If You Could Change the World, What Would You Do?

If you could change the world, what would you do? I have heard people give answers like the following:

I would start a foundation that will eradicate child labor, provide homes for street kids and ensure every child gets quality education.

I would change the way politics is done in Nigeria. I would make it true democracy: government by the people and for the people.

I would change Nollywood. I would raise the bar, make great movies that will be nominated for Oscar awards.”

I would put Nigeria in the Science Hall of Fame. I would invent something revolutionary enough to gain the attention of the whole world.

I would write amazing fiction like Stephen King, J. K. Rowling and Dan Brown. Books that will have cult-like following worldwide.

I would change the way we live, do things and treat others. There is enough in the world to go round. I will make sure that the rich don’t keep getting rich off the poor.

All these answers inspire. Each answer is borne out of a powerful dream: a dream of who the answerer wants to become.

And me? If I could change the world, what would I do? I would help people think for themselves, make their own choices and live the lives they truly want.

Until recently, it was just a dream. A fantasy.

And that’s where most of us stop. We know what to do to change the world; we know how to go about doing it. But we just don’t do it; we stop at the dream part.

We live our entire lives as aspiring presidents, aspiring movie producers, aspiring artists, aspiring authors, aspiring human right activists, aspiring world renowned scientists and aspiring thought leaders. We look at those who have become what we aspire to become, and think that they were lucky. We look at the professionals, and attribute their success to luck. Goodluck Jonathan was lucky to be deputy governor at the right time, then lucky again to be picked as deputy president at the right time, and finally, lucky to be from South-South Nigeria.

We could keep ascribing other people’s success to luck or we could go create our own luck. If President Jonathan hadn’t join a political party and hadn’t put himself forward for political positions, no amount of luck would have made him a president.

The people who lived their dreams were those who took small consistent steps, and built up to the colossal success they became. The aspiring artist that spends all his off-work hours writing and recording new songs. The aspiring human right activist that keeps squeezing out time for volunteer activities. The aspiring author that writes till mid-night every day. These are the ones that make it, they keep putting themselves in luck’s path.

After successfully growing my four-year old blog from 200 daily views to about 10,000 daily views in just 6 months this year, I realized that what makes the difference is consistent small efforts. The best advice in the world is useless if you don’t act on it. Big shots are only small shots that kept on shooting. Success is always just a step away, but if don’t keep taking new steps you’ll never meet it.

I began taking steps on doing what I would do if could change the world, because I can change the world. I can help people think for themselves; I can help people make their own choices and live the life they truly want. I am fortunate to have a thinking mind; thinking is its default mode. I could think for hours non-stop without having a headache, one of the good side-effects of writing computer programs.

Now, I write daily, sharing my thoughts and igniting several others in people’s minds. I write no less than 30 articles per month, original articles. At first, it was extremely difficult. I already have a tasking day job and a growing part-time biz. I hardly sleep more than 5 hours a day. And now I have to write an article a day, with some articles take more than a day to put together. But I gave it a try. I told myself that I won’t be hard on myself if I fail, just that I will keep trying. I will make it a daily goal to write an article a day regardless of my success on the previous day.

I began spending my spare time thinking up articles and writing them. I would stand up in the middle of the night just to pen down an idea. Rather than sing in the bathroom, I think up new articles. I kept writing daily: in between meals, before sleeping, early in the morning, after work and while stuck in traffic. It’s immense work, but I have become better at it. And the feedback I get from my readers are overwhelming.

I am already living my dream, doing what I would do if I could change the world. And if I don’t succeed in changing the world, I know that I have changed my own world. I have become the man of my dreams.

What about you?

Photo Creditinnovatephoto.co.za
Michael Olafusi is an MS Excel consultant, a personal finance expert and a tech geek. He blogs at www.olafusimichael.com

35 Comments on If You Could Change the World, What Would You Do?
  • smashingM November 14, 2013 at 9:12 am

If i could change the world….there will be no boundary, no language barrier, no religious differences. Above all, there will be one culture (way of doing things).

• Michael Olafusi November 14, 2013 at 9:34 am

…you would make the world perfect. The world needs more people like you.

• chydee November 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

If there are no boundaries, then there shouldn’t be one culture. Everyone shouldn’t be made to do things the same way.

• Michael Olafusi November 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hmm, that’s also right.

• Jo! November 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Gbam!

• lucy tracy November 14, 2013 at 9:37 am

if i could change the world… i will wipe out corruption and eradicate poverty.

• Michael Olafusi November 14, 2013 at 10:55 am

2 thumbs up! I hope you’re working on it, even if in a very small way.

