Features

BN Prose: Wahala Dey…By Omada

‘I’m pregnant’, I told my friends Ify and Chioma.

‘Eh!’, ‘What!’ both of them exclaimed at the same time.

‘Are you sure?’

‘How do you know?’, they both  asked

‘I took a test yesterday and it confirmed my fears’, I replied

‘Seriously?, what happened?’ Ify asked

‘What do you mean by ”what happened?”, are you a child?’, Chioma told her,’which kain yeye question be that?’

‘What I meant was, didn’t you use protection?’, Ify replied, giving Chioma a dirty look.

‘I don’t even know, I was taking the pills, but I must have made a mistake somehow. Chei! Am in soup!’ I shouted, holding my head in my hands.

‘Chei! Wahala dey o!’ Chioma exclaimed.

‘What are you going to do?’ Ify asked

‘Abort it of course. See question’, Chioma replied,

‘How can you say she should abort it?’, Ify interrupted, ‘What if something goes wrong? Like if she dies or there are complications?’

‘What do you want her to do? Its the easiest…’

‘No its not!’ Ify shouted,’What is wrong with you Chioma?, Sometimes I just won…’

Sensing that an argument was about to start, I cut in, ‘You people are not helping me at all, you are making things worse. I am in a dilemma here and both of you are not helping. I am so confused’.

‘Babe sorry, but wait o, are we not forgetting something here’, Chioma said,’Have you told Lanre?’

‘No’.

‘Why?’

‘What are you waiting for?’

‘If I tell him, I don’t know what he’ll say’

‘Amaka, Lanre is crazy about you. Heck, you said it yourself that the guy is ready to marry you, but you are the one slowing things down’, Ify said

‘Yes, I know, but my family…’

‘This is exactly what I was trying to say’, Ify said, ‘ Amaka, your family, especially your father will kill you if they found out that you were seeing a person who isn’t Ibo and a non-Catholic on top, not to talk of being pregnant for him’.

At that all three of us fell silent. No one in my father’s family had ever married outside our tribe. It was something my father always talked about. He had told my sisters and I that it was a tradition he expected us to continue. None of us his daughters would marry a person who wasn’t Ibo, infact it was unthinkable. In addition, he insisted our husbands must be Catholic as well, because he was a Knight of the Catholic Church, a title that he truly loved, cherished and even worshiped.

‘Your brothers can marry outside our church, after all they are men and a man’s wife must worship where he does. But you my daughters, you cannot try it’.

I didn’t think too much about it, after all ‘it was always easier to marry one from your tribe, and our tribe is a large one with the population predominantly Catholic’, I thought at the time.

That was till I met Lanre. When I met him, everything changed. He was the one. I just knew it. Even though I ran as far as I could and no matter how hard I tried to stop my feelings, I still fell for him and I fell hard.

I couldn’t help it. He was everything I wanted and needed. He was my soulmate.

At the beginning of the relationship, I told my mum about him tentatively, just to get her reaction;

‘Ada-m nwanyi (My first daughter), please, for your sake, end whatever you have with that boy. Biko. Please’, she begged,’ your father will never ever agree. Biko achom nsogbu(I don’t want trouble)’.

But I couldn’t. I tried, but I just could not. And nsogbu (trouble) was exactly what I had brought upon myself.

‘But why is your family like that?’ Chioma asked, ‘my family doesn’t have that kind of tradition or culture or whatever you want to call it. My eldest sister is married to an Ijaw man and my brother’s wif..’

‘Look, we are not interested in your family Chioma’, Ify interrupted ‘your mother doesn’t know yet abi?’ she asked me

‘No, she is coming back from her trip in two weeks; hopefully, I’ll have this sorted out before she finds out’.

3 DAYS LATER.

‘Amaka, are you pregnant?’ My mother asked, ‘Eh? Are you pregnant? Idi meh ( are you pregnant)?’ she asked again in Ibo.

She had been looking at me closely since she came back the previous day. My mother’s eyes were sharper than an eagle’s.

