Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Sing to Me Oh Canary!

Atoke

I don’t know about you guys but there’s a certain feeling of glee that descends upon my soul as the month draws to a close. You see for us Nine-To-Fivers, that Pay Week is fantastic and Pay Day itself is simply glorious! Being broke is NOT fun at all and have you noticed that it’s when you’re broke that things will start appealing to you? Sea food Okro, new hand bag, friend’s bridal shower, million braids? Interestingly I was not alone in this state of being broke. My friend Tola said food had finished in her pantry and all she had left was cereal.

Abeg, can 25th quickly arrive? Otherwise, I’ll eat this stupid gold fish“.
What gold fish?

Apparently, her boyfriend had bought her a gold fish to teach her to be responsible for something other than herself. His initial plan was to get her a puppy but he figured that it was better to start small with Tola. If he’d brought the puppy she’d probably have killed it by now. The gold fish had made it to the 3-week line. I am very proud of her, this is the first pet she has not tried to kill by forgetting to feed.

When I was much younger I loved having pets in the house. We had dogs and it wasn’t bad taking care of them. Somewhere along the line I got a kitten, which I loved to bits because it was constantly rubbing its fur on my body. It was also very neat and was very clingy. Until, one day, I accidentally killed it. We had those large swing back doors and I didn’t realize the cat was following me and I just let the door go. It was the squeak of the cat that made me turn around. I cried so hard, gave it Panadol and warm milk… nothing worked. My cat died and I resolved not to ever love any pet again. For me, owning pets is just emotionally tasking. Especially the ones that end up being eaten during holidays. Imagine nursing, loving and nurturing rabbits, ducks and chickens only to find that by the next holiday they’d be sitting on your plate.

“Mummy, is that Fluffy’s cousin you’re cooking?”
“No, honey, that’s Fluffy herself!”

It is well!

Some people believe that pet keeping is un-African and that it’s just “Lonely Oyinbo people” who keep pets seeing as they don’t have the large extended family system.
Then there’s also the school of thought of what can appropriately be deemed a pet? I know some Nigerians wont keep cats because they believe there’s some diabolical spirit attached to the felines. (I blame the 90s TV show Lynx for that). Is a goat a pet? seeing as you guys will probably kill it for New Year’s day? What about chickens? I mean, you feed them, they run around the house, and they have names (I don’t know about you city people but in Ogbomosho, our chickens have names). Some people have parrots and canaries! That’s so cute honestly!

Then, there’s the care and cleanliness of the pets. If you keep pets, you have to be ready to clean up after them. Abroad, if you have a dog, you better  be ready with a poop bag to clean up after the dog when it does the nasty on the streets or you get fined.

Do you have pets? What pets do you have? Would you get pets for your kids? Share some of your favourite pet keeping stories with me. Oh and if you could get a pet right now what would it be?

Have a fabulous week ahead and let’s have a ball when salary comes!

Peace, Love & Cupcakes!

Toodles!

Photo Credit: masterfile.com

1. mia

July 22, 2013 at 9:42 am

i’ve never loved animals, any animal, just count me out. i usually say that if my husband owned a dog or something, if he has to go out of town, he better pack the dog along cos the ‘aja’ go just die before he reurns cos i won’t remeber to feed it.

• esther

September 9, 2013 at 11:09 pm

lol…you got me in stiches,,i dont like pets too

2. Fashionista

July 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

I grew up with many dogs and I looooved them. Right now i desperately want a small/cute Terrier! the only thing stopping me is I know that given my current lifestyle, I wont be able to dedicate enough time to loving and caring for her. So for now I shall refrain.

• Noni

July 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Same! I’ve always loved animals and I want a cute yorkshire terrier eventually but I’m moving around too much/ away from home to take care of one. I have a pet spider called Lilith and I know some people think it’s weird but they’re so low maintenance. They don’t make noise, don’t smell, you only have to clean out their tank once a year, mine fasts for a couple of months in winter and when she’s not fasting, she only eats once a week. Also if you feed them loads before you travel they’ll be alright for up to two or three weeks, plus they don’t care for your company enough that you’ll feel bad if you leave them for ages. Of course the downside is that you can’t cuddle them but they’re soooo fascinating to watch.

