It might take 15 minutes of your time, but it would be a well spent quarter of an hour with “Loop”.

Cinematographer and Director Stanlee Ohikhuare premieres his award winning short film tittled “Loop”, taking his viewers on a chilling suspense- filled ride.

Synopsis:

LOOP is a story about two twin sisters who scheme a deceptive plot to help one of them “Jenny” to travel out of town for an interview against the wishes of her husband. According to the plan, Julia was supposed to fill in for Jenny — her identical twin sister until her return. However, things take a drastic turn when Tony; Jenny’s sex-starved husband comes home drunk that same night, resolved not to accept a “No” when he makes sexual advancements towards his wife Jenny.
Jenny is frigid and does not enjoy sex – a situation that has left her husband Tony sexually deprived and frustrated. Julia just happened to be at the wrong place and at the wrong time and she bears the recompense for her sister’s unyielding nature.
What follows is a spasm of hallucinations, fantasy and sordid surrealism which proves deadly and leaves Jenny in a fix as she must now assume her sister’s identity.

Stanlee Ohikhuare is also the director of the soon to be released flick ‘Tunnel’ which stars Femi Jacobs, WAJE, Nse Ikpe-Etim and others. He also directs the animated movie “Lifespan” due for release later this year.

“Loop” was nominated in 5 categories in the ‘In-Short Film festival’ in 2012, including Best Director and Best Actress. It clinched the award for Best sound.

So grab your popcorn and soda, enjoy your time and tell us what you think!

Watch Loop:

27 Comments on How Far Would You Go For Your Twin? Watch “Loop”, a Short Film on Twin Sisters by Stanlee Ohikhuare on BN
  • stanlee ohikhuare February 2, 2013 at 5:40 am

Also watch out for my latest movie premiering in April 2013.
    TUNNEL – featuring Waje, Femi Jacobs, Nse Ikpe, Patrick Doyle, Lepacious Bose, Femi Akeredolu and a host of others.

• The original Beebee February 2, 2013 at 11:49 am

One word: FANTASTIC!!
    Kudos to you, Stanley. Well done

The Original Beebee…

• Duni February 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm

WOW!!!!!!! I so want to watch it longer. This is a great short film. Kudos!

• thatgirl February 2, 2013 at 1:58 pm

No,didn’t like it, she/they kept on repeating the same damn thing for 15 minutes kmt

• Toger Thabi February 2, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I didnt enjoy this.. visually stunning.. but it didnt engage me… the sroty and dialogue didnt engage me..

• nene February 2, 2013 at 3:43 pm

the cinematography is GREAT! every other thing is zero. the acting was annoying and the dialogue just kept going in circles and it was too slow. get a better actor, editor, and screen writer next time.

• stanlee ohikhuare February 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for the honest comments – thatgirl, Toger Thabi and nene.
    However, what you think was a floor was actually part of the “looping” strategy cos’ the flick is meant to “bug the mind” actually hence, repeated lines were intentional. It’s a movie with a yet to be determined genre in representational style and perception. It wasn’t meant to flow – rather to confuse because i am a surrealist. Meanwhile, I honestly appreciate your comments and I hope you will help critic all my future stuffs.

• ajs February 2, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I think that actor is a bit weak on delivering dialogue. I say this because she has good facial expression. It also sounded like she was trying to hold an accent that was not believable. On a whole; good attempt but i think the actor sank the director’s intent.

• Nok10 February 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Them try sha:)

• abbey February 2, 2013 at 7:03 pm

The cinematography and sound are of the best quality, but the film itself lacks all other elements of good short film. (1) The beginning is not strong enough and it takes too long to establish your story (2) the acting is really poor for a film that use only one actor. (3) You use too much repetation and that is where you lost me. However, you as a director has great potential, you just have to be careful and consider some of these points people are poiting at here. Good luck!

• Isima Richards February 2, 2013 at 8:04 pm

gives me the shivers! but its a nice movie!

• Kemi February 2, 2013 at 9:31 pm

this is such horrible acting..

• ‘Sola February 2, 2013 at 10:06 pm

The dialogue is very poor! The plot is passable. The acting seems fair enough. But, some of the delivery was downright wrong. For instance, a statement like, ‘You are jealous. Isn’t it?’ is a poor command of the language. However, the production is a good starting point for a rookie and he should be encouraged.

• Myne Whitman February 3, 2013 at 1:00 am

Great cinematography and editing, but you would have done better with a better actor and screen writer.

• uchenna February 3, 2013 at 4:36 am

Intense! Well done!, got my attention and I liked it! Excellent video quality. Though short, its engaging the whole time. Actress did well. Keep growing and improving. Looking forward to seeing more from everyone who helped put this piece together. Be Well:)

• Ola February 3, 2013 at 10:44 am

Lovely

• Anonymous February 3, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Watching d film without reading d synopsis, its almost impossible to understand d plot. Agreed its meant to be a loop, but too much time was spent on crying and dialogue was weak. But i have to agree with the others d cinematography was gud. All the best with ur future work and i am eagerly waiting for ur animted movie, cause that is long over due in Nollywood

• stanlee ohikhuare February 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Thanks to every positive critic… critical analysis and dissatisfaction are brewers of perfection!

