Any student caught in the ha of resifence during any general. Assembly shall be issued. A letter of warning…” .

• oyinkan December 31, 2012 at 8:18 am

Thanks for the info!!! I attended covenant university and can say for sure that they didnt always stick to their punishments as obtained in the handbook. Several punishments were dished out based on David Oyedepo’s level of anger. I believe that the people managing the university have no clue what they are doing and believe they can create a perfect world where everyone is void of mistakes. These students are human, not to talk of being young and they should be allowed to sometimes mess up…..at least give them a second chance. Imagine a student breaking the rule of chapel attendance for the first time and being expelled….common!!!!that’s rather extreme.

• DMIS December 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

I wish all Nigeria universities would emulate this. Students in Nigeria tertiary institution are highly indiscipline and unserious. I recommend that all educationist and parents should support this applaudable and courageous act in order to save our educational system and the Nigerian child from gross misconduct and indiscipline. Ministry of Education and NUC take note

• Karonwi December 29, 2012 at 11:09 am

I hope you are done with school! Oh well, if you are not, your kids will surely go to some tertiary institution in future. Need I say more?

• MissBrown December 29, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Are you for real?

• Demian December 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

I dnt see anytim wrong wat d school’s decision

• Karonwi December 29, 2012 at 11:10 am

• Nkan be December 29, 2012 at 10:40 am

Whatever happened to punishment or even suspension…but expulsion?…I don’t think that’s right..If all the teachers in that school can vouch that they’ve never violated any school rules or even other rules in their lives before then they can do whatever they like,if not,they should sort this issue out with whoever is responsible.

• Ada di ora December 29, 2012 at 11:52 am

Even if they gave them punishment, knowing Nigerians, they and their parents would still complain! Many people believe because of money, they are above the law! Many Nigerians will rather pay money than to see their child held behind a year when they arent performing well, or to get them into a job that they arent qualified for. This is one of the major issues with our society!

• Ada di ora December 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

In addition, in the US, certain schools (historically Black) universities, do not let men/women in each other’s dorm rooms after a certain time. I didnt go to one of those schools, and it’d have been silly for me to go there, and get in trouble for that, and cry wolf! Those rules are there, and once a person decides to go to any school, you accept the rules that have been established, regardless of the rules at OTHER SCHOOLS!!!
    What use would suspension have done? How do we know some of the students havent done this before in the past? Where does one draw the line! Its this mentality that holds the society back! Step up and be adults! Face the consequences when you take actions in life! Thats how the world works!

• bankole December 30, 2012 at 6:13 am

you are a communist!!!

• J December 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Biko plix, what nonsense are you saying?

• daeni December 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

If only Jesus Christ were a VC, would he kill dreams?. I think not. Sad. so where do these kids continue from?

• ola December 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm

i doesn’t know what to say to this issues..more news and gist here at http://www.gistyinka.com

• Barbz December 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm

The punishment is too much for the kind of offense that was committed! In the first place, this is suposd 2 be a tertiary institution why re the students treated like dey re in high school?? This
    School is just useless

• Temitope Adewoye December 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I quite agree with @Dimbo, before you get into most private christian schools there’s an undertaking you have to sign, I attended a private christian school and the truth is sometimes students can be unruly, the other students that complied and went for the service they also wrote exams that day how come they still made it to the service? Although the punishment meted out on the student is too the extreme let’s face the fact the students were playing pranks that day and unfortunately it wasn’t their day they were caught!

• Andrew December 29, 2012 at 12:58 pm

WTF!!! Not attending Church services is now Punishable by explusion. Come on Mr G.O & Chancellor this is not right. Give room for Students to Chose whether to worship with the School Chapel and also other churches too to have their Chapel too. This is a Christian Institution so let it not be a Do or Die thing.

• Tracy December 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm

They made that choice to worship in the school chapel the moment they applied to the school. Not only tat, the had the right to decline admission to the university but instead, the accepted. These foolish kids would not ave missed wizkid concert. They deserve the expulsion . Hope it serves as a warming to other spoilt brat in that school.