• deep

July 23, 2013 at 7:00 am

Eh? Spider??? Chimo!!!

3. Neo

July 22, 2013 at 9:50 am

I was a huge dog lover as a kid, I had so many puppies. Would make clothes for them using my socks, bath them till they were threadbare. I even used to back them! As in put dog for back tie wrapper on top. Chai! My last puppy was called Chuckie (after d evil doll but our dogs were always “ie” Jackie, Suzie) Anyway Chuckie and I were inseparable, when I got back from school he would run out to meet me and I would take him on long bicycle rides with him in d front hamper. Then one day I got home and Chuckie was nowhere to be found and everyone was avoiding me. Turned out he strayed into our neighbours compound and their bulldogs got him. Haven’t had a dog since then, anytime I think of getting one the work of looking after them puts me off.

My Mom loved cats, well I think she kept them more as rat assasins rather than pets. Those things terrorized me sha, I spent the better part of those days hopping on chairs, tables and beds to avoid them. Then my brothers tormented them till they all ran away. It was bad oh, this particular one they put in a bag, tied to d fan then switched it on for minutes. That cat came out cross eyed. There were so many stray cats on our street then pple would shout “Neo, make una come carry una pussy oh!” Lol! My brothers were evil sha, let me not get started on what they did to my dolls, we are still thanking God none of them ended up as serial killers.

• Dora the explorer

July 22, 2013 at 10:41 am

OMG!!! Neo! this cracked me up!!
      I love cats so so much!!! They are neat and very graceful.. Ill prolly get one when I can afford to buy the finest pedigree for her/him..

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

You used to back your dogs? *wipes tears if laugher from my eyes* And your brothers’ feline escapades… That was shockingly mean but so funny…

• purplepearl

July 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Hahahahahahahahaha, your brothers are mean!!!! Very funny comment though

4. Thatgidigirl

July 22, 2013 at 9:56 am

If I could get a pet right now it wld be a parrot so it can call my gateman’s name when I want my gen turned on or off. I swear that guy is either deaf or just annoying! Oops I digress….

• ChaCha

July 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

ROTFLMAO!!! CLOWN!!!

• Tiki

July 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

looooool! That’s hilarious…

• Busarni

July 22, 2013 at 10:45 am

My dear we are in the same boat ooh. Gatemen always pretendin de dnt hear; buh weneva i tip him. the whole day he will answer even when he is not called. as in always available. so i suggest yu tip him or give him some take away once in a whyl. dats my own little PR.

• deep

July 23, 2013 at 7:13 am

You’re making the problem worse- overcompensating a person for doing the wrong thing…

5. Teris

July 22, 2013 at 10:00 am

not a pet person. but now, a goldfish… seems sufficiently low-maintenance.

6. Amy

July 22, 2013 at 10:12 am

OMG Neo you have killed me today. Your brothers did that to the poor cat?!!!

7. ij

July 22, 2013 at 10:16 am

i love dogs , we have always had dogs, at the moment we have Roger “Satan with four legs” , only God knows where my daddy got him from , we just came home one day and he said ehen i got a new dog, my daddy spent the next few days holding the dog when we wanted to go out or come in because it went mad anytime it sighted any of us .
    i will definitely have a dog in future sha the sane ones are lovely

8. Olori

July 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

I love cute little puppies. Lil bro and I had one when we were growing up. We named her Lizzy. Lizzy was very pretty and she had a colour patch on her forehead just like Beauty, the horse. She loved to hop around and play a lot but she was high maintenance cos she wouldn’t eat left overs. She liked her special dog milk warmed up and mixed with raw egg. We woke up on saturday morning and Lizzy was gone. Apparently, mum took her back to the pet store cos she was becoming too expensive to manage. *sad*
    Ever since, I looked forward to getting married and having a dog in my own house. Unfortunately though, my ‘oga’ is scared of dogs. Tough luck. *pouts*

