Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: Value those Passport Pages

Atoke

As the year draws to a close, you find people taking a stock of what they’ve gone through and overcome in the course of the year. Plans begin for what I believe is the most commercialized season in the year.  Short term businesses spring up; hamper sales, holiday packages, a deluge of aso-ebi sales. Tis indeed the season to be merry and thankful.

Thinking about the things I’m thankful for and amongst the top 10 things is the fact that I was able to get the ‘data capture’ for my drivers’ licence done.  For those who have no idea why that in itself is deserving of an entire mention in the things to be thankful for, then you probably have not heard the tales of woe that accompany trying to get the Nigerian Drivers’ Licence.  Very few things fill my heart with dread like having to get certain things done at government offices.

You have to be ready to be Nigerian (respectful, deferring and flexible religiously). If you’re going to an office in Lagos, you should be go armed with a few respectful Yoruba phrases, smile and don’t assume an air of being more knowledgeably superior.

My friend, Rose, went to the Nigeria House in London without being armed with any of these tips. She filled out the requisite forms and arrived there in the afternoon.  She narrated how she was yelled at and asked who she was speaking ‘foneh’ for. Then she was asked to walk out of the building because she was not respectful.  After having to wait outside because she didn’t give the security man the respect he asked for, one man came along and asked her to ‘just beg him, so that he can let you enter’.  Then she was asked to go back home and ask for a letter of consent from her husband which would permit her apply for a passport using his name. She showed them her marriage certificate and was told that it was not enough.  The idea of going back home (outside London) and having to come back to do this entire dance all over was not appealing. By the time she left the high commission, she reminded herself of why she had not been back to Nigeria in 10 years.

Her experience is one of the reasons why a lot of people say they prefer to get their Nigerian passports in Nigeria. However, the situation in the Lagos passport office is not any better.  If you try to get it done via the straight and narrow path, you might never get your passport. So you go through the legalized touting system where the sum of 20,000 (plus or minus – depending on your guy) is paid. The cost covers the official fees and the myriad of signatures your file is supposed to have just before you get to the stage of thumb printing and getting a retina scan.

While you wait to be called you are required to sit outside in the sun (it’s fine, what do you need to be comfortable for?) If you get there in the morning, you are enjoined to the praise and worship/prayer session. With fervent intensity, you are prayed for – prayers for visas and successful travel following the acquisition of this passport. Surely, no one in their normal state of mind is seeking a passport for identification purposes. That is why you have ‘business centres’. Your passport is not called ‘International’ for you to sit within the shores of Nigeria. No! Simply unacceptable.

Anyone who has gone through the ordeal of trying to get a Nigerian passport can testify that there is a certain ‘bad eye’ you use to look at those people who just stamp on the pages willy nilly. There’s a strong urge to say ‘Ahn ahn.. see space in that page na! Don’t waste the pages.’

I think I have bored you guys enough for one morning. Please share some of your fun stories about getting Nigerian passports/visas and or drivers licence.

Have a beautiful week ahead. I’m already having one because I just got this done and I’m really looking forward to reading the comments.

Peace, love & cupcakes.
Toodles!

Photo Credit: selfcare247.co.za

1. mia

December 2, 2013 at 11:33 am

I need to renew my diver’s license and i’m already having a headache about it.

• fluffycutething

December 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I’m with you on this one “sighs”. Last time I needed a renewal I attempted the straight and narrow approach. “luckily” for me I overheard one man say he had done that and months after he was still waiting to receive the license!!!!. I gave myself some brain thereafter.

• mty

December 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm

“I gave myself some brain” that really cracked me up! In Yoruba it means ” oya ara e ni brain” lollll

• Jo!

December 2, 2013 at 1:09 pm

“o ya ara e ni brain” is not Yoruba

• alice

December 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm

let me jist u i went to their office in sura at 8am i was given a number 74 so we queued as we were waition we saw rich men come nd escorted straight to the office after dat dey said there is no network. later no lite then after they are off for lunch i left there at 6pm i looked hopeless in the picture i took …i ate gala ,boiled groundnut,gala,ofio while waitiong…was a very bitter experience

2. Nnenna

December 2, 2013 at 11:44 am

I got my first passport in Lagos when I was like 12 and it was hell! They know how to make you suffer for NO REASON! When I went to get the new passport in New York, it was actually an easier process. Maybe I was lucky because I’ve heard some hellish stories! The Nigerian embassy is the same home and abroad! Pathetic, angry, unprofessional people work there to make your life hell like theirs!