‘Are you pregnant?’, she repeated.

I could not answer, My head was spinning. ‘She wasn’t supposed to come back this soon & how did she notice so fast?’ I asked myself.

‘Come here! You are pregnant abi? Look at your breasts! Look at your face!, Amaka!, I can spot a pregnant woman from faarrrr, even if  the pregnancy is only 2days old!, so answer me, ARE YOU PREGNANT?’

‘Yes’, I answered in a small voice.

‘Hey! This girl has killed me o!’ she shouted, ‘Amaka! Are you ready to be a mother? Are you ready to be a wife? Are you? because you must marry the person responsible o!. My first daughter will not have a child out of wedlock. Mba (no)! It is impossible. You will not disgrace me!’, she said hitting her legs on the ground.

‘Who is responsible? Who is the father?’, she shouted, ‘You better tell me now, before I break your head!’

‘Lan..re’, I stuttered.

At that my mother threw herself back on the couch and starting sobbing loudly.She placed her hands on her head and kept saying, ‘Amaka has killed me, I am finished. Your father will cut off our heads. Chei! God what did I do? God!’

‘WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!’, my father asked in his deep voice.

I jumped at the sound of my father’s voice. Fear rushed through my veins like ice water.

‘Woman, why are you shouting loudly? Did someone die? I could hear your voice from the gate.What did Amaka do?, why are you screaming her name?’

In all the commotion, we didn’t hear my father come in. I looked at my mum, silently begging her not to say a word.

‘Amaka, O gini(what is it)?.  My father asked me, ‘Why is your mother shouting?’.

My mother and i stared at each other in helpless silence. Both of us unsure of what our next words would be…….

Photo Credit: www.corbisimages.com

see wahala.

5. blackberry

September 6, 2010 at 11:09 am

wow….serious gbese lol

6. rethots

September 6, 2010 at 11:24 am

…imagine, she said she wants to go into politics. Infact, she said she has already joined that ‘political party’.

• honey

September 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm

yeh! nice conclusion….

7. jenny

September 6, 2010 at 11:25 am

dis one na real wahala dey,and they should leave the poor girl alone to marry lanre the man of her heart.

8. Ferrari

September 6, 2010 at 11:28 am

Very interesting write-up. i’m so looking forward to the follow-up.
    Abi Bellanaija, no be so?

9. uche

September 6, 2010 at 11:51 am

this is sooo typical of we ibo’s. I should be in the arms of a yoruba man though….but u know now. Infact im tired of the whole thing sef..

• P.E.T.

September 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

But really, wot are the consequences of going against this norm?

10. ruchylicious

September 6, 2010 at 11:53 am

Hmmmmm wat a story. Pls we want the concluding part

11. Ty

September 6, 2010 at 11:54 am

lol……….real wahala…..

12. P.E.T.

September 6, 2010 at 11:57 am

and then Amaka summons the courage and says, “Papa, I’m pregnant, and the father is yoruba… afterall, is it ur body?”
    LOL

Please when are we gettin the concluding part?

13. Tokunbo

September 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Concluding Part please, can’t wait! Nice one.

14. fokasibe

September 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Nsobu di kwa!!!

15. WaleAdeniji

September 6, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Parents cannot always be right. As a matter of fact, they’re not always right. I have seen people who have lost God given partners because of these sort of “don’t marry this, don’t marry that” attitude. Why don’t we allow our kids to make their choices. All we could do is pray for them to make the best choice. It is hight time we remind ourselves that we’re no longer in the stone age . Leave your kids to live their lives, please.

16. LadyTee

September 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm

LOL. I was picturing my mom while reading this. Funny stuff! As an Igbo myself, I get annoyed with the whole tribal nonsense. I already told my folks- just be happy if I bring home a Nigerian- talk less of an Igbo from such and such village- mschewwwwww.

• tinker bell

September 27, 2010 at 1:42 am

u are 100% right

17. justsaying

September 6, 2010 at 12:39 pm

BN Prose is back! Nice way to kick off…way to go!

