22 Year-Old LASPOTECH Student Allegedly Beaten to Death by Boyfriend

There has been a disturbing increase in reported cases of domestic violence leading to death, especially among young couples. A recent one which resulted in the alleged murder of an undergraduate student of Lagos State Polytechnic is one that is particularly worrisome. The victim, only 22, had her whole life ahead of her but it was cut short after a fight she had with her boyfriend which led to her untimely death.

Here is the report culled from PM News:

A part-time Business Administration Student of Lagos State Polytechnic, Miss Olayinde Bournes, 22, has allegedly been beaten to death by her boyfriend, Abuchi Cyril. The incident happened Thursday at Shorinmade Street, Aguda-Ogba area of Lagos State, southwest Nigeria.

She said that on Thursday when the tragedy occurred, Abuchi invited Olayinde to his house along Shorinmade Street, to see his travel documents.

Titilayo said nobody knew what happened when the lovers were together but it is believed that they had a misunderstanding which may have led to a fight. Sources at 17, Muibi Street residence of the deceased told P.M.NEWS that after the fight with her boyfriend, the victim was rushed to G&S Hospital where she was confirmed dead before the corpse was taken to Ikeja General Hospital for autopsy.

Abuchi was immediately arrested and taken to Area ‘G’ Police Command, Ogba, for interrogation. When our correspondent visited Area ‘G’, Ogba, Friday morning, the suspect was seen writing his statement. When contacted for comment, the Area ‘G’ Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ishola Abdulahi, declined to speak on the issue, saying it was too early as investigation was going on.

Speaking with P.M.NEWS, the 55-year old father of Olayinde, Mr. Akindele Bournes, said his daughter was not a troublesome person, adding that the government must ensure that justice is done.

According to the testimony of the friend of the deceased, the boyfriend “always beat her at the slightest provocation”. This implies that this was not the first time she was maltreated by the accused.

How sad… May her soul Rest In Peace.

43 Comments on 22 Year-Old LASPOTECH Student Allegedly Beaten to Death by Boyfriend
  • arabella February 22, 2013 at 6:08 pm

when will all this stop.

• Gigi February 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm

That or when will these young girls learn to run AFTER the very first incident of abuse or violence? The other day a girl of the same age was asking dear bell whether to leave her abuser or not? Women raise your daughters to know what to condone and what to run from. What kind of young girls are proliferating our society? These girls are getting damaged at such young age and I worry about the trauma and anger that their future husbands and children will have to live with Not knowing where it all came from.This is sad. Train your children not to o back to their abusers

• Blake February 22, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Lord have mercy. As I was reading this I remembered the article that was posted a couple of days ago about “Aunty Bella: Ms. I Stayed With Him Because I Was A Virgin”. BN are there any updates on if the girl was able to get any help?

• Gigi February 22, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I feared for a minute that it might be the dear Bella abi aunty Bella chic. I still can’t believe that chic asked if she should leave a man who abuses and violates her o horribly

• Let it be…. February 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Exactly….BN please forward this link to the address the chick emailed you with…..:(.
      I feel so sad that people let themselves be used and abused like this…life has enough troubles and dangers as it is…..

• Miri February 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This is a sad case and its just a shame that most women that are in abusive relationships always believe the dude will change and that he loves them but the fact is “He is never going to change” – if you do not leave now, then one person WILL come out HURT/DEAD esp the women.
    Really, I dont understand the concept of women sticking with guys that hit them, what is that called, love? care? loyalty?
    I mean,no one is perfect but despite your short comings, you need to love yourself and have self-worth.
    Believe me someone else out there will love you more BUT you need to love yourself first.
    RIP Olayinde

• e-bukun February 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm

You know there are a number of reasons, and we can’a always blame people. I have a friend who years back started dating a guy. I didn’t know him, but I knew some of his relatives and I encouraged her relationship with him because of who i assumed he was based on his family. Then somehow he just snapped and he would hit her or lock her out. For so long she didn’t tell any of her close friends, not even me because she was afraid I wouldn’t understand. And because I didn’t know, when we all met up I would talk about how “blessed” she was, and how good his family is. When she finally told me, I could not stop blaming myself “why didn’t i see it?” I had made it harder for her to leave because of the things I kept saying.

