BN Prose: The One by Atoke

Posted on Tuesday, September 18th, 2012 at 9:36 AM

By Atoke

I have been told that when you meet that one person who is meant to be your partner for life, you would just know. Everyone else around you freezes then you and the other person are in a slow-motion scene. Very picturesque I must say.  I was told there would be soft music playing somewhere in your head and the requisite butterflies would flutter in your tummy. It is said that the moment when you’re supposed to know is when your eyes lock in a lingering gaze. That one gaze that in reality is a few seconds, but to you lasts forever. In that instant, you see the life you are going to have with that one person, and it is a rich, beautiful one in the full colour of spring; everything is bright and fresh. That priceless gaze speaks of a promising life ahead.

I know what to expect when it finally hits me; so when I walk into the room with my sister, tummy tucked in from both anticipation and the extremely snug dress I have on, I’m waiting for the telltale signs that my one true love is in this room. The horoscope signs Anabel showed me this morning said “Today, you will meet the ONE“; all in a bid to convince me to get out of the house. I snigger at the memory of it as I do a quick scan of the occupants of the little room. I make a conscious effort to suppress the cynic in me while I try to nurse the hope that I’d have that out-of-body experience. It is not happening, so I meander through the crowd to the bar, or at least the table where the drinks are lined. I take another quick sweep of the room to locate Anabel; this cocktail is after all her idea. I can’t afford to lose sight of her just in case I need to be rescued.

I catch a whiff of cologne; I’m intrigued but not particularly interested in finding out the source immediately. I hold up my wine glass to savour the rich fragrance of fermented grapes and I’m haunted by a mixture of the smell of the cologne and wine. I feel something stir within me; I turn around and standing right behind me is a tall, light skinned man. He is very easy on the eyes and I tilt my head up a little slowly to meet his gaze. Nothing in the world prepares you for that loud thump you feel deep within you. It feels like I am swimming in the depth of the pool of his eyes. I usually don’t like fair skinned guys and this man is extremely fair. He is speaking to me- I know he is because he is moving his lips and has a smile on his face but I can’t hear a word. I am transfixed by his gaze.

This is ridiculous Rosie! Get a grip.

“Hey Richard, I see you met our family recluse”

My sister’s boisterous voice snaps me out of my reverie. His eyes are hazel. He is probably of a mixed race- the complexion, the eyes and the slightly curled hair.

“I’m Urhobo. My mum is Dutch but my dad is from Ughelli”

I smile foolishly. I have not spoken but he’d heard me.

I find my voice, finally.

“I didn’t ask”

“Oh you did. Your eyes did all the asking”

I see the teasing glint that lights up his eyes and the playful tone of his voice is music to my ears. My heart is beating unbelievably fast but I like it. It’s exactly like in the movies and it’s actually happening to ME! I cradle my glass of wine and smile. The tarots were right. I hear Anabel’s voice again and I look up. This time she is engaged animatedly in a chat with another woman. They begin to walk in my direction and I move towards them; I see Hazel Eyes is heading in their direction too. I find myself being drawn closer to them, this time it is because I don’t want to lose sight of Richard.

“Temi, meet my sister Roselyn. Rosie, this is Temi. She’s Richard’s wife”

I steel myself from the wave of shock and disappointment that goes through me. There is no such thing as “The One”

Photo creditkindnessgirl.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: ,

• Custom Search
  • 35 Comments on “BN Prose: The One by Atoke”

Comments
    • bukky September 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

hehehehehheh…i like this

• AA September 18, 2012 at 9:56 AM

There is no such thing as “The One”. Good Lord Atoke!!! The last 2 lines were highly, nay HIGHLY unnecesssary

• Mw33mpo September 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

this story is incomplete…buh i luv it.

• Audrey September 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

LOL .Good story

• Charlestz September 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Lolzz…nice 1
      maybe ‘the one’ exists only in the Matrix world.lolz.

• pretty September 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Atttttttttokkkkeeeeeeee,thank you this amazing prose but it broke my heart @ the end#crying#. it should have been perfect like we all dream about

• pynk September 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM

lmao @ meet the wife.