18. ufedo

September 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

nsobu dikwa! lol

19. Maijidda

September 6, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Very interesting, looking forward to reading the rest.

20. Tommy

September 6, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Wat is this world turning in2? Is the union (Marriage) all about tradition and culture? We do neglect the fact that even those who marry from their tribes, same culture and with the same religious believes do have problems as well, if they are not compatible. Falling in love with yr soulmate & best half, together with divine acceptance is d most important. The body of God is not divided,so why are we elevating d issue of tribal differences? We are bound with love in the Lord. Remember this lyrics “No matter where u come from, no matter yr religion we are 1, let’s stay 2geda”. Hmmn! easier sang or said, than done;Nigerians! Is it not well with us?

21. Hotchocolate

September 6, 2010 at 1:43 pm

ol’ boy see danger o!!!!!!!

very typical of we Ibos,i think our parents should learn to relax. after telling me to marry ibo man now they are begging me to bring anybody home for them for them (very funny).

• Blossom

September 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Trust me. Yorubas do the same… And, I ‘m Yoruba.

• Miss T

February 7, 2011 at 8:31 am

Hahaha! That’s just too funny

22. dami

September 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

nice one lol my mum too it like that she edo and dad is yoruba, she doesnt want me to marry from edo land she says lai lai (never) imagine that!! but my bf whom we talked about marriage is from edo but the funny thing is that i found out he like me his mum is yoruba and his dad is edo, i told my mum this but she doesnt wanna know instead she telling me i shuld consider the son of our family friend who is yoruba kmt!!!! but i kept quiet becuse am waiting for the day that i will tell her and the family friend son of my feelings and if my parent feel shame then tooooo bad ooo

23. nonye

September 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

LOL very funny story, I like the tone. But Please Omada it is IGBO not IBO, also you should get someone to proof read your igbo words so that we dont loose the meaning of what you’re passing across….I almost got lost before I realized you meant “i di ime?” (are u pregnant) LOL Nice story there! cant wait for the continuation.

• Vye

September 10, 2010 at 12:30 am

The language is IGBO and the tribe is IBO

24. lol

September 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Gosh! Wahala dey! when are we getting the concluding part pls??? now i cant wait.. i mma keep stalking this website! lol

25. onyinye

September 6, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Well…i can relate with the same story….my dad is a catholic knight too and he has told me clearly that i am not to marry a non-catholic….and of course the guy has to be Ibo too. Funny enough, a lot of great guys i meet are ibo but they aren`t catholic….now its a problem i don`t know how to handle….cos i really wouldnt want to upset my dad… i love him very much

• miss moe

September 15, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Tell me about it ohh, that is alot of our stories, our parents dont understand that the odds of meeting an igbo catholic, that is also the right one for you is very low. i have lost potentially great people because i love my folks and dont want to hurt them. But now i have mad up my mind not to bother any more if i find the one that i love and he loves me back as long as he is Nigerian and Christian i will not blink!

26. Hawt Nerd

September 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Moreee of the story, plzzzzzzz. And meanwhile all the modern minded people here..I greet una oo. But me, my humble self and I will not go against my parents will for anything in this world. I cannot shout. I will find a way to go about it somehow. Trust me, the young men of today (some shaa) are one of the greatest living risks ever. You “busheet” ur folks and marry him. 5 years after, he will be the one to remind you of it and may even behave so badly, shame will not allow you go home to tell anyone your story. Even if my parents are not always right, the Bible strongly recommends that I obey dem, kapish. That Biblical injunction saying parents should not annoy their kids never said they should obey their kids ooo. All these modern day youths wey sabi pass their parents is all crap, if you ask me. By the time most of us now reach 45, 50 and 60…we start seeing all thoseeeee tinssssss, they were telling us then. I obeyed mine and as I start a family soon, they galsto obey me by fire by force oo..lool……..God willing as He has ordained it that way…

