Features

This is How The Alaafin of Oyo & His 4 Wives spend their Free Time

Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 03
Did the Alaafin of Oyo subtly reveal that the secret to the success of his marriage to his 4 wives is shopping?

Well…

Recently, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi and his wives caused quite a fanfare when they stepped out to shop.

The Oba who wore a matching Ankara outfit with his queens had his manicure and later watched movies with his leading ladies.
Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 05jpg Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 01 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 06 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 02 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 09 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 011 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 013 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 012 _Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 010 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 04 Alaafin of Oyo - September 2014 - BellaNaija.com 015

Photo Credit: Sync Photos Online

1. Nkay

September 6, 2014 at 1:46 am

Na wa o.

• Ifeoma Imoh

September 6, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Na wa ooo. I will say this 10 times over. The youngest wife looks out of place as if she is lost or does not belong.

• yours truly

September 6, 2014 at 7:04 pm

More like embarrassed! Being a young lass she is probably imagining what her life could be like without all the circus. Na real wa!

• IjeUSA

September 7, 2014 at 3:44 pm

She’s wondering what she’s doing with an old dude with 3 other wives….smh

• maria

September 8, 2014 at 6:35 pm

right it was so easy to tell she looks so naive and confused. you can tell his taste. i really wonder how he does it

• eDDY

September 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

You are right my dear

• Ola

September 7, 2014 at 3:24 am

Oh Little Queen don’t you cry
      Child marriages would soon die
      I am sure you had huge dreams
      Marrying burnt grandpa slowed them down
      Just keep hoping and just see
      He’ll kick the bucket soon and you’ll be free

I hope you’ll be wiser and get a divorce
      There is so much more you can offer the world.
      Free as a bird, once again to be wise
      Second time around Little princess, do things right!

• geezee

September 8, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Ur rhyme is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LOL

November 1, 2018 at 1:44 pm

Excellent Poem. It’s even more exciting because it was spontaneous. Unfortunately for the young queen, if she waits till he kicks the bucket, tradition would not allow her to remarry. She can only be inherited by the next alaafin or stay a widow. If she doesn’t cooperate, all the jazz men in Yoruba kingdom will not let her be. She can leave the country but only Jesus can save her from all that jazz stuff. A divorce is a better option but the same threats arise, Selah.

2. Aigbomian

September 6, 2014 at 1:50 am

I find this story a bit disturbing. I am seriously thinking about what else to say.

• Author Unknown

September 6, 2014 at 4:36 am

What part of it do you find disturbing? The fact that a man has four wives, or the fact that a man has four wives and they all bleach, the fact that they’re family shopping, or the fact that they’re displaying all of that in Londontown?

• Olanma

September 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm

The way people throw the bleaching card up and down is sickening. I suppose you bought them the bleaching cream? Just cause a high percentage of people are bleaching doesn’t necessarily mean everyone is. Gosh, Nigerians!

• Ifeoma Imoh

September 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Not everyone that is fair that bleaches. I am not saying that these women have never bleached because clearly I have never seen them in person. That they’re bleaching or not is a fact I can not ascertain.
      My point is that can Nigerians just do well and stop calling every light skinned person a bleacher? It’s like saying everyone with dark skin must be using charcoal as body lotion. pffft!

• Lord Save Nigeria

September 8, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Ola bleaching card ? you must be kidding. even a deaf person can hear their skin singing BLEACH!!

• Maka

November 7, 2014 at 10:50 pm

laugh wan kill me aswear

• Dude

September 6, 2014 at 4:44 am

Ok what in God’s name is disturbing you-that the man has 4 wives or he took his wives out or they all wore the same colour of fabric or they look pretty or he did manicure or they looked light skinned..now coming to the latter if they decided to tone or whiten their skins how is that your business to the point of getting disturbed…some of you need to learn your choice of words….A man had a time out with his family and one low life somewhere is getting disturbed…mtcheww

• Praiz

September 6, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Really, i think it sayssomething about you if you are not disturbed because i definitely am. I think the more appropriate title should be a man and his harem …Ick!!

I need to go take a shower after looking at these pics. Yes, i am that irritated and disgusted!!!

3. Jerry

September 6, 2014 at 2:03 am

All this yellow. Dencia’s business must be booming!

• Dlapikin

September 6, 2014 at 5:16 am

You noticed it too!?

• mrs chidukane

September 6, 2014 at 8:03 am

@Jerry I really didn’t realize how many women bleach until I was researching shea butter with aloe Vera whip for skin and I stumbled upon one skin care forum with all these London /American Naija babe’s and mehn, the research and forum on bleaching cream is real. I was gobsmacked at how much these ladies spend on their skin,as in I was in shock! I just want skin that is even toned and that glows, I like my complexion just fine. Clearly the Oba has a type, fair is best for him.

