News

“I got assaulted by a policewoman”: Youth Corper Shares her Ordeal with BN

BellaNaija.com

NYSC Corper Brutalized

On Twitter yesterday, there was a trending conversation about a female youth corper named Odachi Abah, who was allegedly assaulted by a female police officer.  Her sister, Ene Abah tweeted about the incident frequently yesterday, and so we reached out to her to share her story with us.

This is Odachi’s account:

“On the 8th of October 2014 I got assaulted by a Policewoman. This is what happened.

On my way home from Oshodi-Isolo LGA, Lagos State, Nigeria with a friend Maduka Benson after my NYSC clearance our vehicle (Honda accord) entered a hole which pulled part of the car bumper. The policewoman standing in front controlling the traffic kept shouting at us. And so Maduka who was drivin, tried to explain to her that the car bumper was stuck, but she insisted that we should get out of the way. A man told my friend not to move, warning that if he did, the entire bumper would be ripped from the car. He then crossed over to our side of the road, and helped us fix the bumper so we could move on.

The policewoman named, Justina, walked towards the window, facing where I was sitting and shouted in broken English “SEE AS YOU FAT LIKE MUMU FULL THE MOTOR.” My friend and I came out from the car asking the woman what we had done wrong to be insulted in that manner.

She kept shouting and raising hell. I was wearing my NYSC uniform at the time, so I walked towards her. Surprisingly, she pushed me back and pulled out her weapon (a baton) and hit me on my face three times.

The first one knocked my glasses off my face while the rest hit parts of my face which resulted in instant bleeding. I bled for a long time while searching for the woman until I clearly heard her colleagues telling her to run and hide.

The police woman took to their advice and ran away. Other policewomen suddenly surfaced at the scene and one of them started calling my friend an armed robber for no reason.We asked them which station they were from, but they refused to tell us.

Maduka then decided to block the entire road causing traffic, in order to force the police woman to reveal what police station they were from. Finally, one of the female police officers told us that they were from Makinde police station, in Mafoluku, Oshodi.

A few minutes later a police Hilux vehicle arrived at the scene telling us to get back inside our car so we could go to Makinde police station. A police man sat at the back seat in our car, while the rest remained in their vehicle , driving in front of us to Makinde police station.

When we got to the station my friend asked for the station officer (S.O) – but they said he wasn’t around. My friend and I tried to explain the situation to the two policewomen we met at the station. Suddenly, one of them started telling my friend to reduce his voice, saying that we should keep the incident a secret.

One of the policemen who came to the scene where I was assaulted, approached  us and told us that his boss, who is a female, would like to see  us in her office. When we got to the office, she summoned the policewoman that assaulted me over the phone and also called another police man named David to investigate the matter.

My friend narrated the incident to the police boss in detail.

Justina, the policewoman who assaulted me finally came in for questioning. Their boss proceeded to ask her to explain what had happened. The policewoman then began to lie, saying that Maduka and I had beat her up, and that we took her police cap and removed buttons from her uniform.

After Justina’s stories, her superior could tell that she was lying. And so she ordered David to put Justina in a police cell. Afterwards we  write wrote our statements.

The police boss then begged us to  forgive Justina. She then took our phone numbers and promised to call us when they need us. We agreed and left the station.

We still intend to take proper legal action against Justina because she may have been brutalizing others and getting away with it.  We want her to face the consequences of her actions.”

Photo/Video Credit: Odachi Abah/Ene Abah

1. Truth Teller

October 9, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Let us know whatever kind of support you need to get justice, this has to stop! I’m so angry I can’t put myself together to write what I really want to. This MUST stop! Injustice in Nigeria MUST stop! This is illegal and wrong on ALL levels, justice MUST prevail. You can’t afford to settle for a mere ‘apology’, that’s the same way they kill innocent citizens and get away with it. I’m so upset right now, I’ll return with my actual comment after venting off.

October 10, 2014 at 3:13 pm

• vandam

October 23, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Maduka johnson she. Is talking about is a known fraudster when did he become a journalist a 419 in Ajao estate claiming to be a journalist too bad we should always tell our self’s the truth police are not slaves there. Should also be respected after all there are lots of graduate in the police force if you. Put on a coper uniform does that make you above the law so the police have got no right to ask you to leave the road when their duty. Is to make. Sure the road is clear and there is free traffic passage, no there would ask the police. To come help them fix up their. Bumber god dey ooo you want justice she should be dismiss or you should. Be compasated and paid 25 m illion naira abi?

