Features

Going On Holiday Any Time Soon? Lola Ekugo Shares 10 Things that Are Essential for Travel

TravelEssentials

Having travelled to over 25 countries so far, there are some essentials apart from the basic travel luggage that travel has taught me to love. A trip without some of these could easily influence the feel my stay in any city!

Power bank
From experience, being caught with your phone battery dead while exploring a new city can be quite daunting. In the past, I always carried only my charger but after travelling to several countries in Africa where electricity can be an issue coupled with the trend of now using phones for everything, even as a boarding pass. A power bank is great because you don’t need to find a power socket while on the go.

Healthy Snacks
This is an absolute must for me, I don’t play with these. Healthy snacks, such as chewy granola bars, dried fruit, nuts, can be the difference between piling up lots of weight on during a holiday and not. Scenario, it’s 30 minutes to lunchtime and you can’t find the restaurant you were planning to go.

Option 1 – Buy ice cream and a cinnamon pretzel at the nearby stand.

Option 2 – Dig into your bag and find a handy healthy snack, relax and have a great lunch when you find the restaurant 45 minutes later.

The choice is yours!

Explorer bag or backpack / Comfortable shoes
I am usually very active on my holidays, and uncomfortable shoes or inappropriate carry ons can literally ruin a holiday with blistered feet, or lost items. I carry a cross shoulder bag so I can remain stylish! But a backpack is probably better as it distributes the weight evenly.

Medication
I have learnt over time to carry my own pain killers and the ever helpful imodium for a runny stomach but carry whatever works for you. Exploring can sometimes be stressful and eating local foods that your body is not so familiar with can sometimes lead to unexpected results. So, this is a must have for me, looking for a pharmacy in a new city can turn out to be more stressful, the right drugs can be difficult to identify and a language barrier can make it even trickier.

Your travel information at hand
I normally use my smartphone’s “Notes” app to keep all my important travel information together but it’s good practice to have a paper backup for those times your mobile devices can’t help you. it can save you a lot of hassle and stress. I have also found the TripIt mobile app quite useful for organising my travel itinerary.

You may need: Your travel confirmations and booking codes, Accommodation phone number and address, Travel Insurance details, Airline or travel agent toll free number, Small cash in the native currency and backup documents. Make copies of your passport and tickets and keep them in a safe place in your luggage. If your passport is stolen, a copy will speed up the replacement process. Leave a second copy of your passport with a family member back home.

Trainers for a run
My runs are so important to me on my holiday, I look forward to them. Exploring the scenery in my running shoes is always great and with all that holiday food, I need to burn it off somehow to make room for more!

Selfie stick/ tripod
Selfie sticks are becoming quite important travel essentials. They come in handy especially when traveling alone. If you have a DSLR then a tripod is great. I have taken some wonderful pictures with my tripod using the timer. Sometimes you don’t want to bother anyone to get that right shot! or you can’t find anyone you trust around or you are worried they might just run off with your phone. Even when travelling as a group a tripod/selfie stick are amazing travel buddies.

Plug Adapters
Travel adaptors come in handy depending on the country you are travelling to. Your hotel may have one but I would recommend having one as well.

Power Outlet options

Hand Sanitiser
They really come in handy for me as a refresher after a long flight or just a long day exploring.

Camera/Smartphone
A good camera is an absolute must-have as a travel blogger for taking those amazing shots. Although my current iPhone 6 plus has been a great assistant, the picture quality is high. A picture says a thousand words and I have taken some great shots and videos with these two! On my honeymoon to the Maldives, I forgot my camera, and I didn’t have a great smartphone camera at the time and I still haven’t forgiven myself!

Do you have a favourite travel item or what would you add to the list?

Lola is a Developer/ Business Analyst with a knack for adventure and travelling the world. She is a first class graduate of Business Information Systems from Middlesex University, London. She loves using technology to solve problems and has launched 2 start-ups. She is a writer and photographer drawing inspiration from her travels to over 25 Countries.  Follow her on Instagram: @weekenderhq and visit her website: www.WeekenderHQ.com

1. BeautifulOnyinye

July 27, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Nice tips Lola especially the medicine part.We went away for the Christmas vacation and I needed anti-malarials.All the pharmacies had only drugs for malaria prevention.Na so I kuku respect myself manage my body before oyibo go quarantine me.

