BN Beauty: 9 Easy-Breezy Tips for Blow-Drying Your Hair

Posted on Monday, April 29th, 2013 at 2:17 PM

By Jennifer Obiuwevbi

black-woman-blow-dryer-hairWhen blow-drying hair there are basic steps that should be considered before and after. Having fallen victim to hair loss and damage due to bad blow-drying and not wanting the same to happen to you, here are a few tips to guide you in blow drying your hair.

Tip 1: Before you even begin to blow dry, you have to untangle the hair. When hair is wet it is easier to untangle. Use a wide toothed comb like the one in the image below and comb out your hair moving from the tips to the base of your head. Combing the hair straight from the scalp would lead to clumping which will eventually form tangles and break your hair. A useful tip in doing this is to divide your hair into sections and use this as a grid for blow drying the hair.

Tip 2: Do not rub your wet hair dry or semi-dry with a towel. The friction created by doing this removes nutrients that your hair definitely needs to be healthy and sustained. Instead of rubbing, blot out the water with a towel while pressing slightly to the scalp. This way you take out a bulk of the water without draining the hair of its nutrients.

Tip 3: Metal brushes are the last thing you want to use on wet hair while blow-drying. The metal heats up  fast, adding excess heat to the hair which promotes hair breakage. Instead of this use a round brush with nylon or boar bristles; they don’t conduct heat as easily but still get the job done.

Tip 4: It is paramount that you treat your hair after you wash and before you blow dry. To do this you can use a lightweight barrier like a leave-in conditioner, anti-frizz serum or heat activated styling lotion to protect the hair cuticle. This also boosts shine after blow drying.

Tip 5: If you have and want to maintain curly hair, avoid blow-drying your hairline with high heat; this straightens it out and even more so every time your blow dry. For the hairline you should reduce the heat to low heat or low air temperature and gently use a brush to brush it out. This would still maintain the curl and get your hair dry.

Tip 6: It would seem easier to point the drier at one part of your hair and leave it there for a faster dry but in reality it isn’t.  You have to keep the drier in motion around your head at all times. Leaving it at one location applies too much heat at once to the hair leaving it dehydrated and difficult to work with.

Tip 7: In this case the phrase “the closer, the better” doesn’t apply. Keep the drier at least 4 – 6 inches away from the scalp. Logically it seems the closer you move to the scalp the quicker it will dry, but this only damages the hair.

In summary, the closer you dry to the hair, the faster the hair dehydrates and damages.

Tip 8: Blow drying hair in all directions will not help your hair. Instead blow dry your hair in a downward motion; this movement helps bend the cuticle flat, look smoother and give off a shiny & neat appearance.

Tip 9: Give your hair a blast of cool air after applying heat from the blow-dry. The heat from the drier opens the holes on your scalp that hold the cuticles in place; this leads to strands of hair falling outh leads to strands of hair easily pulling out. Using cold air closes up these holes back up securing them once again to the scalp.

As much as a trip to the salon leaves you feeling pampered, there are parts of hair treatment that we should know and practice. Got any tips on blow drying hair? Don’t forget to share them.

Photo Credit: essence.com | blackdoctor.org | wikihow.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 33 Comments on “BN Beauty: 9 Easy-Breezy Tips for Blow-Drying Your Hair”

Comments
    • foluke April 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Your pictures fail to represent the texture and type of the Nigerian woman’s hair.

• Teddy Bear April 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

THANK YOU! I was just about to comment on that. Smh….

• dont mention April 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

thanks for the tips…..i always dry my hair with a towel bc i know i wont do a good job blow drying it not knowing that the towel takes out the nutrients too……recently, i decided to treat my hair half at home n half at the salon so i am always looking for new ways to get better at it……
      i did not understand tip 8 though, blowing downward,do u mean with the head tilted back n blow dring from front to back or do u mean with head bent over n blow drying from back to front…….i think its mportant that i understand this so i am making another mistake n damaging my hair……thanks in advance n thanks for the tips…
      vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

• Ella April 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Downwards should be more like working in sections and going from the scalp/roots to the ends of the hair.
        hope this helps! in btw, always use a heat protectant on your hair before applying heat. Best of luck!!!

