Features

BN Hot Topic: How Intense Should Your Hustle Be?

Atoke

A few years ago, I was dragged to church in England by a friend who was tired of having me remain indoors every Sunday. Not the biggest fan of organized religion, I sat through the service anxious for it to end. Then, like a ray at the end of a tunnel, this beautiful couple was called up to the podium to share their testimony of the Lord’s goodness.

I like stories, I like intriguing stories even more, so I paid close attention. Husband and wife had met in University in Nigeria. They had been in a flourishing relationship back home before the man decided to seek greener pasture in the U.K. On a visa to study a short course in London, guy finishes the course and refuses to go back home. There were ways to go about these things his friends had told him. He just needed to keep his head low and do “what everybody does”. Long story short, he married a British-Nigerian girl. The complication then arose when the girl refused to divorce him after the stipulated number of years in their “arrangement”. This was the point when prayers came to fore. Missus in Nigeria was told that this agent of the devil was refusing to give him a divorce and she was the only hindrance to their blissful life ahead as a happy couple with RED PASSPORTS. Seeing that the “agent of the devil” wasn’t going to divorce her man any time soon, babe in Nigeria decided to get proactive. She applied for school, applied for student visa and came to stay in the UK with her man. They started living together. Of course they couldn’t get married because the “agent of the devil” had refused to divorce the man.

Anyway, the purpose of the testimony was to give glory to God for shaming the devil – the girl finally divorced him and they were able to go to the registry to get married. The church was enjoined to help them praise the Lord for their newly attained legal status.

This story has floated to the core of my memory with recent articles I’d read about moving back to Nigeria and all the attendant issues that have generated from the stories. It brings to rise the issue of illegal immigrants and all the efforts that are made to either remain under the radar of the law or to become legal.

Illegal immigrants are not exclusively Nigerians/Africans. I read books about Mexicans being shipped across the US borders all the time. However, I’m quite intrigued about the transformation of illegality into legality. How do you successfully stay under the shadows?

I knew someone who was working in the UK with the identity of an old friend. It was really tedious as he constantly had to go meet that guy to get his wages. The guy would sometimes give him 50GBP less than he had earned. Sometimes, he would ask him to come back the following week or the week after that, or even the week after THAT one. Eventually, he got tired and came back to Lagos. Not everybody has the option of packing it all up and coming back so they just try to either marry someone who is legally resident and they just hope and pray everything works out until they’re legal.

Not being judgmental, but simply trying to understand how these things work. What is the driving force for planning to be an illegal resident? What spurs one on to remain beyond the requirements of one’s entry visa? How far would you go to remain outside of your country? If you’ve ever had to go through this, please share some of your stories with us? Have you ever been defrauded by a “Passport merchant”? Do you believe that “all na hustle” and as such it’s a viable way of struggling to be successful?

Let’s discuss!

Photo Credit: alumniunit.com

1. Onye

September 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm

How are they not ashamed to tell the world their illegal dealings?

• slice

September 5, 2013 at 10:12 pm

my dear, forgerrit. if my friend gets her paper like that, i will do thanksgiving. just waiting for the day. Abi na u go call police

• nikky

September 5, 2013 at 11:47 pm

It’s very weird that they actually shared this in church.
      How can the pastor and the rest of the church folks sit there and
      listen to someone testifying about doing something illegal. These
      type of gist should be hush hush, it’s not testimony material at
      all.

2. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 5, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Biko wetin be the name of this church wey you go? Because this kain testimony pass wetin I fit use mouth talk for outside …. And imagine the serious pain felt by the Brigerian (I know, the word is starting to catch on) babe who the guy come dey ask for divorce. When husband scarce pass gold-dust for dat London?? Divorce say who die???

On the question you’ve asked, I always say everyone should do what their faith allows them to, as long as you’re staying within the law. If the system has loopholes, find them and use them. When you’ve exhausted all legal avenues then at least you can say you tried to pursue your heart’s desires and then pack your property. I know plenty of people who’ve found loopholes and won appeals against the Home Office. I also know others that are still looking and I’m praying for them to win their own appeals. This oyibo man’s immigration law are not rocket science.

However, back to the story of marriage for “pali”. That one, I no dey support, not at all. So, dat man wey give testimony, him fit open mouth before God and man talk say im no touch d arrangee wife all through the period of arrangee marriage? And d Naija wife still wan reclaim am, come dey fight legally married woman in her own home??? Na wa oh.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

*is not rocket science.