• moi December 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm

tracy? why are you so bitter.. were u denied admission into the school? eiyah. take it easy, biko. Go and drink coke.

• B.W. Georgewill Esq December 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm

While I strongly believe that decency&orderliness should be maintained by students in any institution of learning they find themselves&failure to so do should be sanctioned. I do not think the school authority is right on its approach to this issue. Firstly,it failed to mete out the punishment as prescribed by the school handbook,secondly,the students were not even heard,let alone fairly heard before they were unjustly punished. Every action therefore taken by the school authority is a nullity. It is my recommendation,that if the Chancellor lacks a good temper and patience,he should be relieved of his job. This is a Christian university for God ‘s sake.

• Mma December 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Wow. But back in the days when you attending such universities you knew the expectations.

• timi December 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

This is infringing on their fundamental human rights! I am beginning to have second thoughts on this university.

• just me December 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm

this school just remained me of my secondary school Days,
    sorry guys but you choose this school yourselves so goodluck

• Daisy December 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm

After this punishment, other students will learn. I was offered the choice of covenant or Madonna universities after secondary school, I didn’t accept because I couldn’t live like that. Let us all be frank, we know they are too strict. As Dimbo said, they probably wouldn’t have been too tired for Koko Concert.

• uloma December 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm

you are wrong.. the other students will not learn. not this way. Instead they will come to service only for fear of being expelled. God will not accept such “worship”… In my opinion the “man of God” acted in anger. Yeah… comments say they got what they signed up for.. but im sure this wasnt the first time people missed service. and the article quotes a student saying it had never been compulsory. I believe the G.O was pissed because the turn out was very poor. In the end, expulsion is a big thing o! its their parents I pity.

• Floxy December 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Oh pls d punishment too severe jor what????k wht about all d large amount of money dey have been paying as sch fees nd hw hw far some of dem hv gone no b say dem steal or kill abeg dey shuld park well exams can b really exhausting u knw free dis kids a little 4 all i care dat sch is an advanced secondary sch nonsense see his head he wants to turn every body to his church member msheew

• Tracy December 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Money is not everything. Stop trying to use money to nullify rules. This mentality is why Nigerians bring their stupid lawlessness to the UK and USA. The fact that you pay millions in tuition does not grant you immunity when it comes to the school s core values and rules

• Timma December 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

The expulsion is just too much.Covenant Secondary(university)school!Students too should obey school rules,chikena!

• Bee December 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I hear say they were tired from exams. rubbish! Rules are rules! If you don’t want to be forced to go to church, then why the hell are you in Covenant Uni?
    Not that I agree with the rules in that school, most of them are garbage. Too little learning and too much emphasis on what they think is ‘training’. I still don’t understand why people send their kids to a school with zero international ratings

• divea December 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I understand that one has to be held responsible for his or her actions but the punishment meted out to these students is too harsh… Even if there was a signed agreement on these schools, the punishment ‘expulsion’ is too much joor. In fact, the vice chancellor should mellow down and as for all those clamoring that the punishment is justified should always try to put themselves in their shoes and know that nobody is above mistakes. In fact even in the workplace, you still find people who flout rules… abeg make the skul free them small

• DocDeola December 29, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’m sure most of the peeps writing have bunked at least a day, during their uni lives, let alone a church service.
    You can punish/discipline, first and foremost by example…the way in which the VC was described as acting, if true, is almost as if he had an argument with his wife/girlfriend/mother in law prior to the service at hand. He lost control and expulsion was thus over reaction.
    Discipline is good, but according to the law, when people say lack of discipline is killing Nigeria, I don’t think that’s the case, it’s lawlessness and not treating one another as we would like to be treated.
    It reminds me of my parents disciplining me, for my own good of course! But abeg, if you hear stories of their wild school days…mehn, some of the VC’s school mates need to write in the newspaper about his school days.

• Sarah December 29, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Covenant University is my alma mater. And the Chancellor on numerous occasions called it a Church Varsity. You have to be churchy. You know what you signed up for. You conform to the rules and standards, graduate and get on with your life. How hard is that? The only problem is that there are times you might not know exactly what can get you into big trouble. My friend almost got a year suspension for not signing attendance at night.
    My point is they got what they signed up for. We can only be outraged. Simple solution – don’t attend Covenant University.

