A round of applause for the 100 Most Influential Africans.

New Africa Magazine recently unveiled its 2013 list of the most powerful people in Africa.

Nigeria leads the way as the country which has the highest number of influential figures, taking up a whopping 23% of the list with an incredibly wide spread over all categories, as well as dominating the business scene. Next is South Africa, taking up 22% of the list

According to press release sent out, the list is all about “the powerful, the rich, the fastest, the first” as well as “spiritual leaders, political game changers, global superstars and a slew of sporting record breakers to rival the world’s best”.

View the Nigerians who made the list.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Jim Ovia

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

Politics
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Finance Minister
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Governor CBN

To view the full list of all other Africans, click here

47 Comments on “Powerful, Rich, Record Breakers” – Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Don Jazzy, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, P-Square, Aliko Dangote make New African Magazine’s 100 Most Influential Africans List
  • jinkelele November 30, 2013 at 5:10 pm

ewo! tb joshua

• I said So December 2, 2013 at 10:17 pm

as in eh? lol! God knws best.

• kesh November 30, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Is this for most influential Nigerians or Africans? I read the title and see otherwise :)

• FJD November 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm

I taya oh!

• Hope November 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Wait, is it me or since TIME released their own, we are now seeing other Magazines venture into preparing “Influential list”? Apologies if i got it all wrong and anyway congrats to the guys that made the “list”

• Eniola November 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm

TB Joshua….God help us!

• Eniola November 30, 2013 at 5:49 pm

TB Joshua….Ewoo

• lol November 30, 2013 at 6:04 pm

LOL!! WONDERS SHALL NEVER END IN NAIJA…

• i said November 30, 2013 at 6:08 pm

heheheheh. This is laughable. So don jazzy made the list and D banj didnt? lol Psquare? Aliko, Stephen, Tb Joshua, Don jazzy, Ngozi Adiche, all in the same list? Ok oh

• nene November 30, 2013 at 9:11 pm

what has dbanj done? how is he influential. google the meaning of influential. and also look at Hope’s comment. either way, most names on this list are laughable, including don jazzy.

• deltachik December 3, 2013 at 6:32 am

Am sorry, who made this stupid list again?

• Chyke November 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

I don’t understand what Omotola is doing there. It’s like they needed just an actor and an actress. Even at that, they should have swapped Omotola for Charlize Theron. @least Charlize has great acting skills and is on a global level like Chiwetel. How many lives has P Square influenced with their wack lyrics? They don’t deserve that spot. Brymo, Darey Art Alade or even Ice Price should have been there for @least, they’re better singers than P Square. Aliko Dangote deserves it. He has provided employment to many individuals and thats something influential. Chimanda Ngozi Adichie deserves it as well. All of her novels (especially Purple Hibiscus) are inspirational. Stephen Keshi is ok. As for Sanusi Lamido, I really have my doubts.

• ammaa November 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Influential does not mean good. For example Rihannah is influential for the wrong reasons.

• Meet9jasinglesHERE November 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

who can okonjo, don jazzy and some unknown influence? not me o

• ‘Mide November 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Poor country, poor people. They steal your money, then they send you to a spiritualist to heal you for losing money. The spiritualist ministers to your needs and prepares you to be further “mugud” and sends you out to the capitalist to materaliase your world and further dispossess you. The world bank’s agent comes in and re-organizes your opportunities in life and allocates resources on the strength of how you fit in on the social scale. Then the story teller comes and tells you the poor are human too, and have a story to tell. The story teller tells you about the story of the house boy or house girl that knows how to weave or has artistic talents, but was reduced to a beggar in a single tale. All these are the stories of the world they create for us and make us participants. We get “mugud” everyday while everyone is getting theirs. Influential people ko, inventive people ni. Awon ode !

• Leah November 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm

TB Joshua!?

• Gistyinka Blog November 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm

With all theis people nigeria is still poor nation..

• Thelma November 30, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Zuriel Oduwole is such a beautiful child. I repeatedly fail to see how Omotola is influential and who/what she influences. Or maybe I just need to look up the word again.
    thelmathinks.blogspot.com

• Hope November 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Oh me! She influences me.. Definition of a go-getter baby! Done agree with what she does sometimes but im proud to say she is on my mentors. (and the only one in the entertainment segment)

• Miss Know Know November 30, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Y shud Charlize Theron b on d list n not Omotola? How many people actually know Charlize Theron in Africa? If u ask d average man who she is, I can bet my last Kobo that they wud not know her. But If u ask some1 in Uganda, SA or even my village in Imo State they wud not only tell u her name, they wud most probably mention @ least 3 movies she has featured in. Don’t forget d fact dat she is also a social critic. As 4 TB Joshua, I’m not 1 of his fans. I don’t really understand his ways, but anytime he talks, people listen. He is also well known all over Africa. As 4 Psquare, whether they sing copy copy music or even sound like bleeting goats, u can’t deny d fact that they sell out shows across Africa. That is Influence. This list is about people that r influential, game changers and not ‘most talented’.

• yeahisaidit December 1, 2013 at 5:23 am

“Bleeting goats”! thanks for making me LOL! I needed that! they really do bleet!

• Hope November 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

I dont get why people are surprised TB Joshua is on the list. Being “influential” dosent necessarily have to be a good thing or have good intentions at heart, as long as what he/she does affects people.