• baboushka

September 6, 2014 at 4:13 pm

That has got to be skincaretalk.com I stumbled on it as well while researching some products and I ended up lurking for hours mehn those women have all the team lightskin concoctions you can think of including injections they even lift people’s photos of IG and start debating whether they are natural or bleached. That skin lightening forum is something else the lengths women will go to just to have light skin is beyond me…

• Ifeoma Imoh

September 7, 2014 at 1:13 pm

that must be skincaretalk.com that site is annoying. I have stumbled across it. From cheap to the very expensive bleaching creams, there must be someone that knows what you’re talking about.

• Dizzy

September 6, 2014 at 8:11 am

But you gotta admit, they are all very pretty though.

• lala

September 6, 2014 at 12:23 pm

ARE U SERIOUS?? YOU ARE NOT SEEING A BIGGER PROBLEM IN RUNNING AROUND WITH FOUR WOMEN? I WILL BE DAMNED!!!

• Lord Save Nigeria

September 8, 2014 at 8:37 pm

The fourth wife looks sad…

• Author Unknown

September 6, 2014 at 2:54 pm

as in The real #teamlightskin

4. baboushka

September 6, 2014 at 2:29 am

The little Queen (youngest looking one) looks underage and so out of place! It’s like his wife material is measured by how yellow you are or willing to be na wah o!

• Fashionista

September 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

I know!!!! She looks so uncomfortable, almost scared self.

• omalichaspeaks.blogspot.com

September 6, 2014 at 10:54 am

Yep! My thoughts exactly. Oba obviously has a thing for light skinned women. Those girls are young though. Na wa o….see wetin money dey cause.
      Aproko time- click my name to read more

• Ifeoma Imoh

September 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Lol @ Little Queen. She keeps looking lost.

5. bruno

September 6, 2014 at 2:31 am

Did this people soak themselves inside Jik, I know a carowhite user when I see one. Shameful.

6. ATL's finest

September 6, 2014 at 2:52 am

Lmao… I saw this on Linda’s blog.. Please tell me that young girl isn’t his wife.. Wahala dey ooo..

7. ROBINAHOOD

September 6, 2014 at 3:10 am

lol see how people are rushing them

8. Nelly

September 6, 2014 at 3:12 am

Does he do anything with these women. I feel like I’m in alternate universe. One of his daughters taibat is older than all these women. Just look at the chubby cheeked baby. She doesn’t look a day older than 18. This is so bizarre is money the attraction?? Wow!!!!

9. BN lover

September 6, 2014 at 3:24 am

[email protected] how is dis news eh??? Plus must all d women be white……women,be warned oh,he’s posing with another white babe dere oh…..

10. Jamce

September 6, 2014 at 3:31 am

Typical foolishness of the African rulers and elites who have nothing to offer other than vain living. See how they became fun spectacle like the clowns they are.

• Julie

September 6, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Clown and shameful. The oyinbos taking their pix wil def shows it to his friend to make funs of we Africans. Showing d world dt child marriage is a Nigeria thing.

11. Carliforniabawlar

September 6, 2014 at 3:33 am

Ahn Ahn BN! And you are speaking like an ogberi (uninitiated) , who doesn’t know that the secret to the success of their marriage is not shopping… A fomilik that bleash tohgedah stays tohgedah…. QED 😛

12. Keeping itReal

September 6, 2014 at 3:36 am

Can you imagine if it’s a wife flaunting her four husbands? How will society view that?
    How many degrading names would she called?

13. Thatnaijagirl

September 6, 2014 at 3:54 am

The girl on the far right in the first picture looks unhappy and distant from the group. In fact she looks too young to be married sef.

14. Wifey

September 6, 2014 at 3:57 am

lol. the man certainly has a type. The women have similar features. The one that looks the youngest looks like she doesn’t want to be there.

15. Truth

September 6, 2014 at 4:07 am

We need to stop this rubbish about every fair person being referred to as bleachers, not every fair person bleaches

• baboushka

September 6, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Sweetie I would have agreed with you but someone put a link to one of the Queens IG queenomoh1 on another blog and the dark knuckles all over her photos and some of her co wives are evidence enough

• IjeUSA

September 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm

In this case, their “fair skin” looks unnatural – just a fact. Not saying that they are not naturally light skinned but they’ve clearly done some things to enhance their skin ‘cos they look somewhat translucent. The Oba himself has bleached himself to bad skin – look at his hands!

• pebbles

September 14, 2014 at 3:19 am

I seriously think it is a bad case of wrong foundation shade.

16. swits

September 6, 2014 at 4:14 am

@ Jerry: I dey tell u

17. vickky

September 6, 2014 at 4:29 am

a family that bleaches together, stays together……on a side note tho…this money issue would do a die man something ooo..(excuse my expression), y is this last wife, the youngest of them all with a man old enough to be her grandfather? and please let no one tell me it’s love….how does she bring herself to kiss him sef bf doing the do?…she must be high all the time i think….see all them, now thinking they are celebrities, him for having four wives and them for marrying him…na wa for this world sha…nways, to each his own.