• naana November 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

i will flush out CORRUPTION.
    cos at times its so heartbreaking when the hear the amounts of money that goes down the drain with nothing to show for.
    and the poor getting poorer whiles the rich gets richer.
    there’s nothing wrong when the rich gets richer but the gap between the rich and the poor needs to be filled.

• Michael Olafusi November 14, 2013 at 10:57 am

I can feel the passion behind your words. You’re very right!

• Vanessa November 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

If I could change the world,i would do this and do that. It is useless to say what you can do to change the world. Start now. Act on those thoughts. Then, you are already changing the world.

• Michael Olafusi November 14, 2013 at 10:59 am

Very true. But putting it in words, written or spoken, is also part of starting.

• her November 14, 2013 at 10:03 am

If I could change the world I would have world peace…. there would be NO more wars

• Michael Olafusi November 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

The world really needs that! Peace.

• Wale November 14, 2013 at 10:10 am

Let us say if I could change the ‘Nigerian World’, I will line up all politicians against a wall starting with one at the villa and have them shot. We need a fresh beginning with visionary leaders that will work for the people.

• OF November 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Lol Wale. You just had to make Michael Olafusi stop responding to each comment.

• laide November 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

lmaooooooo! you sha had to pursue the guy!

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Lol. When I remembered school politics — SUG, ASUU and
      even class rep politics — I think your list is very incomplete.
      The truth is our leaders come from among us. If we don’t change
      individually, no change will happen by killing all the ones bold
      enough to go into politics.

• Newbie January 4, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Lol very measured and diplomatic response. Bros, I don’t blame you. Who knows who is patrolling all these internet blogs.

• L.C November 14, 2013 at 10:47 am

If I could change the world, I would love to wipe out all forms of bigotry and discrimination and encourage tolerance and world peace. I would also love to eradicate poverty and help orphans. Most importantly, I would love to preach the gospel of Christ’s kingdom and win souls for Christ Jesus.

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm

That’s a noble goal. I hope you’ve started working on it,
      because you can change the world.

• Yaw November 14, 2013 at 10:52 am

I wouldn’t even comment about changing the world cuz I haven’t even changed myself. Look around you and you will know that there a lot of things you need change about you.

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:42 pm

One of my favorite song lyrics is — If you’re gonna start
      somewhere, why not here; if you’re gonna start someday, why not
      now. Starting is what matters most, not how you start.

• Debby November 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

If I could change the world, I will ensure a free education up till tertiary level for ALL. I cherish education so much and it’s so sad to know that Nigeria can actually do this at no cost to the nation’s pocket.

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Hi Debby. Though I doubt the at no cost to the nation part,
      I see the big truth in the need you want to meet. Education is a
      right, we shouldn’t be proud of ourselves as a nation or even
      celebrate Independence day until Education is made accessible and
      free to every child.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian November 14, 2013 at 11:20 am

You could google the lyrics to Emeli Sande’s “Imagine”. I think she puts it best.

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:48 pm

+1 The world can be one

• Tess November 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Really inspiring article Michael! So many truths inside. Thank you.

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Thank you too, Tess.

• shirley November 14, 2013 at 4:09 pm

if i could change the world, there would be a great flush on self perception. i mean we all need a change in mindset. that’s where life’s born. out of the abundance of the hearth the mouth speaketh. change in our mindset would change the world

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Yeah, change starts from within.

• ethel November 14, 2013 at 9:10 pm

If i could change d world,i wl rise up nd empower d women esp d widows nd d less priviledged..mk dem understnd de can also make vry positive impacts everywre de go…

• Michael Olafusi November 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm

2 thumbs up, Ethel! There’s so much value locked up within
      them.

• frances November 14, 2013 at 11:28 pm

If I could change the world,I’ll start by changing the mediocrity thoughts we av about ourslvs.
    We r better than we think and capable of more than we know.
    I’d love to change the limitations humans set for themselves.
    Thanks 4dis article,twas inspiring.
    I snooped at ur blog too,awesome stuff right there.

• Adeleke November 15, 2013 at 2:37 pm

As cool as it seems, change is not simple as we all make it sound.

An easier and more honest approach would be to look deep within and ask yourself what you need to correct about your humble self to become a better person and positively impact your immediate environment for the overall good of mankind.

Change doesn’t start by mere wishing or hoping, it starts by living your life for the good of yourself, humanity and the environment at large.

• tobee November 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Wow! Inspirition @ its peak! Thnks fr ds invaluable piece! Yaw,shirley nd frances nailed it! Dey stated wat we rilly nid to achieve individually.