BN TV

“If you are black, they consider you as trash” – Students Speak on Recent Attacks on Africans in India | WATCH

BellaNaija.com

“They see us as cannibals; they see us as prostitutes; they see us as drug addicts,” says Mina Wumbey, a Ghanaian student in Hyderabad, referring to how she feels stereotyped as an African in India. Wumbey told The Stream that not all Indians are racist, but in her experience “the majority” are.

“If you are black, they consider you as trash,” echoed Sadiq Bello, a Nigerian student in New Delhi.

Wumbey and Bello were speaking to The Stream on Al Jazeera about the spate of attacks on Africans in India.

In the most recent, Nigerian brothers Endurance and Precious Amalawa were strolling with a friend through a shopping mall in a New Delhi suburb, when suddenly a mob of Indian students violently assaulted them. The three young men were punched, kicked, and attacked with objects like steel dustbins and tables as Endurance cried for help and people stood by and watched. Cellphone video of the incident went viral after being posted on the Association of African Students in India Facebook page.

The attackers were among hundreds of people who went on a violent rampage targeting Africans in Greater Noida, after Indian teenager Manish Khari died of a suspected drug overdose. Mobs formed after rumours circulated that Nigerians supplied him with drugs, with signs springing up overnight calling for Nigerians to go back to Africa. When Indian students at a vigil for Khari spotted a group of Nigerian students nearby, they attacked.

Black students are frequently targets of assaults and beatings, particularly around India’s universities, where tens of thousands of Africans from Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya and other countries come to study and find a better life.

Last July, Masonda Ketada Olivera, a Congolese man, was beaten to death in a fight over hiring an auto rickshaw, prompting a flurry of statements and promises from the government amid outrage from African embassies.

African envoys said that case and others are frequently unresolved. Now, they have written a sharply worded letter urging the Human Rights Council of the United Nations to investigate. The Indian government and the police have assured African embassies they are taking necessary steps to protect African nationals.

Police have opened an investigation into the Amalawa’s case and made multiple arrests.  Police have also dispatched security to hostels and universities, amid reports of threats to African students in the wake of the beatings. But officials say the attacks are not racially motivated, something echoed by another guest on The Stream, Tarun Vijay.

Wumbey says this denialism is unhelpful. “If they keep denying it… it’s going to keep happening and getting worse day by day.”

Indian photographer Mahesh Shantaram, another guest on The Stream, agrees. “My experience is that it’s everywhere. I’ve met Africans all over India… and we see the same or similar incidents repeating themselves,” he says addressing the issues in isolation doesn’t help solve the root causes.

Wumbey calls on the African embassies to do more and to stop focusing only on the interests of their country’s citizens. “When an attack is going on, Indians don’t say this person is from Tanzania, or this person is from Nigeria, or this person is from Ghana. They attack you because they see you as an African. So when an African is attacked, I expect our ambassadors to come out and condemn the act.”

She is releasing short videos on Facebook to try sensitive the Indian population to Africans. “We are trying to educate people, to let them know that Africa is not a country; Africa is a continent.”

WATCH the video below:

1. Agu

April 12, 2017 at 9:23 pm

But then what the f$&k are you doing in India Nigeria GDP per capita is bigger than India. It’s like some nigerians just want to go out of Nigeria then don’t care if the place is worst than Nigeria.

• Cathy

April 13, 2017 at 8:45 am

Your stupidity shocks me. Do you think we are in India to play . What health services
      do we have in Nigeria . Think deep and hard. Do we have cancer hospitals. I know a family member who almost died in Nigeria. She was misdiagnosed. When she got to India we found out it was cancer.

• Cathy

April 13, 2017 at 8:47 am

Yes they might be racist. But what choice do we have they offer affordable health care. So Agu since you have so much confidence in Nigeria
      . Kindly direct us to a cancer hospital that can help us. If not I suggest you shut your stupid trap

• Lacey

April 13, 2017 at 1:02 pm

@ my dear Cathy Indians are the worse set of people or race in the in this world, in the U.K., America or even in Europe they compete with black people and they see us a threat, I will not even advice my worse enemies to go live in India ?? sef!!! You guys continue to stay in India at your own peril!!!

• Amit

April 13, 2017 at 10:07 am

Yes ..Indians r racist ..I feel ashamed of it..It our forefathers fault..They did teach us that white is good ..We too have black people ..Yes for African we got impression that they do I’ll activities..See..U will not find Indian a drug peddler in Africa ..We see African sometimes here …So majority have no problem with black Indian but with African ..That’s Hypocrisy…I agree

2. Agu

April 12, 2017 at 9:24 pm

India is a racist country even though Majority if them are colored

• Anon

April 12, 2017 at 10:51 pm

What colour? Red, blue, yellow, green, grey or pink?