• Wale

September 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm

*cough* you mean great grand father…

• Asanwa baby

September 6, 2014 at 8:22 pm

lmaaaaoooo you guys wont kill me with comments ooo

18. chichi

September 6, 2014 at 4:42 am

He sure has a type

19. wickedbandit

September 6, 2014 at 4:48 am

but where did Tillaman now come from if they’re all “laiskinned”?? #questionforthegods

• Ck

September 6, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Lol clearly these are his younger wives they are all under 40 so I’m sure his older wife(wives) are 60yrs or so and probably not flashy enough to take out on holiday. Actually they’ve been on holiday for over month they first flew to Brazil

20. mogbo moya

September 6, 2014 at 5:18 am

Disgusting, I still cant comprehend how a man can be sleeping with four women under one roof…its even worse when they seem happy loool

• john

September 6, 2014 at 3:36 pm

pls madam its not disgusting its just being realand ita part of the accepted culture at least theres no burden of cheating or being cheated upon and they all seem happy

• Changing Faces

September 6, 2014 at 7:12 pm

So people that have multiple wives don’t cheat? Really?

• Praiz

September 6, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Lol…any guy that has four wives is going to cheat oh and probably already is.
      Do not be deceived! It takes discipline to remain faithful and a man like this clearly has none. He will add to this number…just watch this space.

• Bella

September 8, 2014 at 10:17 am

for that comment you are clearly foolish, his wives x 4 to say – what makes you think he is not cheating /committing adultery. Im sorry yes I am Nigerian but this concept of multiple wives need to be beaten off to death! This young girl sef, the entire family has no self respect to want to sell her to such an old museam. Has she no dreams of school, graduating, getting a job and falling in love with someone her age. She is clearly uncomfortable (in my case whether from shame or the shock of London and what is LIFE out side of her Oga and gatemen. I will never condone child bride and no matter how much poverty we all suffer that is no reason to sell your child to an old goat!

• big bros

June 12, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I suspect they are mo dan 4 wat abt his oda wife. som1 said 1 of his dota is older dan dis 4

21. Dizzy

September 6, 2014 at 5:44 am

I don’t even know who this man is, but his swag is on point!!

• Praiz

September 6, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Really??? Which swag?? All i can think about is the type of guy that drives rather slowly through known areas of prostitution.
      You know the type that you see in the old american movies. Those rather creepy types who appear respectable during the day but can only seem to get a woman to perform a sexual act by paying for it with creased grease stained notes taken from the dirty back seat or brown paper bag filled glove compartment.

Just being honest oh!

22. dups

September 6, 2014 at 6:00 am

is typing a message…..

23. blessing

September 6, 2014 at 6:18 am

na wa ohhhh,the younger wife looks lost and confused.dis one no be love ohhhhh.yea and they re really patronizing this dencia things.

24. anonymous

September 6, 2014 at 6:31 am

Shopping without shopping bags

• Ade

September 6, 2014 at 2:36 pm

You wouldn’t expect the olori’s to carry their own bags! That’s what their aides are there for

• john

September 6, 2014 at 3:36 pm

smart response

25. juel king

September 6, 2014 at 7:46 am

Interestn fotos…havin girl frnds dt amount na wahala talkless of marryin em nd puttin em in1 roof…well na alafin,he’s a strong man

26. LOL

September 6, 2014 at 8:11 am

I really feel for the poor young girl – she looks barely 18. Poverty is evil.

27. Itsjusme

September 6, 2014 at 8:12 am

He has 16 wives, the youngest in the group of 4 is 19 years old. That is absolutely disgusting and all of em look like they bath in a tub of bleach…

• humm??

September 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm

16 wives? ewww talk about STD galore

• justme

September 6, 2014 at 11:11 pm

yes and 92 children lol

• ada1

September 8, 2014 at 8:52 am

92 children? Omg! chai!

28. Dizzy

September 6, 2014 at 8:13 am

The worst part is that all his wives look alike , this man just married 4 duplicates……. Talk about having a spec!

29. bake

September 6, 2014 at 8:20 am

so why do they want to kill themselves on the escalator!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Fashionista

September 6, 2014 at 10:20 am

LMAOOOO!

• Keeping itReal

September 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm

@ Bake i tell you, or they want to suffocate him. I guess everyone is fighting for his attention.

• Tudbee

September 6, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Lmao. I know right? The first thing I said was why do three of them have to stand on one step, someone could have moved up a step.

• Morolake

September 7, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Hahahhahaahha, @bake, you are the Joan Rivers of this post. You just said out loud what everyone was thinking…lol.

30. Lekksite

September 6, 2014 at 8:27 am

Still disturbing me . How is he coping with the 4 wives…
    well enjoy kabiyesi

31. ice

September 6, 2014 at 8:36 am

hmmmm,d women sha

32. Tina

September 6, 2014 at 8:50 am

See serious bleaching

33. joseph joshua

September 6, 2014 at 9:02 am

wao that’s nice

34. C'est moi

September 6, 2014 at 9:10 am

His daughters look so alike

• Maka

November 7, 2014 at 11:02 pm

@daughters?! LWKMD Choi!!

