Features

Stripped & Unveiled! Wana Udobang Releases a Film Adaptation of Her Short Story ‘Shrink’

BellaNaija.com

Wana Udobang goes deep and raw in this one and we love it. Adapted from her short story titled ‘Shrink’, this ‘experimental film’ shows us a young woman who is struggling with the battle between her person and society’s perception of her body.

The story was originally published on Brittle Paper, a literary blog curated by Ainehi Edoro.

The film was directed by Wana Udobang, & shot and edited by Imoh Majorboy Umoren.

Watch it here:

1. name

October 29, 2014 at 3:07 pm

and i thought i was having a bad day,To think people have to look at the mirror daily with these thoughts in their head is soo heartbreaking. I wish pple wld be more sensitive when looking and talking to fat people. i feel soo sorry

• Asgrl

October 29, 2014 at 3:32 pm

How about just being sensitive in general. Do you think skinny people don’t have issues?…

2. omaliicha

October 29, 2014 at 3:08 pm

BEAUTIFUL.

3. Bisola

October 29, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Oh wow! Wana! Wana! I love you girl! Well done sugar!

4. Ada

October 29, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful and sad at the same time. Its difficult but we have to love ourselves no matter what

5. hassan Abdul

October 29, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Good story. but this is definately not what every fat people go through, i have seen people who feel good about their weight and are beautiful. People should ignore the perception of what the society feel about them. Live a healthy life style and be free.

• tunmi

October 29, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Your comment minimizes and dismisses her concerns and issues. She never said this was for all people with insecurity issues but for those people whose voices may not be heard. Telling people to simply ignore what is so real and prevalent to them does not work. It is like telling rape victims to ignore the system that empowers their rapists while denying them justice or telling women or widows to ignore the society that relegates them to lesser beings.

6. omoibo

October 29, 2014 at 3:35 pm

We live in a society where our self images has been systematically altered by mainstream media on what beauty is.
    Battling the bugle or anorexia are two extremes on the same pole. I’m a firm believer in working on yourself from the inside out because everything we do affects everything whether or not we realize it.
    When we feel good about ourselves on the inside/ at our very core it radiates outwardly. Nobody can want the change you seek more for you than you do for yourself, we must be willing to go through the necessary disciplines & it’ll be distasteful but in order for us to achieve the end result that we seek we must be willing to go where we’ve never been.

7. temitope

October 29, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Wana, am proud of you. To me you are a success. You have achieved so much that people slimmer and with perfect bodies have not. I see you as beautiful, smart, creative and intelligent. And most of all, you inspire me.

8. Alexandra

October 29, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Different people have different insecurities that only self love and self acceptance, born from knowing God loves us, can overcome. The size 12 chick that every one says looks so hot, looks in the mrror and hates what she sees cos she wants to be a size 8. the dark skin girl wants to be light, the flat chested girl wants to have big boobs…. how did we get here?
    Well done Wana, for sharing this pain with us, so that we can all look in our own mirrors and love what we see, no matter the size, shape or colour.

• nene

October 29, 2014 at 11:13 pm

amazing comment

9. Etiosa

October 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Speechless…I feel like this story is also about me. Really emotional. God bless you Wana.

10. truth

October 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm

wow wana, just absolutely gorgeous video. Wana if you are interested , lest turn this to an elongated film

11. I LOVE THIS VIDEO. SAW IT YESTERDAY NIGHT. EVEN SHARED IT ON MY PLUS SIZE BLOG. WANA REALLY TOLD THE STORY AS IT IS. THE VIDEO IS A FICTION. BUT IT FELT SO REAL. IF ONLY WE PLUS SIZE LADIES CAN LEARN TO LOVE OURSELVES THE WAY WE ARE… AND THE SOCIETY TOO… IF ONLY THE SOCIETY WILL STOP JUDGING PLUS SIZE PEOPLE…

12. AND THANKS BELLANAIJA, FOR SHARING……

13. Gift

October 29, 2014 at 6:20 pm

wow this video touched me. It is really important for us to love ourselves

14. Jojo

October 29, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Great video. Quite raw. felt every emotion and prayed bulimia has not kciked into this game. That one is a beast abeg.
    We will go for the half a pound of weight loss every week instead. You make a good movie script writer/producer. keep it up.

15. MiszPha

October 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm

very inspiring!!! I want to be fit not skinny!!! society and its conception can go to…..

16. el patron

October 29, 2014 at 8:45 pm

eh ye je ijekuje..if it bothers you so much do something about it.. its what the media has done to the mind of people.. we can’t all be skinny, they are people who appreciate you just the way you look, cheer up you are beautifully made in the image of God.

17. NaNa

October 29, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Oh boy! I was laughing through out. But seriously, the issue is real and I am glad you have taken out time to address such a sacred subject.

18. nene

October 29, 2014 at 11:06 pm

wow! i always liked wan a since i saw her on that style show with ifeoma.

19. nene

October 29, 2014 at 11:09 pm

wow! i always liked wan a since i saw her on that style show with ifeoma. this is brave.

20. chichi

October 29, 2014 at 11:37 pm

R.A.W!!!!
    Loved it

21. Emma

October 30, 2014 at 7:41 am

Deep. Thanks Wana!

22. [email protected]

October 30, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Wana you are an inspiration, and your write up depicts the real struggles of we deal with in our thoughts about our body imagine.
    Thanks for sharing

23. beautifulonyinye

November 9, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This is so real and true.I’m a plus sized lady.Beautiful on the inside and out.I’ve had periods I felt some of those emotions.Even tried the bulimia thing + starvation.I just wasn’t happy.So I stopped.I love me just the way I am.Le Boo is crazy about me.I’m healthy,hardworking,intelligent,I have a great personality and amazing family and friends.Recently after the long NMA strike,when we resumed,I saw a male colleague and the 1st thing he said to me was’Anh anh Onyinye you put on so much weight’ in d presence of a lot of pipo & I replied’can you be less disgusting and irritating today?’.He was shocked and I smiled and walked away.That’s the society we live in,lots of insensitive people and I’ve learnt to put them in their place.Thanks Wana for this btw u are gorgeous girl.