Features

BN Prose: When Sex is a Deal Breaker by Jumoke Omisore {Part II}

* Editor’s note This is a continuation of last week’s BN Prose. {Read the first part of this story here}

“The woman you saw is my wife.” Leke saw her brows crease but his words took longer to register. She reached for the edge of the sofa when they finally did. He closed the gap between them; to help her, to explain – anything that would lessen the blow.
“No,” she yelled, pointing a warring finger at him.
He backed away. Worn.
Light had filtered out of Kanyin’s eyes. She looked as if he had just told her that he’d signed up to work for the devil himself. His phone was ringing again, vibrating softly against his right thigh. The thin fabric of his pocket proved useless to the pulsations. The vibrating edged him closer to an ironic stirring. To the pain evident in his wife’s questions as she quizzed him on the phone, a few minutes before Kanyin arrived.
“Why is she snooping around Oluwaleke? I know I told you to do whatever you want but you shouldn’t have given her our salon’s address.”
His wife’s voice had faltered on the phone. “Have you fallen for the girl?”
He had to get off the phone, promising her he would ring her back.

Kanyin asked him something that brought him to the present. Something about Becky’s mother. Her lips were mouthing the question again when he met her eyes.
“You told me your wife died. You said Becky’s mother died in child birth.”
“It is true Kanyin. I married Bolu twelve years ago. My first wife died two years after our traditional marriage.”
“And is this the sort of flat a married man lives in?” Kanyin’s voice had regained its screeching depth again.
She looked round the flat. Sparse of evidence of a coupling or existence of children. She stared at the lone photo of Leke on the wall beside the bleak 19th century East End painting, the stain-free wooden flooring and white walls. His voice was trying to coax her into taking a seat. The normally soothing voice grating on her. She headed for the bedroom. Although she had declined his offer of a sleepover the only time she had been to his flat, she found it with ease.
Refusing to let his words soothe her, she went straight to the huge wardrobe and yanked the doors open. As expected the ladies’ clothing items were missing but what left her agape was the gaping emptiness of the wardrobe.
“Where are your things?”
Leke sat on the edge of the bed. A sigh escaped his mouth and as if it were more than a sigh, leaving in its wake slanting shoulders.
“Do you want to break up with me because I’m not ready to sleep with you? What kind of a man cooks up a lie like this because he is not getting his way.

“It is the truth.” He rose and dipped his hand in his left pocket, fishing out his ring to show her.
“I’m married Kanyin. I live in Enfield in a semi-detached with a garden. We bought this flat to let it out. Please, I’m really not one of those men who cheats on their wife.”
Kanyin laughed a mirthless chortle she had never thought herself capable of. She knew she would never be able to tell her cousin the full story. How she thought he was the one and whittled plans to work less hours for the production company, so she could spend more time with him in London. All this while, she was making plans in her head with a man that had no business making plans with any woman at all.
Yes, her job was exhausting and time consuming, leaving her with an aching brain and a body begging for a massage after a six day back to back marathon prep and shoots, but she should have spotted the signs.
“You aren’t one of those men?”
“I love my wife…”
“Why did you ask me out then?” Kanyin refused to buckle up. He owed her that much.
It took a while before his lips parted. “I haven’t had sex with my wife for three years.” He sighed and took the same spot on the bed that he did earlier.
He noticed that the confession had softened her angry eyes as he searched for the right words to tell his story, their story without seeming selfish.
“Bolu was diagnosed with cervical cancer three years ago.”

Kanyin suddenly felt sorry for his wife. The woman’s smiles were warm. Cordial.
“She cried when we realised that she would need a hysterectomy.” He looked up and met her gaze. “But we had no idea that the radical operations performed would take away from us so much more than we thought. The surgeon wanted to save her at all cost, cutting and chipping away at what makes her a woman.”
He looked away from her. “After waiting for a while, further tests revealed she would need more operations to get rid of the damage and scarring from the previous procedures.” Leke remembered how what drove his wife to pleasure zones brought her pain and tears.
Kanyin moved closer to him. “What about the operation?”