• bigbeiby September 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM

omg! am completely breathless, was blushing all through till i read the wife part,eeww what a downer. nice piece though

• tp September 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM

not fair

• didikan September 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

yeeeeee. that thing can pain!

• bonita September 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Omg! beautiful written

• lilz September 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM

HEHEHEHE

• Monica September 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Omg….. i love this buh it waz hrt breaking @ d last paragrap mtewwwwwwww

• madman September 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I like this. Very well written. Had an argument not too long ago with my friend about this notion of “the one” —- no such thing.

• Purpleicious Babe September 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

SUSPENSE, EXCITEMENT, ANTICIPATION, BREATHTAKING ALL WRAPPED UP IN ONE.
      loved it….. nice prose b. but the dude, chai he is evilll….lol. coming up to her like that with his charms..

Oh there is such thing as the ONE, but some pple might never find the one.. its not a curse oh.. its A FACT.

• Wee September 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

…coming up to her like that with his charms… Sometimes, we see what we want to see in life. He might just have had the disposition of someone seeking a friendly acquaintance, but prior events and feelings of Rosie may have set her expecting much.

• Purpleicious Babe September 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I agree…we do…but me was spicing the story up.. u are right nonetheless…

• sister in the Lord September 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Let me give you guys my own version:
      I walked into the client’s office and the finance officer came out to introduce me to the team I would be working with, he had barely introduced the first person when I saw him; tall, light skinned and curly haired. I didn’t need to think twice: he was mixed race a sliting image of Rasey Nouah, only finer and taller. “I’m Daniel O******* he said” (deep soothing voice) and I imagined he held my hand a little longer and tighter as he looked into my eyes and shook my hand.
      I wasted no time in pinging my friend to tell her that I would be working with an eye-candy. I had already started plotting some moves and all, when he reached up to scratch his head and I saw the darn ring..aaarrrgghh!!!

• Blessmyheart September 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Loooool

• debdara September 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM

in reality “The One” doesnt exist. U find them in places u least expect.

• X factor September 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Atoke Atoke Atoke, how many times did i call you?………. U rock

• Traditionalbay September 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

na wa o. how is it paining some people? the man is already taken, stop dreaming and move on. ….and Atoke, is this Richard not wearing a wedding band/ring? nice read though.

• Aibee September 18, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I was smiling on Rosie’s behalf till I got to ‘meet Temi, she;s Richard’s wife’! Talk about a kettle of cold water, gosh.

• Rolayo September 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Reminds me of that song “Ironic”. “Its like meeting the man of your dreams, then meeting his beautiful wife”

• Raliah September 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I concur “the one” truely does’nt exist. Very nice piece .

• Myne Whitman September 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Nice piece, short and rivetting :)

• Princess September 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Reminds me of my own story, I was on my was back from school all tired and hungry, the only thing on my mind was my bed, I got on the train, standing cos there was no seat, this next thing I heard was this baritone voice “do you want to rest your back” when I looked up, to see d owner of d voice behold was this hot chocolate, 6’5 man with d sexiest dimple smile ever, my heart skipped a beat. We got engaged in a conversation he had d sweetest sense of humor, In my head I had started planing how he would propose to me on my graduation day in front of everyone. To cut long story short “the one” was not mine to have

• impervious October 17, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Commisserations Princess…my story is very similar. Feel like I wasted emotional energy. He could not have been more perfect, with his perfect girlfriend, pooh!
        welluninspired.blogspot.com

• faith September 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I smiled ooooooo till I saw wife….interesting!

• iamfascinating September 19, 2012 at 1:56 AM
    • cathy September 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM

hahahahahahaha ohhhohhhhhhhh which kain tin sef? lol nice one

• Ms. Jayee September 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Buhahahahahahahahaaaa!!!! oouch! it hurts! and yes it does happen….dang!

• TEE September 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Love love the prose…….. It happens every time innit :(
      Better luck next time, i do believe in the ONE but i’m still waiting though

• ritzmisan September 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM

AAAHHH! Atoke! nice piece. but Rosie gann sef. OLE ni e ni?

• oyin November 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

nice one Atoke but must every good nice looking man be taken, argh i tire, where are the single ones always hiding? looks like the married ones come out more.