• Shade

September 5, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Me thinks it’s high time you start writing for Bella Naija o. The way I look forward to your comments ehn. Biko, consider it. Just try, whatever comes to your mind, just write and send to features (at) bellanaija (dot) com (hope that’s correct). Imela o.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 6, 2013 at 1:29 pm

@Shade, too much craze full my head to write articles that sane people should be reading… Really 🙂

• Lizzie

September 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hey babe, where do you worship in Abz? Checking out for future use, thanks 🙂

• Bleed blue

September 6, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Let me do tatafo and answer on her behalf (while hoping you have good intentions with this your”future use”). FOL is the name. Shekkirout and thank me later 🙂

• Mz Socially Awkward...

September 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm

As Bleed Blue said, FOL, baby! 31 Palmerston Road, Abz.

• Lizzie

September 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thanks you two, will find my way around there once I get used to the city.

• slice

September 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm

marriage pali is a tough something if the person doesn’t know it’s just for paper. but sometimes, they do tell the “helper” that it’s just for paper and they even pay at times. It’s just that people sometimes believe what they want to believe. You’re helping someone so of course the person is nice to you and then you start to construct dreams of what marriage with the person will be like. it may work out but more often than not once paper is achieved, the person is out the door. In other cases (like with a friend of mine)

• slice

September 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm

…in other cases, they fall in love and get married for real

3. jcsgrl

September 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Chineke! I’m sorry I can’t get over the testimony bit. A couple actually got up in church and gave such testimony? And the church applauded? Hmnn and we wonder why ppl like you dearly beloved Atoke are not a fan of organized religion? Odiegwu

4. toyin olaleye

September 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Like honestly! I dont know…I have this discussion like almost every month when I come across people like that here in the U.S. It’s a tough thing and the truth is we never can say how hard it was for some people in Nigeria or wherever they came from, leading them to migrate wherever they are. I met a man who had been here in the U.S for almost 20 years and hadn’t achieved much simply cus he was illegal. There’s only so much you can do in another country when ur illegal…its tough, but many dont wanna hear that…there must come to America or U.S by fire by force..and then when they do stuff like marry for citizenship and then want a divorce later on (against the will of God) and start making the church intercede on their behalf, .. i def don’t waste my voice on that

5. Iyke

September 5, 2013 at 6:04 pm

The tragedy of illegal immigration is something that you can only appreciate when you are caught up in it. Dreams are torn, sometimes, won but the stress is heartbreaking.
    Well, I guess that’s life ….Life is not always a road defined…measured or designed with your best interest in mind. Life is not a prescription one subscribes to…an agenda selected or chosen…a narrative with multiple options that predetermine ones destination…devotion… Life offers no guarantees or insurance selections that tenders “do overs,” or “second chances”…trials…examples…money back advances…bonuses for special efforts or rehearsals…full of excuses and lucky chances… Life happens…with no real beginning or certain ending… It’s simply a state you find yourself present and engaged in… A condition that consumes you…whether conscious or not…it owns you…the soul of you…while challenging the spirit within you to seek the glory beyond you… Life…an unmistakable engagement demanding your full attention…best disposition…commitment without exception… Life, ready or not…a nonnegotiable event worth all that you’ve got… So, give it your best…whether you call it hustling or whatever.
    My advice to would be illegal immigrants, it’s not green across the ocean, and if you are in love before moving, fight together or walk away before you embark on this journey.

• Ekwitosi

September 6, 2013 at 4:36 pm

@Iyke you have said it all. Never say never! Sometimes life deals us very terrible hands that one does not know how to go about working around the problems. It is easy to sit on your high horse and judge people for whatever decisions they have taken. If you can find yourself between the devil and the deep blue sea, what do you do? When you have tasted the life here it is not easy to transition back to Nigeria. Going back depends on the type of family you have there. For a lot of people that have gone back it is easy when you have family that can support you and help you transition well. Check all the people that have transitioned back they are the ones with good support system. But if you are the one eyed man in the land of the blind, then Houston we’ve got a problem! I mean when your family depends on you for day to day living wahala dey! We are funny people though these same Nigerians will put their noses up in the air and decide who is licking plate in America and who is not but they will beg you for accommodation when they want to have their babies. They will stay and call ambulance when they are due to go to the hospital, have baby collect WIC and leave as soon as baby can fly without paying. Yet these women are the ones that their husbands can afford to pay but then, all na hustle. All I am trying to say is this you never know what people are going through that makes them take certain decisions! At the end sha, God have mercy!