• AW November 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm

And that applies to 75% of the people on the list!

• Hope November 30, 2013 at 7:52 pm

To be fair, you have a point

• phelix November 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Perfect reasoning..

• Inspired by Africa November 30, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Okay, so Google tells me that the definition of Influence is:

“The capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself.”

But in the context of these lists, what exactly does “influential” refer to?
    It seems that it has more to do with just the measure of prevalence in one’s field rather than actually influencing people. I think one can be widely known but not necessarily have that translate into influence.

Not sure I get it… :|

• Changing Faces November 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Psquare…oh yes! Those guys are a force in the music industry! If you don’t like the list, write ya own…

• meeee November 30, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Miss Know know, I need a like button 4 ur comment. “influential” does not mean talented or richest… Pple on this list, I knw when they talk or sing or whatever, pple are willing to listen, that’s influence

• e-bukun December 1, 2013 at 1:07 am

The only person I’m surprised isn’t on the list is Daddy GO for RCCG. The man is perhaps the most influential Nigerian spiritual figure I know

• zamunda December 1, 2013 at 8:22 am

What of pastor Chris Oyakhilome,Bishop David Oyedepo and Pastor E.A Adeboye in religion?

• Bukky December 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

Game changers ! The New Truth!

• Modella December 1, 2013 at 9:31 am

@ Hope well said

• Felinda1 December 1, 2013 at 4:34 pm

AND what the fcuk is MOST INFKUENTIAL, they should defibe it cos me I dont understand. To me it means being a difference or impacting ones life. I know a rich african farmer in who pays for school fees for 111 kids from secondary level to 4 year US college, now thats influential. Omotola my ass

• Beautiful the Official Voltron December 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Its either good paid PR by these people or forbes is becoming too watered down with their listings. And for the lady comparing Omotola to Charlize you must be having a laugh . No offense to Omotola, but modest as she is, Chalize can and has walked into places Omotola has never walked, she will pick up the phone and ask to speak with Obama or Ban Ki moon and they will listen immediately. You read up on her and see real things not just PR stunts that she is doing and she is a real person. She can be likened to Angelina of a sort.

• wiklo December 2, 2013 at 2:06 am

@Chyke, just to let u know, recently (about a week) saw Chiwetel on the David Letterman show and when asked the question – where are u from he answered “England”, but to my disappointment he never followed up with yes the name sounds foreign becos I am of Nigerian descent (this after Letterman asked how is his name pronounced)…he never for once touched on anything naija during his almost 10minute spot on the show to promote his latest slave movie…just saying we should embrace those who embrace us…

• mama mia!!! December 2, 2013 at 7:10 am

I am still yet to understand the buzz behind Omotola not that she isn’t okay o. But, her movie choices have been horrible besides Ije. Beyonce and rihanna and the celebrity were the two last movies I saw of her before Ije and they were both as horrible as the word horrible comes. The person who talked about charlize theron is right! That’s more influential one of the first africans to break boundaries like chiwetel she does have a charity in her country she’s adopted a black son to encourage adoption in africa she is more influential. Omo t voices her opinions using the social media. But, that is not enough to make a list cause stella damascuss does same as well as Stephanie okereke. P square don’t think so, more like 2 face. T b joshua probably others besides sanusi and those mentioned above deserved to be on that list. .. the word influential just found another meaning by this list!!!

• chibuzor December 2, 2013 at 10:41 am

please read the definition of influential, its not the same as popular, Don Jazzys beats for instance influences most of the music locally in nigeria and has made statements outside as well as having formed record labels that has boosted the careers of many popular artistes including Dbanj, Wande coal , the Prince and Dr Sid, Omotola is one of the most recognizable actresses in the continent thanks partly to African magic and she has spread her wings to production , Charlize is one of the best know actors of African origin. TB joshua unfortunately has loads of influence in several african nations including the southern african countries, so he qualifies, im not a fan of any of the above mentioned particularly, just defending their inclusion

• Robinson February 7, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Thank you so much because there are some dumb people in here, because they don’t like TB Joshua in Nigeria doesn’t mean he is not influential. He is loved by other nations. Only in Nigeria that people don’t know the value of TB Joshua

• Hope December 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm

At the end of the day, we all have our own opinion.. And to be honest, there is no wrong in that.

• Praise December 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm

BN, thanks. I enjoyed the comments more than the so called
    list.

• Annonymous December 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Yes Praise, the comments made my day more than the list too. Lol

• jimihendricks December 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Trash,nonesense.Some of the people deserve to be on the most wanted list for economic crime.

• Tosin December 2, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Maybe about 30% believable. They’ve got the economic team in politics. They’ve got a B-lister for religion (sorry to make it like it’s showbiz, sorry). They’ve got some people who may be rich but sort of unknown. Whatever.

• Uc December 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

Influential has got divers meaning as I now see on the list……………. As 4 me Na comment get me Lughing hard at peoples comments

• Robinson February 7, 2014 at 5:56 pm

TB Joshua deserve this list more than anybody so haters can keep hating. TB Joshua keeps moving forward. None of your family members have ever been influential and you too haven’t influenced anyone but u are here condemning TB Joshua. May God help you