She’s with someone else now, but it took her a while to break out. And even our relationship is not the same, because somehow at the time she needed me to suspend my bias, i didn’t.

Bottom line there’s so many reasons, pressures from people, our own fears, obsession disguised as love. We just need to be aware, and speak up when we see things are off.

• www.dprodigaldaughter.com February 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Lord have mercy and God punish any man who dares to lay his forsaken hands on a woman…….. May her soul RIP.

dprodigaldaughter.com

• x factor February 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Amen!

• Gorgeous February 22, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Na wa o. If boyfriend fit do this, wetin husband go do? Even at 15 when i started having boyfriend, dem no born boyfriend well to even insult me not to talk of beat. If the boyfriend madd???? Parents need to raise their girl children with a healthy dose of self esteem.

• chizo February 22, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I dnt c reasons y i shld be wit an animal who hits me.

• HABBA February 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

GILRS NEED TO WAKE UP!!! plz look at this beautiful girl! she should not have to die in the hands of a monster like this! plz be responsible for your lives! leave bad relationships!

• Okoh Paul February 22, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Girls dis should b a lesson to U lovers know ur guy’s attitude.RIP baby

• mulikatcardoso February 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm

According to Miss Titilayo Fagbamila, friend of the deceased girl, she always complained to her that her boyfriend, Abuchi always beat her at the slightest provocation.My questions, why she still going to a beater as a boyfriend,look now he beat her to death,i hope any women ,marry or still dateing the man, once he beat u he will always do it again and again ontill u live or u die like Titilayo.

• Leanne February 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

This is sad. God help us. Most parents are so busy chasing MONEY they have no time for their CHILDREN, who raised this monster, who raised ladies that have no self worth … God help our generation.

• Creamy_Amie February 22, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Rest in Peace Titilayo

• Don February 22, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Na real wa. She put herself in this position. It’s her family I feel sorry for. Perhaps, some other girl will learn from her story. I also feel sorry for the guy. Life as he knows it is over. Except you’re into BDSM, pain is not love.

• seemesee February 22, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Better to be alive and “alone” until you meet a “real man” than to end up like this. Violence against women is real! Report it and flee from it Fast!

• koko February 22, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Abuse continues because everyday folks show too much tolerance.You should leave at the first indication that the/she is abusive. Death or maiming is hardly ever the first incidence…..wake people. It is not a sign of love.

• Neni Stone February 22, 2013 at 10:13 pm

What is this? She was aware of the warning signs and still stayed. It’s a real pity.

nenisnaija.blogspot.com/

• whocares February 22, 2013 at 10:55 pm

its sad that she would stay with him even after the first beating yes, but I dont think victims of abuse find it easy to leave their abuser.. fear of recrimination, fear she may not find another man cos or whatever nonsense he has put in her head. it is not as simple as some of you point out.. she may even love the guy.. its a sad fact but this happens all over. little girls should be taught to recognise their strength.. they should be made to recognise their self worth so that when a man raises his hand to her she will walk away and if she is physically capable give a good beating in return (lol) and boys should be taught never to raise their hand at women.. the amount of times i have talked to men in nigeria whose first comment regarding any single aggravation has been “i will slap you” i cannot count. they seek refuge in violence. women are not respected. they are seen as gold diggers, and “hos” and property in some instances. so of course they get beat up and treated like shit. this is not just a job for parents, but society as a whole. anyways i will jump off my soapbox now..

• Leanne February 23, 2013 at 10:40 am

we sweep issues like this under the carpet, parents raise your sons to be good men and daughters to be good women too. Society need not encourage bad behaviour.