• bowale December 29, 2012 at 6:24 pm

am not supporting the students they have to be punished but not to be expelled even God do forgives. that is becoming SHARIA LAW

• Idak December 29, 2012 at 6:25 pm

All these external laws have had no impact on the internal values of the students in this and similar schools. While the students can’t cry after signing up to attend a non-secular university, i wonder if the school itself is not worried that despite all these externally imposed laws the students are no better than students from other schools,infact in some instances they are actually worse.

• Idak December 29, 2012 at 6:44 pm

This is an even more serious case than that being discussed.
    Can this be proven? If yes, then in saner climes the lisence of such a school should be in doubt by now. How do you justify such an alleged act of manipulation and control? Even as a Christian i pray that the statement above is not true as it is not Christ-like in any form or shape.

• what December 29, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Yes the rules are harsh………….but that is what you get , for attending such a school….before going into any school you have to read about them and understand their rules….dnt like, dont go……..its like telling UKBA that because you pay thousands of pounds you are allowed to tamper with your work permit and they shouldnt deport you…..yimu…

• blossom December 29, 2012 at 8:39 pm

how can a University rule book say one thing and the uni authorities does another thing. If the rule book states that a warning should be given before anything then excuse me this is common sense that even a street mumu will know to give the warning first and then expulsion as the next course of action. Besides yall talkin about fornication and wizkid concert etc, question is whether the punishment is commensurate to offence? Even in the wstern world or educational system, a warning will most likely suffice before an expulsion! I just wish our state/federal universities were safe and equipped enuf, most kids that go to these private unis if you ask never even want to go there because they know its like another boarding house, but most have gone cause their parents have made that decision for them!

• Zizi December 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm

“Coded Guy” actually took the time to post a link to the student handbook which says that expulsion is a punishment for missing a general assembly that MAY BE ISSUED IF THE ACT BECOMES HABITUAL. Sentiments aside, if the facts above are true, the school authorities actually violated their own rules by not showing that the act has been habitual for the students. People are saying Nigeria is lawless because people don’t follow rules but did the school follow its own rules?
    And the argument that the students got what they deserved because they would have gone for the koko concert and wizkid’s as well, just get the bbm “huh” face. Even if that is true (which you have no evidence of), you are basically saying the school is right to expel students for not attending a church service because they would have attended another event if they had the opportunity. If you don’t see the absurdity of that argument, then I have no further comments.

• KNACKSON December 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm

so they decided that banning cell phones isn’t enough and they want to add immediate expulsion even when the school handbook says you have to be issued a warning first?

they want to lead with no proper example?

one word “TYRANY”

• Floxy December 29, 2012 at 9:49 pm

@tracy i dnt actually mean d large sch fee dey pay shuld mk dem misbehave all am saying is dey take d two into consideration as in d money nd tym wasted or r dey going to refund the fees hell no for christ sake some parent suffer to get dat money are dey going to allow all dat go down d drain cos of ordinary little kekere offence abeg datz wht i call wickedness in high places period

• larakingz December 29, 2012 at 10:00 pm

with due respect but what would Oyedepo do if he was a president. His autocratic moves are becoming unbecoming. He acts as he likes and it aint fair. Becaus they didnt come for what? knocks chasing who? wouldnt want to talk much cos you said you are a man of God but remember Eli , Samson and co in the Bible got stripped cos of their actions. kai all the money those parents have spent paying school fees and then because of one little insignificant thing you expel them.? kilode. Well you students too, since you all signed your fate with an autocratic school you all should have gone nah and passed out infront of him and then he will slap you awake shior

• Soraya December 29, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Why the fuss??? Did these students not read the rules and regulations of the university when they first signed on??? A bit hard to sympathise with them. That said, I wonder if the university is even opened to muslim students??? Is this not discriminatory if it is not???