9. TA

July 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

@ Neo, your comment had me in stitches! LooooL ha ! ha!ha! Your brothers sound just like mine…will make a perfect tag team :
    Atoke dear,Having pets its not an oyibo thing o.I am as Nigerian as they come but I like dogs,scratch that,make it love! I love dogs. Grew up loving dogs because we always had dogs growing up. Ours was that house in the neighbourhood that people avoided because of our dogs. We still have dogs till date. Lol! Of all the dogs we’ve ever had,my favourite remains Ginger. A fierce but loyal alsatian bitch. She was the best dog ever… during those stormy teenage years,she would gently nuzzle my hands,stare deep into my eyes and sit quietly by me as if she could understand what i though my parents couldn’t. Lol! Oh dear! Ginger was such a sweet dog. when she died at the ripe age of 11,i was away on NYSC,i cried my eyes out when i got back.
    I live by myself now,so its impossible to care for a dog at the moment becasue of my hectic schedule,i miss having a pet though. I hope the man i will marry wont mind having a pet. 🙂

10. eniola

July 22, 2013 at 10:43 am

LMAO @ thatgidigirl. We never had pets but i love cats and wouldn’t mind getting one.

11. Ani

July 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

@ Neo you cracked me up with the cat on the fan story. Thinking that was it, then i read that of ‘Thatgidigirl’ and my colleagues tot i was crazy the way i laughed out loud. Thanks for sharing guys. @ Atoke thanks for making my morning.

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

July 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

“I cried so hard, gave it Panadol and warm milk… nothing worked. My cat died and I resolved not to ever love any pet again”. Reading that made me chuckle.

Did you know that if cats were larger than humans they would hunt us down and eat us? I found out that fun fact a while ago and started treating cats with suspicion thereafter. However, like you, I had a kitten when I was in Uni (of all places) & my parents hated cats so I used to sneak it home with me in my handbag & hide it in my room until one day it shot out and gave mumsie the fright of her life. So Mimi (that was her name) had to live outside in the garage. And then she started getting a bit feral & having litters of kittens, etc so I’m ashamed to say that I abandoned her when we moved from that house.

Pets are expensive, mehn… if you live here, they need insurance, vet appointments, Pedigree chum… unless you have a bird. And what good are those? Of couse, living abroad, you hear all kinds of crazy stories of what kinds of pets people keep and let me close by sharing one.

A couple of years ago, there was an item in the local paper about a young girl in the suburbs who had a pet python. She must have got it when it was a baby or some-such but she basically started noticing strange behaviour as it grew older. She would lie down on the floor and the python would lie right next to her, stretching itself out straight. It continued doing this and then started shedding its skin in the process, and also stopped eating which made her worry so she took it for an appointment with whatever doctor cares for such animals. Only to get there and be told that her python had been shedding its skin and stopped eating because it was preparing for a big meal by measuring itself against her and stretching itself until it could grow to the proper size required to eat her. True story.

Just get a dog people. It saves untold anguish at the end of the day….

• creamy

July 22, 2013 at 12:14 pm

CHOI! at your snake story

• Bleed blue

July 22, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Blood of Jesus eh! That python matter

#GoosebumpsAndNotTheGoodKind

• CarliforniaBawler

July 22, 2013 at 5:58 pm

OMG!! I actually screamed out loud on the python story!! That is the creepiest thing ever!! I am going to copy and email that part of your text to my friends…..i mean dangggg!!!
      I have always thought there was something unnatural about humans and animals cohabiting…but of all animals, I have an intense hate for cats mehn! one time I actually dreamed I killed a cat with my bare hands (some Samson-like stunts…hehehe) my friends say I have extreme violent tendencies to be have had that kind of dream, I’m like I don’t care oh, just shows if push comes to shove and zombie apocalypse happens guess who’s going to be one of the top-dogs?? lol.
      One a related note, I have been kind of lonely lately (everybody is gone for the summer 🙁 )so I thought of getting a pet….the best I could come up with was a Plant….yup! I’m going to the store today to buy me a pretty plant to love and show some tlc 😀

• CarliforniaBawler

July 22, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I have always thought there was something unnatural about humans and animals cohabiting…but of all animals, I have an intense hate for cats mehn! one time I actually dreamed I killed a cat with my bare hands (some Samson-like stunts…hehehe) my friends say I have extreme violent tendencies to have had that kind of dream, I’m like I don’t care oh, just shows if push comes to shove and zombie apocalypse happens guess who’s going to be one of the top-dogs?? lol.