3. natty

December 2, 2013 at 11:45 am

I know I am among the lucky few that have never paid more than the official price for passport. I renewed my passport last year in ABJ and I waited a total of 30 mins from payment to image capturing, I even heard the passport was ready that same day, but I left as I had a flight to catch back to PH. All these courtesy of my dad’s friend, I got there after a lot of people and when I left they were still in their positions in the queue.
    I do recall, someone that I was with saying she estimated 45k for a quick job, meanwhile the official price for passport is arnd 9k I think.

• Jo!

December 2, 2013 at 12:09 pm

… *courtesy my daddy’s friend”…

• natty

December 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

• Jo!

December 2, 2013 at 1:11 pm

LOL, Pele. Did I say anything now, just repeated exactly what you wrote. ABi, it was sha courtesy your Daddy’s friend

• AREA CODE

December 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm

yea lucky few!!!I was in his office eating like was going out of circulation and he already had the task to drop me at home in the evening so I only went there for the pictures ,filling some form and signature things.but the then he started with the whole why do you want to leave story ,I politely asked him how old his kids were and which uni. he intends sending them to after sec. once he said private I smiled,cos we are still saying same thing difference is location.

• tish

December 2, 2013 at 3:35 pm

So those of us whose daddys’ don’t have friends there should do what nau? aProko!!

• Pd

December 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Jo ….get a life na! Which one be your own! Oshiko

4. larz

December 2, 2013 at 11:58 am

Having been through hell to obtain your passport, you have no choice but to value it. Nigerian embassy in London is horrible. If I had a top ten worst moments listed, trip of Nigerian HC in London and US/ UK embassies in Lagos will all be at top somewhere

5. Lola

December 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Mehnnn I feel you, I got mine sometime in sept after 2 weeks of going back and forth and how I had to come very early to be on the list early enough, coz when I get there around 9pm I’m like the 78th person and you would have to wait all day for your turn and I didn’t have that time coz I had to be at work……finally I got it and believe me I was almost jumping and dancing for a driver’s license, I must have even thot briefly of a thanksgiving in church sef……..I told everyone that had ears around me and the first question was ‘is that your first driver’s license’ my reply no, when you have to renew yours you will understand. Thinking of it now, it will be part of the things I will do thanksgiving for in church at the end of the year…..Praise the Lord…….hallelujah!!!!!!LOL

6. Detoun

December 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

The Ldn office is worse…U didn’t even mention trying to visit that confusing website of theirs where you get to book your appointment. When you do get the appointment, u have to arrive really early to join the long ass queue on Northumberland avenue..nevertheless u don’t get called till about 3pm…God help u if u jump the queue to make enquiries…you will be greeted with’ MY FRIEND COMMON GET BACK IN THE QUEUE’. Horrible experience every time!

7. Jo!

December 2, 2013 at 12:11 pm

LOL at “plus or minus 20k depending on your guy”, that, my dear is just the truth.

• Jo!

December 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm

LOL, just can’t stop laughing. We have a “guy” for everything and everywhere, doesn’t always help but somethings, that could be what saves your life

8. Tayo

December 2, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Yes o, considering my ”wahala” and all the money I spent to get my Nigeria pali, I’m managing my pali pages like the pages are made of gold, I will use my red pali everywhere else I go–the fear of the interview or lets say interrogation for Nigeria visa or pali at the embassy in Paris is the beginning of wisdom. Nigeria ambassadors are little gods in their own right, they can do and undo , don’t even try them at all, you will be the one to beg at last.

• Tayo

December 2, 2013 at 12:19 pm

I meant the Nigerian embassy workers are little gods o, The Nigerian ambassador, that’s another god on a very different level.

9. Let it Flow

December 2, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I was looking forward to a relaxing article… not one that will make my blood boil. Oh my goodness!! Why why why am I upset all over again? I have experienced ‘the treatment’ both in UK and Nigeria. I think I need a cup of tea first. Traumatised. 🙂

10. Berry Dakara

December 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Ah, the Nigerian License – here’s my saga in my blog post – berrydakara.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/announcement-for-nigerian-readers.html

Unfortunately, we were late on the Data Capture day, so we have to try again in another week or so 🙁

berrydakara.blogspot.com

11. Tiki

December 2, 2013 at 12:34 pm

looool. I’m not Nigerian but the struggle is real even where I am. My remedy? go straight to the top (the Commissioner’s secretary, not the Commissioner) and flirt shamelessy. Flirt until your face hurts from smiling and your head hurts from thinking about flirtatious things. Then go home, come back the next day, flirt some more. When your passport is issued and he invites you for dinner, get dropped off by a male friend, and tell him your husband will pick you up after dinner. case closed. lol

• Amiee

December 2, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Waaaaaaiiiiiiitttttt! Tiki, did you just say you are not a Nigerian? For real? But i see you on other Nigerian blogs (case in point TNC) So what country are you from?