• all in the mind

September 6, 2010 at 9:03 pm

WOW! you took it out of my mouth! i know someone who accepted to marry her husband because of her parents and elders of her family’s approval, especially the women. Mothers see a lot in a man in minutes more than we can see in years as their goal is to prevent us from experiencing the pains they did. So when her husband proposed, It was easier for her to accept. i am happy for her as she is beginning to see they were right about the things they said. Love is good, all that mushi mushi feeling is nice, but when wahala starts, as in REAL WAHALA starts, mushi mushiness doesn’t solve it. Parents are there to guide us in the right paths of life. I don’t want to marry anyone my parents don’t approve of. If you are a particular religion and you are serious about it, i don’t see why you wanna marry someone who isn’t on the same path with you. I respect all religions and i do believe we can all learn from each other but i am not about to marry someone that does not have the same beliefs as me. The father wanting her to marry an ibo man, I understand. But he insisting she marries a catholic man, i think thats up to her to decide.
      Back to the story sha!
      I already know what happened next. . . . .SERIOUSsssss BEATING! lmao! *joking*

• Molicious

September 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm

I think (or hope) what the youth of today are saying is that, if the parents main reason for not letting you marry the guy is his tribe then we need to we really need to do some talking and compromise… But all in all, I do agree with you that parents see things we don’t see, it’s a matter of talking with them and trying to understand and accept their reasons and make them see your side of things as well. But of course this depends on the relationship you have with your parents to begin with so at the end of the day, to each his own.

27. THE AMAKA

September 6, 2010 at 3:50 pm

hahahahaha. rarely do i read write-ups/stories, nice one.

28. Karimah

September 6, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Trust me, Yorubas do d same. And i wonder and ask my mum wat d matter is. Na d same way we Yorubas look @ d other tribes, d others too look @ all. Would they all just let us d children live our lives????

29. Moi

September 6, 2010 at 5:16 pm

lol! I hope the wedding went well. This was a lovely read!

30. click

September 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm

He should just tell his parents the pregnancy is for a Japanese or Frances or Australia.. ALSO TELL them.. he is either Hindu, Budha, atheist etc guy and they will be wishing it was someone closer home… maybe somewhere in the continent of Africa! Not that there is anything wrong with those other people.. but I know we all want sth we are familiar with.. but in life change is a constant and we have to embrace it.

31. Chantel

September 6, 2010 at 5:20 pm

[email protected]….my peeps r alright wiv anyone so long as he’s xtian…at least so I thot till I told mom I was gettin’ on wiv an Ibo guy(Im yoruba)…she almost fainted..lol!!!

Anyways they r safe now as Im getting married to a Yoruba guy…honestly though I would have married the Ibo guy if I liked him enough…wats d fuss about anyway??

Omada you totally rock but could please not be ‘too cliche’ with the concluding part??Lets have it wiv a twist k? Thx+ cant wait!!!

32. A!

September 6, 2010 at 6:27 pm

nice!!!
    would love to read the concluding part

33. cuteb

September 6, 2010 at 6:34 pm

luv luv….so luv this write up. I am luking 4ward to the concluding part. I am igbo n catholic…this is so typical. hmmm.i tire.

34. Naijafairy

September 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Opari! Apart from the pregnancy issue, this prose just described my parents, ibo, catholic, knights. And i am dating a Spanish guy. Conclusion: F*ck my life.

35. jennietobbie

September 6, 2010 at 8:56 pm

hahahaha…serious wahala.! I don’t want to start imagining what happened next! Waiting…….as long as it’ll take!lol

I’m Catholic, Ibo and I hope (and pray) that my parents will not play this role in my life else….. I’m going to the convent! haha

36. Yt "Boss"

September 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Yoruba folks do this too! Mine would prefer a guy from my village. If it were possible to marry my cousin, i’m sure they wont object (kidding!). But it has never occurred to me to go against them. They will get their wish after all, it is just as easy to love a Yoruba guy as it is to love a Hausa or an Ibo one.

