News

New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2014: Maki Oh

Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (11)For her debut at the New York Fashion Week 2013, Nigerian designer Maki  of Maki Oh told a progressive story about the ‘woman’.

Her Spring/Summer 2014 collection was centered on the many roles a woman plays through out her life and adds an artistic edge to each piece to give a voice to each role. From the athlete to the cook, we see the models portray different roles as they pose in the couture.

The pieces range from apron inspired dresses, jersey shirts and dresses, sheer tops with puffed sleeves and little square hats (a personal favourite).

Maki Oh has never been known to showcase the ‘expected’ and I am glad I can see that here. I like her use of soft fabrics and the slightly ethereal look of the pieces that prompts a subtle impact of each piece. In totality I think she pulled together a great collection. What do you think?

View the collection.

Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (7) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (6) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (5) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (8) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (3) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (9) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (10) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (16) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (18) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (1) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (4) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (19) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (20) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (2) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (12) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (15) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (14) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (13) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (17) Maki Oh Spring-Summer 2014 Collection New York Fashion Week 2013 - BellaNaija - September 2013 (22)

Photo Credit: Vogue.uk.com

1. Non professional opinion

September 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’ve championed this designer since day one and I know that a lot of people don’t “get it” and maybe they never will, but I love her work and her continued success makes me feel beyond proud. Not just because she is the ONLY Nigerian designer to be covered by Vogue from season to season, or even because Michelle Obama wears her pieces but because it takes a lot of courage to be avant -garde in a town that favours beaded Ankara, flowing chiffon and copying. More grease to your elbow Amaka.

• @ajiriavae

September 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I agree with you totally, even I work with Ankara. Her designs are so refreshing. I always look forward to seeing what new stuff she comes up with. And she never disappoints me.
      ajiristyle.blogspot.com

• Toni

September 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm

This is my second time seeing this collection and I am starting to appreciate them even more. She dances to the beat of her drum. The designs of many designers are starting to look the same so I applaud her for giving us something refreshing. I think what makes her interesting compared to many of the foreign designers who get “inspired” other cultures is that Maki Oh lives in her homeland, breathes the air, and gets her source of inspiration from there. Her way of seeing & interpreting the beauty will be deeper and more organic compared to those ones going on google or making so much noise during their visit to these foreign countries. They only get to see/experience the surface of these cultures.

I don’t like the choice of models, mostly the white girls and one of the black models. Some of the white girls look O.K but the rest (like two of them)….I ain’t got time for. I don’t know who did the model casting or the idea behind it but I aint feeling them at all.

2. iyabo

September 10, 2013 at 12:24 pm

The pieces don’t look good on the models, talk less of mere mortals on the street. Fashion designers are artists and their work must elicit some kind of emotion because they communicate through their work. This does nothing for me. Sorry.

• GeeZee

September 11, 2013 at 1:13 am

Iyabo i agree with you.

• Mama

September 18, 2014 at 1:18 pm

They look very tacky to me… sorry

3. meeee

September 10, 2013 at 1:04 pm

@ non professional opinion….my dear they dont just get it! i looooove this collection. from the scenery to the styling to every single thing….its meant to be absurd, and she nailed it…

4. Omalicha

September 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I looooove!

• Sonaya

September 10, 2013 at 4:21 pm

ok, be loving going but what is up with the “dirty neck” look…or is that a sheer “turtle neck” fabric. I don’t understand.

5. apt

September 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm

non prof opinion & meeee….the difference btw you and them is EXPOSURE period. Naija Fashion designers once they have put ankara and chiffon together and bead the whole palava, they are Designers o….smh, and the best in their industry. Next pls. Kudos Maki Oh.

• npo_only

September 10, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Maki Oh does amazing work. Having said that, this collection looks put together in a rush. Gone is the cohesiveness we normally know the brand for – from jersey-type tops to polkadots to aso-oke frills, there seems to be everything, with nothing to tie it todether.

