The Entitlement Mentality

During the ‘Occupy Nigeria’ campaign, I saw a placard which I found initially interesting, but which I disagree with now. It was a placard that threatened, “One day, the Poor will have nothing left to eat but the Rich!”

At the time I thought the rich being referred to were the corrupt politicians who have looted and continue to loot the legacy of Nigerians, alive and unborn. But as I thought about it in more detail, I realized the placard didn’t specify which rich people they meant. It appeared all rich people were easy pickings, it didn’t matter whether they got their wealth through hardwork or through deceit. Somehow the message was: if you are rich, you are or will soon become a target for the poor to attack.

In recent times, I have been reading stories which seem to confirm how much some people who consider themselves poor, will happily attack others who appear ‘better’ than them. The rising number of kidnapping cases in the country is an example. When caught, these criminals, who are often university graduates, blame the government and the society for their crime. They don’t blame it on their greed and laziness, instead they choose to direct their unjustified anger at a helpless society.

I blame this on an entitlement mentality that many people have about life. It is not only seen in the young graduate who believes he deserves to get a job just because he has a certificate, it is also seen in the relatives who think just because they are family members they deserve to be supported by their more successful relatives.

While we agree that it is a noble thing for those who are rich to help those who are not, we must remember that it is their prerogative to do so or not. They should not be threatened, attacked or seen as targets of crime when for reasons known to them, they choose not to help as expected.

I don’t write this because I am rich or because I don’t know what it means to be poor. Far from it! I come from a very, very humble background. Infact we were so poor that at the age of five, I knew we were poor! And I don’t think I have ‘arrived’ yet, my bank account reminds me of that daily.

However, I have refused to tie my destiny to the whims and caprices of a rich relative somewhere or the government. I know that with hardwork and determination I too can become comfortable enough to take care of myself and others. I know many people though who still feel that others ‘owe’ them something, just because they are more successful. And I have learnt some lessons from their sad and unproductive lives:

People with entitlement mentality are usually ungrateful; because these people feel entitled to whatever support they are receiving, they never really appreciate the sacrifices made for them. They often waste the resources spent on them and in the case of a loan, may refuse to pay back. Their reason? They believe they deserved it, so you didn’t do them any favours.

They are lazy and proud: These people do not believe in days of ‘humble beginnings.’ They are usually dreamers and want to make it rich quick. Don’t dare suggest to them any humble job or trade as a starting point, they will be quick to tell you that it is beneath them! And for those who claim to be religious, they might quip, “my God is a rich God”, happily forgetting that that same God allowed His own son to be born in a manger and work as a carpenter.

They are greedy and may become criminals: Because these people have ‘big eyes and long throat’ like we say in Nigeria, and are too lazy and proud, they are likely to engage in criminal activities. And yes some might get away with crime, but there is always a day of reckoning. And when that day comes, they of course blame everyone else, even the devil, for their behaviour.

They never take responsibility for their behaviour: These people are very quick to play the blame-game. Their excuses are “if only my parents were rich”, “if only my uncle wasn’t so stingy”,  “if only the government did this or that”, etc. They quickly forget motivational stories of people who triumphed against all odds to become successful. They would rather live in self-pity, nursing and polishing their excuses as their trophies.

The other day I read a tragic story that showed how destructive an entitlement mentality can be. It was the story of a landslide in a town in one of the southern states of the country. According to the news, government officials had warned residents of that area to relocate a number of times, but they refused. The obvious reason for their refusal was because the government had not made alternative accommodation available. Sadly when the landslide occurred, it killed men, women and children. The survivors ran away from the area with little or nothing. They didn’t wait any longer for the government to provide accommodation, they ran away to live with relatives or friends.

Of course we can blame the government for not helping more, but I think if those people had left when they were warned, instead of waiting for government assistance, they would be alive today. I hate to sound unfeeling, but their excuses, though justifiable, did not save them or their loved ones from tragedy. The government did not suffer, but they did.