• Nkechi

October 26, 2015 at 5:36 pm

A lot of people cannot connect some of their problems in life to verbal insults hurled at a fellow human being. We have to be careful what we do to other people because their maker is watching. It is not your business and responsibility to insult anyone fat or thin. Don’t get another human being depressed. God still watches. In 2 Kings 23, some boys came out of the city and jeered at Prophet Elisha calling him bald head. Two bears came out of the woods and devoured 42 of them. Another incidence happened in New York, a lady singing in the choir who had a scared face as a result of an operation was singing in the choir, a pretty lady was talking to her friend about it and they were staring. Guess what, miss pretty had an accident the next month, she did her surgery in a better place and came back with a scared face. I can go on and on. My aunt’s friend looked down on those who lose their homes and felt their were a bunch of lazy people. She lost hers to. Whether you are at work, school, home etc. Be careful what you say to another human being. The angels are keeping records, you don’t need shame, disgrace or embarrassment in your life. I remember another story of lady, a lawyer who looked down upon a sweaty man of God as he ministered. What she got out of it was painful sex, it was compared to the case of a woman in labor. She went to apologize to the man of God even though he didn’t even know that he was despised, yet God who sees the heart saw it. Please don’t add extra baggage to your life. There are ways to help people if they are becoming what you don’t like but please don’t be verbally abusive and make another human being sad by your words. Be careful,. that woman could not have linked a problem which came into her life with despise. Watch out. I saw a group of fat people yesterday, they looked like they were all in a family and this is what came to my mind, maybe they can’t even afford healthy food. If I had the means or opportunity to help or if I were close to them, there are wise ways to help but I will never insult them because I also have challenges in my life that I want God to crush completely so why should I make another human beings pain my own source of comic relief or laughter.

• Ola

October 26, 2015 at 5:43 pm

My friend and I attended a wedding in England so she told me about a girl that gave her hope in getting married at the right time. She said the girl was so ugly and that many people felt that if someone like her was married then they can be married too. I told my aunty about it when I got home, my aunty said that’s why she is married and they are not because they looked down on her and depended on their looks yet with her ugly looks she got married before them. Please note that this is not the case of every woman out there because this issue is sensitive but I just picked this case in isolation in other to buttress Nkechi’s point. Thank you

2. Son of a Dick (Dickson)

October 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm

What else do u want? Her superior has done enough by blaming and diciplining her in ur present…u’ve gotta leave d rest to God. Abi she kill u ni???

• pipi

October 9, 2014 at 6:01 pm

You this is our problem in Nigeria! Right there this is it… people like this

October 10, 2014 at 3:05 pm

She assaulted the police woman first by slapping her on uniform?Put yourself in her shoe.A civilian to slapped a personnel

• Avuu

October 9, 2014 at 6:07 pm

So if she was dead, it will then be okay to take proper legal action?

• deb

October 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Son of a -, may your – rot to your dissatisfaction. Say NO to POLICE BRUTALITY.

October 10, 2014 at 3:14 pm

• Dunni

October 9, 2014 at 6:26 pm

like seriously, are u for real?you are highly ignorant. Don’t you know that if proper legal action is not taken, she and her cohorts will believe its alright to beat anyone and get away with it. . what give you the assurance that she was not released from the cell immediately the corpers left the station.

• Que

October 9, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I typically try to reason issues out with people without name calling but I’ll make an exception for u…..you are a true son of a dick plus a goat to go with that…..emptiness does not begin to describe ur brain…olodo! That goes for you and all the idiotic likers of your daft comment! Ashiere….the lot of you! I cant waste my energy explaining why legal action is necessary cos your brain certainly can’t handle such knowledge!

October 10, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Go to oshodi find out about the in question where she controls traffic,you will know the of person she is?The female corper slapped her on uniform.What do you think she should do?Fold her hand and just say thank you.Come on get to the truth.

• Ledi O

October 9, 2014 at 8:34 pm

People like you are the problem with this country. Tolerating stupid and dangerous behaviour from people who should otherwise be protecting you.