• whocares

December 2, 2013 at 3:42 pm

lmaoooooo. I will be Yoruba and say “awon ton sho eni ti a mo” (loosely translated: unknown spies?) lool.

• Spicy

December 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm

My dear,i agree with the flirting tactics,it is very embarassing and you’d feel disgusted with yourself afterwards but i tell you,its worth it! My first experience at Nigeria house in London was as such. I was quite young and didn’t know a thing about how the whole thing worked and luckily some guys took pity on me after seeing how frustrated i was becoming. they gave me the lowdown. They would manage to get me up to the ambassador’s office and i would be on my own from there on. The objective was to manage to convince him i was one of his babes friends (they gave me her name and location) and then proceed to flirt my butt off…ah if you see shameless flirting that day ehn. Dude it workd sha,was in and out in 15 mins mission accomplished (with the oga’s mobile number as well lol)……. I was also there recently, luckily one of the staff took a shine to me and started chatting me up, as a sharp babe i returned the flirting and once again was done in no time lool

12. AnotherVictim

December 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm

LOL!!!! I can totally relate; I had to go to New York to get my passport because the DC office did not have any to issue. I drove to New York 3 times !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just to process this.
    The workers did not arrive on time, the application procedure was dynamically modified as needed depending on your influence, contacts or money paid.
    It was pathetic. How can we make progress? How can this country get better?
    *** My heart bleeds ***

13. debs

December 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm

just pay these government people something in addition for the services you want and go home in a jiffy. its not worth the queues. thank God for the grace to pay extra. i have had to do this for both passport and license

14. Aidan

December 2, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I go through a passport every year, 32 pages and all those visas and passport stamps dont help. The Nigerian passport needs extra pages. I know the ambassador of the country where i live, so i get VIP treatment. I have no sad stories yet!

15. Zayt

December 2, 2013 at 12:52 pm

My God! All these horrible stories. Funny enough I’ve never had a nasty experience both home and abroad. Thank God for that! 😀

16. Abana

December 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Last time i renewed my passport I did it in Awka. I had been thinking about doing in Lagos but my aunt encouraged me to do it there. She called her contact there, signed the guarantor’s form and paid 3000 in bribe. Picked up my passport the next day. Easy breezy! My advice? If you can go to your state of origin sef, please go! There was no queue, no stress, no shouting! I don’t mind travelling back home to renew my passport. If I can’t go that far, I will go to Abeokuta. If you have to do it in the UK, ask around. There might be someone u know who knows someone working there. Might make the process less stressful for you.

17. Adeleke

December 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I got my international passport a few years back from Abeokuta. I paid 2o’oooN and after 5 hours it came out.

18. Hmmm

December 2, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hahahahahah i have no words for the naija embassy in london NO WORDS mtchewwwwwwwwwww my story with them get part kmt. On another note i jut renewed my british pali i submited it at the post office on monday 11th nov and paid £81.50 my people my new BP arrived on my door step on monday 18th Nov. That is to say naija we hail una oooooo. When my naija passport expire i am going to naija to collect new one cuz i get ‘guy’ too i no fit for naija embassy in london….mba mba mba

19. banimo

December 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I recently got my naiija passport at the NY embassy and to my surprise the people there were actually courteous and nice.Before we started the passport process, an embassy staff came out and greeted us and asked us to not be scared,that the embassy staff were there to help us.Plus i was done with the passport process in two hours.I was shocked to say the least. The DC office on the other hand, is filled with a bunch of illiterate and unecessarily mean people

20. adelegirl

December 2, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I have been fortunate so far. Got my first passport at the Ikeja passport office with my dad and I didn’t have any hassles. My dad handled it all for me and I don’t think he went through any hassles either. Got my renewals myself through the “easy” way out too. Paid a premium of about N22k or so in total, but this guaranteed a stress free process and my passport delivered to me at my office.