35. aderonke

September 6, 2014 at 9:12 am

that last wife is so young and looks scared.

36. your favorite civil servant

September 6, 2014 at 9:37 am

Well it’s their culture. If the alaafin is happy and his wives are not complaining why are people purging on their behalf?. The wives are probably happier than many women claiming ‘only wives’ while their husbands go after anything in skirt.

37. Dee

September 6, 2014 at 10:10 am

Naija ppl I came across the last wife Instagram page a few month back n I was surprise n even start complaining to ppl than i come to realise that is a culture thing….if you r to marry oba u definitely know he will have multiple wife also as for the last wife look sum how I think is the location that might have put her off Bcuz on Instagram she look very happy to marry to oba also there r more than four wives by the way…not all of them bleach ooo Bcuz if u look on their page u will no they r naturally dark skin…,yh yes at-least they know the score as for rest of you complaining do u know what your husband dey do outside cha

• RS

September 6, 2014 at 2:05 pm

What’s her user name on instagram…. sharing is caring wink*

• oh no

September 7, 2014 at 12:24 am

U guys are soooo wrong on BN

• Gabby

September 7, 2014 at 12:28 am

User name: Olori 2: Password: sharing is caring

38. Dee

September 6, 2014 at 10:11 am

Light skin*

39. Olori Tari

September 6, 2014 at 10:21 am

Loool this man is my role model please! He definitely gets it when they say “They will fall in place when you have it”. #NewRoleModel

40. Demashi

September 6, 2014 at 11:01 am

I admire such men , my late father-in-law had 4 wives & he managed the family pretty well. I am monogamist but for some of these women, this is their only chance for a happily-ever-after.

41. benny

September 6, 2014 at 11:01 am

These babes are legit happy o. Forget. They wear whatever they want to wear. They are on instagram. They follow each other, tag each other on instagram, appreciate the older wives etc etc. This is what works for them. I do not like it but if they are happy it is their life. They can bleach if they want to; if it makes them feel prettier, good for them. Im pretty sure most of them are from poor families and if they married for money; GOOD FOR THEM TOO… theyv done wellllll. He treats them well. No reason to hate.
    The rest of us should worry about our own homes. Does ur man treat you right? Is he faithful? How is Oba’s choice which OBVIOUSLY mirrors his tradition affect you? Why so bitter?

42. nyinyes

September 6, 2014 at 11:24 am

They all look sad, n bleached

43. Jen

September 6, 2014 at 11:56 am

Some of you are so deluded. How many of you are the only woman a man is sleeping with? Yet you can open your mouth here and say this is disgusting. If your husbands had his wealth and influence, they would marry 50 women. Even if the broke asses you’re carrying now were to bring out all the skeletons in their closets, there might be more than four women on the escalator.

• Changing Faces

September 6, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Nne biko cool down, no be fight. If your oga is cheating, pour all this aggression on him…. calling people deluded because they don’t want to be 1 of many?

• Tudbee

September 6, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I wonder o. Why does every naija woman have to assume all other husbands are cheating or allude to it just because theirs is?

• Jen

September 7, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Where is the aggression? And why assume I’m married? I’m not. This hypocrisy being one of the many reasons. “”Deluded” is not an insult, especially not in this case where its a fact. Coming on a blog to judge like your ish don’t stink.

• Ibie

March 15, 2016 at 11:05 am

Your use of word is excellent!

44. From Cambridgeshire

September 6, 2014 at 12:02 pm

They look like a side freak show, lol! Education and exposure is good sha; you won’t find educated/exposed Obas like Ooni of Ife, Alake of Egbaland et al posing abroad like this – they know oyinbos won’t understand their culture, so they won’t pull this kinda stunt! I think the Alake has only one wife sef, cos I only see him in public with his elderly wife – my kind of guy:)

mormusicgroup.blogspot.co.uk

• Lorenz

September 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Do you need an “oyinbo” to validate your beliefs and culture. If them no understand, them no understand be that.

• Wale

September 6, 2014 at 4:25 pm

God bless you!!! When did oyibo culture become our standard? Did God not create every human equally?

• Anon

September 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Strangely enough, he’s a trained Lawyer, schooled and lived abroad and is quite exposed. This is his culture and besides Lamidi is a Moslem. There goes…

• Jangulova

September 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Emmm…Ooni of Ife has multiple wives tho.

• Amh

September 6, 2014 at 8:21 pm

You are obviously a kid and nor versed in knowledge. The foreign kids fron history has numerous concubines who bore them several children. What is the freak show there. He is the Alafin of oyo. am sure majority of you commenters probably do not know who he is. When your brain is saturated with kim kardshian and miley cyrus. Ignorant kids.

45. What??

September 6, 2014 at 12:27 pm

BN, I dont find this cute at all. It is gross and disturbing.