• Dee

October 9, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Bella naija, pls I mistakenly liked that comment and would like to undo it. Pls allow us to unlike things even if we like it accidentally

• MiddyO

October 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm

It is people like you that allow and encourage injustice in this country! How can you say what else does she want?
      This is a case of assault, pure and simple, from an officer who is supposed to enforce the law! The lady has suffered several blows to her person (physically), her dignity and even any little faith she has left in Nigeria! From a fellow woman at that! This officer must be brought to book!

That’s how some female police officers at Bolade junction in this same Oshodi were harassing me in my obviously pregnant state a few months ago!. Ordinarily I would have stood my ground, but I just burst into tears. I guess hormones were affecting me that day!

Police brutality must end in Nigeria!

October 10, 2014 at 3:45 pm

• vandam

October 23, 2014 at 9:13 pm

You just talk at. Random how would. You block the road and incontinence other. Road users because your bomber pull. Off are you. Suppose to fix your car in the middle of the road? If truly you went to a. Driving school are you not suppose to leave the road before fixing. Your bomber? Can you do that to Benin republic. Police? Or Ghana we should all learn how to respect our police officers.

• Adun

October 9, 2014 at 10:20 pm

This is the reason why we are they way we are and why evil continues to thrive in this nation. I cant believe the stupidity of your comment, the carelessness in the way you just commented shows you as one of the low lifes that are determined to keep Nigeria in the dark forever. People like you are scum and should remain on certain blog sites where morons like you are know to reside

• Mama

October 10, 2014 at 6:10 am

Icky on u are very stupid for your comment……it’s obvious u were not brought up with the proper values of right and wrong….it’s your type I always pray to meet tragic circumstances where u are oppressed by higher authorities so u know how it feels…….u should deeply be ashamed of yourself whoever you are….

• jhennique

October 10, 2014 at 9:15 am

so until she kill am before u go get sense ba? dont be an iidot!

• Red

October 10, 2014 at 9:48 am

This is why you are a son of a Dick…

• Muscomide

October 10, 2014 at 10:45 am

What a dick headed response. Leave the rest to God! Therein lies our problem as a country.

• LILO

October 10, 2014 at 10:51 am

Which gutter blog did you come from? Cos I know BN readers comments when i see one

• jey

October 10, 2014 at 11:35 am

U really are a “son of a dick”….Imagine your comment!!! Dissappointed.
      Please return your school fees to your parents, thats if at all you went to school..

• tee

October 10, 2014 at 12:01 pm

This is the dumbest response I’ve ever read, are you even for real?

3. H

October 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

This is indeed sad because these are the people we ought to look up too in terms of security and all we get is oppression and some silly kind of attitude sometimes leading to death. The amazing thing is that they are never criticized neither are they being corrected. So sorry about that dear, kindly accept the apologies and move on.

4. PACE

October 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Very well said Truth Teller, I agree with you 150%. If people who perpetrate such acts are not brought to justice, these barbaric acts won’t stop. From the lady’s story, it’s obvious the policewoman has issues. Why would a sane person get violent over little or no provocation? Whatever she’s going through that’s made her such a bitter and violent person might just be a fraction of what the youth corper is going through. She has no justification for assaulting a member of the public, same public she’s paid to serve. To make matters worse, she should have been apologetic rather than telling flimsy lies when she’s obviously wrong. For her to have had enough sense to cook up lies against who she assaulted, she knew what she did was wrong and felt a need to cover up. I’ll have been an advocate of letting things pass but I’m almost too certain she’ll do same or even worse if she’s not brought to justice. The victim if such happens might be someone close to myself or one of the few people advocating for her to be forgiven. I’d rather she’s brought to justice so she knows what she’s putting herself into if she ever dares to assault a member of the public in future and also to serve as a deterrent to other law enforcement officers who take it upon themselves to be a nuisance by harassing members of the public.

October 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm

• blue

October 10, 2014 at 4:22 pm

u must b a police man….defending all deir ills……..isnt it obvious the one with d weapon is at fault?

5. Bullet

October 9, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Next time…you dont respond to a person in uniform who is obvioulsy angry……Why would you want to exchange words with her because she insulted you……as if you know no say they act like animals.