• dont mention May 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM

thanks ella….it helps alot…..appreciate it

• Bibisanmi April 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

See how gorgeous the hair in the 2nd and last picture is. How healthy and gorgeous, especially the last picture. I just want to run my figners through it. The natural hair brigade will come now and go gangster. Ideological arrogance, forcing your opinions down everyone’s throat. How anyone with functioning eyes can see the last picture and think the person is trying to mimic oyinbo hair beats my imagination. Does that hair in anyway or form resemble oyinbo hair? Can you wake up from a coma and think that is oyinbo hair? I am Team Relaxer and proud. If you want to be Team Natural and proud that’s fine too, there is room for everyone. Don’t invent a high horse for yourself to sit on and most especially and don’t you dare tell me what to do or say I am being inferior. At least I won’t dare tell you, you look ugly for example. We have enough men telling us what to do, women shouldnt add to it. Don’t assume EVERYONE who relaxes their hair has succumbed to self hate. I wish you girls can listen to yourself sometimes. Echoing what Toolz said in her post, we women have invented a new battle against each other. Jennifer dear, thanks for the tips on Blow drying, as someone who is retouching her hair this weekend, I learnt a thing or two

• hmm April 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Im not natural….but listen to yourself….’at least i dont tell you you look ugly for example’ that my friend is the problem!….i grew up around natural and relaxed peeps……and i can say that no one was this way before …if anything the people with relaxed hair are more condescending..some of us call the natural hair ugly, untidy, too african (are we not african?), etc.you even have nicki minaj singing nappy headed hoes in her song…..honestly i dont blame the natural peeps ..im even considering going natural..although its all a personal choice lets not lie the reason we relax our hair is cos of what society says is good….you even commented about how good the pictures look but if its natural it would be bad shey?..that is actually inferior complex talking……trust me im relaxed i just have an open mind and if anything black woman with natural hair get lots of insults from fellow black sisters which is bad….

• XoXo April 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

The hair in that picture actually looks very good if you want to be objective. The thing is you are not being objective. The picture with the blow drier made me go niiiiiiiiice, I like. So, are you saying we are not allowed to like, so that we don’t offend our African roots. Sister please. Natural hair doesn’t make you more African than a girl with relaxed hair. Stop drawing a line in the sand and allow people to make their choices after all it is not your hair. This join our movement by force or we will abuse you is enough. I also think natural hair ladies have taken insults for a long time, they feel it is now their turn to dish it out, now that they are gaining strength in numbers. Guess what, it doesn’t make you a better person than the ones insulting you because of your hair. You’ve just descended to their level and it makes whatever point you try to pass across moot. Calling someone inferior, self hater, brain washed, slavery mentality, not proud of yourself, I can go on an on about the mean things that natural haired girls say to the relaxed girl which is just as bad as you being called ugly, untidy, not professional etc. I have read so many nasty derogatory comments natural haired girls have written and said in conversations when this topic comes up and you would think girls who have gotten flack from other people should know better. The bullied has suddenly become the bully. Let’s learn to appreciate each other’s choices. Your idealism may not be the other woman’s idealism. Give it a rest please.

• Abana April 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM

My hair is natural and I blow dry it all the time. You come across as a very bitter person. Which naturalista hurt you so bad? Whether your hair is relaxed or natural the important thing is that you have a healthy head of hair.
        PS, bellanaija why do you not like to post my comments?

• Ready April 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Because you don’t say things how they want you to present it. Their opinion of your opinion is more important than your honest opinion.

• Oma April 30, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Eh yah….sorry eh…don’t be offended you hear….*pats your back*

• pynk April 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

i prefer air drying my hair

• Dearie April 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Ah Bibi, you need to calm down o!

• dee April 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Indeed Bibi, calm down. I have natural hair, I don’t go around telling people what to do with their hair BUT.. wait for it, the fact is that people are ALWAYS commenting on my hair – that it is not neat, that it is not professional, that men won’t like it. And this is with the hair that comes out of my head the way God intended it!! Tell me if that is not madness and if there is not a society-wide (or worldwide?) looking down on black women’s natural hair, including by black women themselves? And if that does not ORIGINALLY have something to do with colonisation??? (I said originally o before you kill me here)

• XoXo April 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

So, is the solution now to say those mean things to other people too. I get that your first line said you don’t go around telling other people what to do with their hair, before you accuse me of not being able to read, but you have to admit that the bullied has now become the bully. If you want to be objective you’ll notice that it is true. I for one have never ever been nasty or even commented nastily to anyone’s face or behind their back. I even commend them to their face and say, you are trying ooo, I hail you for the effort that you are putting in to maintain your natural hair. and what to I get back in return OMG, the condescending tone, the words that a lot of girls use. There is this lady in my office that is soooooo aggressive about this issue, I just ignore her because she is just dishing out what she has received, and an eye for an eye only creates a town with everyone blind and the crux of the matter is not seen. Number 2, you also have to admit to an extent that it is a “movement”, so whether the intentions are noble or not, in a way you are somewhat guilty of what you have accused the white man and society. When I hear the natural hair convo, the argument is the same, like some form of robotic repetition, like a fad, lets just join the movement because ah, so so so and so. Half the people who shout about it are just repeating what other women have said, without true conviction. How is that different from women who relax their hair because society says so? If you want to be natural to prove a point like @zsa zsa said once on a post on this hair topic you have missed the bus tei tei. Telling me that I am a slave to the white man’s colonisation in 2013 I consider insulting. On the same level as someone saying you are not neat, unprofessional, will not attract men etc

