Scoop

“All the things you think matter now won’t even cross your mind in 5 years” – Toke Makinwa Writes a Letter to her 18-Year-Old Self for International Women’s Day

BellaNaija.com

It is International Women’s Day and women all over the world are celebrating this day in special ways.For media personality Toke Makinwa, it is a letter to ger 18-year-old self. She writes

Dear 18 year old, i bet you feel you are all grown up now but there’s still so much growing up ahead of you, stop with all the fuss, all the things you think matter now won’t even cross your mind in 5 years, that is a fact. In essence, don’t stress the little stuff. Enjoy the process, cherish the moment, cherish where you are. You are growing up so fast girl, you want to experience it all at once. In this moment, you are alive, you are indecisive but that’s ok, you don’t have to figure it all now. Breathe.

You love “Love” like the movies, you think life is one big party but no one prepares you for the twists and turns and the unpleasant situations girl, in them you’ll find what is called “Experience”. You are so talented I wish you’ll believe in yourself more, I wish you are not so scared to take chances. That little voice inside of you telling you you’ll be a star, yes that one telling you you will be great, don’t ignore it. You have got big dreams, some you don’t even know now but it won’t happen all at once. You think this phase sucks? Get ready cos life will hit below the belt. Boys are a distraction now, there’s plenty of them ahead so don’t kill yourself over that one boy. You will fall in love and think your heart will never love another; that’s a lie too. You’ll love the next even more. You have a voice, a big voice that will be heard some day stop making it about other people.

Beauty is not what the world says it is, I wish you will not change so much of the things you like about yourself, you’ll learn the hard way but you will be ok. Don’t despise your days of humble beginnings, those failed attempts at “Becoming” will keep you hungry till you get it right and even when you think you have it all figured out, be prepared for more challenges and failure. You really don’t fail, you learn and you grow. Find God early, you need him to get thru life. Friends will come and go but true ones become family, your boobs will grow bigger I promise you won’t have to stuff your bra to give you that cleavage. all will be well.

View this post on Instagram

Happy International women's day, on this special day I have decided to write to my 18 year old self so here it goes… Dear 18 year old TM, I bet you feel you are all grown up now but there's still so much growing up ahead of you, stop with all the fuss, all the things you think matter now won't even cross your mind in 5 years, that is a fact. In essence, don't stress the little stuff. Enjoy the process, cherish the moment, cherish where you are. You are growing up so fast girl, you want to experience it all at once. In this moment, you are alive, you are indecisive but that's ok, you don't have to figure it all now. Breathe. You love "Love" like the movies, you think life is one big party but no one prepares you for the twists and turns and the unpleasant situations girl, in them you'll find what is called "Experience". You are so talented I wish you'll believe in yourself more, I wish you are not so scared to take chances. That little voice inside of you telling you you'll be a star ⭐️, yes that one telling you you will be great, don't ignore it. You have got big dreams, some you don't even know now but it won't happen all at once. You think this phase sucks? Get ready cos life will hit below the belt. Boys are a distraction now, there's plenty of them ahead so don't kill yourself over that one boy. You will fall in love and think your heart will never love another; that's a lie too. You'll love the next even more. You have a voice, a big voice that will be heard some day stop making it about other people. Beauty is not what the world says it is, I wish you will not change so much of the things you like about yourself, you'll learn the hard way but you will be ok. Don't despise your days of humble beginnings, those failed attempts at "Becoming" will keep you hungry till you get it right and even when you think you have it all figured out, be prepared for more challenges and failure. You really don't fail, you learn and you grow. Find God early, you need him to get thru life. Friends will come and go but true ones become family, your boobs will grow bigger I promise you wont have to stuff your bra to give you that cleavage. all will be well.

A post shared by Toke Makinwa (@tokemakinwa) on

1. A Real Nigerian

March 8, 2017 at 7:40 pm

The Hero of Nigerian Women!! ???

What a strong, brave and beautiful woman!