• Maya December 29, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Omo I wan laf, mk dem come bowen na d whole school dem go park,chapel nlon nlon, expulsion 4 wetin, sm ppl are just talking rubbish abt wizkid/koko concert, we are humans, private uni students are worse, sm1 wz saying d man said b a churchy, when u commot skul, shey e dey show 4 all of una body,RR,LL,club diz club dt,ya’ll sayin they signed up 4 it, do u think most of us wanted to go to private skuls, sm ppl go just dey talk bla bla, yh fine they broke d law,but what happned to Mercy, as a christian skul, dtz nt dem being strict, they are not moulding lives,a lot of dem will b furstrated, then evil thoughts will creep in,idle minds,diz act itself is an offence. God should help us o cz I jst dey watch my mouth cz God say touch not my annoited, d person wey talk sey na wetin all uni spz to dey do dpmn abi wetin b ur name, na him pikin go bad pass, or u urself, yrs to come ur pikin fit dey list too, den u will knw how it feels, u dnt just talk, u think ,filter ur words den talk

• Ngozi December 30, 2012 at 12:05 am

I find the approach the University has taken towards these students rather saddening but to be fair, these students should have followed the University’s rules and regulations unconditionally. The truth is that when you are a member of an institution, you are expected to follow every single rule to the letter. Such would obviously have been the condition to which you were granted admission to the University. It is a shame that these students have had to learn the hard way.

• TheLearningCraft December 30, 2012 at 1:44 am

It is quite disappointing to see how some people condescend to understanding expulsion from school as phenomena that is just simple. The adverse effects on a students future outweigh the positive. It is the business of schools to pass on education the best way possible in face of challenges. Being expelled should be a rare occurrence! Just because one has powers doesn’t mean it should be meted out sporadically. Even if you know what you signed up for going into the school, that does not mean that your future can be toiled with by a spontaneous brew of expulsion. An Educator must keep dreams alive not kill them, hence students must be helped by way of giving rooms for learning from mistakes made not thrown out! It was once said that let him that has no sin cast the first stone. http://thelearningcraft.blogspot.com/2012/12/covenant-university-expels-about-126.html?m=1

• hansel praise December 30, 2012 at 1:46 am

they knew the rules before entering the school.so they should not complain

• Dayo December 30, 2012 at 3:21 am

Forget all this nonsense. The key issues is this, if students cannot obey simple school rules and regulations, they would definitely come out breaking societies laws and regulation. SIMPLE. We really need to start imbibing DISCIPLINE into this young generation who would be the future leaders of tomorrow, if they cannot as much as obey rules and reg, they will definitely break the law when the come out of school

• Debo December 30, 2012 at 3:42 am

Let me get this straight. The school that is clearly breaking its own rules (Pg 128- University Handbook) is punishing its student for breaking the rules.

Oh. Ok. Long live double standards & hypocrisy. Let me not start with the absurdity of a school that mandates & equates church attendance with morality.

• jyde December 30, 2012 at 4:38 am

If the students comply with the rules and worship pope. sorry big bisop,will they grow up and own private jets in the future?

Una neva see anything.
    Like say church go feed the starving millions

• Bukola December 30, 2012 at 7:16 am

A lot of comments here are sentimental, I am very sure a lot of us here will take a different position if it were to be other religion. Chapter 1 part 1 subsection 1 paragraph 1 of Nigeria constitution says. If a law is inconsistent with the provision of nigeria constitution , the. Nigeria constitution shall prevail and the law shall to the extent of its inconsistence be void. Nigeria constitution guarantee freedom of religion, worship and peaceful assembly. If I enter the school as a christian and became a muslim the school cannot still expel me

• Otunba Damilola December 30, 2012 at 10:27 am

I am a christian and one of the followers of Bishop David Oyedepo,also,I am a trained teacher.I hav taught within and outside Nigeria,I want to say at this juncture that Ada Odi Ora is totally wrong. Nigeria and Nigerians in University are disciplined. Even,in public Universities,students still go to fellowship and even during exams. But,look at a situation when one is tired,exams,matriculation and other things might be responsible. You dont force people to serve God. Is our Bishop a born again from birth? Has he or any teacher there taken to all instructions from God the father? Children should taught in love and not in such a harsh manner. This is nothing but cruel wickedness,inhumanity of man to manand therefore not acceptable under any law. I therefore, encourage the affected students and their parents to handle it not anyway than legal- go to court. Private Universities should not be like this slur…simple!