Did the same for my old Drivers’ License and this new one. Paid about N10k for this new biometric license and practically got red carpet reception, was in and out with the data capture in 10minutes or less and also got my temporary license immediately.

I have given up on doing certain registrations the “right” way. I consider the premium I have to pay as value for service rendered. Kind of like all these prestige, platinum services that companies like banks offer clients who do not wish to go through normal hassles. Or kind of like giving a service provider a huge tip which guarantees a higher level of service responsiveness.

On the Nigerian Embassy in London, I smiled as I read that portion cos it reminded me of my first experience with them when I went to renew my passport. Walking into the High Commission, was like something out of Rentaghost – One second you are in London, next second you’re smack dab in a government office in Lagos or anywhere in Nigeria. The place was like a market place. The staff were exactly like the typical govt workers in Nigeria. Needless to say, I was very glad to get out of there, having concluded my business the same day.

21. Sommie

December 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Would be back…lemme wait for comments

22. I deleted my name and avatar

December 2, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Once leave Northumberland Avenue and you step into Nigeria house in London you are back in Lagos. Years ago I had to get a new passport cos the old one was 10 years old. Filled in the application form, submitted it and was given a date about 3 weeks to come collect it. Fast forward to collection date na I got there in good time to collect my passport. I just sat in a corner waiting for my name to be called. Everyone there, plus embassy worker, plus naija people who came for one thing or the other were just rowdy. Mehn it was like we were in oyingbo market. I ignored everything thinking just call my name let me collect my passport and get out of here. I waited and waited o my name was not called. Then some minutes before they closed around 5 pm one official said “if you came for new (10 years) passport collection, come back next week” What?????? I got up and asked the guy why we should come back next week when you gave us collection date as today. The guy was like ehn machine broke. The machine or whatever they are using to print the passport. I asked when the machine broke and he said last week. Mehn me that I have been calm all this while I didn’t know when I joined in the rowdiness and started cussing them. Machine broke since last week and you didn’t see it fit to notify us by email and you made us come all the way to the embassy. Or you couldn’t stick a note on your door or have someone inform people as they came in that new passports were not ready for collection. Not only did you make us come all the way, you further wasted our time by making us sit till closing time before informing us that our passports were not ready!!!!!. Mind you many people came from outside London. Trust our people now, once you call them out on their bullshit next thing they say is you don’t have respect. They were saying this small girl don’t have respect o, is that you talk to your parents at home. I replied my parents don’t do such stupid things to warrant disrespect from me. I noticed one man trying to calm me and be nice. I didn’t know we would get on the same tube and he would start chatting me up and asking for my number. Foolish he-goat.

Next week came and I went back for my passport. Again I sat quietly in a corner. When my name was called I got up to sign and collect my passport. As the guy was crosschecking my face with the photograph, he held it back and was like so you can be quiet like this. I put on my blank face and pretended I didn’t know what he was talking about. Nex thing he called out to his colleagues ” Come see the small girl wey abuse us finish last week, see how she quiet today like she no dey talk” I just busted out laughing.

Though some two girls were not laughing as they had made mistakes with their passport. One of the girls had earlier returned her passport cos they made a mistake with the spelling of her name. And they made the same mistake the second time round. They said she should go and manage it like that. She was like no you won’t be there when immigration officials are giving me grief at the airport. The second girl was very dark in complexion so she took a nice clear passport photograph but by the time it got into her passport, you couldn’t really make her out from the picture and they were telling her to mange it like that. Let’s just say my own cussing was small compared to this girl’s ranting.

Fast forward a couple of years and e-pali came. I didn’t want to go through naija house hustle again so I timed it to when I visited Lagos and paid 25 thousand naira. Moreover the process was so complicated in London and you couldn’t even pay in pounds you paid in dollars.

23. Nominee

December 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Una no dey get am, you people need to be flexible. Choose the immigration office where you know somebody who knows somebody and go early. Wherever that office likes let it be as long as you get connection no matter how faint for there, go there! Pay something a little bit higher so that your connection will work for you with a clear mind, before you know it, your passport is out! Dazz all!