6. Joan85

September 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I met a guy once. He’d been in the US for like 14 years, changed his name twice, tried the “marriage” runs twice n still failed to get the papers. It was hard for me to believe that he really liked me for me mehn; no matter what he did, I couldn’t shake off the thought that I might be the green card he’s been waiting for lol. A few months later, he moved to another state and changed his name yet again. We will never know if he was for real or not, but I wish him all the best.
    The struggle is real for legal residency abroad. While I do not negate the fact that people are just trying to survive and get a better life, I always feel bad when the person who is being “used” to get the papers is totally unaware and is just really in love and all. Na there e dey pain pass.
    On the other hand, I recently heard a story of a couple that got legally divorced, then the guy married another chic for papers (with his original wife’s knowledge o). But yawa gassed when the guy went beyond the arrangement and got the other chic pregnant. Me I no fit shout.
    All na hustle, but then again, these things are NEVER cut and dry. smh.

7. Naveah

September 5, 2013 at 6:05 pm

The reasons are individual and vary from person to person. I had an aunt who over stayed her visa but wanted to marry for love and when it didn’t happen, she left and went back home. I have a cousin who refused to go back after the family she was working for had to return back to Nigeria, she got defrauded by a guy, she never got her paper but she refuse to go home. She is working, owns property and a car but the thing is she is always looking over her shoulder. She has been away from Nigeria for such a long time, Nigeria is not for everyone and it isn’t an easy place to transition to so she figures better the devil she knows than the wan wey she no sabi. Besides, she never went to college so what kind of work will she be doing in Nigeria? Without a degree in the States, she’s made a good enough living to buy a car, buy a house and send her kid to school.

Na each person to decide whether the hustle is worth it or not.

8. Chic

September 5, 2013 at 6:37 pm

If the two people involved in the marriage for pali business are both in the know then I have no problem with their arrangement after all the citizen is getting paid and the almost illegal is getting his/her papers. It is when the person being used is not aware they are being used that it becomes painful. Don’t people marry for money all the time? Is the British woman of a lower aristocracy who schemes to marry someone with a higher title to acquire a new social standing and title e.g Baroness, Duchess etc or the woman who is tired of her poverty ridden life and schemes to marry a billionaire for his money also not as bad as the ones who marry for papers without an agreement with the paper holder?

• Africhic

September 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm

You are not comparing like with like, one is illegal.

• Chic

September 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I don’t know if there are laws that apply but the other two circumstances I mentioned are usually referred to as “Lovefraud” and which in my eyes is as illegal as marrying for papers that is why I don’t see the big deal in two people KNOWINGLY getting into a pali marriage they both benefit.

• Hadassah

September 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I think they are comparable just that the one marrying for papers could be jailed or deported

9. That african chic

September 5, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Always blaming the devil for consequences of our own actions

10. Africhic

September 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I shudder to think the type of persons we are, are we actually justifying illegality………If someone came here and said one angel gave her food for 3 years, we will all be speaking christianese. But for people not to see the wrong in all this baffles me. I cant ever live as an illegal immigrant and will never support anyone who does so, when there are legal means, why would you want to overstay on your visa and you had the guts to testify in church? This is why people don’t take Christians serious, which one is the testimony, the adultery, breaking of vows or the illegality

• slice

September 5, 2013 at 10:07 pm

There are some kinds of illegal act that just can’t get me to bat an eye lid. The person who lies to a police officer that he was driving at 50 and not 80. If the police officer’s machine can’t prove it, o well. Illegal immigration for me is one of those things. the illegal people are truly not hurting anyone directly. more often than not these are the best members of society. if you even hit their car sef, some illegals have been known to offer you money to just go away even though you were wrong.

I just can’t find a place in my heart to consider being illegal a “real” crime. also some of these people can’t even begin to see where to start if they return “home.” Regardless of what you may usually hear, many of them have excellent paying jobs, families, friends, houses. All they need is the almighty paper ….and so the hustle continues

• Red

September 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm

It is ILLEGAL! There are no excuses, it’s like saying someone should live in your house, eat your food, enjoy your amenities without your permission and knowledge.