. Thank God na only some scratches et al and not a gun shot.
    …..you should have entered your car and left immediately your bumper got fixed.

Chikena!!Next time you dont try to confront or exchange words with people like that no matter the insults rained on you.

• minime

October 9, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Was her response enough to trigger the police woman’s reaction? Smh… This is what make these people feel they are gods. Imagine assaulting a corp member in uniform. As I and my friends say to them-we are all govt property so you’ve got to be careful.
      I remember how a policeman told a man in a bus told a co passenger that he ‘is a woman’ coz he was struggling to get on the bus. Was soo happy when the man scolded the policeman who couldn’t talk due to fear and lack of comprehensive English.. Very annoying set of people. Keepers of the law are now the breakers of it. Legal action is necessary!

• nene

October 9, 2014 at 7:11 pm

i agree.

• mike

October 9, 2014 at 8:05 pm

people like @bullet, @sonofa- and others alike are reasons why we are where we are today in the country. Abnormalities has now become a normal thing in our society. You are scared of reporting a criminal u know or a criminal offense as much as you scared of the police. With vagabonds like these, Nigeria has a long way to go. Selfishness is the greatest disease we suffering from in this country where what happens to others does not concern you and you live a life of “so long its not me”. This is so crazy. The same some animals who look like human beings will support a reason for rape. I expected everyone in a sane mind to condemn this but obviously we can’t all be sane…we need some fools to be fools. Women need to be protected but in Nigeria I say both sexes need to be protected against police brutality. The fact that a superior cautioned her does not mean the case has to end…every Nigerian has a right and whenever that right is trampled upon we have a right to seek redress in the court of law. If we had a good structure in place the NYSC totally responsible for whatever happens to a youth corpse and should be the one suing the police for assault and damages. A youth corpse should be treated with utmost respect particularly when that uniform is worn. They should be seen as ‘govt children’ and whoever tampers with them should be ready to fought 4he federal govt in court.

• mike

October 9, 2014 at 8:11 pm

youth #corper rather….

• Trina

October 10, 2014 at 8:13 am

@nene you are such a sadistic and bitter being, it’s even hard to believe sometimes.

It’s either you’re leaving a negative comment or you’re agreeing with someone who’s left a stupid one. I don’t know what happened to you to make you this way but it’s no longer a joke. YOU NEED TO FIX YOURSELF!

• Miss_Flygerian

October 10, 2014 at 9:42 am

“Trina, right? She’s the female version of bruno. Very vile and sadistic creature.

• Desert Rainbow

October 10, 2014 at 1:54 am

While this would seem like an ‘Ostrich’ reaction,I have learned in this Nigeria that if you can,walk away from this police people. Na who dey alive dey judge case.

6. Shadie

October 9, 2014 at 6:54 pm

@bullet it is stupid cowards like you that keep the country in this abusive state that we are in. Speak up and stamp out injustice not sweep things under the carpet and don’t rock the boat attitude that people like you adopt. Abeg carry that bullet and shoot your mouth shut if you don’t have anything positive to contribute.

• Bullet

October 10, 2014 at 7:23 am

I dont see anything wrong in what i said…and i stand by it……..you believe Nigeria will change?…..lol..i dey laugh……next time any policewoman/man/army insults you………..insult them back. Infact go ahead and attack them back.

Of all the criminal activities/harassment being perpetrated by these police people everyday and duely reported…how many was justice served!!!!

You are all talking as if …….you are not living in Nigeria.

• chuka

October 10, 2014 at 10:11 am

Dear Bullet, i want to assume your comments reflect your frustration with our reality rather than being an indication of low standards of judgment on right conduct. In that case, your comments are made cynically. However it may be, they are not proper comments. You dont advocate we throw up our hands in frustraton and become quiescent on such atrocities in our country. Other great civillisations did not get to where they are today through such dispositions by their citizens.

It is true impunity is so brazen in Nigeria, that you are agape with amazement atimes, but we must remain constant with equal or greater outcry/condemnation each time they occur. Our survival depends on it.