46. AngelM

September 6, 2014 at 1:02 pm

This is disturbing that BN find this to be news worthy. Glorifying a man with many wives is simply another big step backwards! And I’m a man before you start screaming your heads off!

• Wale

September 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Again by whose standard-where was it written that it is one man,one wife? In fact, one woman,one man for that matter? I remember in my anthropology class ages ago that there were some societies that allowed women to marry multiple husbands. Again-live and let live!

• Olanne

September 7, 2014 at 12:19 am

And your great-grandfather married only one wife abi?! It is HIS culture! So, stop acting like your stupid western education means anything here! Rubbish!

• wow

September 7, 2014 at 3:23 pm

@Olanne, dont be stuck on stupid ,you been freed from the dark ages. This is 2014 in case you ve forgotten.

47. Crystal

September 6, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Not every fair person dey bleach Biko nu

48. Ephi

September 6, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I’m curious, what was the movie they watched?! 🙂

• Ayishaa

September 6, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Probably coming to America or Osofia in London…lol

49. Queen

September 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Lol. Been laughing for 5mins now. What a show! All those oyinbo people must be wondering like what the heck! Youngest wife looks so shy. And why does it seem like they had to be so close to each other on the escalator? Lol. . Alaafin sure knows how to pick em.

• Keeping itReal

September 6, 2014 at 5:30 pm

It must be her parents who forced or should I say encouraged her as a financial security for her family and kids.

50. tunmi

September 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm

All that comes to mind is “The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’s Wives” excellent book

• Jen

September 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Really? I found it so boring so I didn’t finish it. Maybe I should try again.

51. Lolita

September 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Guys with multiple wives. Have you wondered if they ever all do “things” together? #justasking #pleaseeducateme

• Wale

September 6, 2014 at 4:30 pm

You’d love that wouldn’t you;)

52. Lorenz

September 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm

The man’s swag is on point jare! He is a king na. Atleast he strives to achieve equal treatment, and that only shows he’s not a hypocrite. You ladies can say what you like, but polygamy is inherent, Its part of man’s nature; even if we all strive to attain the mythical monogamy. From Abraham, to Beckham, to Clinton; show me one man who has truly defeated his true nature.

• Keeping itReal

September 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm

As a man thinks, so he is

53. Lusciouskels

September 6, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Are there the younger wives? Cos dere can’t be his youthful love as dere er all too young..Kai smh for dis women degradation….

54. Wale

September 6, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Love

55. A-de-le not adele

September 6, 2014 at 5:22 pm

What’s love got to do, got to do with it….

• Keeping itReal

September 6, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Shopping sure do have everything to do with it. Lol

56. Ah ah

September 6, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Emmmm….Polygamy is not my cup of tea o, but if they are happy, whats ur own? It has been our culture for yonks and all of a sudden we get “exposed” and start calling it “archaic” and “disgusting”. Most of ur grandpas or even fathers sef had more than one wives. Let people live their lives in peace biko. Do what works for YOU, and stop expecting everyone to mirror their lives to yours. Some are saying they need to be enlightened…..abi u mean they need to adopt western culture? African love upholding the western culture like their lives depend on it, but never has westerners ever held any of our traditions or cultural practices as a standard….what does this say about YOU?

Like i said, i will never be involved in a polygamous situation nor will i even tolerate cheating, but that is just ME. However, i am not gonna knock these people for practicing their own culture. As long as they’re happy, what’s n e one’s business? Many of u are married or in serious relationships and ur men are whoring around all over the place….having babies outside and bringing diseases home, yet u don’t see the irony in bashing this situation? At least they had the balls to make their situation legit, instead of piom pio-ing around with different partners.

Nigerians….stop being overly sanctimonious….Live and let live!

If the parties involved weren’t forced into the union against their will, then its NEVER in ur place to judge….especially when many of u have logs in ur own damn eyes!

• Changing Faces

September 6, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I still want to understand this argument that a man with many wives doesn’t cheat. If people feel it’s archaic and disgusting, that’s their opinion. You are also being sanctimonious deciding what people’s opinions should be. So maybe you should take your own advice… live and let live

• Olanne

September 7, 2014 at 12:22 am

Thank you! The backwardness of some so called “educated” Nigerians disgusts me! It is HIS culture! HIS culture! THEIR culture! This is exactly why we need to really educate ourselves before trying to answer “yes sah!” like fools to the white man. Trace all your history, your grandfathers was probably polygamous! I can assure them that!

• praiz

September 7, 2014 at 9:01 am

And your point is???? So because my grandfather was polygamous, I should now accept that as proper standard of behaviour decades later????
      Na wa, ‘ my people perish for lack of wisdom!
      A man or society who refuses to evolve and change with the times will eventually become extinct. True talk! Its a main component of natural selection/theory of evolution and applies to humans as well as animals.
      The truth is polygamy is an inefficient way to run a society. Look around the world and compare societies with a large degree of polygamy to those with monogamy and you immediately notice a stark difference. Those who come here defending polygamy should know that happy marriages of this sort are few and far between. 90% of these family types end up with strife between family members generations later over land, money, kids, etc. Look at what happened with the Abiolas, having to take dna tests to prove paternity. For the most part, polygamy produces kids who grow up into adulthood not knowing what it really means to be a spouse or a parent in the proper sense.
      Just disgusting!!!