24. Karonwi

December 2, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Last time I renewed my passport in Lagos, I saw fire. After having to pay extra to get it done at all, I was told at collection time that their laminating paper had finished. Lmao
    Few minutes after a ‘somebody’ walked in with the boss of the place and next thing we heard the guys passport was ready. They went to look for the laminating paper just for him o
    Passport office is a total mess! I had to pay twice also because they said my gender was wrongly put in their system(not on the passport gan gan)

25. Meet9jasinglesHERE

December 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm

these comments makes me laugh. and i was thinking of applying for a passport and drivers licence for a domi account. lord help me

26. jinkelele

December 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

all this bullying us into bribery won’t help progress

27. X- Factor

December 2, 2013 at 2:55 pm

I honestly think this is a Lagos thing, Everybody + government officials are hustlers with high house rent, school fees, vacation etc needs.. that is aside the large population of citizens who need these documents
    My advise: If you can; please try and go outside Lagos for some of these documents, My international passport in Abeokuta came out in 3 hours @ just 14k, My drivers license+ data capture was done in 1 hour 48 mins in ilorin for just 8k, (I was so thrilled that i had to dole out some more cash to say thank You to the officials who in this were very friendly and respectful to a Lagos boy…)

28. gbemisola

December 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Seriously, how can you apply for a passport of driver’s
    license in Nigeria without knowing somebody or ready to pay, the
    frustration of sitting under the sun for hours and you seeing
    people walking in and out in less than 1 hour with their passport
    could be annoying. my last renewal was under 2 hours and had to pay
    extra and on getting to the airport on my way to Dubai for my
    honeymoon was happy and at the same time tired from all the wedding
    stress only for one silly immigration officer to tell me to step
    aside that i needed to be interrogated to know if am not part of
    the people traveling for the first time to spoil the image of the
    country and where did i get the money to buy my ticket and all , It
    was funny and at the same time annoying cos i was just laughing ,
    my husband had to talk to the man and he said we should settle him,
    i had to bring out my old passport when he thought he had seen a
    first timer to chance ..

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm

What??? Your story had me laughing and vexing almost at the same time… So these immigration officers have a new hustle where they just target first-time international travelers for “settlement”, once they spy a brand new passport? Naija, na wa oh, shame no dey catch us at all??

• Olutayo

December 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

Hi people…. in a bit of a dilemma here…..my brother’s name was wrongly spelt on his passport….can this be resolved ? and how ? Thanks

• Mrs Nwosu

December 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Ah you will need to make the right corrections cos if immigration get on your case at the airport you will regret travelling outside naija. yes it can be resolved. Take the passport back and clearly write out the correct names or details. goodluck

29. beccah

December 2, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Lmao at the comments….i paid 20k for my passport and got it in less dan 3hours… I recall meeting people there and leaving dem also….mehn it’s not worth it stressing one’s self over 9ja wahala

30. Kelly

December 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I know what your friend went through cos I went through a similar ordeal. We have just 1 Nigerian House/High Commission in the UK I think so all of us have no fall back place. When the new passport came out and I needed to get it I arrived at 6am and there was already a queue. The staff turn up at 9am and don’t even acknowledge the presence of the people queuing. Then at about 10am you are allowed in and God bless you you don’t already have your forms filled: these forms that take ages to find on the decadent website. Oh did I also tell you that we queue up in 5-10 degrees weather? Yes yes.

Once you’re in you better take the right ticket. Oh and you better not be Nigerian and coming with your British passport to apply for a Nigerian visa. You will receive the wicked stares that will send shivers down your spine. You’ll learn to speak in tongues that day. So advice- just apply for the Nigerian passport.

Then when you’re in there it takes forever for you to be called up. Then you are told to come back on another day. The whole ordeal requires at least 2 days off work, serious prayers for patience and calmness so you don’t get angry due to the way you’re treated by the staff and a sense of humour so you laugh the whole ordeal off.

So yes. I cherish my Nigerian Passport as I do not want to experience that whole ‘WAHALA’ again.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

December 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Babes, you tell not a lie. Those animals masquerading as human beings punished me, as in, I hear am when I went for my e-Passport. Plus I had to travel from Aberdeen, take personal days off work, get paid accommodation, etc just for the privilege of being seriously mistreated. Then the absolute baggars said I had to come back another day… Dem think say Aberdeen na the name of an underground stop on the Jubilee line??

And anyone who thinks the art of paying “something” doesn’t cross the border into the United Kingdom has another think coming once the Nigerian High Commission on Northumberland Lane is concerned. The funny thing is, those idiots don’t realize this new UK Bribery Act na serious bizness and your ass will land in jail if you’re reported. Although I don’t know how the rules will play out for so-called ‘diplomatic officials’. Useless, corrupt government officials carrying their national virus of inefficiency and greed wherever they go…

• Chic

December 2, 2013 at 11:26 pm

They are immune those laws can’t touch them blame it on “diplomatic immunity”.