Their is a journalist who was once vociferous about national issues until he became a presidential adviser and seemingly abandoned the cause of objective criticism of national affairs. I have tried to reason-out what happened to me and my conclusion by his antecedents is that he is not a bad man, he is not unpatriotic, but has only climed into the boat of ‘realists’ – people like you Bullet. They get to the point where they accept that Nigeria can never change for good, at least not in their generation and so rather than continue to pull at the high moral ground, they lower their standards on expectations e.g on governance and ask us to learn to be grateful for small mercies.
      Such attitude is at beat self-serving. It allows you to now blend with the majority and even stand on some elevated high groung relying on your antecedents. However, nations dont become great that way. Consistency on principles- at the high ground is what will eventually get us out of the woods. Consistency down the age, else even in a 100yrs, we would still not have moved away much from where we are today.

October 10, 2014 at 3:47 pm

• Bullet

October 10, 2014 at 7:29 am

Lastly you must be a mentally castrated being!!……must you state you opinion with insults on other people…just because other peoples opinion defers from yours?

Your statement shows your level of reasoning and you are no different from that policewoman in the story above.I am sure both of you are from the same family.

• Bullet

October 10, 2014 at 8:26 am

I stand by earlier comment and if its still paining you….you go and hug transformer.
      Its you thats very stupid and daft…….and you are no different from that policewoman.Why would you insult people because their opinion different from yours.

She should thank her stars na only scratches for face……..if she had been shot….tie lo gbe (her own don loss). A police woman insulted you and you dey ask am why she dey insult you instead of carrying yourself waka pass jeje!!

7. blessing

October 9, 2014 at 6:57 pm

wat rubbish…nigeria would never change..lol i cn feel d police womans frustration 4rm ur story,but i dnt blame her,when there pay is very little and they dnt give them the proper training they deserve,id not someone with such character wouldnt be in the police force…i love wat you did,please follow it up and dnt let the issue die down.someone has to put an end to this rubbish

8. APK

October 9, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I have a personal interest in women’s right and an advocate for good governance however i would be the first to point out to you that you were wrong. In civil countries, when accident occurs, you are required to drive of the highway not to cause traffic or wait for a police officer to control traffic while you drive of the highway and park on the shoulder or edge to fix or tow your car. You had absolutely no right stay on the road causing traffic to other road users.

That being said, the police woman has no right to lay her finger on you despite the situation. Just like you, however wrongly (being in a uniform) she has freedom of expression and if she felt you were “FAT LIKE MUMU FULL THE MOTOR”, that is her opinion. The question you should ask yourself is “what did you hope to achieve by getting down for the car to question her about insulting you?” for her to say sorry? or no you are not fat?.

Police brutality in Nigeria has been on for too long and i wish someone (maybe me) who has the time and passion can create a website to report such offences, provided you have documented evidence like pictures or videos and a civil society group can take it up with head of the force to have perpetrators punished. It would be a good idea to take up a case against her but i would tell you, it can be countered by your civil disobedience so be prepared.

• Jo!

October 9, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Can I love this ONE MILLION TIMES???
      What was the point of getting down from the car and walking towards her? What the heck were you trying to achieve?

In Nigeria where police shoot people dead and go scot free? Hunnay, next time, LET IT GO, except she physically assaults you (even then, do not retaliate) why risk your life.
      And we have to commend that female boss though, she didn’t act the “typical Nigerian police way” and believe her staff’s lies over yours

• MiddyO

October 9, 2014 at 9:46 pm

I am a lawyer who works with the Traffic Management Authority in Lagos and I beg to differ on the part where you referred to her as being in the wrong for obstructing traffic by parking in the middle of the road.
      Did you miss the part where she said her bumper got stuck in a pot hole and she couldn’t move until a man helped her move the car? So she couldn’t have parked on the side of the road as you advised.

Yes she was obstructing traffic and what should have happened was for the police woman to contain the situation either by calling on the Traffic Officials to lend a helping hand or handling the matter herself as it wasn’t so complicated. Obviously the vehicle did not need to be towed since it was moved by a good samaritan.

The Police woman was all shades of wrong and should be brought to book!

• APK

October 10, 2014 at 3:27 pm

I am also a lawyer, and i know for a fact that the car can be moved off the road if carefully done. Ill based my response on two instances if she was try to put the car in a temporary fix it get it off the road that would have been fine, but she was trying to completely fix the bumper before leaving then thats another story, When a uniformed officer tells you to obey the law, you do.