• Really

September 7, 2014 at 12:35 am

Why are u so emoionally invested in this topic? You have practically written an entire page to defend this disgusting behavior. So stop lying bcos its obvious that you are either dating a married person or in a ploygamous marriage. Own it and stop being a hypocrite..

57. Dazzle

September 6, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Can’t stop reeling. In fact I’m utterly speechless, pretty funny comments erwhr. 🙂 🙂

58. Keeping itReal

September 6, 2014 at 5:42 pm

The youngest wife feels out of touch with reality. I know she probably saw some girs her age with their boyfriends or husbands, and she’s wondering what am i even doing here? Wonder her first reaction when this man took off his clothes to sleep with her? I know she probably cleaned herself up with bleach afterwards. Hahaha.
    An old Naija man came with this young girl to a store in Dallas ; Texas, and my friend told her, her Dad wants to see her outside. She was so embarrassed, stuttered and whispered back “that’s my h..h…husband ” So sad.
    Many Naija men in the U.S always marry very young girls, either because she’s a Nurse, or as a trophy wife

• Hey

September 6, 2014 at 7:48 pm

And you don’t like being a trophy wife? Me, I don’t mind. In short I crave it. Being not a trophy wife does not make you better than one who is. I am well educated and earn my own money and if God comes down and asks me if I want to be a trophy wife, my answer is a big YES.

• Praiz

September 6, 2014 at 11:00 pm

@ Hey, Eyah! O ma se oh!

59. LILO

September 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Why do i empathize so much with the youngest wife? She looks captive

• LILO

September 6, 2014 at 6:50 pm

She looks like an abductee …20 years from now, she might be bold to tell her story

• Sugardaddy

September 7, 2014 at 9:21 am

OMG, ROTFL

60. From Cambridgeshire

September 6, 2014 at 7:12 pm

In my view, the issue on this post isn’t even about having multiple wives – thats no news! Its not my thing and I respect older naija men that stay married to one woman. By the way, my paternal Grandfather had about four wives, whilst my maternal grandfather only married one. The polygamous drama and politics between my aunties and uncle after my paternal Grandfather passed away – that one na story for another day. For polygamists out there please think of what happens after you pass away, cause thats when everyone’s true colours will be revealed……

Back to my issue with this post. I’m seriously convinced Alaafin and his wives wanted to make the news, because I just can’t seem to figure out why they felt the need to parade themselves like that at a mall. They were even posing for pictures sef, yeah I’m convinced some PR person thought this would be a great idea.

To the commentator who called me out on Ooni of Ife, please go back and read my comment – I said he was exposed/educated, however, I also said I’ve only seen Alake with his elderly wife. Of course Ooni has multiple wives. And this ain’t even about oyinbo standards, its about a time and a place for everything. This was not a proper way to showcase our culture of polygamy cos most of those people staring thought they looked funny. If I bumped into them sef, I go laugh.

• Wale

September 7, 2014 at 2:28 am

I pray you grow out of your inferiority complex. You’ve just augmented what you said earlier. My original comment still holds.

61. pelly

September 6, 2014 at 7:37 pm

young girls and old men,
    poverty is very bad
    how can he satisfy 16 wives,
    ‘solomonic’ spirit.

62. fleur

September 6, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Interesting. Are they all sisters?

63. Khaleesi

September 6, 2014 at 8:16 pm

thank God i”m not the only one who noticed that the youngest one looks out of place. why would her parents allow her to be a th wife though?!

and yes, the bleaching is far too obvious

64. Amh

September 6, 2014 at 8:26 pm

It is an honor to be a queen. Read up people he is the Alafin of oyo. Not wizkid, ignorant generation. Why the silly talk of bleaching its disgusting. Do white people condemn themselves for tanning or butt injections or boobs job or lip injection, no they dont. So why do the black rAce loves to pull its own down. Enough of the bleaching comments.

65. Plush

September 6, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Is it that no one noticed the colourful tattoo on one of Olori’s wrists (at the manicure man’s stand) ? Found that interesting 🙂 Asa-ibile yeah?

66. sarcastically speaking

September 6, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Ladies, don’t y’all think this is the way to go in order to solve this high level of singleness?

men should start helping the ladies out by taking 6 more wives to make 7 in order to fulfill the scriptures.

what y’all think?

• justsaying

September 7, 2014 at 9:24 am

Yup,and increase your chances of getting AIDS, SYPHILLIS , CERVICAL CANCER etc

67. novex

September 6, 2014 at 10:28 pm

king my eye. why expose your king ship to the gawking pleasure of all those commoners. abi na becos na oyibo commoners. When other kings and Queens visit mall they close the damn place down . If na nigeria now them no go let common man use the same road them use. I am not impressed, Bella were there no pictures of his kingship and queennetteships having dinner at the Queens palace. was there no royal reception organised by the Queen for them.

