News

Bill Cosby’s Wife Speaks Out: “He is the Man You Thought You Knew”

BellaNaija.com

Bill Cosby, Camille Cosby
For the past two months, Bill Cosby who is very much a profound figure among blacks around the world, has had his name and credibility tarnished.

Several women have come out, alleging that Cosby, famous for playing Cliff Huxtable on The Cosby Show, drugged them and had his way, sexually, with them.

Bill Cosby didn’t speak on the allegations until recently. He asked the black media to be neutral and praised his wife for supporting him as more and more allegations surface.

His wife of 50 years, Camille breaks her silence, defending her husband in a statement.

I met my husband, Bill Cosby, in 1963, and we were married in 1964. The man I met, and fell in love with, and whom I continue to love, is the man you all knew through his work. He is a kind man, a generous man, a funny man, and a wonderful husband, father and friend. He is the man you thought you knew.

A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know. It is also a portrait painted by individuals and organizations whom many in the media have given a pass. There appears to be no vetting of my husband’s accusers before stories are published or aired. An accusation is published, and immediately goes viral.

We all followed the story of the article in the Rolling Stone concerning allegations of rape at the University of Virginia. The story was heart-breaking, but ultimately appears to be proved to be untrue. Many in the media were quick to link that story to stories about my husband – until that story unwound.

None of us will ever want to be in the position of attacking a victim. But the question should be asked – who is the victim?

1. sunshine

December 16, 2014 at 10:09 am

No one expects Mrs. Cosby to take a stand against her husband, but she really should not have entered this particular arena. Yes, it is possible that a number of his accusers are bold faced liars, but it is also possible that at least ONE of them is telling the truth. And for that possibility alone, I choose not to sweep this under the rug. Anyone that followed the Lance Armstrong drug scandal knows the capabilities these celebrities have of hiding behind their hero image to get away with atrocities for decades, let’s hope justice is served to whoever deserves it in this matter.

• Tza

December 16, 2014 at 1:01 pm

The same reason why everything you have also said is mere speculation until they are proven true

2. Anon

December 16, 2014 at 11:04 am

Mind controlled wife.

3. Day

December 16, 2014 at 11:36 am

I respect you, Momma!!
    Whosoever does not have a bad stain that has refused to let the linen appear clean should raise their Wine glass and clink!!!

Whether allegations are true or not, there is always a conspiracy somewhere in the Media…Even if one person is right, why choose to wait for 30 something to spill the milk??? Because Cosby has become more vocal than ever, because he has decided to let his wings come out to fly as a strong eagle, because he has decided to shame the norm that the prosperous blacks get there by chance and not hardwork…..etc…

Cosby (if you see this…) I respect you and I honor your wife more….. I do not exonerate his past but I choose not to murder his person for letting his man-weakness consume him at one point of his youthful days, which is so rampant in most men in their youthful haydays!!!

SO to other youths, who want to have a promising and prosperous Old age, the Bible does not make a mistake when He said, “Remember your God now in the days of your youth, before the evil days come, and the years draw near when you say, I have no pleasure in them””…

Yours in Sisterhood,

• Ada Nnewi

December 16, 2014 at 12:28 pm

when you have been raped, sexually assaulted or sexually molested don’t forget to buy your attacker a present…Anu Ofia!!!!!

• Irritated

December 16, 2014 at 1:27 pm

This comment is horrifying. You call serial pre-meditated rape ‘man-weakness’? You ‘do not exonerate his past but refuse to murder his person’…? Over twenty women have come forward with strikingly similar stories about this man, and all you can say is ‘well he’s a hardworking black man so please let’s not talk about this.’. Rape is not a weakness abeg. And a man being wealthy and renowned does not automatically make him incapable of rape. Conspiracy in the media kwa. Na so now. Biko let us be sensible.

• Iris

December 16, 2014 at 3:55 pm

“Even if one person is right”? Even one is one too many but I guess that means nothing to you…unless it involves you or someone you care about. Come and speak out in sisterhood then. You are not well.

• ada nnewi

December 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I can’t get over the absurdity and plain stupidity of your thoughtless comment. As a victim of sexual molestation and abuse, I can’t help but wish on you the horrors I went through, let me see if you’d ever type out such ludicrous nonsense in your life again…Anu mpama

• Vortex

December 16, 2014 at 10:27 pm

It’s okay if you think the allegations against Bill Cosby are untrue. Most of us hope so and as of now, all anyone can do is speculate because he hasn’t been found guilty.

What I find odd is how you touched on the possibility of the allegations being true, trivialised sexual abuse, excused it and then twisted the scripture in an attempt to buttress your silly point.

I don’t know you so I can’t say for sure but your comment makes one assume that your hobbies include getting drugged and raped. If those are sources of fun for you then by all means carry on and make this sort of comment when it concerns you alone not others who may have been (or are) genuinely traumatized.

• annon

December 16, 2014 at 11:46 pm

What the hell did you just say? He raped people in his youth so its okay?

• mz_daniels

December 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I choose not to murder his person for allowing man weakness consume him at a point. Are you for real? I pray your daughters all get date raped or raped in any form then you can forgive the culprits for ‘allowing man weakness consume them” Nnekwanum anya oh!