You as well must have missed the part where i said it was the duty of the police to also help in ensuring the car gets of the road. And i never insinuated that the officer was not wrong, i completely agreed. I was merely stating her own faults.

• Mama

October 10, 2014 at 6:26 am

You are really stupid and a total idiot for this comment…..did u read where she said the woman came to the window where she was siting and was raising hell? U obviously have no idea about civility and still a typical reason why Nigeria is the way it is……u are obviously not exposed enough to even know that in a civilized society that unprovoked comment from her is enought to charge her for assault….as a police officer the only comment from her should have been to let them know the implications of the scenario…..am very sure they were not parked in the middle of the road……it’s a pity that half baked activist like u judge standards by the typical mentality of what obtains in naija……u need more international exposure in life to see what standard best practices are before u open your mouth next time….

October 10, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Get to the truth before jumping into conclusion.She assaulted the police woman by slapping her and just because his boyfriend is a journalist.She want to turn the table around.Go to oshodi express where the incident happened and get the real gist from eye witnesses.Don’t crucify the innocent police officer. Get to the truth before jumping into conclusion.She assaulted the police woman by slapping her and just because his boyfriend is a journalist.She want to turn the table around.Go to oshodi express where the incident happened and get the real gist from eye witnesses.Don’t crucify the innocent police officer.

• APK

October 10, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Considering if its worth responding to someone who cant speak without insult. However, i choose to school you, where in my comment did i say the comment was provoke or unprovoked? And by getting down is that how solve an “unprovoked assault case”? You are complaining that a typical reason why Nigeria is the way it is, if everyone gets down from their cars to “whatever her intent was” speaking an irrational police woman how “civilized” you the society be? You must have skipped the part in my comment where i mentioned “Just like you, however wrongly (being in a uniform)…

I am not blaming her for the reckless act the police women did, i am pointing out her flaws in the situation. I ask again what did she hope to achieve by asking an obvious irrational police women why she called her fat?

Bu the way you can learn from this, i responded to you without insulting you. You can do it too. Civility goes a long way. For someone who claims i need more international exposures… little do yo know.

• Neo

October 10, 2014 at 11:49 am

I must applaud the expertise with which you wrapped your ignorance in a few well constructed sentences. I almost missed it. Almost. First thing I am grateful for your interest in women’s right and passion for good governance. I’ dont have an expansive knowledge about other civil societies as you appear to have, however in Nigeria, when there is an accident especially one involving another vehicle, police practice is for you to leave the vehicle(s) as is to enable the police make appropriate markings for their report which may also be used to suuport insurance claims and determine liability. In this case, she clearly explained that moving the car would have resulted in further damage to the vehicle. Do you not consider it the job of a traffic police to assist them or direct the traffic around their vehicle while they made the necessary repairs?

Secondly, insulting someone is freedom of expression, well i guess so since there’s no law to punish me if i called you a twat for terming that civil disobedience, since that is my opinion which i may freely express. However, something called respect might prevent me from doing so. Perhaps she got out of the car to also freely express her opinion to the insulting police officer. Should a policeman/woman abuse the uniform he/she wears in order to protect me by insulting where she should have assisted? Or should we be docile in the face of verbal abuse simply because we are afraid of a uniform or worse getting shot? Because that is a reasonable fear to have? That i would confront a police officer about an abusive statement and be shot? I’m sure there was a time such as this in America, where the subservience of black people gave the American police a God complex over them and thats why today they are killing black people left, right and centre.

I am sorry I cannot toe your flawed line of reasoning and would encourage you to consider factors such as this before you decide to set up your platform to tackle such issues.

I’m sorry for the diatribe, it happens when i get riled up like this.

• APK

October 10, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Ignorance is far from me, however i am always open to new knowledge. Your explanation is right, like you said in Nigeria where measurements by tapes are still being use, that is possible hence mention of civil countries. From my own understanding and speaking from experience, after being hit and i called 911, they told us move the car off the road and if need take pictures with our phone or wait till the officer arrives to direct the moving the cars off the road, at the same call your insurance company is your car needed towing.

You are free to call me anything you want, since i am faceless otherwise i could sue for libel if you make false statements or in her own case defamation. I stand by my previous comment “what did she hope to achieve”? She already stated how the officer has been shouting on them from the get go, did she think the officer would have felt any different? The officer had already seen her in her uniform, it wasn’t going to change anything. And yes it is civil disobedience,

“Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, or commands of a government or government official, or of an occupying international power. (nonviolent resistance).”