• Ready

July 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Eeewww! Daaammmnn!

• geeky

July 22, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Spooky!!!

13. B!

July 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

We never had pets. Unless you count the cockroaches that infested our house on a daily basis. Always wanted one though.

• uh-huh

July 22, 2013 at 6:11 pm

hahahahahahaha…….my own na mosquito we dey bite the living heck out of us …i want a bigger one that will eat up the others lol

14. ij

July 22, 2013 at 11:13 am

To be honest i’m skeptical about anyone who cant stand pets, any pet

• nwanyi na aga aga

July 29, 2013 at 8:45 am

Why? because I cant! I dont have the strength nor patience

15. Sir Farouk

July 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

I have had a parrot when I was 4 and it died, I had a cat when I was 6 and I m not sure but I believe it jumped from our high rise and we never found it. We had a dog and my dad gave it out cos it was way too destructive. lol.

16. BN at work

July 22, 2013 at 11:35 am

i;m not a pets person and i am ever sooo scared of dogs. my ex had a parrot and it didn’t require a lot of care…thought i wont say i was attached to it.

17. Amaka

July 22, 2013 at 11:40 am

I grew up having cats, dogs, parrots, canaries,chickens and lil fishes. I loved them all!

18. Person

July 22, 2013 at 11:47 am

Never had pets. We didn’t keep pets we couldn’t eat. E.G Chickens, Goats, Pigs etc. My grandma in the village had dogs and cats too but I was terrified of them, so she stopped keeping them.

Now that I am older, I can stand well kept dogs so long as I get to give them back at the end of the day. Cats though, never! To my mind, they are evil. I know that is irrational but kanye shrug o jare!

19. Abiola

July 22, 2013 at 11:55 am

hmmm…we had a dog then when we moved to our own house years back, myself and my siblings named the dog ‘ Genius we so much loved this dog henhen..d dog sleeps on our bed, eat with us on the table, followed us everywhere, we do virtually everything together, my parents got tired of talking us out of the fact that it was just a dog cus we didn’t listen.One day, can i ever forget dt day even as i dey type this,*teary eyes* ‘Genius’ followed me out, went to get something from aboki, i crossed the road and Genius being an animal didn’t look both ways, she crossed immediately after me, a moving car swept her up, i watched my dog died right in front of me,i went home crying, people kept telling me sorry,eyar pele , i just couldn’t hold it, when i got home, the first thing my brother asked me was ‘Sis, where is Genius’..i couldn’t even ans him, and when i managed to reply, he fainted, it took d grace of God and that my mum was home to revive him, for days we mourned Genius, ever since…we never ever loved another pet and i still blame myself for the death of Genius…#sad much#

20. The Mask

July 22, 2013 at 11:57 am

@Neo: LMAO! My Mum hates dogs with a passion. I remember when we were younger and we disturbed my Grandma so much she bought us a puppy without our Mum’s knowledge. We planned to hide the dog until we were able to convince her to love and accept it as a part of the family, but for where?! Mum got back home that night and thought she saw a rat in the living room, she started searching frantically until my Granny said “Moni, it’s just a puppy” Mum picked the pup, stormed furiously out of the house, through the gate and threw it on the road around 10pm! 🙁 , the poor fighter found its way back home though and was allowed to spend the night (amidst murmuring and grumbling of course). Granny returned it as early as 6am. Mum loves rabbits though( she had them as pets growing up), she loves them so much she built them a big cage and hired a caretaker for them. Psheeew!