68. Richie's momma

September 6, 2014 at 10:59 pm

A catchy tune forming in my mind already. *four fair ladies on an escalator* tralalalala lalala

69. Lerato

September 7, 2014 at 12:25 am

If they are happy it is nobody’s business.

70. Helen

September 7, 2014 at 12:41 am

This man sure came out looking the shortest, for a man that likes to pick many wives. lol

71. Mems

September 7, 2014 at 12:56 am

The king and his eyes…….

72. freeman chekwas

September 7, 2014 at 1:15 am

Is so clear he likes fair skin ladies so the competition is high among them…hmmm taking them out for shopping and showing them like flowers is not a problem but taking them in to shop on them…….u get??????

73. T''Osh

September 7, 2014 at 3:42 am

that elevator picture though. why are they all cramped in the same space? hope they got off it without injury. hehehe

74. Warri Pickin

September 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

No senoir Olori ( Elder and more like a real Olori ) with Alafin does this mean he did not marry early , which means his children are young within the ages of 1- 30yrs, i am as well disturbed by this, …Abeg explain to me anyone pls !!!

75. Lizi

September 7, 2014 at 11:25 am

Ok ooo…..They have said all I want to say.

76. The Ivorian

September 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This man is exporting is culture so what’s the matter with you guies?
    Thanks to him I personally know more about the Yoruba culture. Curiosity took me to google to check the meaning of Alaafin… BE PROUD OF YOUR CULTURE. There is nothing disgusting about it.

• Praiz

September 7, 2014 at 6:19 pm

What are you talking about abeg? Maybe you would have still gone to check what alaafin means if you had seen a post about him giving to charity or commenting on intellectual and/or political issues.

Please shift! Dont tell us not to be ashamed of this as if it is all the Yoruba culture is about. Polygamy is not the entirety of my culture and it is not even a main component. There are so many other things about the Yoruba culture that are awesome and that i can be proud of.

• Finny

September 10, 2014 at 3:48 am

Suffer head

77. Kingsley

September 7, 2014 at 3:43 pm

There is a saying – The only woman who knows where her husband is, is a widow. They are enjoying themselves and look well maintained. You are all so ignorant commenting negative thoughts. First, you are in a monogamy relationship yet, your husband has multiple partners outside and most of you, your husband can’t dare take you any where or show you off or take you on holiday. Interesting, you are referring to them as Alaafin wives, there are probably nonentity prior and they seem happy to be his wife for better living standard. Becos the white man says polygamy is unlawful, you fools obey as usual. The white man says Gay is OK, they fools accept as usual. BIG FOOLS

• ife

September 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

You are very right. Yes I support your decision to hand over your baby girl to this wonderful beautiful culture of polygamy. So proud that we still have people like you who are willing to sacrifice, sorry I mean hand over the lives and dreams of their girl children into the beds of what you so rightfully declare wise old royal men. To keep them young and on top of the matter. You are a rare breed. It is not everyone who will allow their girl children to grace the beds of papa, shameful to say myself included. it would be better if your type are put on an island somewhere far away from the disgusting ,selfish influence of modern day culture. We are not worthy to live along side your strong sense of traditional duty.

• justsaying

September 8, 2014 at 7:14 am

yes o. kudos to Kingsley and the supporters of child bride and polygamy. thanks to them we selfish ones don’t have to fear for our girls. as long as people exist who are ready to offer their own children for the propagation of culture.

78. fume

September 7, 2014 at 4:00 pm

What would we say about the playboy mansion. Disgusting? cos i cant seem to understand what that old guy does with those young girls. I don’t think this guy does MUCH( Hands over eyes) with these women there are 16 of them for crying out loud. If they’re happy, what more can we do but to sit and sip our teas. No amount of comments would annul their marriage or reduce the number of wives.

79. Tosin

September 7, 2014 at 7:37 pm

swag!
    just kidding. sort of.

80. my 50cents

September 7, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Cheating KE!!!!! they are sharing one man. you really think they care if the man dey cheat. They’ve got 99 problems and am sure cheating ain’t on the list.

81. Arockey Bombay

September 7, 2014 at 10:30 pm

There is nothing good or bad- only our thinking makes it one or the other. That’s what William Shakespeare said. So, if your thought process says polygamy is bad, then don’t practice it but don’t quote western culture as the example to follow. Read the bible and read European and American history and see how hypocritical western culture can be. Abraham- the Jewish father of Christian faith was a wicked polygamist who threw his mistress and son out to die in the desert. Jacob- the Israel of Yahweh, was a doubly wicked polygamist who married two sisters and then married their maids. Do you know how the Anglican Church came to be separate from the Roman Catholic Church? It’s all down to polygamy! And have you not read about how American aristocrats routinely used their pretty African slave girls as concubines even to the knowledge of their Caucasian wives? Get real people. Develop your own morality and stop quoting all these bad examples because “western cultures” said African culture is backward. Every one shall give account of himself or herself- there will be no ethnic or racial groupthink to hide under. On a lighter note, the bible forecasted that seven women shall be begging to be the wives of one man- at least in name only! Go on Lamidi and make them seven if the older wives are less than 3!!