Did she not say she told the police officer she dint want to move her car in other not to cause further damage? Agreeable, the officer could have been nice enough to offer her 10 mins to have it in a condition movable off the road. To answer your questions, If you look back at my comment i mentioned that the office was wrong with the statement, however, over the years, i have learnt, there are situations when you find other means to get your point across. Again, i am not blaming the victim for her being beaten, that would never be her fault, the officer had not right whatever.

• APK

October 10, 2014 at 4:11 pm

if we needed*
      the officer had no right, whatsoever*

9. poison ivy

October 9, 2014 at 7:09 pm

@Bullet,are you for real?
    Super dumb comment right there
    You are what is wrong with this country
    Move along if you have nothing to say.

• Bullet

October 10, 2014 at 8:26 am

Next time am army or policeman rains insults on you…go and accost him and ask him why hes rainning insult on you!

• Mz Socially Awkward...

October 10, 2014 at 10:40 am

@Bullet, I have. In answer to your question, I challenged the harrassment by some MOPOL thugs escorting the NDDC chairman (whatever twat held that office in 2006), who expected me to physically lift my car out of a traffic gridlock at the GRA junction so that their “convoy” could race off to Le Meridien Hotel. I couldn’t move in any direction (which any one other than an outright idiot could see) but they felt I shouldnt’ be speaking back to them as a sub-human being (a woman, no less!) and so one hefted his horsewhip and flogged me through the window.

And then they zoomed off to the hotel but I chased them. Got in there and started screaming in the reception that I was a lawyer and had just been physically assaulted by the NDDC’s convoy, that I want the name and rank number of the officer who flogged me. Do you know the cowardl.y MOPOL officers, the same ones who were screaming because they must have assumed I was some illiterate runs babe with her sugar daddy’s car were all quiet at one end of the courtyard? Dem just dey look me and then, to make matters even worse, some aide of the NDDC chairman came downstairs to beg me to please forgive and forget. Injustice just brushed off like that… even though I took the action to court, there wasn’t enough to sustain the case (no representation by the NDDC chairman, no witnesses other than myself, etc) so it got struck out.

Nobody wants to challenge the status quo in Nigeria so we’ve left it to become this absolute hell-hole because it’s easier to bury our heads in the sand. If another police or army officer harrasses me, I won’t be using the scars still left on my back from that first incident as my excuse to not challenge apparent injustice. And I realize that my voice will likely be the only one, with many Nigerians around me averting their gaze or avoiding any chance of being dragged into any “wahala” but I already understand the gross failings of my people. Quick to celebrate wealth (however wrongly obtained) and slow to cry “foul” about the state of the nation.

What a country and its 100 million+ citizens that completely deserve the tyranny of their leaders and oppressors. And the evil in charge of robbing you of all your rights will continue to be yours to happily have and bear with until you decide to do something about it.

10. nene

October 9, 2014 at 7:10 pm

oh my God. people are usually lenient with corpers and they even hail youth corpers. this woman must be a witch. what an evil and wicked woman. she assaulted,insulted, and humiliated a YOUTH CORPER and a young girl. At least the superior cautioned her, which wouldn’t happen in most cases.

11. Son of a - (Dickson)

October 9, 2014 at 7:32 pm

All ya saying rubbish, judgin like u were there when it happened. None of us dey there wen dis tin happen…e fit be say d lady sef pass her boundary. Sisi corper, dis na Lag o…if u knw mind ur sef na head u go take waka go back to ur village. #pimple face

October 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm

12. kay

October 9, 2014 at 7:57 pm

so you walked towards her? my dear na you find trouble o no vex. how did you expect her to react you were wearing your nysc uniform so you walked towards her asin to challenge her or what? in my opinion as she called you a fat mumu you should have ignored her o. obviously she is just sad and wretched but nooooo u just had to stoop to her level. yes they put her in cell but guess what? as soon as you walked out of that station, they would have realesed her straight away. you are the one that would have had to suffer pains, you are the one whose fine face has spoilt. the moral of this story you are sharing is that we should all learn to walk away, to ignore and not to stoop to the level of crazy people. the minute we do, we ourselves are crazy. thank you.