• ij February 22, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Kai its time our parents started teaching our girls about self worth, their focus should not be only on how to cook all the whole soups in the universe , they need to teach them about self worth for goodness sake, teach them about their own worthiness else they let some animal who is totally undeserving appraise their child for them.
    RIP Titi

• Leanne February 23, 2013 at 10:29 am

so true, the society focuses on marriage by a certain age etc, and not building us for the things you will face in marriage and all the other stuff argh

• Lala February 23, 2013 at 12:07 am

I happen to know the both of them personally and Abuchi isn’t a violent person on the surface…. so all of this that happened beats me.. I’m still in shock at the moment as to everything that has happened… I saw Laide the day before and she was so full of life.. May God grant her eternal rest… Until proven otherwise… Abuchi is not Guilty

• Winny February 23, 2013 at 12:23 am

Ladies please understand that it takes just a shove, a push or a slap to escalate to a full blown domestic violence. The signs are always there, observe from the very first date, the way he speaks to u, does he suggest what u eat on a date and orders, make u change ur dress because he doesn’t like it,he always wants to know who ur on the phone wit, he calls u every so often to monitor ur movements,he talks down on u,he calls u names, he keeps ur friends and family away from u, he tells u when and where u can go and do u find ur changing urself to make him happy etc. He is very controlling and in time u will resist the control and that’s when the abuse starts, please ladies leave at the first sign. It’s not love it’s about ur life and it’s ur decision not ur families and friends. Take control of ur life . DON’T BE DESPERATE.

• Ms lala February 23, 2013 at 12:38 am

THIS IS SAD..MAY HER SOUL REST IN PEACE….AS FOR THE BOYFRIEND, I WISH ARRESTING HIM WILL SOLVE THE CASE..KAAI SOMETIMES I THANK GAWD I HAVE CRAZY MALE RELATIVES THAT WILL STRANGLE A DUDE’S NECK WHO TRIES TO LAY HANDS ON ME..NO MAN IS WHAT IT LADIES. I DON;T CARE IF HE HAS MONEY, HE’S FINE, HE HAS SWAG THE MOMENT BOBO HITS U…ITS A WRAP

• kilipot February 23, 2013 at 1:21 am

hmn rest in peace is all we know how to say. rest in peace is what most of us agree on after the die has bn cast.
    to give small advice the other day to the ‘virgin’ girl..you need to see the ripping apart. the virgin girl could just be this girl, holding everything up just so she is judged mocked or condemned. and her foolish friend too, what actions did she take when she told her her bf beats her at the slightest provocation.

this quickness to RIP irritates me more day after day.
    pls let us be less judgemental of, learn to listen to (even when deep down we dont agree) care and watch out for people ( even to the ones we do not know.

kind words go a are soothing.. let us be impressionable positively.

• Dolly February 23, 2013 at 2:44 am

As *Gorgeous* said, if a boyfriend will beat, what will he do as a husband? I personally know a woman/mother beaten to death. She left behind 2 little girls. No man is worth losing your life over.

• amebo people February 23, 2013 at 7:59 am

Amebo people… Don’t talk to people if you don’t know the real fact. This Miss Titilayo can just be a set up to speak up and say thrash just to ruin this guy. Nobody knew where this girl was coming from before she reach dis guy house. See the comment. “Abuchi always beat her at the slightest provocation. (BIG LIE).we were aware Laide was just recovering from an unknown sickness, so who knows. I’ll say and keep saying it, Abuchi have been a childhood friend of mine and will always remain to be a close friend no matter what people say about him. This girl family knw this boy pass how the boy family take know the girl. Why this Titi no tell the girl parent. Abuchi we all know loves this Laide and will never do anything to hurt her. Again, this matter is between Laide and Abuchi to know what really happened. I wish you could just atleast wait for a few seconds to save your bf rather than you causing millions of severe heartbreaks. Not judging here but I believe God will Intervene. This Titilayo’s comment made this story’s headline. Wetin go happen if na her broda. People dey do person. I see this to be a spiritual thing. Abuchi is about Traveling nextweek.(Laide, you know abuchi will never hurt you). These guys have been in this relationship for almost 5yrs. People were really jealous of them. Enemies working but with God, all things are possible. Abuchi, we’re prayerful here. Love you!