And that is the unpleasant truth about life: excuses or blame games do not spare us from unnecessary suffering. We owe it to ourselves to make or mar our lives. Our parents, relatives, government or society can only help us so far.

If you don’t make the effort, you alone and your loved ones will suffer the consequences, not the people you are blaming. If you will get rid of that entitlement mentality, and try your best at whatever you do, you too will be successful.

Photo Creditvebidoo.de

_______________________________________________________________________________
Theresa Omoronyia is a trained business analyst and has degrees in Management Science and Computer Science. She lives in Glasgow, UK with her husband and son. Theresa enjoys being with people and her passion is to help those who are hurting. Please visit her blog for inspiration and motivation athttp://thesisterskeeper.blogspot.co.uk

53 Comments on The Entitlement Mentality
  • Bisou November 29, 2013 at 11:48 am

This is exactly what I have been saying for years. It’s what is wrong with people for the Niger-Delta and a lot of Nigerians in general. You don’t want to go to school or work but you are angry at those who do. I am a south-westerner working in an IOC and I can’t tell you how many people I’ve spoken to who seem to have a problem with that. Did I ask your indigenes not to go to school when I was going? They have better scholarship opportunities and schools which are as good as those in the south-west. So why shouldn’t I get a job in an IOC if I worked for it? We need to re-orientate ourselves.

• AMY November 29, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Say what you will about people of the Niger Delta, but this. Yes, you did not prevent them from going to school and you should work wherever you wish to but the problems of the Niger Delta people should not be interpreted in such frivolous words as yours. It is much more than this and I will not start to go there. As someone from the South West, can you tell me which community in the Niger Delta you have ever visited? I bet you think your people being majority and having been in charge of things for years entitles you to work in your IOC. That is fine. The author of the article is clear with her direction and this is so true in whatever community you are from in Nigeria. We need to start letting our people know this mentality, as with so many other “mentalities” is wrong. Enlightenment is the word.

• lorenz November 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I’m from the Niger delta(Sagbama LGA), and i have issues
        with the youths of the Niger delta as well. What she’s saying is
        true. Has the derivation fomula made the Niger delta better? Yet
        they keep asking for more. It’s how efficient you are with your
        funds that matters. Many youths from the Niger Delta do not have a
        good perception on the value of money. I know this because i’ve
        lived there.

• Mz Socially Awkward... November 29, 2013 at 3:28 pm

@Bisou, you cannot bundle all the issues of the Niger-Delta in one weak contention, so please don’t do that. I agree with Amy above, don’t touch the Niger Delta with your statement up there, the root of their problems grew out of the early attitudes of the IOCs and the FG who destroyed the futures of many communities in that part of Nigeria. Wasn’t it the international pressure on Shell for instance which made them sit the heck up and start cleaning up (pun glaldy intended) their disgraceful record? It is a terrible wrong that’s affected generations of people.

And if we want to generalize, I’ll have to gently remind you that many grown-ass Lagosians don’t know a damn thing about the livelihoods or cultures of the major oil producing regions of Nigeria – I mean, some of them have never heard of the Ijaw people and assume Ibo is the official language of both Bayelsa and Rivers State. In their ignorance, I sense a lack of concern about where this oil is coming from and yet we all want to join mouth and chop the revenue together.

• imsexyandiknowit November 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I totally agree with you. A lot of Lagos peeps are so clueless! Its irritating. A lot have never even traveled out of Lagos (and no, abuja doesnt count). Sigh!

• Ib December 7, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Round of applause for Mz Socially Awkward. I couldn’t have
        said it better. This article is definitely food for
        thought

• Ken November 29, 2013 at 12:04 pm

enough said

• Meah November 29, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Steady, sister. While i admit that you are entitled to your
    opinion, i totally disagree with your views as relates to the
    government. If i pay my taxes and dues as demanded, i believe i am
    well within my rights to feel ‘entitled’ to the government when it
    comes to certain things. That Occupy Nigeria example used is a
    wrong one to butress your point because the context in which it was
    used was in direct reference to rich, corrupt Nigerians in
    government who make decisions without thinking of the ripple
    effect. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
    Government has a minimum responsibility threshold towards the
    people which it must not fall below and must be taken to task on.
    Advocating anything else in whatever guise will only fling us back
    to the state of nature described by Thomas Hobbes: short, nasty and
    bruttish. And yes, you do come across as unfeeling.