• dee April 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I am so confused by your response to my comments. In what way did I suggest the bullied should become the bullies? I was just suggesting that Bibi should calm down and I was trying to put into perspective the fact that women with natural hair in Nigeria tend to be on the receiving ends of many more unpleasant comments, if only for the fact that we are still the minority and considered ‘odd’. Secondly how one earth did I say people with relaxed hair or weaves are slaves to the white man? My point is about HISTORY, namely that at a point in history black women in Africa and in the diaspora were made to feel that their natural hair was ugly, hence the ORIGINAL DEVELOPMENT of chemicals and other things to try and change the hair texture. As for the movement you refer to, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have been natural for 12 years. I didn’t make a conscious political choice to go natural, I just decided oh I’ll try that style, and I really don’t see how that makes me like any white man or a robot. I don’t think the handful of people going natural in Nigeria constitutes a movement just yet. All in all I am sorry but you are so defensive it makes me wonder… good luck

• Bukie April 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

No mention of a Heat Protectant? You should not bring any direct heat near your hair without using Heat Protectant. Relaxed, Natural or Texlaxed.

• Robos April 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Read tip 4 again…

• molarah April 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Lemme do my best to end the Team Nacchie vs Team Relaxer wars before it gets started…

You ALL are beautiful!

About the post, friction rids the hair of nutrients? Care to explain the science behind that statement?

• nomad April 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I didn’t understand the nutrients vs. towels either. Hair is dead protein abi? The only reason i know people blot hair is to dry hair without tangling. Indeed, hair should be as dry as possible before blowdrying because the less heat used to dry the hair, the better and also blowdrying soaking wet hair can actually weaken the hair shaft.

Also, I’m natural and I’ve heard ALLLLLLL SORTS of comments on my hair, however, the good outweighs the bad. I quietly observe some of the folks with nasty comments have ponytail by fire and by force, the hairline from weaves beginning from the ears and split ends, left right and center from hair where relaxer is overlaid and then overlaid. Some people have gorgeous, healthy relaxed hair and I’m ALL for that. But abeg shift before making snide comments about the hair I take good care of while your hair will not grow past your ears.

• natural ladies dont bother now!!! leave the oyibo wannabes April 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

okay

• you must havereallyfelt... April 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM

shiorr

• you must havereallyfelt... April 29, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Natural versus Relaxed hair, Dreads, Wool, Corn rolls, Premium, Expressions, Pro10, Darling YAki, Bohemian, Brazilian, Peruvian, Mongolian, etc stories na una sabi….wear your hair however comfy you feel about it and your pocket size….sigh…

• zsa zsa April 30, 2013 at 6:26 AM

arrrgh!! this mata again!! Anyway….good tips. I try to air dry my hair most times, my blow dryer just doesn’t do anything for my hair…just dries it out. Like crispy dry.

• nwanyi na aga aga April 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Na wa o. This new war between natural and relaxed hair, i fail to understand. Anyway I dont care if anybody calls me a white man’s slave by relaxing after all Do we not get fashion tips from the same white ppl? I hear ppl quote Joan Rivers here every time so I dont see the Big deal. I shall carry my hair which ever way i choose. I am even considering cutting the hair not cos its damaged though but cos i am tired of the hassles in maintaining the hair.

• Funmi April 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

The fact that a simple article about blowdrying tips has generated emotional rants about feeling victimised or bullied by another “team” just shows that there is self-consciousness and defensiveness on both sides. If something the other person is saying isn’t touching a nerve, why are you so angry? Haba, people cannot post articles about hair tips again???

• tutu April 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

People have time o

• Anon May 2, 2013 at 5:37 PM

@ zsa zsa – I know this sounds counterintuitive but try blowdrying your hair with cool air. I do this all the time and my relaxed hair is loving the “no heat” treatment!

• Hairpalace May 4, 2013 at 6:41 AM

If I only had so much time to do all that I would certainly be a politician,

• tosin May 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM

hi everyone! this is pretty interesting. I wish hair stylists would read this though. at this point in my life, I’m transitioning- going natural, because I’m tired of losing hair. plenty work, but i’m trusting it will pay off in the end! Let’s not hate, ladies. Everyone has a choice.

• Imelda berry May 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Nice thoughts.

uniqueberryhairs.blogspot.com

• Abby September 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for these tips! It is a great reminder that there are several ways that you can blow dry incorrectly, thus depriving yourself of the opportunity to make the most out of this styling tool. With that in mind, I’d like to share this blog post that we’ve posted on the blog that provides a comprehensive guide into different ways you can use blow dryers aside from drying your hair post-shower and we’d love to hear your thoughts: myhaircare.com.au/blog/blow-dryer-more-than-just-for-drying-hair

• Mel Stevens February 5, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Amazing tips, thgank you so much! Now that I have my super fast karmin g3 salon pro blow dryer I’ll try them all out!