31. dami

December 2, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Talk about valuing my Nigerian passport. When I was 17 or so I had to apply for a Nigerian passport in Abuja. See questionnaire. This man said I should go bring a letter from my dad after I showed hin death certificates of my dad, he said I don’t look like someone that her dad passed away blah blah. I cried my eyes out. My poor mum had to come from Germany to beg them and prove that what I said was true. My naija passport is safely tucked away. Mbok I cannot come and die.

32. Nat

December 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Lol, I remember almost slapping a border officer at Luton airport when he was just stamping my passport anyhow. The man didn’t understand my anger. If only he knew *smh. The kind of stories I hear about this Nigeria house in London ehn kai! And I have to renew my passport soon. Na wa o

• bafy

December 3, 2013 at 11:18 am

LMFHO…..as in ehn…wasting d pages on top of stamping tinz….I feel u

33. hi

December 2, 2013 at 10:15 pm

lol at ahnahn dont waste the page. just realised my passport has expired. i know its not going to be a funny thing renewing it

34. Ohmine

December 3, 2013 at 2:33 am

My experience at the Nigerian embassy in New York was unbelievable. As soon as I stepped into the embassy a staff walked to me and asked me how much it cost me to come to the embassy. I was confused, What a question. Then a lady shouted from her office saying we would not see you today u have to come back. This lady was so unprofessional, roughly dressed and hair un kept. I pleaded with her saying that I am coming from another state and I would not be able to come back since my appointment was set for that particular day. She told me to go talk to another woman in her office before I even stepped into the other woman’s office she looked so mad and was just shouting. She told me to write my details on a book which I did next thing she said she didn’t tell me to do that. Everything she told me to do and I do it she will would say why did I do that that she didn’t tell me to do that. HA! this woman was really out to frustrate me but I stayed calm. Then she was just eyeing me unnecessarily asking me weird questions. Next thing she said I should leave her office and go and wait outside I said okay thank u ma next thing she said your even smiling SHOOOO! AM I suppose to frown or cry. She then said when you people come here u forget home. SHOOOO! Anyway, I went out of her office. There was also a Nigerian lady with her new born baby standing beside this mean woman’s door she shouted at the lady that she cant see her and that she should come back. This lady was pleading with her. She later attended to her after many insults and telling the lady that she left Nigeria to come and give birth here. But the lady told her that was not the case. LOL that woman had real issues. The staffs were looking at us funny and making silly comments. Later, I was called into another office to take photograph. Next thing the guy who called me funny questions that had absolutely nothing to do with renewing passport like personal questions. Very unprofessional. I can go on and on but don’t want to bore u guys. I figured that the staffs at the Nigerian embassy are sad and frustrated and bitter about Nigerians abroad.

35. Jen

December 3, 2013 at 2:38 am

Don’t even get me started with Nigerian house in London…such a useless place…omaaaggaawwdddd!!! I felt like slapping one of the ladies..5 years ago I went to renew my naija passport before the new ecowas one came out..I kid you not, I had the worst experience of my life..long hours and long hours..the staff were so disrespectfull and I just wanted to leave that place real quick..now it’s expired again..I really cannot be arsed to go y for the ecowas because I don’t intend to travel to naija anytime soon as I already have my British passport..the thought of
    going to that place drives me mad with that their stupid Nigerian mentality..sighs Abeg when I’m ready to go to naija then I’ll apply for my new Nigerian passport..jheezee stupid and incompetent workers!!!

36. V

December 3, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Don’t think any embassy is as bad as the one Canada (Ottawa)
    Those people are so rude!
    Never met any human being that feels as entitled as the people working in that office.

37. U.B.I

December 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm

immigration…bunch of incompetent idiots..i had my bouts wit them,had to travel to abuja thrice b4 i cld get my passport,which was to be re-issued..i saw hell in their hands,dem go remove ntwk frm common pple’s lounge and ntwk will b in the vip lounge,and they will b claiming no ntwk…come tmr..while the vips r bn attended to…may God punish una

38. Cj Lagos

December 9, 2013 at 12:33 am

People, if we want to change the system of abuse, you must find a way to record your experience at these embassies and post it on youtube or send it to channels tv in naija! That would get them to sit up, or get fired!

• Tru