“My wife refused to even consider it.” He rubbed his palms together. “I didn’t have the heart to insist. She nearly died when they performed the radical hysterectomy. The radiotherapy sessions were not easy on her either. I agreed that it will be enough to have her around. And we tried other…ways.”
“I guess that didn’t work.”
“I begged Bolu to have the procedure, promising private expensive care. In the end, she told me to look outside for pleasure.”
He saw her face fall. This forced him to his feet. He gathered her in his arms and explained how he wanted one thing and saw her at the location but wanted much more.
His face was so close to hers. Looking into his eyes, she buckled because she could hold it no more. At 32, she wondered if the half of himself he offered should not be snapped up with frenzied hands. She whispered his name as he bent his head to hers.

The bedroom was pitch black when Leke walked into their bedroom. Although, he could make out the slim half naked figure on the bed, he still foraged for the button of the bedside lamp.
“You’re back.” Bolu said, turning to face him.
“Traffic,” he muttered. He knew he couldn’t tell her after Kanyin walked out, he had needed time to think. He knew which woman he wanted but he needed time on his own before facing her again.

“I have decided to go for the surgery Leke.” Bolu said, crouching towards her husband. He stared at her, transfixed. “I don’t want to share you with anyone.”
“Are you sure?” He arched a brow as he explained he didn’t sleep with Kanyin. “I couldn’t do that to you.”
“You are a good man Leke. But I’m still having the op.” Her smile widened into a mischievous look as she started to play with his belt. “I think we can make do with what we have for now.”
He chuckled and pulled her closer.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Darren Baker

Olajumoke Omisore was born in Hammersmith. She is currently a student at the University of Central Lancashire. As a school girl, she lived in Abeokuta with her family. Her brothers and sisters had the task of explaining to their friends that she existed because she was always holed up in her bedroom, reading or writing. She finds fiction writing a blessing. Her work has appeared on African Writer and scheduled to appear in the Kalahari Review.

1. yemisi

August 5, 2014 at 10:04 am

I hope there will be more am so loving the story line

2. Sissi Taylor

August 5, 2014 at 10:38 am

Nice, and all the best.. Keep it up. I myself a writer..

3. reverse

August 5, 2014 at 10:43 am

What a letdown… The 1st part left me wanting more, maybe the story should have ended there

• Iyalode

August 6, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I agree with you…this second part is a bit disappointing

• Bonny

August 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm

True!!!I

4. EL

August 5, 2014 at 10:48 am

Thats one hell of a selfish couple! why rope d single girl into ur mess and hurt her!

5. saphya

August 5, 2014 at 11:26 am

Lol @ reverse 🙂

6. 90s

August 5, 2014 at 11:28 am

God!! av got my eye filled wit tears while reading d prose, pls I nid advice from matured minds no insults pls, av got a problem similar to d 1 in d prose, am a virgin,am 22yrs old, am in a relatnship wit a man dat I love nd e claims to love me, e hs proposed marriage which I av accepted bt dere jus 1 prob, I dnt want sex til afta marriage, e hs accepted dat although we kiss, cuddle nd all dat bt sex is out, my man isn’t a virgin,e hs bin involved wit oda gals in d past due to dat hez nt ready to wait 4 me on d sex issue cos we wil b courting 4 3yrs nd e can’t wait til dat long cos its nt easy 4 him, nw e brot up a suggestn, if I can allow him av a friend wit benefit,jus 4 sex while we prepare nd wait 4 marriage, all dis discusn came up yesterday, I accepted though cos I dnt want to deprive him, pls wat shuld I still do? Am Nt api wit d whole issue nd I dnt want sex b4 marriage.do u guys tink it wil work out btw us?

• I'mMeBaby!

August 5, 2014 at 12:06 pm

It’s best to let him go however hard it’ll be. 3 years is a long time. You’ll find someone who won’t complicate things for you like this. Love shouldn’t be this hard. Life is long, you’ll meet someone else with your same values.
      If you compromise now (on the friends with benefits thing), you’ll compromise in others things too.

You’re still very young and have your whole life ahead of you.

Let him go if he can’t restrain himself.

• Fite

August 5, 2014 at 7:24 pm

“Love shouldnt be this hard”…..God bless you for that statement

• Baby

August 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

@90s, just know that will remain friends even after your wedding. Just be prayerful.

• Debz

August 5, 2014 at 12:38 pm

please abeg 90s! Do not get sucked into the idea that you are going to allow your husband to be have a friend with benefits. If you allow that now, you do not know what kind of doors you are opening on yourself and your children!