37. mariaah

September 6, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Lol @ Naija fairy..That’s a tad ****ed but God dey…
    Omada Omaye mi!!!welldone! but you can like to write the remaining part though, whether its going to be a book or on BellaNaija.. thanks

38. medina

September 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm

i’m muslim yoruba who married christian Ghanian…… who cares???? except my hausa colleagues!!!!!! my reply to them when disturbed is: im thinking of becoming a rosicrucian………..what is wrong with the world??????? for all dy care, i could have become the 4th wife of a pervet.

• medina the 2nd

September 7, 2010 at 8:35 am

How did your parents take it? I’m Muslim Yoruba involved with an Anglican Igbo and I don’t know how to even say it!

39. misstee

September 7, 2010 at 12:03 am

nice read.

40. Slim

September 7, 2010 at 9:28 am

Dats was very interesting, can’t wait for the concluding part of it. Job well done.

41. Keyshia

September 7, 2010 at 1:21 pm

LWKMD with this write up and all the comments.. Well i think its better to always listen to our parent (from experience). I am a yoruba girl and I once dated an igbo guy that meant the whole world to me. Everybody in my family including pets knew much i loved him but my mum was nt so comfortable with d relationship but i was adamant i was in this relationship for 8years and at the peak of planning our wedding he bolted. Now i hv wasted a whole part of my life on him and write now i am above 26 and still single. If only i had listened to my parents then maybe…just maybe. This time around my dear i wouldn’t dare…..obey your parent IN THE LORD abi no be so?

• Naijafairy

September 8, 2010 at 5:28 am

I feel ur pain, but there is nothing wrong being 26 and single, the idea that women should be married almost immediately they become adults is old, i believe in fulfilling lots of my ambitions before i decide to fulfill someone else’s by becoming a wife, i get that the biological clock might be ticking as they say, but it is 2010, enjoy the beauty of being single and independent, there is a right man for you out there! 🙂

42. double 2

September 7, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Can’t wait to see how the story will end! good job.
    Its funny that even though a lot of people in our parent’s generation are not necessarily enjoying their marriages(they married within their own tribe o!), they still have the audacity to point to tribe as a basis for marital success. Having said that, we all know it takes extra effort and hardwork for intertribal marriages to work; but if you are ready to give it all it takes, hey! why the hell not.

43. Aibee

September 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Moooooooooooore.
    I’m Yoruba & my mother has said I must marry from “Ile Kaaro, O jire”. My maternal granny says she cant “wave the white handkerchief oh”, lol. I’ve told them all not ot worry. I’ll be marrying an Italian or Frenchman or something.

44. busola

September 7, 2010 at 9:35 pm

nice story.. Reminds me of my mum who keeps singing to my ears that I cannot marry outside the yoruba tribe, even my grandmother says it, and my dad would take any guy provided he isn’t igbo. I just wonder why…I have listened to them, I wouldn’t lead any guy who isn’t yoruba on coz i know nothing will come out of it..I am not ready to fight my parents because of a guy.. Right now, I’m with a yoruba guy.

45. Kloi

September 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Finally a simple prose … nice
    as my aunt will say ” we are all one Nigeria ” in a very non -convincing voice.

46. Faith Bazuaye

September 8, 2010 at 11:15 am

I just want 2 say that there are certain things in life that will always remain the same, like this “don’t marry outside your tribe” & a couple others…………….which to me is sad. Yes fine do not go against your parents, mind you these things have been in place long before your parents came in existence(pardon me to say those that settled for it were more or less brain-washed, which is just weak). Have it in mind that these laws were put in place by illiterates & i believe there should be a difference in our thinking for those who are educated. Am not saying be rebellious to your parents but i mean there are things you should be able to decide for yourself, that is why it’s YOUR LIFE to LIVE(it is you that is in the position to conclude, they are to suggest).

47. medina

September 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm

medina the 2nd: my Father gave me away on at the church wedding BUT we had to perform the nikkai ceremony as well. turned out i had three weddings with three marriage certificates so, i present the court certificate only. Just pray to God and u’ll overcome

48. lolo1

September 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

OMG!!!!! nice suspense!!! continue pls!!!