• MLK November 29, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Mrs Thersa Omoronyia takes a figurative expression brandished at protests world over out of context.You can hate everything Nigerian but that statement is made in US.#occupy us.

• Nuna November 29, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Nigerians NEED to hear this over and over again! Some people think they are entitled to everything and anything just because… Smh!

• Tosynka November 29, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Lovely one. It said all there is. The only issue is those that need to read this most would probably not do so.. *hugsandkissesfor*

• Just Saying November 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Thank you for calling a spade a spade and not a pitchfork.

A driver I employed for car hire services early this year forged my vehicle papers and used my car for a deal which backfired. In addition to this, he made away with N130,000 of my hard earned money.

When he was confronted he literally said ‘he had run several errands for me like even buying recharge cards and getting drinking water for my household and so he was entitled to my money and I had no reason whatsoever to complain about whatever he decided to do with my car’.

This was a hungry, poverty stricken young man who could not even afford to buy diapers for his children in the village prior to being engaged by me for his services.

He obviously feels that ‘there is plenty more where that came from’ but the truth of the matter is that I am seriously struggling and trying hard to eke out a living.

Entitlement mentality is R-I-F-E in Nigeria. Try advanced countries where a family sits down to eat and everyone pays for their own meal. When kids get to what is considered legal age, they work to contribute their share of rent.

I have personally reminded myself that Christ said in Mark 14:7 “For you always have the poor with you, and WHENEVER YOU WANT, you can do good for them. But you will not always have me.”

I work hard for myself every single day. If you think my blood, sweat and tears are your entitlement, you need to have a brain check.

• Roseline Chibuzor November 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Poorly thought and hastily reached conclusion. The placard you agreed with on instinct is not a broad spectrum target at the rich but a warning. A paradoxical warning that one does not with a mouth full of cake force stable bread down the throat of the hungry. It is not so difficult to see your bias and apparent lack of understanding.

Nigerians are very hard working yet the environment and socio economic conditions are worsening in spite of their efforts. The rich few in power and others connected outside are deliberately ensuring that factors remain that way to keep the poor the same way. The poor have not asked to be fed daily yet you claim they have an entitlement mentality.

• AA November 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

You misunderstood her article. She is not attacking all poor people but those who give excuses for not working hard. Like the criminals, for example.

• AREA CODE November 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Nah dear, she didn’t misunderstood anything. lets call a spade a spade. Naija can be very rough and tough!!!! wetin, the writer can only make this conclusion in countries that have their acts together and those lazy citizens are getting welfare or child support and since the only welfare and child support the once here can get is their rich family members then let them be. i for one don’t support laziness but I have been to so many countries and I rarely see employers placing so much reference on age like they do in naija kilode…..or giving you a job cause you came with the flashiest car yet not a good degree. the gap between the rich and poor in naija is as far has Lagos to south Africa there is no rich ,middle class and poor it’s just rich and poor in naija.no credit card or loans for small business owner unless you know someone or an extremely rich person is standing in for you. even with oversea certificate some still don’t get a job cause its all about who you know. the scholarship is about who you know. there is nothing like a 2-3 jobs per day cause the 1 job you have consumes the whole day….and our govts??????????longgggggg thing!! most of these people are ready to work but where is the job? people without good certificate get good jobs outside naija but once you don’t have one in naija men bathroom and toilet cleaning is what they offer. I am talking from my own view .once went to a site & one of the women working there she should be about 60 or there about and she was observing the Muslim fast so she decided to do her part of the job in the morning when she felt she was strong enough and it rained that day some how she fell and fractured her ankle and you could tell she was in so much pain cause she doesn’t have enough to go to the hospital. to and fro of the story is if she finds it difficult to get another job and have to depend on someone or give information on how to rob the rich and stingy relatives she have would you classify that has an Entitlement mentality? if you don’t know their story especially in naija don’t call them lazy. if you have it spread the wealth and don’t ask to be buried in your rubies and diamonds. ok enough said.

