Adopt a Library: One Young World Nigeria Launches First Project

Posted on Thursday, November 11th, 2010 at 9:42 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Valerie Dawodu - Ese Bob-Okonedo - Oreoluwa Dalmeida - Kaidi Eddie-Obiakor - Kenechukwu Onyenorah - Olamide Omolaja - Chioma Opara - Abayomi Akindein - Dayo Fadayomi - Akin Ajao - Oladiji Wusu

In line with its focus, One Young World Nigeria is launching its first project “Adopt a Library”. The aim of this project is to facilitate refurbishment and creation of libraries in public secondary school. This is informed by the recognition of the malaise in the Nigerian education system. By liaising with the general public, volunteers and alliance partners, One Young World Nigeria seeks to organise collections of reference books, textbooks, storybooks and all forms of literary works to be donated for use in these school libraries.

One Young World Nigeria (OYWON) is a movement that was birthed from the One Young World global youth summit held in London from February 8 to 10, 2010. The summit, conceived in 2009, brought together young people from over 100 countries around the world to engage in discussions with forerunners from all walks of life, including Mr. Kofi Annan, Bob Geldof, Muhammad Yunus, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu on issues confronted by present and future generations. As an outcome, a consciousness was raised amongst delegates at the summit to play active roles in addressing pressing issues faced globally and within their respective countries.

According to a statement issued by Miss Kaidi Eddie-Obiakor, the group’s coordinator, OYWON is a joint initiative of the Nigerian delegates to the summit and other young, intelligent and progressive-thinking individuals passionate about social justice and development. It is a platform that seeks to promote change through projects that integrate principles of creativity, resourcefulness, measurable impact and sustainability at the core. According to her, “the group seeks to create an avenue where everyone – young and old – can be involved in the process of positive change for Nigeria by sharing ideas of projects that are targeted towards improving lives and livelihood. These ideas are built upon and dissected into simple, practical and actionable activities that are easy to carry out in collaboration with OYWON volunteers, organizations with common goals and the general public”. OYWON seeks to engender and promote the culture of “less talk, more action”. “We all know the issues, so let us join efforts to confront and overcome even if one step at a time”, she said.

Further details on the “Adopt a Library” project and other initiatives of OYWON may be found on the group’s Facebook page www.facebook.com/oywon. Be a part of the wave…One Young World Nigeria.

To get involved in current and future OYWON projects, share your ideas or find out more, you can contact us via www.oneyoungworldnigeria.com or through the following numbers: + 234 80 23 32 65 13, +234 80 5557 7642, +234 80 7409 0212, +234 80 37 32 95 29, +234 80 5600 4586, +234 80 60 07 80 28, +234 80 89 59 85 26.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 27 Comments on “Adopt a Library: One Young World Nigeria Launches First Project”

Comments
    • oludare baloye November 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM

We really need it in naija . i don’t think i remembered what library was when i was in secondary school in Nigeria and i grow up in Lagos.
      PLEASE HELP THE YOUNG WORLD IN AFRICAN ,GOD BLESS YOU. MAKE IT WORK PLEASE I WILL SUPPORT YOU ANY WAY I CAN.

• Stella November 11, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I’m in!

• Chibaby November 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I’m in too. I need to partner with somebody though.

• Vee November 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Kindly contact any of the numbers provided if you want to get involved in OYWON.
      Please volunteer your time and books for our cause.

• bugo November 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Good initiative!lemme knw hw I can help…I’m in!!!I see u girlies..x

• Chivuzo November 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM

This is awesome o!!!!!!!!!! Well done to the entire team!!

• marie November 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I believe in change, n am soo challenged…count me in!!!

• Ola November 11, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Fantastic Initiative! We need more of such.
      I am in .
      Folks you look so sincere and gorgeous! Now that is putting you money where your mouth is

• Olivia November 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Totally in-YES WE CAN!!!

• Kaya November 11, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Now this is wat’s fabulous……we need to get Nigeria reading biko…too many illiterates roaming about everywhere……I’m sooo in…talk talk…

• yomi November 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Together Everyone Achieves More.(TEAM) so let’s do this, do it well.

• Sarah Nubia November 12, 2010 at 5:26 PM

this is a very good cause I’m inspired.

• babs micheal November 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Lets create the future by creating the drive to educational empowerement…..lets join hands and do this

• samson November 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I’m in!!!

• Uchechi November 13, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Good stuff!

• Fifi November 14, 2010 at 5:22 AM

Ore,
      if your reading this na me go kill u!
      where hast thou been?

• jemmy November 15, 2010 at 2:41 PM

this is a welcome and timely initiative…….more actions, less talk. I’m in

• jummie November 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

this is a brilliant idea…… i pray this dream lives on

• Dr. Boniface Igbeneghu December 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM

This isa wonderful project. I am enthused to identify myself with it.

• maxwell Adeoy Adew December 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM

brilliant idea i need to meet you guys possibly we can work together am working on similar project now across Africa countries go to http://www.takingitglobal.org go to project page search for ICT AS A TOOL FOR POVERTY ERADICATION IN AFRICA to know more

• kiki December 14, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Great Maxwell! Lets get in touch…contact us via our numbers

• Ade December 15, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Wonderful initiative. Checked your website but its still under construction. Like to know how I can help.

• kikI December 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Just call any of the nUmbers and we’ll take It from there tnx!

• Olufemi Franklin Olufemi February 21, 2011 at 2:20 PM

The question is not who is in, it is who is not in. I will support again and again any initiative that aims at making Nigeria, and in effect the rest of the world a better place. We have had dreams, lets make it real.

• k-nani March 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM

gr8 work… will luv 2 hlp.

• mutambi samuel March 18, 2011 at 11:03 AM

I thank you for your idea of empowering your fellow Nigerians but I would like to request you to extend that idea to other African countries so as to fulfill the dream of our pan Africanists of creatining a United Africa.——–makerere university ,kampala, uganda

• igbofille July 6, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Wow Ore and Kaidi, frenchies. Je suis fier de vous deux. I’m proud of you guys. Language will not be a barrier for those two. I’m interested in this too.