21. Lavender

July 22, 2013 at 12:05 pm

my dad had 3 dogs, Trouble, yankie and disco. Yankie was built for hunting, Disco was fierce and Trouble was an all night officer. i was scared of Disco she was the jealous type, Trouble was gentle and Yankee used to giv me the cold shoulder pretty much kept to himself. Yankee was shot dead, Disco it was a hit and run and Trouble well, my dad got a transfer and so we moved to a new town, Trouble didnt lyk the idea and so he stayed back but died of loneliness and hunger. My dad used to check on him occasionally since he moved to our ex neighbors house. My cousin got a dog and she named him Key, he died latter on and he was quite friendly. my family got a puppy from the village and he was stolen. never saw him again. Mom got a puppy for my little brother and the poor thing died coz he would not stop giving it a bath, he had named it Alf. Now he has another dog, built for the kill well i am scared of this one. My sister is something else! well ther’s this guy who is so scared of dogs that we used to walk him out of the gate coz of our dog. one day he did not realize that radder was seating jst a little out of view from the door quietly. I was in the bedroom and i heard this noise just to find the guy seated at the dining table trembling. My dad had to walk him out of the yard. wen i asked my sister what had happened she said” can u imagine that radder was on his back, the only thing missing was a rapper” the next time he came around he told us that wen he was visiting his brother at the coast he was beaten by two dogs and he even showed us the markings on his leg. i have lived with dogs all my life bt i jst dnt seem to get along with them. I dnt want a cat either coz my gran has thoz and they always occupy my bed “not nice”.

22. comment awaiting moderation!

July 22, 2013 at 12:18 pm

“Thatgidigirl comment,cracked me up more than the actual boring story!

23. Esther

July 22, 2013 at 12:24 pm

When I can afford to and hoping hubby agrees, I want at least 2 dogs, a parrot, monkey and a horse. Oh, and a cute lion cub ( will donate it to a zoo after a few months though)…lol. I no go fit.

24. Cat on a hot tin roof

July 22, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Awww, this takes me back. We had dogs growing up too. Popsie and Lanky. Our silly vet gave us both but Popsie had some skin infection and was very sickly so after shedding loads of money to simply keep him well, my Dad decided to take him on a long drive and abandon him. Very heartbreaking. Lanky on the other hand was great, we got him as a puppy, he was making great progress although he was very passive. We loved him, used to hand carry him all the time, make him great food (I suspect better than what we ate sometimes) and then Mummy dearest happened to him. My brother was ill. She mixed my brother’s food with his prescribed medication. He ate only a little and Mummy being mummy gave the rest to the dog. He died. We were so traumatised. We never kept any animals after that, well, apart from an antelope we inherited. The antelope was the worst pet to keep…very stubborn…it also died in the rain one night. I think we were destined not to have animals.

• Bellabells

July 22, 2013 at 1:06 pm

ANTELOPE ke??LOL!

25. tt

July 22, 2013 at 1:02 pm

we had a goat.. given to us by my grandma… i used to play teacher and student wiv the goat… i flogged the living hell outta the goat… One day, I was asked to go give the goat yam peels… I went and rubbed the yam peels on my body… I was itching the whole evening till dey rubbed palm oil on my body…we ended up killing it for my sister’s 10th bday… I ddnt miss the goat but the flogging… we had a cat tho before the goat… it died – the neck got stuck in one of the holes where we used to keep the pumping machine

• Bleed blue

July 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Jeez! Bad enough you used to flog “the living hell” out of a defenceless animal but you actually go ahead and say you miss the flogging?

Wow! Nnkan mbe o

• Tolu

July 22, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Lol! As in WTF?
      Can someone say animal cruelty??

Hope y’all know kids who torture animals are more likely to become serial killers/ just lack empathy for others

26. TA

July 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I am with you on this. Same way am wary of anyone between the age of 20 to 35 that has no social media account or presence. I mean you dont have to be present in all the social media sites but at least have one account. But i digress,sorry ojare. Ha! The man i marry better like dogs o,because i plan on having at least 2. 🙂

• PYT

July 22, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Well i am female and mid 20’s and i dont have any social media account because they are boring. I got bored and deleted them all a few years ago. Anything wrong with that?