49. LeighJoy

September 11, 2010 at 6:49 am

this is fab…continuez…….. i can’t wait 🙂

50. Omada

September 16, 2010 at 12:47 am

thanks all! i appreciate the comments esp. the constructive criticisms. points taken!

51. franca

September 16, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I dont know y this is very common among the ibos, they are so tribalistic and most of them catholics. Infact my parents fall in this category and i must tell you that they still ague with their children when it comes to marriage and the church they would want their chidren to do the wedding. For me, i dont think i would make my children to suffer when their time comes bcos i want their happiness. I think the parents to this lady should allow her to marry Lanre.

52. mike

September 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm

is it right for a woman to hold a man responsible for getting her pregnant in a relationship

53. mike

September 29, 2010 at 12:48 pm

in a relationship where marrage is not on table, is it right for a woman to hold a man responsible for getting her pregnant while a woman can also protect herself.

54. hawy

September 29, 2010 at 4:38 pm

nice piece.am a hausa girl(mum is calabar) in love with a …..(thats for another day) n my younger sister is getting married to a yoruba guy. i like the fact that we embrace diff cultures in our families and come to appreciate God creatures.

55. Seshe James

October 2, 2010 at 11:16 am

Fantastic story……… More plzzzzzzzz

56. Temmy

October 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Loooool, this was really goood.
    im yoruba and i was loving the little igbo language you put in there.
    WAHHAAALAAA O!!!
    looool, good job. keep it up.

57. Beautifull

October 11, 2010 at 9:54 am

Mehln…dis story na wah.Me nko?i’m ibo,in a relationship with an ibo guy,buh wait for it…I”m not catholic!!!I”m Anglican..My mum almost did back flips when i told her,and she has since been avoiding the issue.His folks want an Anambra girl who’s catholic.See me see drama.We’ve been together for 4yrs now,and i’m this close to walking away.I don’t want to end married to th man i love at the expense of family peace.I just tire for this whole mata..walai.Maybe i should just go find me a handsome Buddhist guy from Venezuela and settle all d wahala,abi?

58. sway

October 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm

nice one…like 2 know where it all ends….

59. Mariamah

November 2, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Hausa’s do the same. can,t wait for the remaining story

60. Binti

November 4, 2010 at 5:59 pm

This whole tribal issue is so annoying – I might just become a lesbian. *evil laughter*

Nice prose 🙂

61. angelsbeauty

November 13, 2010 at 9:56 am

yekpa! lol.. nie write up….. any girl’s worst night mare. The restriction on who you can and can’t marry is not cool jare. My mum also wants me to marry a yoruba man and my dad well.. to him.. i am too young to think about marriage so he hasn’t said anything about it… but it limits the choices.. i see their point and all.. and as a good child i’ll try my best to obey them :p

62. sacharine

January 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

good story, but i believe people should actually listen to their parents. I know someone who went against her parents suggestions not to marry a guy from a different tribe, she’s ibo, and he’s yoruba. She then stopped talking to her father for this guy.Bear in mind her dad had given her everything she could ask for, sent her to the best schools etc etc.. Do you know that this guy ended up beating her constantly to the point she would end up in the er. Then when she was pregnant for him, he would still be abusive. She was very depressed and gained a lot of weight and he would insult her. He would accuse her of stealing his money if she opened any of his mail etc..unbelievable, but after fighting with her whole family to be with this guy, she was so ashamed to leave him and is still with him to this day

• God's annointed

May 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

My take on this whole issue is, if the parents have a problem with a particular person thats different from having a preconceived prejudice before you have even met the person. The bible tell us in Christ ther is no Jew nor Greek, bond nor free…….what is tribe anyway? You marry the person not the tribe (even though tribal influences have contributed to who the person has become). As long as you know that its God ordained………

63. DiamondDust

April 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I disobeyed my parents and am regretin it.

64. DonK

August 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Mehn, being a Nigerian and living in Nigeria can be really tough. Lord help us.

65. cuteness

November 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm

serzly….did nt like d end

66. cuteness