• atutupoyoyo December 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

@otunba, if u are truly a so called man of God then u will not vomit the nonsense u just did……and u truly believe they were expelled because they missed only one service? the victims will always look for something to say to make them appear innocent……if u follow the Bishop as u say then u will know that he has also preached messages on God,s grace which we all need…..

• moi December 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm

All of you running your mouths about how these students deserve to be expelled, if it were your own kids ;nobody will hear word o.. but now its easy to talk. please take a seat abeg. And then some of you are justifying it by the rules in the hand book. Actually the punishment for such is in the handbook and no it is not expulsion. It is a warning letter. People and their double standards! its not like the kids were caught smoking or are cult members. They missed a single service, how does that prove that they cant be good citizens in the society???? please get over yourselves jare!

• offiah Edith ijeoma December 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Bible said 4 give nd 4get winners G.O if u sin and ask God 4 4giveness he wil 4give u right so why is it 2 had 4 u 2 4give ur fellow human beings ur sees face 2 face G.O do u ever preach abt 4giveness in ur church give dem a second chance nd u dont need 2 act like dat becos ur members are lukin unto u. 4 instance assume is ur daughter or your son is in dat skul afta rightin his or her exam durin exmas period nd dey came back frm d semester break jst 2 tel u dat dey have been suspended nd if is u wat wil u do

• baby gurlz December 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Let me ask a question, so is this christianity? Manipulation and control? Na wa o! What is a university? To force to becoming who ur not? This is the problem we have in this country! Judgmental and controling people! Anyway, its because the regular universities rnt up to standard, that’s why people choose to send their kids here, other wise, all this rubbish power we are giving common human beings wudnt happen!

• Sparkle December 30, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Pls, all of you saying they deserved it- will you bcos your child or children did this, they deserved to be expelled??? You’ll just tell them: you did the wrong thing but i’m still ready to pay 250k (or watever amount they pay,not sure)for the next 4yrs? Wen talking, pls let’s put ourselves in the person’s shoes, they did wat was not right yes agreed but if we say we will burn a snake according to its length, we might burn a house. Like someone wrote here said, they knew d rules before entering d skool, yes i agree but was d punishments stated there? Why should it be easy for them to expel those students after collecting such amounts of money as school fees from them? Do they av conscience at all? A round peg can never be put in a square hole.

• tayoor December 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Did u read d story of 2 nigerian students in d US who where to b deported for working outside d school? Break d rule and face d consequences. They were not forced to accept d admission. Choices are made . Pls mind what u say about d man of God

• atutupoyoyo December 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm

@baby gurlze &sparkle ur comments are so immature its amazing…….its ple like u who have no values…..the school is a christian sch and they run it based on the values they think its proper….the rules are spelt out and u are meant to read them and agree before you accept admission…..so ur talk of manipulation is hogwash…..christianity has never been about manipulation and control…..every sch has its regulations and the reason we as a country nigeria has never moved 4ward is become rules are never enforced…..am sure if u have ever travelled abroad u will know that in some countries i.e the UK the police does not hear “oga i beg, if u disobey traffic law u get a ticket…….so if u think cos its a christian sch then they shld allow ple just do away with enforcing rules then u shld have ur values examined………they knew the rules b4 accepting admission so they have no excuse…….and u sparkle who think the reason they were expel is trivial, till we as a nation begin to instil values in children that in whatever u commit to do you have to play by the rules of the game then we cannot move forward as a nation…….lets erase that naija mentality of anything goes……

• OYIN December 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

Please go and read the hand book posted by coded guy!!!! YES the students broke the rule by not attending service but they were only supposed to get warning letters and not expulsion…..haba!!

• Thelma December 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm

B***shit school

• steve December 30, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Just forget these pple, they re far from the christianity they profess. The pharezeees and saduceees in Jesus time are better off. Am highly disappointed in the authority of the school. Its high time the federal govt step in.