• TA

July 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm

@ PYT, .. Like i said was am wary of such people. LOL! And by the way as long as you read this blog (BN) and left a comment,then you have a ‘presence’ on social media. Ha! 🙂 Guess you did’nt know social media includes blogs?! I laugh in Pekinese…

27. charming

July 22, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I used to love puppies…i still do dou,bt in movies or documentary…ask me why? i wud tell. ok!!!!! when i was 10, i had friends who wre next door neighbors, bt my parent wont let me go see them, bcos @ the tym the owners of my friends house seemed very creepy….they had dogs, cats nd it was believed dat they wre possessed…so it was forbidden to go close to the house. one day me being me, i went to the house cos i had calculated, haven surveyed the building…they had caged the big dogs and left two small small, in my mind i was thinking that they were to small to bite…..James Blond(ME-bond for male,blond for me) entered the compound and these dogs started following me, they became too close for comfort ,all the warnings and horrid tales my mom told flooded my memory, i started running….they chased my life. i ran 9 times round the house screaming!!!HELP!!!!!!!! WHEW. God saved me. Since then no love again for dogs or weda small or big.

• OmogeNaija

July 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm

lol, James Blond, you lost it when you started running

28. Yoruba Geh

July 22, 2013 at 2:11 pm

dad got miss cat basically because d landlord evicted us with a short notice and we ad to move into our uncompleted flat as dad said no more paying rents..rats!!!they wan kill us so dad got miss cat…gosh!i could not stand them oo….the annoying thing was waking up in the morning and stepping on their poo…smells like HELL!
    Buh truth be told,they served their purpose….one day,mum just finished peeling beans for moinmoin and i was to go grind when miss cat climbed d kitchen cabinet and low and behold started eating the crayfish on the beans…mum came in and grabbed miss cat ooooo…waved her in the air several times and the next thing we heard was poooo on the floor….miss cat stopped breathing
    mummy started saying ha!baba yin ma soro simi!mo ti pa olongbo!of kos we were very happy!
    the cat got up 15 minutes later….it actually fainted!
    phew…..we continued packing shit oh!until one day it went out and neva came back!now that is not a pet fa!nuisance!

• Olori

July 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

ROTFL

• Plush

July 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm

• CarliforniaBawler

July 22, 2013 at 11:40 pm

hahahaha…..I loff you die!! lmao!!

• adelegirl

July 23, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Laughed the hardest at this comment and still laughing as I type! What on earth??? LMAO!!!

• MAMS

July 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Hahahahaha gosh I actually shed tears as I read ur comment… U’re one helluva cracka! ROFL still…

29. fondest

July 22, 2013 at 2:37 pm

We have 2 turtles and 4 Goldfish that we feed and change their water regularly. i would love to have a parrot some day.

30. bnigerian

July 22, 2013 at 2:55 pm

We had a village of dogs…started with Charlie (a female, ask my bro why he named her that) given to us by a family friend. She got pregs by a neighbourhood stan I guess and that was how we had a whole VILLAGE of dogs. Charlie had “kids” with her sons, her grandsons, name it! Now I know why the term “bi**h” is used the way it is. LOL! We had Charlie, Bingo, Poskie, Jack, Biggie, Doggie, and and maaaannnnyyyy more. We all loved dogs, great times! Charlie was given to an neighbour from the South at the ripe age of 13…erm, he was given Charlie to kill and cook :(.
    Mom’s got us cats as well, Chima was the first…poor thing died then she got us 2 more…the rivalry between the cats and the dogs was too much so the poor cats fled for their lives.
    Mom also had sheep LOL!! These ones are a whole different story LOL! All funny memories though.
    I would get a pet dog but the responsibility of caring for them here is a lot! Maybe when we have kids. Cats though? I wouldnt mind but I think getting one cat sets you well on your way to being an old cat lady so errr, nope.
    Nice one, Atoke! Thanks 🙂