• slice

September 6, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I know it’s illegal, dear

11. tito

September 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I heard a story in the States where husband and wify got visisting visa and decided to stay put after expiration of their time. The hustle of illigal immigrant soon dawned and an arangee marraige was the option. luckily wifey was the first to get arrangeed to marry akata.The problem was that Akata con like wifey and wanted to consummate
    his arranggee marriage.
    Small time wify also fell for Akata.
    Poor husband frustrate come kack to Naija

12. Dolapo

September 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Some decisions we taking it NEVER backfires.. My uncle was deported from US after staying there for over 13 years. Initially, when he went there, he was on student visa for a short term program. Don’t think he ever attended the program. He just laid low doing ‘jobs’ that paid alright. Fast forward 13 years after, he was caught, he claimed he was seeking asylum. As if countries easily grant that! Long story short, he got sent back. The real disappointment is that he left his job in Nigeria for illegal stuff in the US. If he had stayed back, he would have been a top staff in his organization now. Imagine being repatriated to your country, and you return with nothing. It’s a risky deal. For me, I feel my good knowledge of the law keeps me in check. That is, I know what punishment I could get if caught doing something illegal. Other people are over the top daring. It takes a lot of balls (no pun intended) to get involved in dirty deals & stuff.

As for the church, LOL, I’m sure even the pastor is an illegal immigrant who married for papers so he can relate with the testimony.

• Dolapo

September 5, 2013 at 7:10 pm

*some decisions we take hoping they never backfire*

13. Chinma Eke

September 5, 2013 at 6:53 pm

See testimony o!

14. Chic

September 5, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I encountered a reverse of this a British couple living and working somewhere in Africa according to the laws of that country only the husband was entitled to a work permit so the wife had to be a housewife I stumbled on her blog whose link i cannot remember now but she was complaining and saying how unfair it was that she was denied a work permit bla bla bla the comments were even funny people were telling her welcome to our world “immigrants” others were telling her to shut up at least her husband had a job and was being paid five times what he would have earned in the UK and that they were living in a mansion with maids and drivers and gardeners when back they would probably be in a council flat lol it was too funny. But thanks to the global economic meltdown a lot of Europeans are looking for jobs in their former colonies (obviously ease of language etc) and some have resorted to marrying local girls to make the transition easier and cheaper it is much easier to get a work permit as the spouse of a local that as an expatriate. A lot of development workers are desperate to renew their work permits in the so called third world countries due to the perks they get by working there.

15. EfKay

September 5, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Wow! What is church turning into?

16. Guys Perspective

September 5, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It’s funny how people will come on here and judge people in whose shoes they have never walked (especially people who always claim to know Gods mind), in as much as I do not support the couple who had the audacity to give testimony in church, I am sure there are people on here who are mis-yearning, but if you rewind 20 -30 years back, their parents obtained green cards/passports through similar tactics, those same people will now come here and spew some self-righteous BS. And by the way I got my green card through work, for anyone who assumes I am making my comment because I married for kpali.

• Dolapo

September 5, 2013 at 7:33 pm

So because someone’s parents got green card through an illegal means, said child doesn’t have an opinion regarding this topic? Seen.

• Guys Perspective

September 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm

@Dolapo there is a wide gap between honest opinion and the self-righteous BS that people spew on most Nigerian forums.

• Confucius

September 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Basically

• Dolapo

September 5, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I understand your thought on this. However, I don’t think it’s right to judge a child based on his/her parents decision(s). It’s like saying I cannot condem corrupt government officials because my father is/was one. We are not our parents and shouldn’t be judged based on their shortcomings,

• Chic

September 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Thank you! Well said!

17. Wow

September 5, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Wow, God bless you @ Guys Perspective. It so funny how people forget. Owing to the fact they are now citizens , particularly in the UK. Which is solely as a result if either their parents or even grand – parents who migrated here several years ago. And they now refer to themselves as ‘ British born’ or Black British. many of whom are so quick to judge others who struggle in the whilst residing here. I am neutral on this issue . But let us talk about several other impending issues that are derailing Nigerian economy.

18. MT

September 5, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Lol I guess my answer to everything is wait on God. I’ve been an illegal immigrant in the UK with my mom and that was a hard life mehn!!!! As in the struggle was real. All I can say is God really does make a way if you’ll just be patient with Him. By His grace and in the nick of time, He made a way for us to come to the US legally without any working to the jomo. I joke with my mom about the days when she would hide as soon as she saw the police in the UK but now in the US she’s bold and able to call & face the police because she’s legal.