• MLK November 29, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Just spread the wealth.That’s the thrust of that statement.Govt policies can make poor.

• adara November 29, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Whilst I agree with Theresa and have written on our entitlement problem here: http://musingsofapoliticalmind.blogspot.com/2013/06/one-day.html. I think that the level of anger the underprivileged possess and display is excarbated by the corruption in the country and the seeming indifference of we the “middle class”. I believe that if the middle class fails to rise up (in the little ways we can by challenging friends, colleagues and family members in government and being fair in our dealings), we would be the 1st point of attack. Armed robbers won’t visit Obasanjo or Babangida, they would rob a struggling business owner. A colleague’s mum was recently kidnapped and a huge ransom was paid. Is the poor not already eating the “rich”

• intheoverseas November 29, 2013 at 5:32 pm

…”the indifference of the middle class”…. this is the gospel.

• lorenz November 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Good write up. Very blunt, but on-point. Anyone who aspires to become rich will love the rich. However , I’m dissapointed in govts around the world(including Nigeria) for the progressive tax system, and the excessive taxation on private jet owners. I believe everyone should pay his fair share(proportional taxing). How is the govt going to encourage aspiration of the youth, when it takes more than a fair share of my hard earned money, and gives it to the next man. Govt is the cause of the entitlement mentality.
    If u earn say more than N3.5m a year, u’ll appreciate what i’m trying to say, when u compute the difference btw your Net and your Gross pay.

• AA November 29, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Thank God someone is actually addressing this. We have a serious entitlement mentality issue. Example, my househelp steals from me, even though i pay her an above average salary, she works from 6:30am till 6:00pm. She does NO washing of clothes, NO cooking, NO taking care of my kids. All she has to do is clean the house. I even give her money to get her hair done and when she gets sick, I give her money to buy medication. Yet, she steals from me. I truly believe that its not the leaders who are the problem in Nigeria, its our mentality to work. We have such poor morals and we will never get ahead until we change our moral stance.

• AA November 29, 2013 at 2:04 pm

BTW, before I’m attacked, when I say “our”, “we”, its just
      a figure of speech. Am not attacking everybody. Before cyber
      bullies raise their heads…

• lorenz November 29, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Then u must live in a mansion, otherwise she does nothing.
      As the saying goes, an idle mind is the devil’s workshop. From what
      u just said, I personally think she needs to be more
      engaged.

• Chic November 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm

You need to get rid of her and find someone else that will
      teach her!

• adelegirl November 29, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Examples like these, I don’t think it’s because of an
      entitlement mentality that she’s stealing from you or people commit
      crimes. It’s just like people who say “it was the devil” that
      pushed them to do something wrong. They are just excuses with no
      justification whatsoever.

• mia November 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

come to the Niger-Delta, then you will know what it means
    to have an entitlement mentality. someone will think that he can
    walk in the middle of the road because “na we land”. they rip you
    off when you want to develop a land you bought or even renovate
    your own house. you need to see what they make the IOCs go through.
    even Shell vex leave Warri for them make them chop themselves, it’s
    disheartening. then you have cousins and nephews who call you at
    odd hours demanding for money because they heard you’re now
    working, these rascals may not even know where you work or even
    your full name, but because you’re related, they feel they have the
    right to ask you for money. it’s bad.

• Atm November 29, 2013 at 7:19 pm

You just reminded me of the perfect example. The omo oniles that will collect half the money you planned to use on building a house before you even do decking.

• rootwoo.com November 29, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Nice write up. Every nigerian needs to knw that the govt
    shld n’t decide our destiny. No rich man owe you anything either he
    stole it or made it genuinely.

• nene November 29, 2013 at 3:00 pm

our generation feels entitled. and most of them are getting lazy. it’s not only in Nigeria, however i think the situation is handled better abroad because they leave home after university and unless you have a trust fund, you are on your own.