Non professional opinion, etc, I understand championing a designer’s cause, and I think that’s awesome, but the feedback helps the designer grow too. The collection looks like it was rushed, concept-wise and finishing-wise (particularly looks 1,2,4,5 and 7). The necklines are funny. If people are shelling out hundreds of $$ for a top, it has to be more on-point than this. As it is, the only thing keeping this collection is the choice of fabrics that are easy on the eye. But even on the styling of the outfits for this shoot, the Maki-Oh team dropped the ball. The silhouettes are not pleasing either in terms of things i would hope would be easy to nail: the fit at the shoulders, the necklines, the trouser lengths. In some like looks 1 and 9 I’ll be hard pressed to find anyone whose figure those skirts would flatter.

• Non professional opinion

September 10, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I agree that the styling let her down, but mostly in terms of not pressing pieces properly and choosing models with the right measurements. That being said, I love a lot of the looks you hate and the only things I would categorically not wear are look 6 ( because nobody should ever wear that) and look 8 because it looks like a dress from Next. Also the fabric for the dungarees is gorgeous but I haven’t worn dungarees since I was 8.
      As for cohesiveness, I don’t think there are too many ideas and what there is are themes that are being revisited
      What is nice is that even amongst the negative reviews some commenters are giving, they are still declaring themselves as fans of her work which seemed more rare in the past and is a faint glimmer of hope that more than one aesthetic can reign in naij at a time.

6. Lady Jaye

September 10, 2013 at 1:19 pm

To be honest, the finishing looks quite poor on the first few dresses. And the models have vapid looks. The last few attires are lovely.

7. kmt

September 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I love Maki Oh, i always have! I jumped when i saw the post! but don’t know this collection isn’t working for me, maybe just two looks. I understand her creativity in this but the combo of the different textures didn’t fall right and the tailoring wasn’t nicely executed. Maki Oh is still my favorite but maybe her next collection may wow me again but as for this …nope.

• Non professional opinion

September 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this is perfect. I also noticed some issues with the construction. Maybe she was rushed, maybe her staff are still working their way along that learning curve. What I love is her point of view. A lot of Nigerian designers blow which way the wind blows and are brand new each season. Here she adopted the calabash from her first season, the transparency from the second and the adire from her most recent work and while every piece isn’t a knockout there is a nugget of something that makes me excited for her future and the industry. Watch this space.

• Anon

September 10, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I concur.

8. Hurperyermie

September 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm

na only maki go wear this one o which kind design be this?

9. Angie

September 10, 2013 at 2:20 pm

@Non professional, Meeee and Apt….oh yes we “get it” when we need to get it but please as much as some of us have acknowledged Maki Oh in the past we should be kind enough to give constructive criticisms when necessary. Avant Garde does not mean you produce unwearable designs and believe your past feats will carry them. Will Michelle Obama wear any of these? Would any of you, Non professional, Meeee and Apt wear any of these? Finishing is tacky, models look funny (like those kunta kinte era slave girls) and the background drape for the photo shoot is just wrong! Maki Oh can do better please.

10. lisa

September 10, 2013 at 2:49 pm

mmmh…many a time i just wonder…these designs for the runway, are they meant to be worn or just for viewing, cos which of these designs can u wear…mmmh…i’m not a fashion guru so i won’t complain

11. Ayodeji. R.

September 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Maki Oh’s aesthetic is next level and like the first commenter said, not a lot of people will get it around here. However, there’s cause for pause at this photography. Doesn’t look like much thought was put into it and quite unlike Maki Oh who has shown severally that the devil truly is in the details. Asides this, very well done. This would definitely elicit applause, shown on a runway anywhere in the world WHERE fashion is appreciated and celebrated. Onwards and upwards, Maki!