It is hard but you need to determine in your heart & with your actions not to sin against God and watch Him move on your behalf. Remember, no temptation [or problem] has befallen you that is not common to man but God is faithful and will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear. He always makes a way so you can bear it!

Also, be sure He didn’t tell you to stay at home while you’re insisting you want greener pasture… Omo greener snake dey for greener pasture o. You might just find yourself like Lot in Sodom. The things that are unseen are more certain than those that are seen. You may not see the negative effects of arrangee marriage now but somebody will bear the consequence of your ill attainment, some people call that karma and I call it justice! Whether its 20 yrs or 50 yrs… your pounded yam dey for cooler. It’s the law of harvest.

But seriously though.. Which kain yeye testimony be that?? Galatians 6:7 all the way!!!

• slice

September 5, 2013 at 10:24 pm

i like how people pick what is or is not sin. you’re cute. Staying a country illegally is a crime and according to what you just wrote, that’s a sin. But you seem to think that b/c you didn’t take another illegal step to help you become legal, that means you did not sin. My dear, I cry foul o. if na so we dey count am, all na sin

• Atm

September 6, 2013 at 10:59 am

I was just about to say the same thing…and quoting bible again…
      Well, if not for the way Nigeria is right now, how would we be discussing this topic as a hot topic? Mtscheew!

19. sisieko

September 5, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Menh, life can be difficult in Obodo oyibo without papers or on a visa.I am an international student and the rules are so limiting. omg .Anyways,can I really judge someone’s hustle?Do you what kind of suffering the person underwent in Naija?All I can say is wait on God,pray,work hard.To my fellow Nigerians please let us do our hustle in a legal way by taking a page from the Indians,Asians.During my school years,I can recall the shame I felt from seeing and hearing of my fellow Naija peep’s atrocities.Yes, hustle but code yourself now,and do it in the right way(by hard work) Also, when you hustle your way wrongly ,don’t drag God into it.It is just a matter of respect #Edumareblessuo 🙂

• Angry immigrant

September 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Erm… Just the same way English people feel very shameful about the atrocities committed by their men. There’s hardly a week goes back without news on some British paedophile.

Few days who, I was listening to news on the British airways pilot that committed suicide after being found out as a paedophile….. He also molested kids in Kenya. Jimmy Saville’s case nko? April Jones case nko?

There are bad eggs in every society irrespective of race or nationality. Give me an illegal immigrant over a paedophile any day anytime.

• sisieko

September 5, 2013 at 11:24 pm

@Angry immigrant I understand your point.All races commit
      atrocities but we should strive as Naijas to be known for good
      deeds lest we become the faces of spam ,violence etc for example as
      with African Americans and violence.Be warned we shall all suffer
      the consequences of the stereotypes brought on by evil deeds of
      others eg when Naija can’t pay for SAT online,when you mention your
      nationality on craigslist and no one will rent to you etc.I’m just
      encouraging everyone out there.Hustle but work hard ,hustle in a
      good way regardless of ur immigration status.

• moi

September 6, 2013 at 2:01 am

Girl, the F1 life is the pits with companies refusing to consider you for internships cos of your immigration standard so i kinda understand the desperation which is why we shouldnt be judgemental of people doing “arrangee marriage”. P.S there are a few options avaliable to earn one’s citizenship in yankee if only people would use google wisely

• Idak

September 6, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Na by force? If dem no get visa,make dem go back home.

20. kimye

September 5, 2013 at 11:03 pm

@ sisieko- God bless u. No who wear shoe( for naija) know where and how e pain am before e decide to stay (illegally) abroad. Is it not the same thing with our women going to have kids in the US? They dont care now whether you plan pay or not.. issue is, if u need born in the US, get the right docs( medical visa) not visiting visa. But pple still do it.

• Angry immigrant

September 5, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Medical visa ke? If only yankee’s visa interviews are that
      easy. It’s going to be a hard job to convince the consular officer
      during the interview to justify why you want to go all the way down
      to Yankee to have your baby when you can do same at one of the posh
      and expensive hospitals in Lagos. For example, how will I convince
      the CO that I want to leave the UK (with free NHS treatment which
      I’m legally entitled to) to go and give birth in US (costing
      averagely $8,000 for normal delivery). It’s not rocket science to
      figure that the aim is citizenship thingz for the pikin. Na refusal
      straight be that na. Whether you go with B1 or B2 visa, the main
      thing is to pay in FULL your medical bill and not rely on Medicaid.
      Once you pay in full and you have all the receipts, subsequent US
      visa renewals should not be a problem.

