Features

Oma: Dealing with Celebrity Managers

In my little time of working with a publication house, I have come across all manners of people- some nice and some not so nice. A large number of them are actually humble, very professional and courteous. Now when I speak of people, you can guess that I must be referring to celebrities, as they are the ones whose stories we need to sell to the public.

It is always a pleasure to meet anyone of them who has a beautiful story to tell- stories that captivate my mind and blow my world away. Some of their stories are so inspiring and quite captivating. I may not be able to give you all the details whenever I write my stories, but experiencing it firsthand is a lot.
Dealing with these celebrities is one thing, because they have really excruciating schedules that when you get a hold of them, just hold on tight lest you lose your grip. However, it gets super frustrating when you need to deal with their ‘managers’ otherwise known as their ‘P.As’. Note, that not all of them make my job as difficult as some of them have shown me lots of love. However, quite a number of them make me wonder if I may have chosen the wrong career path.

You would be shocked at how rude some of them would be to you, haul insults at you and tell you off at the slightest opportunity they get. It only makes me wonder if they feel some kind of complex or if it is the intoxication of power- power of being able to manage the celebrities schedule.
I had one serious encounter with a particular manager and it made me put this down. I had been begging for the past 1 month to get a response on an email I had sent out but got no response. Eventually, we got a number and called; it was the manager. I spoke really nicely to this lady and she first got upset that the editor had reached out to the celebrity directly instead of going through her. I just apologised for that and moved on hoping to get some luck. All this while, I was under a lot of pressure to get my stories in.

I kept placing calls, sending messages and emails and eventually; I wanted her to know that I was under a lot of pressure to submit the story lest I get a surcharge. Then the angry manager replied: ‘These threats should not work on smart people’.

Please, how is this a threat? I am appealing to you to kindly get this done for me since you are the hero I need to go through to get it done. Then she called, yelled at me and rained insults on me before slamming the dial on me. All I could say to myself was ‘Whao!’ I just went straight to my editor to narrate the situation of things to him and hope for a better light at the end of the tunnel.
The drama paid off because my editor got to know that I was doing all I could to get the stories in good time but I was not happy because I had hoped that I could deliver. Besides, it was too early in the day to get all that rude remarks.

Being a journalist like most professionals isn’t all that glamorous after all. However, we would appreciate it if these managers are a bit sympathetic to the fact that we need to make a living out of these stories and sometimes, how you get them doesn’t really matter… but rather that you get them. For someone like me who doesn’t like to give excuses, it gets to me when I get delayed. I know the celebrities are so busy and so are you, but be courteous to let us know that something is being done, and when you commit to something, try and see it through to the end. We do love and appreciate your work as the managers or the PA but we also ask that you appreciate our jobs as journalists. We need one another.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Tatsianama

Oma Ehiri is a lifestyle blogger and a Digital Media Consultant. She is also a Talent Manager with Ascend Talent Management and the Media Brand Ambassador for Veba Textile Mills.Life is her source of inspiration as she curates her thoughts on her website, www.sotectonic.com. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @oma263.

1. AjeKpako

December 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm

am confused with this write up….like wat are you saying exactly?? you realise that you were bugging the poor lady right? were you trying to get answers to a particular question or you wanted an interview slot with the celeb in question. pls come with the full gist and not half/half.

“In my little time of working with a publication house…” – sorry sweetie you have to earn your stripes…quit the entitlement antics, and put in time and deal with the obstacles that come with the job.

2. dorobozz

December 5, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Very poor grammar

3. Fineola

December 5, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Why does this guy feel entitled? He sounds like a U.S waiter expecting to be tipped as if it is their entilement. Stop it. Just because you want to make a living does not mean the next person has to give you their time. No one owes you anything.

4. olayemi

December 5, 2014 at 6:22 pm

So people should ditch their day jobs and focus on helping you delivers yours cos its more important. Fantastic.

5. Gistyinka Blog

December 5, 2014 at 8:29 pm

My advice to you is to stay focus to what you are doing, if you really have passion for job. It happen to me several times, glad you raise this point to the public.

6. copy copy

December 6, 2014 at 3:16 am

Copy copy is not good o. Do your own thing make life better.why copy Toni kan,the only diff,you couldn’t mention names of the celebrities and their managers like he did.

• Oma

December 6, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Who is Toni kan?

• Jo!

December 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

stop displaying your ignorance, are you allergic to google?

7. Atl's Finest

December 6, 2014 at 8:01 am

It’s called survive of the fittest. However, before you put out an article, please brain storm/clustering must take place, then edit & proof read ok.. I’m not perfect but there’s a lot grammatical error. You don’t ve to be a grammarian; you can do better.

8. dami

December 6, 2014 at 8:10 am

I totally agree with you, choice of vocabulary isn’t of journalism standard

9. Dee-USA

December 7, 2014 at 12:21 am

My dear, I feel for you, but a journalist you are not. You do not write the way you presented this article and claim to be one. In fact, after scanning through this (cos I just couldn’t bring myself to read it all,) I wouldn’t grant you a single interview for fear that my client would be misconstrued, misquoted or paraphrased out of context.

Having said that, a real journalist would not be held prisoner by the subject of a story. If you tried repeatedly, but unsuccessfully, to reach someone, then let it be reflected in your story that he or she was unavailable for comment after several attempts to contact. However, you should only publish it if you have done due diligence in researching the facts and can stand by the authenticity of the story.

The only time you may be held hostage is if the person is the subject of a profile, which I can understand. However, you should have a back up, preferably more, who you can go to at the last minute to get that cover story. This is why you develop professional relationships with people who work in the industry you cover.

10. Tooth fairy

December 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Oma, if I were you, I’d pull down this article. It won’t do anything positive for your career that’s for sure. You sound entitled and spoilt. You don’t want to work hard plus your title is misleading. Just my 2 cents..