12. dont mention

September 10, 2013 at 2:56 pm

yeah right about her been the best which i am by no means contesting that….but true love of the arts and appreciation means calling it out for simply what it is not when it is not…i love her too for her creativity and her style of always pushing the envelope and her use of different fabrics…she really dares to b outside of the box when it comes to african designers and she is one of the only few who can hold their own but this collection, u hav to be honest @ non proffessional opinion is not all that, it is not even that…i mean the cuts, the tailoring and the whole apron look…..naaaa…doesnt werk…she didnt get it this time bc i am sure even u will not wear this, no ordinary man will wear these which i am sure is not even tailored towards them and our stylish celebs like solange knowles n de other few who hav rocked her in the past, i dont quite see them finding anything in this collection to be wearable…..then again, it is my opinion which like urs too is non proffesional….

• Non professional opinion

September 10, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I can see what you are saying but I also think you should take a closer look. I would wear several things in this collection, after they were PROPERLY pressed (no claps for the stylist!!) and I would mix them with more basic things in my wardrobe. Add slips and camisoles where necessary a la Michelle Obama and a belt to change a silhouette if I want to. I don’t think the designer expects us to interpret her vision literally.
      The second to the last look is probably the easiest to wear and the least challenging which shows she knows how to make the obvious pretty, she simply chooses to push further. Maybe she has plans to be great one day as opposed to just ” nice” or easy. I think that is what the fashion press has seen in her and I’m hoping that will inspire up and comers to just be themselves.

• Victor

September 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Ahn ahn, you no dey sleep? Let it go, slips and camisoles can only go so far to conceal too-wide armholes or a wogo-wogo neckline. Just let the designer absorb some of the feedback, all the Voltron-ing is not necessary. It is obvious she already has people who respect her work, she is allowed a ‘bad’ collection.

13. Winifred

September 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Ok ooooo I know am Nigerian and you na wey Sabi will say am not exposed but I really do not like this collection at all. It looks too scattered for me but am sure the designer has her market but the things ‘ave seen Michelle Obama wear were not scattered like this. Designers need to be careful to create what is commercially successful and also being true to yourself. I don’t know how women are going to wear this collection but that’s my under exposed self talking Abi?

14. Ada

September 10, 2013 at 3:04 pm

RAGS!! who would wear these?

15. Ada Nnewi

September 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm

the tailoring is bad.. only 2 designs work..

16. Ima

September 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Love most of the pieces. Nice concept

17. GentsStyle

September 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm

THE RED DRESS IS A WINNER!

18. yoyo

September 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Maki Oh! you can do better, and you have.

from a fan

19. cool

September 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm

it is $$$$$ and £££££ she is pursuing not Naira, therefore she has her market nii unless Michelle Obama will not wear it.

20. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

September 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Love some, not so love some, but the creativity, talent and subjectivity clearly speaks for itself and should be applauded.
    P. S. My mum says I dress like a masquerade so maybe my opinion does not count.

21. Sbaby

September 10, 2013 at 9:07 pm

She is sually better than this, this has very poor finishing and just look one kind abeg

22. tolu

September 11, 2013 at 4:19 am

waste of fabrics IMO

23. dee one

September 11, 2013 at 5:14 am

Whether avant garde or whatever name fashion gives it, the tailoring of this collection is rubbish and the clothes look unfinished to me…..bottom-line, I hate it. My opinion.

24. #Team BlackMagic#

September 11, 2013 at 8:54 am

For free,I can’t wear any of this!

25. JASON PORSHE

September 11, 2013 at 8:59 am

GREAT JOB maki oh,God bless you.

26. Lilly

September 11, 2013 at 9:48 am

I am not blown away by her work.this collection seems abit boring and not well put together .

27. Oh dear

September 11, 2013 at 11:42 am

I think non professional opinion is sleeping now….

28. Akin

September 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Maki Oh is globally celebrated, well respected, and is undoubtedly in the top 5 of made in Africa designer brands in terms of quality, creativity, authenticity, and originality. So proud of you and keep up the phenomenal work Amaka!

29. Tia

September 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I totally love the collection. Am so proud of you maki and will always be.

30. Temitope Oluleye

September 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I love some of these designs not all but more grease to your elbow “Maki Oh”.

31. Chi

October 3, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Who wears these? Just a question from an unexposed lady…….. I wouldn’t give them a second look if I ever saw them in a shop.