Scoop

David Oyelowo to star alongside Lupita Nyong’o in “Americanah”

BellaNaija.com

David Oyelowo & Lupita Nyong'o - BellaNaija.com 01
The adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s book “Americanah” just got more interesting.

In May, BN brought you the news that the Nigerian author confirmed that Kenyan Academy Award winning actress Lupita Nyong’o, got the film rights for her latest labour of love.

Now, Variety reports that British actor of Nigerian descent David Oyelowo will also star in the independent movie.

Oyelowo is currently making waves and getting Oscar buzz for his portrayal of Martin Luther King in “Selma“. His role in Americanah is yet to be known.

The story is centered on young Nigerian immigrants who face a lifetime of struggle while their relationship endures.

Brad Pitt‘s production company Plan B will produce the movie. There is no production date set as they are still searching a writer and director.
Photo Credit: Getty Images

1. bruno

December 16, 2014 at 7:09 am

wonderful. I hope chimaamanda will be happy with this choice.

time has really gone by .this time last year lupita nyongo was an upcoming actress and she was stealing our hearts one by one with her strong performance in 12 years a slave and killing us with her fresh red carpet looks.

2. @edDREAMZ

December 16, 2014 at 7:16 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I foresee a dope movie no doubt…..
    *GLO BRING 3G TO KONTAGORA*
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. Simmie

December 16, 2014 at 7:22 am

Finally,suitable casting!!i hope the directorial style will be more indepth and give the book a proper lease of life!

4. jboy

December 16, 2014 at 9:53 am

Wow, cnt wait for d muvi

5. Abi

December 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I hate to say this cos I loooove Lupita, but I hope she’s not playing Ifemelu in the movie, I really don’t think she’s right for that part. If they could get someone very similar to Chimamanda herself, that would be perfect because, in my fantasy world, Chimamanda would play Ifemelu.

• tunmi

December 16, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Adepero or Uzo Aduba would be better

• Ni Ne

December 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I agree with you, I also don’t see Lupita as Ifemelu neither do I see David Oyelowo as Obinze. Anyway let’s watch, if Lupita starts growing her hair (which I assume is required for the movie), then she may be playing Ifemelu….

• for laffs

December 17, 2014 at 12:53 am

You know she can wear weaves/wigs that make her hair look like a naturalista, right?