• Lydecker November 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Theresa thanks for this article. Okay this may be an
    unpopular opinion. I believe all huma Have a basic right to clean
    food, clean water, good shelter and clothing. These are basic human
    needs and if they aren’t met, there will be problems. We live in a
    very fucked up system that predicates greed, corruption,
    unemployment, hatred, gross inequality, poverty and social
    breakdown. This wasteful system is slowly breaking down and occupy
    Nigeria is one of several evidences. We do not live in a free
    society – we are only as free as our purchasing power. Telling the
    so called entitlement guys to look for work is not going to work.
    We need to work to change the system rather than tackle the
    cause.

• Lydecker November 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Sorry for typos- I meant we need to tackle the cause not symptoms

• ozzy November 29, 2013 at 3:32 pm

thanks so much for your write up, but what are the best ways to treat such pple when they are very relatives such as bros, sisters even husbands and wives to make them up their games?

• dbaby November 29, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Dis article is so on point,Nigerians dnt like embracing the truth even wen its glaring.if any1 helps his fellow man its bcos he’s kindhearted nt bcos he owes him jack.

• ao November 29, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I disagree with the author’s position on an individual’s sense of entitlement with respect to the government. Individuals should expect their government to create an enabling environment for them to thrive and to pursue lawful endeavors. Unfortunately, this is not the case in Nigeria. Let’s face facts, successive decades of looting within government has meant that money that should have been used to develop all of Nigerian society, North, South, East, and West, has not been so used. How can one, for example, expect a prospective yam seller, to build and maintain the bridges and/or roads that they must travel upon to get their yam from farm to market? That is the role of government and not an individual. Even those that manage to do so, do so at a cost greater than what they would have expended had the government provided an enabling environment for commerce, e.g., good road network, security, consistent electricity, sewage/refuse, and potable water. Perhaps, I am being too simplistic, but my point is that the Nigerian government, for the most part, has not and is still not doing its part on behalf of its people.
    Interestingly, the culture of corruption in Nigerian government has trickled down and permeated the entire Nigerian society. The corruption at the very top is recreated many times over and in various ways on the street, within families, and in places of employment. Examples include money rituals, kidnapping, employees stealing from employers, and bribes for services that citizens are entitled to receive. And this is where I would agree somewhat with the author: there seems to be an attitude within the society that it’s okay to cheat – some call it being “fast” – or that one can take or demand from someone, that they perceive has “more” than they do and that this justifies the behavior. I have been on the receiving end of those that feel that I owe them something because they have had a “hard” life and mine has been “easy”. If they only knew …

• Roseline Chibuzor November 29, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Theresa obviously has her facts skewed and a mindset that thinks with the keyboard. Nigerians including those in the Niger-Delta are not lazy. Our people are some of the hardest working people yet our environment is frustrating. We have myriads of problems beginning with a growing population that we are not directing. Nigerians are not asking and have never asked for a welfare state. The poor woman who raised the placard simply meant: a man cannot claim to be wealthy in the midst of so much poverty. For a writer to deliberately insist that Nigerians generally speaking have an entitlement mentality is misleading and derogatory. Go to the North of Africa or the Middle East and see what happens when a single benefit is withdrawn yet an abused people put up with so much and when they put up an angry placard, Theresa now says the poor have an entitlement mentality.

• Theresa Omoronyia November 29, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Please kindly read the article again Roseline. I did not call any tribe lazy, neither did I generalize that Nigerians have an entitlement mentality. I rather referred to some people, regardless of their tribe, religion or language, who believe others ‘owe’ them. By the way, I used to think that others ‘owed’ me and I know how messed up, frustrated and limited I was.

I wrote this article to encourage us to aspire higher and not tie our failure or success to the government or other people. Many successful self-made people, did not get there by blaming others or having an entitlement mentality. They got there through hardwork, persistence and a ‘can-do’ attitude. Remember that your attitude/mindset will determine your altitude (how far you will go) in life.