He may decide you are not good enough after marriage and request that he continues the ‘friendship’. He could contact an incurable disease that he may pass on to you. He may fall in love with the friend or vice versa. etc. The list goes on!

Abeg no do! It is not by force to marry o. Is he truly your husband? Are you happy with him? Do you think he loves you? That is not how love works. Please talk to yourself and TRUSTED and wise people. May God guide you on the right path!

• Sope.

August 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Hello Gos,
      love does not derive you of what or who you love most and am happy you considered that with the man you are with, but at the same time love is sacrificial. you cant eat your cake and have it. why are you allowing your so-called man have that?
      You want to wait till marriage till you have sex? that amazing. But why not look for or rather wait for a man that shares that same opinion or value with you. Whats the assurance that this your so called fiancee wont walk away with his friend with benefit partner someday or get infected at the end because he wont use protection with whoever he gets in with. he wont have just one partner and every girl you see him with is an excuse of the agreement you both have.
      Life is full of choices my dear, you are either in or you are out. And am sure you don’t want to learn from your mistakes. Sorry am scriptural but a man who loves God and fears God will wait for you my dear. He wont allow you do same if it was vice versa.

• tola

August 5, 2014 at 6:42 pm

thank you for this reply been in a relationship for 2 years , am a virgin my boo is not but we share the same christian views. some people will say its not possible but it is .

• jcsgrl

August 5, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Wow I’m still stuck on the 22 bit and getting married. So people are still getting married that young? Don’t have any advice to add…my fellow BNers did a good job

• Boladale

August 5, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Please run away from that relationship, if truly you are a virgin. I am begging you that guy is not worth loving.

• MiddyO

August 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

My dear you are inviting the devil into your home even before you start building it. Its not easy to abstain from sex before marriage, but its very possible with the help of God and being on the same page with your man. I know this because I’m speaking from experience. We abstained for 4 and a half years before we eventually got married last year.
      If he can’t wait then he’s probably not the man for you. What happens when you get married and then either of you has to leave town for a while? Does this ‘arrangement’ continue?
      What if the supposed replacement gets pregnant or even worse transmits a disease to your fiance and later to you?
      Please think it through properly, because there’s nothing worse than being in a bad marriage, and its also one of the best things in life to marry the right man.

• Sak

August 5, 2014 at 6:53 pm

My dear let him go… The first time i willingly slept with a man was because he told me he loved me, infact half way into it, i said no, he cried on how much he loves me and we are in this forever..

News flash, after 6months, we both changed, we became different people and the forever was no longer visibile. After him, i date one more guy but sex was out of the picture…

No if i ever date anyone, kissing or even smooching is out of the picture, as you grow older, you realise thing you did that didnt worth it.. he wont wait for 3years – Keep your virginity

• Vanessa

August 6, 2014 at 3:25 am

I don’t think it will. Marry someone who shares the same beliefs as you or similar, I’m waiting and my man too is! Although we decided individually before we started dating. LOVE IS PATIENT.

• Bonny

August 19, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Sweets, word of advice; next time you post a comment/question/anything, and you are not calling for the “BEST” of our tongue, SPEAK ENGLISH!!!

That said…

7. annybeke

August 5, 2014 at 11:34 am

Wow!!! Jumoke!! You’re an original!! No story comes close to this, it doesn’t have that familiar similarity that adorns a lot of frictions these days!! Intriguing twist and turns. And what a way to create awareness about cervical cancer! Way to go girl…. U got me hooked!

8. sexy diva

August 5, 2014 at 12:27 pm

@gos pls no need 4 him to hv a frd with benefit bc a frd with benefit can turn to a wife,he will sleep with her,eat her food etc little by little dere will be a connection,dnt push him out bc he will still put bck d blame on u

9. pacesetter808

August 5, 2014 at 12:33 pm

@ 90’s …… The truth is men aren’t so emotionally attached to every woman they get sexual with so when your man told you he’s going to hook himself up with a friend with benefit, he might have meant every single word of what he said. However, complications do come up with these kind of arrangements …… he might just start liking the girl in question and might not be able to control it. In an unlikely event of such occurrence, you’ll feel very miserable for giving consent to such in the first place. Also, you don’t want to be dealing with trust issues in your marriage. It will be difficult for you to believe he’s cut all contacts with the ‘friend with benefit’. Not a very good way to start a relationship, not to mention marriage. It’s best you stand your grounds, try to convince him not to go ahead as planned. If he respects you well enough, he’ll probably see reason and abstain. Otherwise, he’ll go ahead as planned. Whichever way it goes, your conscience would be clear you weren’t a party to things getting complicated in future perhaps things turn out that way.

