Scoop

Halima Abubakar: I Remember This Time Last Year I Wanted to Kill Myself; I’m Glad I Didn’t

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

Halima AbubakarNollywood actress Halima Abubakar has revealed on her Instagram social media account that this time last year (2013) she was suicidal – and that the only thing that stopped her from committing suicide was the fear of Hell.

She posted a picture of herself and captioned it, “I remember diz time last yea,I wanted to kill my sef,am glad I didn’t cos I knw is hell straight But I was suicidal.. Am happy to be in a better place…God hhhmm I adore you…”

We are also glad you didn’t Halima Abubakar.

Last year another Nollywood actress Tonto Dikeh also shared how close she came to suicide as a result of depression (click here if you missed it).

Suicide is a very serious issue and this just goes to show that behind all the glitz and glamour, most times you don’t know the pain a lot of celebrities are facing.

Photo Credit: Instagram

1. Gerald

November 12, 2014 at 2:52 pm

She was never serious about it.

• Tess

November 12, 2014 at 3:03 pm

lol,you meanie

• lauryn

November 12, 2014 at 3:15 pm

ah ah be nice!

• ino

November 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm

you stupid

• Shadie

November 12, 2014 at 9:59 pm

@Gerald, how dare you insinuate that, that is very insensitive and bullish,because she is a celeb doesn’t mean that she doesn’t hurt or feel pain. Words are powerful think before you type. Depression is a serious mental illness. Stay strong Halima, The Lord is your strength.

2. Daizzy

November 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Wow really? Cold much! Its people like you that’ll see someone trying to kill themselves live and cheer them on! Till you walk in another person’s shoes never judge them cus you do not know the personal struggles they go through! I’ll have your dark heart in prayers!

3. bruno

November 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm

ATTENTION SEEKERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (ASAN)

• ATL's finest

November 12, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I had to laugh this one off! Although it’s not funny.. (ASAN) got me..

4. Soso

November 12, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Oh pls shut up. If she waz six feet below den u would hve said…”Oh she waz serious about it”.

5. ino

November 12, 2014 at 3:42 pm

OMG

6. Avuu

November 12, 2014 at 3:47 pm

There is help if you seek one. Depression hurts!

7. keechi

November 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I rolled my eyes when I saw that title. Stop seeking attention, go act a movie and be great at it then maybe you’d get our attention.

8. x-factor

November 12, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Thank God you didn’t…..the best is yet to come..Keep it real!

9. x-factor

November 12, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I have a question though…
    .If she writes on HER instagram page, How does that make her an attention seeker?
    It’s HER page, on a device she bought with HER money to be viewed by HER followers….cut HER some slacks please……These people(celebs) are humans like you and I with their ups and downs….LIVE and LET LIVE!
    C’mmon peeps

10. Gina

November 12, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Fear of hell? Really? Who says you won’t still go there if you don’t truly repent! Lol! Please go find another angle with your PR stunts. Nigerians in Nigeria are not suicidal by nature abeg. Next story please…

• x-factor

November 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm

@ Gina, I must admit that your blinded generalization is about the dumbest assertion i have ever read form someone who i assumed went through school or at the least can use the computer

…..As part of my internship in Psychology and life coaching, let me assure you that Nigerians in Nigeria are as suicidal as any race anywhere else in the world, In the past few weeks alone, I have worked with tens of patients, ranging from some of the fine faces we see on bella naija, to the silent billionaires in the heart of ikoyi, the bus conductor from meran and alagbado, the teenage girl(head girl) in a catholic school that is being abused by a school official, the smart kid (chevening scholar) who ends up under-employed,the pastor’s wife, the 29 year old bank treasury staff who still got a N 40m bonus a few months ago, the very beautiful, the very ugly, the adult, the middle aged, the grandmother,the househelp,the mistress, the housewife, man, woman, boy, girl, lady, dude,diva ….Name it!
      Wake up from your delusion and feel the world around you

NB:
      May I just add that, with this level of hate for another human…you need to thread cautiously yourself

Take care and be real

God bless you !