• Fancy Babe November 29, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Yes, Nigerians can be very hard working… as in… Hustle till u drop. However, I must say part of why the conditions are very frustrating here is our overall work ethic! And yes, people do have an entitlement mentality to the point that they could rid u of everything u own and move on to the next or demonize u if u don’t give. Everywhere u go it is “bros or sister pls find us something” white and blue collar beggars parading the country, overcharging people and ripping people off at every opportunity. Yes, some of them are not earning enough to sustain their families to they resort to begging. Why is this? Same thing work ethics, respect in the work place, and so on. Oga cannot pay someone well enough to match the standard of living in the country and on top of that does not treat them with respect. And yes this terrible ethic is a ripple effect from what is happening with our ogas at the top. And yes in developed nations there are sorry ass losers who abuse welfare because they don’t want to work. It is that simple, they too have an entitlement mentality but we are talking of Nigerians here and how to deal with our own demons. Truth be told, we have really messed up big time on this one. Imagine if we really had a welfare system in place in this country. Na palm wine day and night for some people… and that will be the end of the story. I encourage u if you are comfortable enough to help as much as u can and don’t block the way for others.

• molarah November 29, 2013 at 6:37 pm

This writer has spoken truth – if you didn’t see that it means you either didn’t understand the article or you are part of that growing breed of Nigerians that believe any kind of evil perpetuated can be justified if one is a ‘victim’. Let’s face it – what’s wrong is wrong. No matter how terrible your government is or how long you have been marginalized, it is still unjustifiable by moral standards to resort to theft or social vices to make ends meet. Whatever happened to a good name being better than wealth and riches? Whatever happened to not wanting to live up to the Joneses and being confident to live by your means? This is just a sign of the eroding value system in our society, and its sickening. If you are underprivileged, you owe it to your good conscience and the God you serve to pursue a better live by only honorable means, and if you are exposed, enlightened, and above the poverty line, you are also bound by good conscience and godly fear to draw attention to the plight of the less privileged and do your own little bit to help them. This is not rocket science – this is simply what people with values do. Let’s not even get into justifying bad behaviour – what’s wrong is wrong.

• NNENNE November 30, 2013 at 1:16 am

This is the problem with so many Nigerians. For example, someone knowingly puts up a structure in an illegal area . When the law deals with him or her they will start accusing the rich for being callous. Some of these people will not see what the so called rich go through daily but only see them when they are enjoying. They forget that you can be poor in this generation and rich the next.

• NNENNE November 30, 2013 at 1:46 am

Am sorry but some of comments here are very irritating.
    Can someone please explain to me what crime a Nigerian returnee, who ,have never been in government committed against the poor. These people work hard night and day and when they come home to spend their vacation people are jealous. There have been stories of some of them being kidnapped.
    The era of job job entitlement is come and gone. We have to get that into their heads. The education we get is to make us think right and manage things better. It is like that in the developed world too.
    Life does not only exist in the cities but in the villages too. It does not matter where one starts. What matters is where one ends. Hustling is the name of the game. If you have to be a palm wine tapper, palm fruit cutter. farmer, brick layer to survive, please throw your university education in a safe place and do that. It can only get better.People do not always get paid their worth in starter jobs.
    IN THE CIVILIZED WORLD, GRADUATES ARE VALE CAR PACKERS AND BAR TENDERS.
    Earning an honest living is satisfying.

• NNENNE November 30, 2013 at 2:09 am

meant …VALE PARKING.

• Tess November 30, 2013 at 6:57 am

It’s valet parking, the “t” is silent when pronounced, not when spelt.

• NNENNE November 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Thanks.

• 'Mide November 30, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I thought the bible said we are anointed. Is that not entitlement? Abeg, leave me o! I have been chosen and I should claim my possession, na my thing o!

