Features

BN Prose: Fatal Love by Miss Yinx

I watched them through the window. They always quarrel loudly. This time Papa Anya slaps her, then he pauses, comes to the window and draws the curtain. I cannot see them but I can hear her cry. Mama Anya is wailing like an Oro masquerade. She needs help but I cannot go to her, not after Sisi Nurse called me an “amebo” for advising her not to perform abortions in our yard.

I pick up my phone to dial Mama Anya‘s number. Maybe the ringing will distract him. It rings. Her call-back tune is a love song. Love indeed. If this is love, then I never want to be loved. The phone rings again. No response. Little Anya must be terrified. The screams are muffled now. I am scared. My baby, Kikun, is crying. I know she is scared. Hassan and his new wife have travelled for “sallah”. Sisi Nurse is at work on night-duty. I have no husband. Who can I call? The other neighbours all seem to be deaf.

The wailing has stopped. Thank God. He must have forgiven her. It usually lasts longer. Kikun is asleep. I am happy for Mama Anya. She does not talk much. Tomorrow I will buy her painkillers from Sisi Nurse, when Papa Anya has gone to his shop. She will be fine. I am sure she will be fine.

A shrill sound awakes me. It is from Mama Anya’s room. The screaming does not sound like hers. It sounds like a man. I go to our window. I see Papa Anya in the yard with a lifeless body in his hands. He is shouting “Wake up, my wife! Wake up”. Kikun is still sleeping. I go out into the yard. Papa Anya says to me “She is dead”. “How?”, I ask. “Malaria”, he responds and looks away.

I feel faint. My Lord, have mercy. I feel like a murderer.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Scott Griessel

Yinka Ademola is an aspiring author, a wife, a government employee and a soon-to-be mother. She enjoys cooking and sharing recipes. She likes to discuss issues that affect day-to-day life ,although in a lighthearted manner. One of her ultimate goals is to make Nigeria a safer and cleaner place. She firmly believes that women can excel both in the workplace and at home building. Yinka's favourite place is the beach and she enjoys travelling locally and internationally.

1. TheDarkHorse

December 17, 2014 at 4:49 am

I would have said she had it coming, but that would be so cold. My candid advice to the victim who maybe reading this; he may tell you that he beats you because he loves you. It is a lie. Scream out, tell somebody, report to the police, anyone who may help or even run before you never maybe able to scream again.
    Well delivered Miss Yinx. Keep up the good work.

2. Schatzilein

December 17, 2014 at 5:36 am

She don kill the woman …now he should eat her body…useless bastarrd

3. Olushade

December 17, 2014 at 5:52 am

Good one the Yinx!

4. Eloho Egbedi

December 17, 2014 at 6:01 am

This is a very nice piece Yinx!
    Well, the issue of domestic violence is one that is mostly overlooked by the victims until life is snorted out of them. I always tell women/girls- if he did it once, he’ll do it again!
    Someone once told me the reason why her fiancé beats her up is because she’s ‘stubborn’!!! I’m like whatttttttttt?! Stop making excuses for men who would demoralize/hit you!
    My message is simple! To every woman suffering abuse- It is not love when a man hits you! Run as fast as you can!! you’re far too valuable!!!

5. Aisha Waziri

December 17, 2014 at 6:57 am

Well written Yinx. There is no excuse for a man to strike his woman. And once he does that he will surely strike her again and again. Women should please stop encouraging domestic violence. It’s time we wake up and stop the battering and abuse.

6. olajide Khifayah

December 17, 2014 at 8:21 am

Nice one Yinx,we need more awareness against domestic violence.Its not by force to stay in love with such animal.I met one cool dude in camp,we got talking and along line he mentioned that he had once battered his girlfriend and was even boastful about it,I tried educating but he insisted that women needs such treatment .that’s like d biggest turn off for me.I just had to stop talking to d dude

7. Oluwayemisi Mafe

December 17, 2014 at 10:11 am

This is so beautifully written! It’s a clarion call for all, don’t turn a blind eye to domestic violence.

8. EbonyWinnie

December 17, 2014 at 11:55 am

Good one Yinx
    At times I wonder why men who beats their wives won’t go and fight in the ring with Mike Tyson and George Foreman.
    I call wife beaters Useless cowards cos they can’t raise their hands on their fellow men and such men carefully selects quiet ladies to marry.
    Them dey look face. Let them try some tigresses that will rip their skull open in a split second.
    Weldone INFS babe joor.

9. Muinat Alaka

December 17, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Miss Yinx struck a cord on this story about domestic violence and adverse effects, I couldn’t put it down till I finished reading: sign of a great writer.

10. Bolanle Haruna

December 18, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Good One Miss Yinx .

11. Tosin Doherty

December 18, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Our Yinx has given us a taster of her budding literary skills addressing the issue of domestic violence. We are eagerly awaiting more. from her rich pot. Domestic violence does not start with a slap. Girls open your eyes if he is not treating you right then he is not Mr.Right.

12. titilola

December 19, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Nice write up. Domestic violence should not be encouraged at all and men too are sometimes victims of domestic violence, though not physically.

13. Hifey

December 19, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Wow, inspiring piece. If he can slap you, he can kill you. Never take chances. Stand up for what is right, say NO to violence in whatever form, size or shape and let’s be our brother’s keeper. Miss Yinx, welldone. The storyline is thought-provoking. Look forward to the next write-up.

14. Hephzibah Frances

Frances Okoro

December 23, 2014 at 10:39 am

Malaria indeed…
    Sad reality that still happens today but the onlookers are probably as guilty as the batterer.. we stand aside and watch.
    We say “doh” after the beating.
    We can do better.