News

Britain appoints “first black female career diplomat” NneNne Iwuji-Eme as High Commissioner

BellaNaija.com

Britain appoints "first British black female career diplomat" as High Commissioner - BellaNaijaThe UK has appointed NneNne Iwuji-Eme as the British High Commissioner to Mozambique, The Guardian reports.

Iwuji-Eme is the “first black female career diplomat” to be appointed a high commissioner by the British foreign office.

Speaking on her appointment, Iwuji-Eme described it as “an honour and a privilege.” She said:

I hope my appointment as the first British black female career diplomat to this position will inspire young talent, regardless of race or background, to pursue their ambitions in the Foreign Office.

I look forward to forging even stronger connections between Britain and Mozambique – two close members of the Commonwealth family.

Foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, said diversity is a valuable asset for the UK, and added that Iwuji-Eme has “vision, experience and energy” for the appointment. He said:

As the country heads in a new and exciting direction, it’s important that we have the brightest and the best batting for Britain. Our great diversity is an invaluable asset on the global stage, and it’s only right that at all levels [of] the FCO reflects this.

As a continent with some of the world’s fastest growing economies, Africa is an important partner post-Brexit. NneNne has the vision, experience and energy to take our relationship with Mozambique to the next level, and I congratulate her on her appointment.

NneNne Iwuji-Eme will take up her role as the high commissioner in July.

Photo CreditUKinMozambique

1. Yayay

March 23, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Congratulations

2. Confuzzled

March 23, 2018 at 12:45 pm

She is not representing Nigeria or Nigerians. She is not Nigerian. Why is this news?

• Make I talk

March 23, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Because it’s not a norm in the UK and irrespective, she is Black and we represent our own.

Seriously??? Smh for you

Bonang, Beyoncé and Lupita are not Nigerians or representing Nigeria and I am surprised you have never complained.

Please, common sense is not that hard ok

• Fizzy

March 23, 2018 at 3:03 pm

She is Not Nigerian. She is of Nigerian descendant. But, she is NOT NIGERIAN. You all and bloggers should stop this thirst for appropriation. Na so una nearly korlorbi the Williams’ sisters Venus and Serena.

• The Real Oma

March 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm

@Fizzy, you know I went back to the report to see if there was any mention of her being Nigerian anywhere and I didn’t find it, I see is ‘first black woman.’ So what are you on about?

3. Chaimo

March 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Lol, saying she’s not a nigerian but she’s an Igbo woman, I have never seen British answer Nnenne or Iwu , so she’s Igbo a Biafran Nigerian, Oya attack me

4. AdamaziEvents

March 23, 2018 at 8:12 pm

She’s Nigerian, She’s Igbo. She’s British. She’s a woman. Congratulations NneNne Iwuji-Eme on your new position.

5. Joy

March 24, 2018 at 12:41 am

Congratulations dear. Please don’t relax. Enemies of progress de.

6. Temi Tope

March 24, 2018 at 1:19 am

I am reading the comments and just laughing , but, It is at the same time Pitiful .. Why all this fuss?? Why not celebrate her? AND JUST MOVE ON.. our problem in AFRICA : IS NOT POVERTY BECAUSE AFRICA is not poor.. but I am mindset on TRIBALISM, ETHNIC GROUP, THIS AND THAT. Yes she is not NIGERIAN, SHE IS BRITISH .. BUT WHEN YOU SEE HER NAME AND SEE HER.. SHE IS OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING NIGERIAN.. SHE STARTED HER LINEAGE IN NIGERIA.. Just be happy for her.. and pray for her.. because she is AFRICAN before all and will remain AFRICAN.. Gee!! we Africans we are too too way too complicated..