• Vortex

November 16, 2014 at 12:44 am

Well said.

• ACE

November 16, 2014 at 9:13 pm

U r so right X-factor!!!!! That’s how they say there is no corruption in America…yh, the inhabitants of the country are aliens with blue blood #kmt

• x-factor

November 12, 2014 at 6:25 pm

@ Gina, I must admit that your blinded generalization is about the dumbest assertion i have ever read from someone who i assumed went through school or at the least can use the computer

…..As part of my internship in Psychology and life coaching, let me assure you that Nigerians in Nigeria are as suicidal as any race anywhere else in the world, In the past few weeks alone, I have worked with tens of patients, ranging from some of the fine faces we see on bella naija, to the silent billionaires in the heart of ikoyi, the bus conductor from meran and alagbado, the teenage girl(head girl) in a catholic school who is being abused by a school official, the smart kid (chevening scholar) who ends up under-employed,the pastor’s wife, the 29 year old bank treasury staff who still got a N 40m bonus a few months ago, the very beautiful, the very ugly, the adult, the middle aged, the grandmother,the househelp,the mistress, the housewife, man, woman, boy, girl, lady, dude,diva ….Name it!
      Wake up from your delusion and feel the world around you

NB:
      May I just add that, with this level of hate for another human…you need to tread cautiously yourself

Take care and be real

God bless you !

11. blessed

November 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm

as humans, we love ourselves so much, we want to be happy always and thats why it takes a lot of pain for a person to what to opt out. sometimes its not because they are cowards but they really cherish themselves and dont want to continue to see themselves suffering and so they decide to end the suffering( be it physical, mental or otherwise) the best way they think at the time.
    at that time, they are really not thinking about later, all they are thinking about is now, that moment of relief which unfortunately is only temporal. death is never the end. the body is only but a means to dwell here, spirits we really are.
    i am glad for you my dear, keep your head up. God loves you more than you think you lvoe yourself and he would never want you to take that path. God bless you

12. Just me

November 12, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Suicidal ideation, depression, alcohol dependency is real guys. It does not matter if you live in Nigeria, America or London. These issues transcends culture or race.
    Like her, this time last year i was always crying and felt lost. But fast forward, i am doing better. Sometimes, we just need the right support system to get through those challenging times.
    Well done Halima, i am truly happy you did not kill yourself. Continue whatever you were doing that helped you overcome that challenge and never hesistate to share your story as you could potentially save another person.

13. Aba based slut

November 12, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I also belive she is a auxiliary member *ASAN*

14. Carliforniabawlar

November 12, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Shuuu…she doesn’t need to kill herself na! All she needs is just to iron her cloths and a better hairdresser!

15. @edDREAMZ

November 12, 2014 at 9:04 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Am sure she this all up to be in the media nothing else….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

16. mujer

November 12, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Let’s not forget that last year, she was also abused by instagrammers, tweeters and folks on all social media pages on a number of instances. I remember a photo shoot she did that was not quite optimal but invited a lot of vitriol. Its not easy living in the public eye. You will never have it right with everyone. These people need support systems to cope with all our comments.

• deede

November 13, 2014 at 5:19 am

“if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off”. people should stay away from social media if they can’t take the heat. just because you are a celebrity doesn’t mean you have to be on social media to have a flourishing career. i detest people who “hate” on social media, i find them pathetic and a bag of fools, however they exist and probably always will so advise yourself and get off it if you can’t handle the backlash.

17. Rose okwy

November 18, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Certain things you don’t joke with, that is why people are so ashamed to seek help when it comes to issues like this because we make light of it and laugh at the person. eing suicidal is not a joke no one wakes and says today ‘I want to kill myself” I mean why are we so callous as a people, when did we stop caring?