4. pepsin

December 16, 2014 at 12:34 pm

How old is she actually. If she is 50; then she meet her husband in her mothers womb in 1963 and got married to him at zero age in 1964. Stupid people

• Ada Nnewi

December 16, 2014 at 1:09 pm

SMH! Comprehension is key!!!!…The statement simply means they have been married for 50 years..

• Jay

December 17, 2014 at 2:47 pm

@pepsin, read carefully before you pass judgement (stupid people) on people, cos u have just labeled yourself with the same name u called them, sorry!!!

5. solar

December 16, 2014 at 1:10 pm

@pepsin, wife of 50 years….not she is 50 years….they got married in 1964…..

6. dimpled freak

December 16, 2014 at 1:12 pm

@ Day are u serious????? I’m still hoping his innocent and the world has just gone mad, but how can u belittle rape like this???.

I do not exonerate his past but I choose not to murder his person for letting his man-weakness consume him at one point of his youthful days, which is so rampant in most men in their youthful haydays!!! ( Bill Cosby was not a youth in the 80’s he was married with children around the age of 40)

God and heaven forbid but If he raped your sister would it be called a man’s weakness?? Or your mother or your aunty????
    I don’t like to attack people on social media but how dare you call rape a man’s weekness like it’s nothing!!! There are rape victims who read this and it’s completely disrespectful to their awful experience. Please be more sensitive. Rape is not a joke and yes women need to protect themselves and be careful always but under no circumstance does any woman deserve to be raped, don’t care if she’s a prostitute. N0 means NO!!!!

7. Onye Ara

December 16, 2014 at 1:45 pm

This was the moment when I confirmed the accusations.
    This man did all he has been accused of.
    If he was innocent, there would have been no need for all this long story.
    He would have been able to name each of this accusers and say unequivocally that he did not molest them in any shape or form or say that yes he slept with her but it was consensual.
    No need for long story.

• Iris

December 16, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Thank you! I cannot understand how people think that the “silence is golden” theory applies here. If you are truly innocent of such a heinous act you’d be furious about what people are saying about you. You would even sue them before they could file charges. This is not an accusation of infidelity or even a racist rant. RAPE. As an old, respectable, and highly respected celebrity that speaks publicly about black people needing to lift themselves up and out of stereotypes, how can you be silent on such an issue? And then when you finally open your mouth, you are sitting on your high horse talking rubbish about expecting the black media to act respectably.

8. Onye Ara

December 16, 2014 at 1:46 pm

That should not stop him from addressing the accusations and putting it to bed.
    This woman is as deluded as the alleged rapist she married.

9. NagosBigBoi

December 16, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I am assuming this is the essence of what she said. My heart goes out to her. Before people start attacking her for saying that “he did not rape anyone” certain things strike me about her statement.
    1. He is the man you thought you knew: I think that she is saying that you never really know what a person is capable of. Do not forget that this woman lived in Massachusetts or thereabouts while Cosby lived in LA and New York. We know that he was not faithful during their marriage and she may have known this (and accepted it) before all the paternity suits became public. Then the press thought they knew him, but did not really know him. As a result they were shocked when the infidelity became public.
    2. A different man has been portrayed in the media over the last two months. It is the portrait of a man I do not know: this is a wife saying that the man she loves may be capable of cheating on her, but not of rape and that she cannot wrap her mind around it. If the allegations are proven true, she may be in for a surprise. How many people who are reading this and love the person they are married to have been (or know someone who has been) surprised by what their spouse is capable of. I have.
    I think she is absolutely correct in her comment about the press viz-a-viz the U of V rape case. They are lazy and just want to sell papers or rack up the clicks. I hope someone in the more credible media organizations is investigating each of those stories to pin down where Cosby was during those rape allegations. Can it be that difficult? This was a famous man who had assistants that I am sure kept pretty good records of where he was and who he met. A person who is/was raped does not have the mindset or the resources to carry out such investigations.

• Tunmi

December 16, 2014 at 7:32 pm

In mentioning the UVA article, just because the journalists did not fully vet their source does not mean it sis not happen.

10. NagosBigBoi

December 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Finally, a more recent allegation that could be within the statutes of limitation.
    huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/16/bill-cosby-chloe-goins-sexual-assault-allegations_n_6333748.html

11. NNENNE

December 17, 2014 at 1:09 am

Knowing the great USA, why hasn’t anyone blown a whistle as to where and how he got these drugs he used to drug these women?
    Something is inconclusive about this story. Am sorry, but my logical reasoning does not get it yet.

BTW, for all the rape victims, I feel for you. Rape is a terrible thing and should not happen to anyone, men or women.
    We must also learn not to let our guards down because the world, unfortunately is made up of crazy human beings. Trust no one. Do not leave yourself in a vulnerable position with the opposite sex. Most American women failed in this area.
    Never start anything you do not want to finish.
    I would not be revising movie lines in an isolated house with a man unless we had other company. The moment I realize we are alone I would ask to leave. If you do not want to sleep with your boyfriend yet, then only meet him in public places like the library.