• TAM

March 8, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Hero..are u for real
      What heroic thing has Toke done…..she loved a man that didnt love her back so she stayed and turned into his door mat until he chased her away .. is that your sad definition of heroic.

All Toke does is attention seeking. Any event now she turns it all about her and make a post so bloggers can post. That too is heroic..? . Smh

• Zoba

March 9, 2017 at 12:51 am

You savage???

2. Jennietobbie

March 8, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Truth is Nigerian women have found their voices and they are not looking back. So these women rising are not here for business as usual. They are defining the womanhood. Come correct or leave trash for lawma

• chima

March 9, 2017 at 8:34 am

so if he doesn’t come correct, you are now the thrash to be left for LAWMA abi?

3. Fille

March 8, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Awwn I enjoyed reading this ..

4. mimi

March 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm

that was sweet, raw and heart felt!!! i could relate to 99% of what she said……..in all God comes first and all will fall into place

• Bisola

March 9, 2017 at 9:07 am

I agree. The first advice to my 18 year old self would be to find God first. So many things in my 20s would have gone better if I had found God early. But I still thank God for my life sha.

5. Ndi best seller

March 8, 2017 at 8:29 pm

“boys are a distraction now, there’s plenty of them ahead…..”
    correction – they are plenty of them….

• The Real Oma

March 8, 2017 at 9:58 pm

You are also wrong Corrector.
      It should be “There are plenty…”
      You see how easy it is to make mistakes? Good.

• U

March 10, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Its there are not they are

6. AdaJesus

March 8, 2017 at 9:46 pm

@Ndi best seller. Mr/mrs correction fluid. U too got it wrong but there u are correcting Toke. It should be ” there are plenty of them ahead but u wrote they are plenty of them. So nne dont always be in a hurry to point a finger at someone, that could have been a stenographic error. Learn to overlook some certain things and focus on the main thing. Cheers dear.

7. EC

March 8, 2017 at 10:02 pm

If I could speak to my 18 year old self mehnnnnn. That love that you thought would end you, well it wasn’t that serious lol lol

8. NDI OLOYINBO

March 8, 2017 at 10:14 pm

NDI OLOYINBO, RECEIVE SENSE. THE CORRECT PHRASE WOULD BE ………”THERE ARE PLENTY OF THEM AHEAD”

9. Funshe

March 9, 2017 at 12:47 am

So I guess ur 18 year old self was also in Unilag.

You should write to that part too that avoid incriminating acts because it may hunt you years to come…….

I know you may feel that part of your life is hidden and 90% don’t know the real you but baby gal walls have ears! There is nothing hidden under the sun…

If lies go for 100years someday the truth will be out

• Papermoon

March 9, 2017 at 7:59 am

Why are you stuck on her past in Unilag, poor you, move on. She obviously has.

• slice

March 9, 2017 at 1:28 pm

She was 18 for godsake.

10. Hotchick

March 9, 2017 at 1:44 am

” I promise your boobs will grow bigger…. stuff your bra to give you that cleavage.” Toke Makinwa to her 18 year old self.

” I promise you will love your ” udara” boobs even more, as they won’t grow bigger, however, you’ll receive sense and not stuff your bra.” Hotchick to her 18 year old self ( personal opinion pls– you can stuff your bra if you like, I don’t -like- so I don’t stuff?).

Now, I’m remarking to myself ” Hotchick receive sense, or borrow it,” of all the things to pick up to respond to; smh!

11. Adunnie

March 22, 2017 at 11:05 am

This is really beautiful. There’s so much I wish I had done differently as a teenager. E.g I wish I never dated any of the guys I dated. I wonder what I was thinking i was such an “adult.” Mama was definitely right. I have received sense now, I just wish it came earlier.

12. Adunnie

March 22, 2017 at 11:07 am

This is really beautiful. There’s so much I wish I had done differently as a teenager. E.g I wish I never dated any of the guys I dated. I wonder why I was thinking i was such an “adult.” Mama was definitely right. I have received sense now, I just wish it came earlier.