• Dr

July 28, 2016 at 3:16 am

That was very dangerous Onyinye. You’re very lucky. I know people who ended up with cerebral malaria because of that….it can cause paralysis and death. Better to go to an ER and inform them you’re having symptoms of malaria and from a malarious zone and get fully treated. Malaria is not contagious and once they do a smear and confirm it , the rest falls into place. Or better still get someone to mail you antimalarials… FYI for others out there.

2. o

July 27, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Is anyone free to send in a trip report/article?

• www.thelmathinks.com

July 28, 2016 at 7:49 am

Maybe you should just send a well written one to BN anyways. I’m sure if it’s good they’ll post it.

Lola over 25 countries? I’m so jealous of you, you have no idea! Thanks for the tips.

3. Hauwa

July 28, 2016 at 1:23 am

Lool
    I smell “priding”…
    “Having travelled to over 25 countries”
    “My iPhone 6 Plus”
    Nice article however…quite helpful.

• Nino

July 28, 2016 at 2:26 pm

It is what it is.
      Deal with it.
      She is writing a travel article, we need to know we are getting info from a well heeled traveller.
      That said I will be putting over 35 countries in my signature going forward. #wanderlust

4. Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

July 28, 2016 at 5:07 am

Great article, don’t forget a portable umbrella I’ve had experiences where the train starts suddenly and I’m far away from a shelter.
    Every traveller should have the universal adapter, portable and has port for every country you might end up in.
    I don’t run on travels but I always use trainers, a really good pair of trainers is important, make sure it’s light! Nike is a great option but the are others, the one I use weighs 0.3kg so it’ssuper comfy. I’ll also advice to walk with a pair of flip flops in your backpack in case you find yourself having to tread through water while exploring.
    Wet wipes and hand sanitisers, preferably both.
    As for snack I usually have tons of granola bars to snack on until I find pizza lol.

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect?

July 28, 2016 at 5:09 am

Rain*

• Mama

July 28, 2016 at 10:07 am

In fact, I learnt that plug adapter one the hard way after my phone battery ran down. I couldn’t take pictures (sobs). Not just adapter, if you are staying a while, add a step down or step up depending on the voltage in the country you’re visiting or things like your clipper will not work.

5. Jagaban

July 28, 2016 at 5:52 am

When travelling i always have a small sling-bag for money,passport and ids etc. Also a journal for writing down ideas and also for a list of things i want/need to buy. A camera is also needed depending on where(most times a phone or iPod camera is just enough). Also depending on the season…sunglasses or a sweater or both.
    I want to get a new dslr camera(preferably a Canon or Sony) any ideas???

• Wanderlust _Trekeffect

July 28, 2016 at 8:44 am

I’m a canon girl so I’ll recommend canon powershot sx710 (amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RKNNQI8/ref=psdcmw_330405011_t1_B00I58M26Y ) that’s what I use, absolutely delightful with amazing 30x zoom . I would also recommend Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70, my friend recently got that and the photos she took with it literally blew me away, so I’ve got my eyes on it now.
      You could check it out on Amazon
      amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DY2Y28M/ref=pd_aw_vtph_0_bs_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5YW7FVPKYKD0YQ9XTHPX

• aj

July 29, 2016 at 1:52 am

girl I’m sure he is looking for a nice point and shoot camera not all this oversabi priced ones you are naming.

• aj

July 28, 2016 at 9:28 am

Canon is better than Sony at least according to the amazon reviews I’ve been looking at. I’m still on the hunt for a nice camera myself.

6. Wendy

July 28, 2016 at 8:51 am

Sunglasses is a must for me during summer, I also carry a small bag to put essentials like my passport, money and phone, though on my last trip I used a backpack and that was so comfortable and hands free. I usually walk around in my sandals but will definitely try the light sneakers next. True to power bank, I don’t travel anywhere without it. Another absolute must is @easy to [email protected] hair for ladies. Braids is a must for me when I travel. I just wake up, put it in a bun or have a hair down day. No time to spend hours in front of a mirror for that.

7. its_urgirlie

July 28, 2016 at 10:13 am

when you gat money and the only thing on your mind is how to spend it.

8. Princess P

July 28, 2016 at 11:30 am

I’m about taking my leave and looking to travel somewhere nice even if its within the country to explore and have fun
    I need a partner to join me coz it will be super boring if I am alone + suggestions on where to visit with a minimum budget o