• bnigerian

July 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm

a neighbour*

31. Guys Perspective

July 22, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Dogs, Dogs, Oh how much I love those wonderful creatures….I have always had them around me, when I was growing up in gidi, we had German Sherpherds and Doberman pinschers, and I remember in my area folks would bring out there dogs to see whose German Shepherd (aka Alsatian) were the largest. Now I own two cute little beings, a coton de tulear and a Yorkie Cotton mix, I wish I could put up their pictures on here. Next stop for me is horses…

32. Miss Anonymous

July 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Hmm…where do I start? While I was in primary school, we had 2 local dogs, Sfem and Oscar. My aunt took Sfem to Ibadan to cross breed with her alsatians and that was the last we ever saw of her. I believe they must have eaten her! Come to think of it, when my aunt was leavung we tried and tried to coax her into the vehicle, but she wouldn’t budge, then we put a piece of meat inside and off she went! Oscar later died of some illness and I remember crying.
    In primary 5, my brother got me a tortoise whom I fed garri and kept in a drawer – until I was advisedto keep it outside for sunlight. I then put it in a watering can (don’t really know what I was thinking). Anyway it rained heavily one night and the tortoise drowned. My brother then gave me a second tortoise which escaped and we never found it.
    Fast forward to university I brought home 4 puppies all at different times and my mom fell in love with them. One was named Afin (Yoruba for albino) as she was really white and had pale eyes which never seemed to focus. At some point we even thought she was blind as she used to run into the walls and was always chasing her tail. At some point in uni, I bought 2 parrots but soon lost interest as they weren’t the singing type. I think I forgot to feed them after a while and they died.
    It’s interesting though, dogs are very much like humans. I remember when one of them (another one named Oscar) died after a brief illness the other 3 dogs were quiet throughout the day just like they were in mourning.
    Unfortunately all the dogs died miserable deaths, one was hit by an okada, while Afin crawled out under the gate and never returned. We suspect she must have landed in someone’s pepper soup pot!
    I also got two gold fish a few years ago which died in quick succession. They were very stressful anyway, always had to change the water every 2 days otherwise it made the whole room stink!
    Right now I have a little lhasa that I love to bits.

33. teekay

July 22, 2013 at 3:31 pm

lol @“Mummy, is that Fluffy’s cousin you’re cooking?”
    “No, honey, that’s Fluffy herself!”

34. B

July 22, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Growing up was fun! we had dogs, cats, 2 monkeys (Lily and Susie), 2 pet tortoise (male and female), a parrot and goats (Dorcas and her kids). My nephew had chickens and pigeons. And my mother hated pets! 🙂
    I remember one Christmas day when my mother bought one of my nephew’s prized chickens (Old Duke) for Christmas lunch, my nephew refused to eat at home that day. He couldn’t cry though cos it was a business deal.
    At some point we had about 6 cats! Knitty and her litter. We’ve always had Alsatians … Scorpio, Fury, Castro… now we have a Rottweiler – Jack, I love dogs, but Jack is an exception to the rule!

35. Ibinabo

July 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm

‘just waiting for pay day jor :)… well, for pets.. never had any but would love to have a dog tho.

36. izzy

July 22, 2013 at 4:38 pm

PETA needs a branch in nigeria

• uh-huh

July 22, 2013 at 6:31 pm

sooo true….them animals dying so horribly like that

37. TA

July 22, 2013 at 5:13 pm

38. Amity

July 22, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I love cats though but the types i see in my neighbourhood always make my scream *THE BLOOD OF JESUS

39. Laide

July 22, 2013 at 6:06 pm

We had dogs when I was growing up, but the were mainly for security reasons and not all these mushy mushy stuff. They were mostly fed with ‘ajeku’ food.