• slice

September 6, 2013 at 12:16 am

The U.S. routinely gives out such visas b/c it’s a known fact that Nigeria’s health care system sucks. The real thing though is whether you have enough ties (read money) in Nigeria that the U.S. does not consider you an immigration risk. but if you’re coming from the U.K. or some other “western country,” your problem is even less if you’re legally in those countries

• Idak

September 6, 2013 at 8:22 am

Not really true in all cases. A friend did just that. Told the American embassy in naija she was going to have her child,showed proof of medical appointments with an O and G in Yankee, deposits paid for that, a rented service flat, referrals from her O and G in naija and her husband’s fat bank balance not forgetting proof of his relatively safe job. She was issued a visa,she has gone,delivered and returned safely. It seems rare but it does happen.

• Pd

September 7, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Same with my friend @idak!

• 9ija

September 6, 2013 at 12:14 am

Having a child in the US is not illegal. It becomes illegal when one doesn’t pay. For instance one can make use of the hospitals in the UK as a foreigner legally if one pays. Marrying for papers is fraudulent. Gotta call a spade a spade.

21. Angry immigrant

September 5, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Honestly, I wonder how illegal immigrants cope. Has anyone
    checked the unemployment figures and the number of people on the
    dole this year? People born, bred and buttered here…..full
    English ancestry with red passports are struggling so hard to get
    jobs. Not forgetting that most decent employers conduct ‘right to
    work’ checks with the HO. I’m in support of people migrating the
    right, moral and legal way.

22. miss me

September 6, 2013 at 3:10 am

am sure some anchor babies are here judging too smh, if your parent aren’t slave descendant or got their papers through work, then all na hustle tinz.
    my friend once told me of a dude who filed for all his sisters by marrying them one after the other but she refuse to mention his name thinking I might spill kilode warismyown and you think whitey no corrupt or you think all the Europeans for yankee were born there, omo all na hustle.just do your search well before you marry one and if he tells you he want you for purpose of pali its left for you to say yes or NO. at the end of the day the only judge his God.

23. Kia

September 6, 2013 at 5:23 am

I will rather use my faith to make it in nigeria, than live as an illegal by faith. If God is truly the one leading you. He will send you there legally ! Btw shocking testimony. What kind of pastor is that?

24. Idak

September 6, 2013 at 8:18 am

I have done this migration thing a few times,so i do not speak as one who has never worn the shoes. I struggle to understand how you can justify remaining abroad illegally. It is not dependent on any circumstance . It is plain wrong. No matter how you spin it. Seeing Nigerians over staying visas in lands where unemployment is hitting the roof is baffling.

25. Aminawon

September 6, 2013 at 8:26 am

Most pple seem to imply that easy is better than legal. Thats just sad.

26. Kikelola

September 6, 2013 at 9:47 am

Some overly self righteous people commenting or maybe those who have never known suffering in Naija.

Marrying a 13 year old is legal, doesn’t make it right! Illegal immigrants, are often exploited, pay taxes but are unable to claim tax relief and other benefits. They do jobs that those with paper refuse to do. Where is the wrong in that?

I’m a British citizen and remember the threat of my family being deported when I was a lot younger, thankfully my folks got their papers legit. I’m sure they don’t regret overstaying, their children have received world class education and attended world class unis, opportunities they would never have even dreamed about living in Idumota.

Rather than calling these people criminals, ask yourself why these folks are willing to live such a life? These people have nothing, they are living in constant fear but they’ll rather do that than be deported back to Mushin or Ajegunle.

Regardless of all of this that testimony is messed up, marrying for kpali is wrong and rubbishes the sanctity of marriage.

• Bleed blue

September 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Contradicting yourself dot com

27. Hilda

September 6, 2013 at 10:17 am

Not to mention the fact that all these “arrangements” mocks the marriage institution itself…

28. x factor

September 6, 2013 at 8:34 pm

This testimony sha!!! o ga oooo

29. nene

September 6, 2013 at 9:40 pm

nigerians, when will we change. smh

30. omada

September 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I can’t believe they gave this ‘testimony’ in church…