• hauwa December 30, 2012 at 11:34 pm

WHY SHOULD YOU EXPELL? AT LEAST SUSPEND NOW! WHAT EXAMPLE ARE YOU SETTING? yes some say they deserved it since they decided to go to the school. but expulsion???? that is just too extreme! they should not have to go to service in fear. it should be something done from the heart. like some said they knew they were going to a christian school but please expulsion is EXTREME! Bishop forgive! you claim to be a christian yet you expel like that! these students are caged and once they graduate most are so overwhelmed by the freedom, they become wild and dont know how to cope in society. some manage while others fall. i have seen it happen. please lets not treat students like animals. treating them like sec schl students in university or like people in prison. expelling for every little thing. GUYS if you dont like the School rules dont go or dont send your children there.

• cynthia December 31, 2012 at 4:19 am

what does going to church have to do with getting a good grade and getting a degree. first of all the rule is useless becos this are grow pple I don’t see y the school should be in their personal life. the school job is to teach them what the need to know to get a good grade and then is up to the student to show up to class at the end of semester u get ur grade and if u don’t do well that will be u and whoever that pays for ur tuition. this shit can only happen in naija becos if this was in US this kids would suit their ass. stupid pple let see how perfect their kids are I bet their kids will be the kind that skipping class to go be with their uncles

• MissBonnie December 31, 2012 at 9:48 am

hahahahhahaha.. you people are cracking me up. lol.. its the first time that it has happened. There are rules, If you not obey them. They chuck you out. its that simple. I’m sure if you check the history of those who got expelled they weren’t first time offenders. The first set of Covenant University Students graduated in 2006. A lot of people have survived you know. I’m one of them and yes it was HELL !!! Half of the crap I went through , I dont even remember it anymore. Go there , read your books, obey their rules and get out.

• MissBonnie December 31, 2012 at 9:49 am

* is it the first time it has happened?

• Ard February 28, 2013 at 11:24 am

DITTO!

• Mz Ify December 31, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Sum comments here are overrated!sum of u are sayin they knew d rules of the schls n yet broke dem,d punishments for d laws aren’t stated well in the handbook,For Christ sakes d so cald panel dnt follow d handbooks..some of the students r dere cos they dnt av a choice,with d poor educatnal systems,cultism n poor security in our schlz,parents r left wv no choice dn send dir kids to schls were they’l av peace of mind..buh dese chancellors run dir schls like a jail,was dt d way they went to dir own schls?please temper justice wv mercy.

• Sheila January 6, 2013 at 7:25 pm

hmmmmmmmmn i no fit shout sef ….. this is sheer madness. i was thinking of going there but i just had a change of mind. is this really a university or my high school? mtchewwwwwwww Abel hen this is rubbish.shikenan

• Pice Klyn February 15, 2013 at 9:14 am

Every law has got its lenience, even LORD does has his mercies soft. Its not the case of praising the involved studs, no, even after the said exams, some will go feasting, not on the case of the matriculating studs. and well wishing co-studs, but these choose to go to their hall rooms to rest. Okay, what if they are caught stealing? Isn’t that a dent on the school’s name? May the school authority view this from the angle of the mercies of the LORD, He forgives times over unless in death.

• super_fly_gurl June 18, 2013 at 11:22 am

na wa oooo…..on top my own school!lol.see comments.okay,the gist is they’ve been called back and they weren’t even up to 100.and some fools are running their mouth.
    if ur father does not have money to send u to a private university…y run ur mouth?stay solo.know ur angle not come on a blog and start hating on the school…yeah,it’s a glorified secondary school but even if smtimes we complain we still are proud of our school..have u heard it’s the best private uni in nigeria now(2013) and 1 of the top 10 universities in nigeria overall….GO CU..I’M PROUD OF U!

• I rep Bowen June 22, 2014 at 1:03 am

Maya I lyke ur post jare if u come Bowen Na all of us u go pack I also attend a private uni nd @ least our rules nd punishment re nt dis outrageous I even thank God dey dint admit me to cu y expel 200 student jst cos dey dint go to chapel of which dey ave tangible reasons for.