40. m.j

July 22, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I grew up with pets dogs,birds,we still have canary and odere now self.. We I was younger I used to have rabbits,my friend came around and he liked it ,I gave him one..one faithful morning I went to his house,he told me d rabbit was sick,his father advised us that we shld kill it and so we don’t lose both ways..we were apprehensive so the man killed it,and prepared it..the sweetest meat I have eaten..lets just say I introduced my brothers to rabbit meat..i killed them at every opportunity..until I saw d last of them..smh good old days

41. Witty

July 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Mehn! I grew up with cats and lots of chickens. Granny makes sure all her tenant have one hen to take care of. Love cats to pieces. But my cat was the ‘onijekuje‘ types, it ate rat poison nd died. Buh i really miss her. Wld definitely love a cat and those cute puppies when i settled

42. Whatever

July 23, 2013 at 2:17 am

Out of everything wey you write, na that rabbit enter my eye. If you see how these rabbits run around and they will even come and sit beside you in the parks. Every time I see one run past me, I always say – thank God say na for America dem born you, or else na inside my ogbono soup you for dey swim by now.

43. dee one

July 23, 2013 at 5:00 am

My dad is an animal lover especially dogs so as a result we grew up with a lot of dogs. We always had one or more dogs at every given time. when i was in primary school we used to have a poultry and also had lots of goats and rabbits, we used to rear them cos we had a very massive compound then and our house was like animal farm. We also had two cats at different times, the first one ran away and the second one which was given to us by a family friend was thrown away by myself and mum, the day it was brought to us I was asked to go get it outta the car, I almost died cos I hate cats….it was so annoying cos it would meow all day and hide under the gas cooker and refuse to come out so mum and I put it in a sack and drove far from the house and just released it there (good riddance). We also had two parrots which we gave out and two tortoises that are probably dead now cos they used to bury themselves under the sand and come out after some days but for a year plus now we haven’t sighted them. So right now all we have are two dogs an Alsatian and a Caucasian much to the disapproval of mum who by the way hates animals especially cats closely followed by dogs.
    I plan to have a poodle and/or a terrier in the future, nothing large cos caring for the two large ones we have right now is a whole lot of work.

44. Eve82

July 23, 2013 at 9:25 am

I don’t do pets! We had a few dogs growing up though. One…they scare me, two…there is something about cohabiting with animals that I just can’t stand. Finally, I don’t need the added responsibility of taking care of it. I want to be able to go and come as I please. I am not ready to clean up behind any animal. One of my deal breakers is a guy who kepts pets. Nothing personal, just not my cup of tea.

45. koko

July 23, 2013 at 11:00 am

we had a cat we called it “billy the cat”my grandma gave me when we traveled to the village to see her …d cat scared the hell out of me my dad put it near d toilet so at nite i use to piss on my body instead of going to pee
    one day my parents left for walk and we escorted d catt out immediately it saw outside it ran for it dear life ..our cat loved eating eba and soup …den we had a pig d tin can smell for Africa abeg…..i hope to get a small dog..only its so annoying d way unilag gehs be carrying small small dog in dere bag forming Paris Hilton..my question is how do dey cope in a room with four people as most of them stay in the hostel?

46. Iamme

July 24, 2013 at 5:55 am

I like puppies when they’re really small and cute. I absolutely don’t like the grown puppies aka dogs, everybody that own dogs in my apartment complex probably already know that lol. I think aquariums are colorful and look nice in a home but I won’t have one if I’ll have to take care of it.

47. cozygal

July 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm

you see cats cant metabolize paracetamol rightly. it is metabolized to a defective compound dat poisons d cat. and u only need 500mg to do dat. sowy to announce that you killed ur cat atoke. lol. actually u want to kill a cat? jus feed it paracetamol or aspirin.
    we had pets. we actually turned every animal to a pet. our dogs were for security, our cats for rats, then we had pigeons(like 50 at some point. we had bird holes for every one), then as we grew older everyone got either a parrot, or a tortoise, or something. now d house is empty, my parents av no pet, and neither do any of us in our different locations

48. Ayorinde...

July 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

All this stories abt pets cracks me up..I used to have a pet dog dat i love to bit, i called her phloxy (Laser breed) very hairy and beautiful. Unfortunately she died