• praiz

September 8, 2014 at 7:20 am

See my response to Olanne. Again I ask, your point is??

82. yesisaidit

September 7, 2014 at 11:19 pm

that Westfield shopping center in stratford city (don’t call it a mall – its an insult to Americans who invented it) – is the most RAZZ shopping center i have ever been to. So overrated, Too overcrowded, And Dirty. London is one of the dirtiest cities i have ever been to. Coming from Alpharetta GA to visit London, i cant wait to return back to the states. Too many cigarette smokers, spits, flirms, bad body odours – i mean too many disgusting dirty folks living in London especially East London where am at (its like am in mecca or something). I mean i always watch the ground when am walking being careful not to step on spit.

• justsaying

September 7, 2014 at 11:55 pm

oh poor child you have probably never been to your father land before. look at you claiming Americana, shame on you child you sure is razzzzzz.

83. babes

September 8, 2014 at 9:45 am

@Yesisaidit: That is a mall, in the States there are malls of different sizes and varying degree of’ ‘poshness’. Next time you come to the UK save up for a nicer area like the West end and stop complaining about Stratford – that’s what you could afford. Its like staying in the not so nice area of Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx and then complai
    ning that New York City is crap.

84. mulikat

September 8, 2014 at 10:23 am

the young Queens dont need divorce now,the king is 76yrs already and none of the queen is up to 40yrs,if he die,they hold their olori respect and money,then they look for another young king or tradition leders.cos in yoruba culture they cant marry an other person without tridition tiltle ,that only problem they have,but their many young kings now in yoruba land,under 40 and 50yr well educated also they can marry more wifes ,with their young,money and beauty that wont be problem if still want to remarry.

85. derhmy

September 8, 2014 at 10:42 am

r they quadruplets? they all look alike to me…all yellowish….

86. chika

September 8, 2014 at 11:32 am

RODF…………. una no go kee me for this site sha……Lwkmd

87. Omo1

September 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

Why do they all look the same..?

88. From Cambridgeshire

September 8, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Bellanaija please fix your ‘Love this’ settings. I mistakenly clicked ‘Love this’ twice on a comment (not mine) and I noticed the number kept increasing – the settings should only allow one click per person. If you can’t fix it then please remove it cos some people are clicking ‘Love this’ on their comments multiple times to give the impressiion their opinions have majority approval. Infact all the comments with over 50 ‘Love this’ are suspect, lol!

• tobiloba

September 11, 2014 at 4:29 pm

🙂 I loved ur comment ‘ten’ times

89. nawa

September 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

so all of you that have being shouting ‘culture this, culture that’, if you were born into the culture where twin babies were killed you will gladly accept it. My point is that regardless of culture or modern education, wrong is wrong, and right is right.

*not saying polygamy is wrong or right, just saying what exactly are its effects as opposed to monogamy.

90. Maureen Bandari

September 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm

just following the comments with my popcorns in hand. continue..
    thefunshionmistress.com/laced-up

91. Tosin

September 9, 2014 at 7:43 am

What exactly has the culture of polygamy done to enhance life , international, at home and even in your bank account. The west use to do it and it is biblical but people LEARN and MOVE on from that which has been time tested and understood to be irrelevant and in fact an obstacle to progress. Some people NEVER learn and it is a genetic flaw. Nigeria is in a continous cycle of deprivation and severe inequalities in health and wellbeing because of idiots who CANT reason. Keep fanning the ambers of this fire of ignorants. It is always people like your retarded self that suffer from the wild fire that ensues, the rest of us are resilient and immune to this stupid virus.

92. JustaGirl

September 12, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Hmm..

93. gloria

October 16, 2014 at 2:01 pm

kaaaaabiesi oooooo, ki ade pe lori,ki bata pe lese,i salute u my king lol

94. reva

February 8, 2015 at 8:08 pm

I knw there z war in dat Palace!!! Hmmm

95. The Aremo

May 21, 2015 at 4:14 pm

The Alaafin, is one of the most senior or Yoruba Royalty. He is the custodian of Yoruba culture and heritage. I think both tribal scars and polygamy are good African cultural values, uncorrupted by western culture. The only point of issue is that if you are going to have four wives surely it would be better to have different looking ones rather than sort of older and younger versions of each other? Those who have adapted Western values would have a problem with Polygamy but not Homosexual marriage …………………………………..

96. big bros

June 12, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Abi u 2 don begin bleach? Physical beauty is adorn or xpresed naturaly not by pilling ur skin