• salsera February 3, 2013 at 3:15 pm

cinematography-great. i even like the actress but the dialogue and accent put me off.

But what I am curious about is the death scene, when julia got up to pick the knife she was dressed but when she stabbed herself instead of her sister she had a nightgown on.
    Or is that part of the plot – or was there really ever a twin in the first place or is this just a case of split personality?

• stanlee ohikhuare February 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm

First, I must commend SALSERA for being the first person so far to even mention some of the hidden details in this movie. I hope other people will go back and look at this movie critically.
    Now, let me break it down… Julia got raped by Jenny’s husband who by the way thought he was having sex with his wife. She wakes up in the morning; sore and violated but her predicament is heightened by her imagination of how her imposing sister Jenny would take the news. When she woke up and got up from the bed, her mind was already twisted. Demented and confused, hallucination sets in with a looping confusion that makes it hard for her to ascertain if what she is experiencing is real or just a result of her twisted mind. In the bathroom, she was already hallucinating when she wore her sister’s glasses and beheld her image in the mirror (Julia doesn’t use glasses). This reflection of Jenny’s likeness makes the imagination of Jenny more real than it should be.
    Over time, she begins to try escaping this creation of her mind by attempting to walk away only for another Jenny to walk in through the door – forcing her to believe that reality had set in. However, she had just gotten into a deeper level of hallucination; where Jenny’s fictional image begins to play out Julia’s fears in terms of her reception of the news of Julia’s sad experience with Tony.
    Finally, when Julia tries to stab Jenny, she stabs herself – obviously because Jenny wasn’t there! Only then did she wake up from her phantasm.
    In the directing, I made her go back to wearing the original outfit she was wearing to help viewers who look beyond the surface and seek out details, to realize that she was actually at the same place all the while but her imagination had succeeded in creating a virtual reality fueled by her fears.
    Actually, this movie was conceived and executed to task the mind of the discerning viewer and anyone who just reels through it will NEVER appreciate it because it’s not the regular plot or representation. Every minute holds subtle details that are meant to serve as clues to those who are willing to search deep into my SURREAL INTENT.

Thanks Salsera for noticing the details that make LOOP delightful.

“LOOP” was intentionally shot to confuse and bug the mind”.
    Even the conversations and scenarios were virtually looped to leave the viewer hollow, confused about the unfolding events and short of conclusions. Loop should be a surrealist’s delight. I am a surrealist and my personal works are not meant for general perception… only for discerning & deep minds.

• bukky February 8, 2013 at 2:17 am

When you go to great lengths to explain your intention then you have not done your job well!

• stanlee ohikhuare February 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Once again, I am very grateful for every POSITIVE CRITICISM. God bless you all.

• Mayowa Tomori February 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Nice details and cinematography, I liked some of the details, the confusing of “me” and “you” in the dialogue and other clues. I look forward to seeing how your work evolves as your credibility and skill as a filmmaker grows.

• northernbelle February 4, 2013 at 12:11 am

Surrealism…reminds me of my theatre days @ university. Good job, I imagine the intense emotions the actress had to dredge up for such a wonderful performance. However, the manner of speaking, to me, wasn’t natural – it seemed like they were reciting their lines (strong emphasis on reciting). well done, Stanlee: surrealism is not an easy concept to work with. it challenges the mind and if one is not ‘strong’ (for want of a better word) enough to decipher it, the tendency is to pull it down and give it a bad name. Deep things are never easily accessed!

• northernbelle February 4, 2013 at 12:13 am

me again. i enjoyed those close up shots @ the beginning of the movie.

• feisty chic February 4, 2013 at 5:01 am

cinematography good
    actress terrible
    I get the alternate reality thing but it could have been done better. I think the acting and the extremely long scenes made it tiring to watch. Try watching movies like inception, source code and the sphere so you can see how its done.

• stanlee ohikhuare February 4, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Point noted feisty chic… i have seen those movies. HOWEVER, I GO HUMBLE MYSELF WATCH DEM AGAIN.
    Moreover, any impression you have on the actress should rest on me because I directed her. Also, the way she sounded in the movie is actually the way she sounds in real life.
    I WOULD APPRECIATE MORE RESPECT AND POSITIVE SCRUTINY FOR THE ACTRESS. Loop was shot in 11hrs 28 minutes and she was just snapping in and out of two extremely contrasting characters spontaneously based on my treatment and Direction. If anyone finds any fault in her acting, lay it on me and my SURREAL MIND and tag me a “BAD DIRECTOR”.
    Soon, you guys will see other productions I have embarked on that suit GENERAL EXPECTATION and PERCEPTION and realize that this whole short movie was just a DEMENTED EXERCISE IN FILM MAKING.
    Like I have always said, thanks for the comments… I believe every positive critique is honestly meant to channel me in the right direction. The negative ones also count because they are helping me with my research on the pros and cons of my subjective personal eccentric inclinations – reflected in my films.
    WATCH OUT FOR THE NEXT PRODUCTION IN MY TRAGEDY SERIES… A HORROR MOVIE WITH PRODUCTION TITLE AS “MIRA”