• Mama

October 10, 2014 at 6:33 am

Gosh no wonder we are not making progress in Nigeria……so walking away and not stooping to their level will change that police woman’s behaviour? No wonder their actions never stop or change……I pray u all experience police brutality then we see how easy it is to blame other……..shame on you lot, dome of u go to church praying for hours for naija to change yet bury your heads in the sand like ostriches……no wonder it seems like God does not answer prayers cos we have so many myopic fools who do not do their part……God will not come down from heaven to change naija so u all stop wasting your time praying when u do nothing…….with thi attitude, stagnant we shall all remain……..mschweeeeeew

October 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm

October 10, 2014 at 3:26 pm

13. Aijay...

October 9, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I dislike police men/women with a passion. The victim should ensure the policewoman is appropriately punished. All that locking up in a cell was just to make them forgive.

14. jummai

October 9, 2014 at 9:43 pm

You are sick to have posted this comment

15. Unknown

October 9, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Justice has to be done in this case, am also a youth corper myself and we need to be treated well in our country, The Nigeria police system is crazy man, what if they had killed them who are we going to blame. That bitch named “JUSTINA” has to be disciplined . They think because they are in uniform they can maltreat the citizens for no reason. Thank God for the Boss that actually spoke well and dealt with the issue instantly, bosses like that are hard to find in Nigeria.

16. racks on racks

October 10, 2014 at 5:38 am

First and foremost , SHE WAS VERY WRONG TO HAVE APPROACHED THE POLICEWOMAN .. IF IT WAS IN AMERICA .. SHE WONT EVEN LEAVE TO SAY ANY STORY .. Well good luck with her face . why didn’t she just insult from her car and move on.. now she wants nigeria to riot for her .. ogbeni park well.

• LILO

October 10, 2014 at 10:59 am

Ode…I doubt you nor any of your relatives has ever left the border of Nigeria let alone lived in America to know what happens there.

• racks_racks

October 10, 2014 at 7:02 pm

yeah i live in California .. Actually my whole family lives here and trust me i know what happens .

October 10, 2014 at 3:16 pm

17. BILLS

October 10, 2014 at 7:52 am

Nigerians are perpetual slaves! Reading some of your comments is nauseating! What exactly did the young lady do wrong for an officer expected to uphold law and order to assault her at all? Demanding to be treated with dignity is suddenly a crime? My God, this country of ours is worse than imagined.

18. bayems

October 10, 2014 at 8:50 am

I marvel at the ignorance of “son of a -” and the 56 other people that loved that comment! Rather unfortunate name if I might add.

October 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm

19. peyton

October 10, 2014 at 11:53 pm

As much as the police abuses people we are all guilty of one thing jumping into conclusions no I am not defending the police, but what ever happened to hear the other side? we have tried, and found the policewoman guilty, I expected bella naija to atleast do some investigation you dont take one party’s story, it is the reason we have courts and parties plead their cases, and no the pics are not enough she could have gotten them anywhere, If a batton is used on your face it will not give you scratches,
    As an aside, I have seen people insult and abuse policemen, traffic wardens i even saw one at ozumba on my way back from work you beat the traffic light a policeman tells you to step down from your car and you refuse? he is a law enforcement officer doing his duty, I am not a police officer but our attitudes do not help as well yes police brutality should stop and we should also learn to respect Authority which we obviously have a problem having due regard for in this country. The Nigerian mentality is because you are a “” big man”” then you can break the laws yet this same people will respect the police in other countries.

20. dotty

October 13, 2014 at 11:09 am

hahahahahahahah…@sunday, OGINI ! you wan force us go oshosdi ni? haba? we don hear and we no go go…llMAO

21. Tiya

October 14, 2014 at 11:44 am

SUNDAY, I WENT TO THE POLICE STATION AND YOU HAVE ADVOCATED A LIE. THE YOUTH CORPER DID NOT SLAP THE OFFICER AS YOU CLAIM!!!!! GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT ALSO. AND HER BOYFRIEND IS NOT A JOURNALIST AS YOU SAY SO YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE YOU HAVE WRITTEN HERE. JUSTICE MUST PREVAIL!