• Ezinne V February 23, 2013 at 8:16 am

I left my boyfriend because he hit me twice on different occassions.he had begged the first time and I forgave him.then during that riri/brown issue,Oprah spoke on it and warnd riri and I quote ‘if he did it once he will hit u again’.it rang in my ears everytime.but I loved him.didn’t knw how to leave him,and he had promised,but little did I knw..Oprah was right.he hit me again.that ws the final straw.I made up my mind to leave.didn’t care if I still loved him

U need to knw when to walk away..and when that time comes u have to WALK AWAY.its ur safety tht is key

• cornerstone February 23, 2013 at 9:09 am

very touching.beatin a galfwend wht a mess.rest in peace dear

• Adedayo February 23, 2013 at 9:20 am

All these Boyfriends Scandals..I tire o
    Wait,Did i just read above that the MURDERER Is traveling soon? Meaning he’s released??? On what grounds???? Nigeria and Its Justice system continue to slay me…

Poor girl,May her soul rest in Peace

• ibt February 23, 2013 at 12:21 pm

When’ll al these violence eventually stop,beautiful ladies,women losing their lives to this “love” thing is getting rly pathetic and heart-breaking.what’s happening dear God!where’s the fear of God & love thy neighour quotes we used to know and have @ heart. Please come to our aid dear God,only U can help with these…May the soul of the Oppressed due to domestic violence Rest In Peace! Amen

• Timma February 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm

When I saw this,my tots went to the young lady in the Aunty Bella Column and I prayed she has the couraged to break free!We need to take a stand against domestic violence once and for all,we are treating with kids gloves while promising young ladies are cut down daily in their prime!God help us!Ladies,please,use ur head before its too late!!!RIP Olayinde

• ESIOBO JOHN February 23, 2013 at 3:31 pm

USELESS MAN,LET HIM FACE PURNISHMENT.

• Esther chioke February 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm

May her soul rest in peace mayb dats hw she want to die 2rough somebody bt guys b/careful

• Lola February 23, 2013 at 8:51 pm

D truth is dat while some ladies saw their father beat their mother and vow to run or avoid any violent relationship or marriage ,majority stay because they also saw their mother stay with their father..so pls a mother dat stayed in an abusive marriage,how wil she teach her daughter self esteem?and a boy who sees his mother stay with an abusive man also grows up thinking that how to prove his a man.

• preye February 23, 2013 at 10:28 pm

@amebo people, aw many pple in d world knows the ‘laide and abuchi’?. U knw dem, I don’t. And so wen I read stuffs like dis, I comment as I know. If u want to explain the incident, do dat peacefully and nt say silly tins to others who dnt knw dem.

• omada February 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I’m tired of all these stories abeg. I’m tired of begging girls to leave their violent partners. If you like stay there, if he kills you we’ll come and bury you. Love my ass.

• Titi Loyolade February 23, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Nigeria needs some sort of 911/Emergency response system to protect women. This is just too much…RIP

• JBOY FABULOUS February 25, 2013 at 2:19 am

Well is stile heard for me to believe she goon so soon…….she is a friend and sister to me and the guy like a brother and friend to me……each time i sleep and wake i do think why should this happen……cos they have been for so long now and doing things in common……i can only believe she is dead if i can see her body…….but this tragedy is something we should all learn from today…….and i wont u to no that ABUCHI CYRIL is Innocent and for the dead…….my her soul rest in peace???Amen

• Chinenyegift July 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Hmmmm its a pity girls beware of such guyd