• Crown November 30, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Special thanks to the writer for this very thought provoking article. You have broken my long standing resolve not to respond to blogs/articles as i find most of them to be light on substance. Thanks for shedding the light on this present day evil. There are several relatives that I wish could read the article but I”m thinking twice before forwarding – as that would be another wicked act from a ‘rich relative’ The conclusion of the matter is this – what a man sows is what he will reap. If you sow resentment at other people’s success then…. also if you sow laziness then…

• Ropo November 30, 2013 at 8:04 pm

great write up

• Jirla November 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Great Article! More Nigerians need to hear this. Many young men are wasting their lives waiting to hit it big and quick! When the reality dawns on them it becomes some else’s fault. Even in developed countries nothing is really free. A lot of hard work goes into what they have.

• chi-e-z November 30, 2013 at 11:50 pm

bullsh#t same stupid argument republicans, oil tycoons and my racist teacher tried to say to camouflage their elitist views of themselves bullsh#t sad 2 hear this comin from a naija woman.

• Ugly Carpet December 1, 2013 at 1:14 am

I think we just need to have a balanced analysis of the issues at hand. While the writer does have a valid point , I think part of the sense of entitlement of the poor in Nigeria is fuelled by the high levels of blatant corruption here. The younger generation no longer feel the need to work hard because if govt officials some of whom are ex touts cart away all the billions and do not experience a hard days work then why should they??, its the leadership and our values that need to be repaired in this country if not we are in for a wild wild west. In those days like my mum often says you hire help or home staff and they are content with what you give them, but now even young children and adults are instructed to steal and be sharp and smart. Our dwindling values are to blame and its only going to get worse at the rate we are going.

• not prefectly perfect December 1, 2013 at 5:24 pm

the entitlement mentality is a two sided thing

• natty December 2, 2013 at 10:21 am

I didn’t finish reading the article, but I’ll say spot on !! Seriously its almost a crime to be rich in Nigeria, you visit blogs like LIB and see comments on weddings post, like why did they have to spend so much on their wedding when there are plenty of poor people and bl bla bla. Some people are too lazy to work, all they want is just hand downs from their richer relatives. An

The comment on Lagosians being clueless is on point too, I’m from the Niger Delta, and recently I had to spend almost 30 minutes trying to explain to a graduate from a Nigerian instituition how I am not igbo!! how I don’t even speak igbo!! and how port harcourt has an international airport, so I could fly directly from London to PH. To say I was irritated is an understatement.

• Ekwitosi December 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm

The only way you will understand this article is when you have less fortunate relatives that are depending on you. Some are just down on their luck and you guys work towards bringing them out of that situation. But for some there is no business or initiative that works what so ever no matter how much you pump in. No matter how much you spend they are not ready to give you account. FYI these are not loans and you are not profiting from it. So if care is not taken all of you will end up on the floor! The day you decide to step away you become that relative that is rich and stingy! Nobody wants to take responsibility of all their actions.

• The Mane captain (healthy hair & skin tips) December 2, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I think the issue is everywhere. Every culture will always have poor people who feels entitled to everything the rich has. How about nigerians in the diaspora who gets harrassed with phone calls to send money home, even though the person abroad is struggling to get by the day.it’s even worse when a close relative only calls you to demand for something just because they helped you go abroad or raised you. people need to fend for themselves rather than harrasing someone who got wealthy out of thier own hard work. I’ll rather give my money to an orphanage than to lazy relatives
    themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

• Prime babe December 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

my Ex (who never showed me any business proposal or documents to support it) felt i should have given him money to start up a and business when i didnt, the relationship started to go downhill. why exactly ? i had invested in another venture which i felt would bring in more(i’m pretty good when it comes to business). he felt as my “guy” i only needed to fork over my load of hard earned money……okay, for “love”……:)
    A friend’s sister in-law brought over her children for a weekend at her place and didnt say even thank you for anything, but instead demanded that she (a heavily pregnant lady) bring back the children to her. why? she had stayed briefly with said sister inlaw before getting married an d was supposed to have committed herself to a life of everlasting servitude .I dont have an idea of the inner workings of the Niger Delta but i know the average 18 year old expects to be provided for…….which is ok……..the only thing wrong with this mindset is that it sadly persists till they are in their 30s.
    it does have a whole lot to do with the fact that many do not have a direction or path they want to tow.