• Cocolette

April 13, 2017 at 3:12 am

Black colored

• Bb

April 13, 2017 at 5:44 am

Yes there is racism amongst Indians. There are black colored Indians who are disadvantaged by the system. Also within their religion they have a class system which puts some of them at a disadvantage. I only wish Nigeria was a much better place so that it’s citizens does not have to go to other countries in the pursuit of quality education.

3. john

April 12, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Black students are frequently targets of assaults and beatings, particularly around India’s universities, where tens of thousands of Africans from Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya and other countries come to study and find a better life,……… a better life in india of all places..u deserve the beating for your stupidity…

• Bb

April 13, 2017 at 5:40 am

Quite unfair for you to say they deserve the beating. Some students choose to study at India or Asian countries because of the quality education at a fraction of the cost of UK or USA schools. At the end of the day is the knowledge gained that will equip you in your career choice and not necessarily where you schooled. So be a little sympathetic to what they are facing.

4. mywifeisfiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

April 12, 2017 at 10:30 pm

its the mentality of Nigerians that believe that anything other than black is better. Thats why oyibo sold us the story of “white Jesus” because our backward heads would probably have doubted if the description of Jesus wasn’t white enough for us. India sef dey form racism. we have no pride because poverty has finished us, i wish God can just come down and kill off this evil men and women parading as leaders in our climes. while we wait for God, we the young ones need to rise up, rise up Nigeria, rise up. we are heading for doom, stop celebrating criminals and mediocrity, they are the reason you are in India, another third world country trying to better your lives, we now go to Ghana, Cotonou, I have heard of Uganda sef for school. look at how people devoted time to big brother; is that how a productive country devotes her time? We are f**ked in every sense

5. Joke

April 12, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Even in America, Indians look down on blacks including Africans, African Americans etc. African Americans hate that, but it’s very real. Now, I wouldn’t even work for Indians, but I hear in Nigerian companies hire them to torment Nigerians employees… Once they see you are black all labor laws etc go by the way side even in the USA, so I can only imagine what they are getting away with in Nigeria. When I was an independent IT contractor, one sent me a contract to sign that I would never in my life work for a long list of companies she works with. I sent it to a white IT guy who said only a starving person would sign this rubbish contract. I said NO and kept it moving. Another time, I got hired for a night manager position with the understanding with the Nigerian manager that once they hired another manager I would be put on day shift since I”m not a night person. Once the Indian director that was away returned and saw me a young black female, he said the manager didn’t know what he was talking about and that he should tell me I will be staying in that night position forever. I almost died because my body wasn’t handling the change in sleep patterns well at all. I was loosing my mind. I handed in my resignation promptly and filled for unemployment. They even had the effrontery to deny it. I appealed and won. My father’s friend who had been receiving healthcare in England wit no problem for years, wanted to save money, went to India when sick. His dead body was returned…I have so many more instances that I know personally, but can’t share them all. MY PEOPLE NO TRY INDIA OR INDIANS OH NA GOD I TAKE BEG YOU!!!

6. Joke

April 12, 2017 at 11:54 pm

7. joe

April 13, 2017 at 12:06 am

Mehnnnnn the time I visited India/New Delhi for work.
    The kind of poverty I saw. Iv not seen it in naija before. You can imaging little kids just following you,waiting for you to finish your KFC so they can take the empty pack and almost finished coke and start eating reminants.
    Even see the way even stray dogs follow you.
    Yes they have their nice parts. Atleast our hotel was nice.
    Pls parents should bring their kids back. Put them in private universities here. We even have the American university in Yola; that atiku uni not sure of the name.
    Your childs safety is paramount before education.

8. get your eye test done today

April 13, 2017 at 4:49 am

Millions of Indians are doing business in and living peacefully in Nigeria for decades! where is the outcry from the Indian community in Nigeria?

9. onyx

April 13, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Indians dominate the manufacturing industries and chemical importation business in nigeria, they frustrate nigerian in this sector of business just becase there is no regulation here. They just come make money in nigeria and never invest here.

10. Nigerian

April 13, 2017 at 5:20 pm

If you travelled to India for Medical care, that’s a different thing (they also have exceptionally good Drs in the art of being quack). But for education… I am Moynihan convinced that India has anything to offer me better than Naija.