Speaking on the xenophobic attacks on immigrants, including Nigerians, in South Africa, the federal government has stated that Nigerians will be evacuated only if the attacks get worse.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Aminu Wali, on Thursday stated that Nigerians have not been attacked.
“With the discussions I have been having with Nigeria’s Head of Mission in Pretoria, no Nigerian has so far been affected,” he said.
They informed me that they have called the Nigerian community and addressed them and told them to close their shops, stay home and keep out of trouble and obey the laws of South Africa. They have also confirmed that the South African authority has moved in to take actions that would forestall any further disturbance in South Africa.
If it gets worse it is the duty of our country to make sure our people are brought back, and we are taking that duty serious. We are not prepared to allow any of our nationals to be subjected to such inhuman treatment. We are monitoring the situation and will now take action according to the situation that develops,” he said.