Contour Tutorial - BellaNaiaj - April2013Ever wondered how you could contour without looking like you’re a mannequin?

Well, so have I. So,

I found this video on contouring on Bellesa Africa‘s Youtube channel. It basically shows how to get a great summer contour to get a really defined face.

However, before you watch the video and try it out, there are some facts you should know.

For a better understanding of the concept, contouring is just like shading or adding depth to your face. You contour the parts you want to look hollow, like the lower parts of your cheekbones. The highlight does the opposite of the contour. It makes parts of the face appear convex (protruded), like the bridge of your nose.The contour changes the curvature of the face and adds dimension to give the face a slimmer or more chiseled look.

• The highlighter is the opposite of your contour shade and provides more options when it comes to selecting one. For a natural highlighter you should pick a semi-matte or luminescent highlighter and it should be lighter than your skin tone.
  • How to choose the right shade for you? As a general rule of thumb, you want the contour shade to be darker than your actual skin tone. A lot of people like to use bronzers as contour, but this would only make the skin look warmer not deeper or like it has been shadowed.
  • If you are dark skin toned, deep ebony or ‘black’ skinned, stop or reduce the amount of highlight & contour you use. Excessive use could leave you with a discolored effect on your face.
  • On the question of where you should contour, it really depends on your face. One thing you should remember is you shouldn’t contour places that are already very defined or strong. See the diagram below for a better understanding of contour & highlight placement.
Face Chart

Face Chart

As much as those are the basic things you should know about contouring & highlighting, this video shows you one out of a lot of techniques individuals have personalized to get a contoured face.

P.S: Don’t be scared by the initial amount of the makeup, you may want to use a smaller quantity.

Don’t forget to share any tips you may have on contouring and highlighting with us.

Credit: www.Givegoodface.com

17 Comments on BN Beauty: Get the Perfect Face! What You Need to Know About Contouring & Highlighting
  • Hurperyermie August 30, 2013 at 9:02 am

issorait

• Cynthia August 30, 2013 at 9:07 am

Woooow, very artistic. Thanks BN for the tips, would try it when my acne are all gone, don’t want to clog my pores and irritate my skin.

• Yemisi August 30, 2013 at 9:33 am

Nice post, but H&C aint for a everyday makeup application.

misykona.com

• Ready August 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

Ahn ahn! Kilode? Gallons of war paint and aggressive blending. There has to be a better way to do this contouring business.

• Nunu milk August 30, 2013 at 11:36 am

LMAOOOO @ gallons

• zsa zsa August 31, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I don’t mean to knock out nigerian make up artistes but this over load of foundation is quite common with them.
      I have always had problems getting the right foundation, either the color was off or it was way too heavy….MAC especially gave me a headache. When shopping for my bridal make up, the lady at the lancome counter solved my problems…when i told her i was getting married in Nigeria she also considered the humidity. Lancome gave me a fresh light look without looking overdone, i loved it so i bought the foundation and all. Fast forward to wedding day, my dear friend did my makeup….i decided to take a quick look at the mirror to check out the progress….OH MY LORD!!! My face was coated with layers and layers of foundation…i was so stunned i had to wash my face so she could start over. At the end i pretty much did the foundation myself…she did the rest of the makeup.
      I would like to see makeup tutorials with less foundation use…maybe for an everyday look and not glam occasions only. As for the highlighting and contouring…..the model didn’t even need it.

• Wale August 30, 2013 at 11:58 am

Too much layers for me, not practical for daily wear maybe for special occasions. But good to know.

• Ima August 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Quite informative. good luck with your business. thanks Bella

• xoxo August 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

In my opinion, i think the writer of this post shouldn’t
    have used this you tube video. Haba!! this is MUA gone wrong!! this
    shade of the foundation doesn’t even match the model’s face, and
    the layers of foundation is just too much. In this Naija heat,
    everything will literally melt off your face before you get to
    where you are going. She should have use another youtube video.
    There a 100s of you tubers with dark skin or light skin who do
    contouring the right way and even use products available in the
    Nigerian market such as – Sleek contouring Kit, which i must say is
    awesome.

• lmao August 30, 2013 at 4:08 pm

You are soo right, sleek contouring kit is the best in this country, and it’s cheap, it’s in powdery form.

• Wale August 30, 2013 at 4:46 pm

A beg which one is sleek contouring again? Where I fit get am?

• R2bees Rock! love the Nigga songs August 30, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Ladies,leave ur face the way God created it…He made no miistake..What will happen when all the layers of makeup are gone? Will the special one still recognise you? I attend a burial ceremony recently,and girls were busy applying makeup than mourning!…I luv makeup too,but in moderation.May God help us.

• ooooooooo August 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

lol

• huum August 30, 2013 at 9:19 pm

So does this fasle advertising keeps a real man when he
    sees the real face unmasked in the morning?. Superficial.!! Stop
    advertising an unrealistic hope. Beauty within is better than the
    one outside . This is nothing but a bunch of face clogging ,
    pimples creation production.

• Sonia August 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm

This is wwwaaaayyyy too much gunk on the face, that will cause clogging and break outs… Just way too much…

• tracey August 31, 2013 at 3:29 am

yawn*…no need to preach here please…apply the tip and move on or dont bothercommenting……..ps;that youtube video didnt do it for me sorry,its not a proper tutorial for h &c

• Eve82 September 1, 2013 at 9:28 am

Don’t just try to hug anyone wearing white…you are O.Y.O :)