10. chi-e-z

August 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm

@90s You sure you really want to marry this guy? b/c you shouldn’t be able to control your urges for 3yrs like that if you do (and if the guy likes you that much too it’s miserable for him) and trust me I was never the person to advocate sex before marriage till I had an experience that made me know you’ll want to make sure you are physically compatible with who you want to marry especially if you want kids. I was with a guy for almost 4yrs first guy to see all of me and everything proposed to like immediately but after 3-4yrs we still were not compatible then I had to let it go. I found out if I’m not unbearably lustful for sm1 there’s no way anything will happen I would have been married to sm1 I couldn’t have sex with that wanted kids can you imagine his misery still love him but we just weren’t meant to be only 1 guy has ever been that unbearable lust for me and I guess that’s who I’m meant to be with until sm1 else makes me feel like that.

• Plush

August 6, 2014 at 4:14 pm

The unbearable lust factor may one of the most weighty factors to consider for you, but not necessarily for everyone, guys inclusive. It’s important that the attraction be as wholesome as possible (i.e. physically, mentally, spiritually, etc.), but the physical attraction may not be as ‘front burner’ hot for everybody as you opine.

11. Non

August 5, 2014 at 3:19 pm

No, I didn’t connect with this write-up at all. It seemed to be something more… It was mostly disjointed. Sorry, but this is honest feedback.

12. Non

August 5, 2014 at 3:20 pm

No, I didn’t connect with this write-up at all. It seemed to struggle to be something more… It was mostly disjointed. Sorry, but this is honest feedback.

• IM

August 21, 2014 at 7:30 am

i agree with this totally! it was too disjointed , lacked proper flow ……..not the best written piece but okay story line..at least i read all of it!

13. 90s

August 5, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Tanx to u all 4 ur advice, its actually difficult 4 me 2 bak out, bt I’ll try to do jus dat, a man who loves God nd fears God wil wait 4 me, I love dat statement, tanx so much

14. Titi

August 6, 2014 at 9:31 am

I agree with non. This story should have ended with the first part. This second part is mostly disjointed.

15. Titi

August 6, 2014 at 9:39 am

How do i get my prose published here?

• Damilare Aiki

August 6, 2014 at 9:40 am

Please send an e-mail to features (at) bellanaija (dot) com

• Titi

August 6, 2014 at 10:18 am

16. IM

August 21, 2014 at 7:29 am

I personally think this virginity thing is seriously overrated abeg! i got married a virgin and I’m not sure it has worked out for me as i thought it would. Lets just leave it at that !

17. ♥Lil H

October 14, 2014 at 11:04 am

@90s girl you should know your worth. You’re a virtuous woman who is waiting to do the right thing. I know I’m a little late in the mix, but he’s showed you his true colours. A selfish boyfriend = A selfish husband. A selfish lover can be your worst nightmare as a Virgin cos he’ll only be thinking of gratifying himself when he should be tender and gentle and treat you with care. If you’re saving yourself for marriage to him, what’s he doing to prepare himself for marriage to you? Sleeping with other people’s wives while his will be untouched. Er, that’s so wrong!.
    I lost my virginity to my first love before I became born again and told him we have to wait. We had issues then that same discussion and nothing came of it. We’re not married now cos so many problems came about from us being unequally yoked, please spare yourself that heartache.
    That he was bold enough to tell you he wants to go outside means he didn’t think that highly of you! Hope you’re well rid of him…
    Me, now I’m waiting until marriage to even kiss anyone now and any man who doesn’t share my belief can walk away and some have. I say good riddance to bad rubbish! It’s a decision between me and God cos I trust God knows best and has better in store than for us to be starting to share something so intimate with just anyone who may not even qualify to be your husband, covering and head in the end. Think, if he ain’t faithful now, he won’t be faithful later. All the signs are there! All the best and I like your openness