Features

Berry Dakara: How I Gained 20 Pounds in 1 Year

DISCLAIMER: This article is not meant to serve as a pity party. It’s simply a reflection of my thoughts and experiences in the past year as I have gained close to 20lbs (about 9kg).

During my wedding festivities, I was at the smallest size and weight I had been at for a while. Two years before that, in 2011, I had just left NYSC camp and suffered a bout of malaria where I thought I was actually going to die (it really wasn’t that serious, but bear in mind that I hadn’t had malaria in almost 15 years, so it felt like a completely new experience). Anyway, after the malaria illness, combined with camp, I lost a lot of weight. My aunt who saw me that Christmas even joked about going on a “Malaria Diet.” Through 2012 I mostly kept the weight off, exercising here and there, eating healthy here and there, without putting much thought into it.

By mid-2013, my weight started creeping upwards. Some people say when you’re happy you start packing on the pounds, so I mentally shifted the blame to my relationship and subsequent engagement to Cakes (my husband, the cake baker/designer). Maybe it didn’t help that I couldn’t get enough of his fruit cakes, which I personally think are the best ever. But I had a wedding to plan and a dress to fit in, so when the TW Magazine Fitness Challenge 2013 called for applicants, I quickly applied and was selected. For 3 months, I tried to stick to the fitness challenge program, and while I didn’t give it my best, I was able to lose some weight and get leaner. I didn’t reach my goal weight, but I was not too far off, so I didn’t beat myself up about it. The wedding came, passed and I settled into married life.

During the fitness challenge, a couple of the participants warned me to keep up with exercising and watching my food after the wedding, because apparently people tend to gain weight after they’re married. I listened with one ear and didn’t pay too much mind to them. I figured that if I gained any weight, it would be about 5 pounds or so, which should be easy to lose, right? Well, it’s been a year since our lovely wedding and I’m ashamed to admit that I am 20lbs (a little under 10kg) heavier than our wedding day. And no, I wasn’t pregnant at any time in that time frame. Yes, more than one person asked if I was pregnant. (PLEASE friends, STOP ASKING PEOPLE IF THEY ARE PREGNANT! It can be very embarrassing to you and her).

Anyways, 20 pounds in one year?!?!? How? What was I eating? Or drinking? I can’t even begin to explain. I first noticed the weight creeping up on the scale. I wasn’t worried about the first 5 pounds. But then another 3lbs came on, and then 2 more. Little by little, the numbers went up, my clothes got tighter and tighter, my tummy, arms, thighs became more pronounced and jiggly.

My confidence started taking a beating. On my blog, I wrote with a positive, happy-go-lucky attitude, and even joked about the weight in a few posts. At home though, Cakes had to deal with a wife who would look at herself in the mirror and cry before outings, because none of her clothes fit anymore. No matter how many times he tried to cheer me up, I just felt less and less attractive.

The drop in self-confidence, and sadness over letting myself go only made me turn to food more. When I felt down, I ate ice cream to feel better. If I was upset about one thing or another, I bought a doughnut to feel a tiny bit happier. The funny thing though was that I forbade Cakes from bringing any cake home.

While I was not letting my husband’s business contribute to my weight, I overlooked the fact that he’s a great cook who likes everything fried! I ate the fried foods with him, jumped on him when he brought ice cream home, drank more wine than ever because “ooh, it’s a nice romantic evening in.” Even he started gaining weight and I got on his case. After a point, I started admonishing him for buying soda, or the odd chocolate bar. I would “report” him to anybody who listened, that he was making poor nutrition choices. The truth of the matter is I focused on his weight because I didn’t want to deal with mine. I wanted to find anybody else to blame but me.

It all came to a head last month. Kate Henshaw was our celebrity co-host during the TW Magazine Fitness Challenge. During the program she would periodically send messages to motivate us to keep on track with our exercise and healthy foods. Because of this, I was petrified of running into her (and Mrs. Adesuwa, owner of TW Magazine) after the wedding.

Unfortunately, Lagos is not that big and you can’t hide forever. I was at Shoprite with Cakes when I spotted her and before I could turn around, she caught my eyes. I was happy to see her though and ran over to say hello. Let’s just say that by the time I left, I had been given a firm talking to. She wasn’t even trying to hear my “Blame-it-on-the-baker” song, because my body was/is MY responsibility. Ms. Henshaw does not play with health, and she was disappointed to hear that I had stopped exercising and eating properly. Well, even though I was mortified that day, it was the wake up call I needed.

That encounter was just before the New Year started, so it was easier for me to tack on “Weight loss” as one of my goals/resolutions for the year. I have started exercising again, and my food intake has included more fruits, vegetables, non-fried foods, and NO SODA OR EVEN FRUIT JUICE AT ALL!!! And, it helps that most churches are fasting right now (LOL).

It’s just the second week of the year, but I’ve lost 4 pounds already. It’s not easy, but I’m trying to zero in on exercises that I actually enjoy, so that I can be consistent.
Why am I sharing this so publicly? I don’t know exactly. Maybe I want some form of radical accountability. Maybe there’s someone out there who has gained weight too, feels bad and thinks he/she is all alone, and I want to tell them that it’s not the end of the world. Or maybe I’m just sharing my experience. Whatever the reason is, my struggle is out there in the open now. Wish me luck, squats and the ability to like push-ups.

Berry Dakara is a Lifestyle blogger (http://berrydakara.blogspot.com) who shares her thoughts on anything and everything from marriage to friendships to faith, and other random topics. You can find her on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook - @berrydakara. She's also a weekly contributor to the African Naturalistas, a natural hair website and consultancy dedicated to teaching healthy hair care practices.

1. Bella Noire

January 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

I’m in the same place minus Cakes 🙂 Good luck and wish you all the best. I’m limiting carb intake to breakfast and lunch and only eat protein and vegetables for dinner. Portion control is another tactic. It’s funny how you can survive on one spoon of rice, one piece of chicken for one meal the same way you survived on five spoons of rice and two pieces of chicken.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 13, 2015 at 3:04 pm

My sister! As in, that thing you said about 1 spoon of rice, is so true!!! The body can actually power on but your mind tells you that 10 spoons are needed to truly “fill” you up. Lord help us all in this quest.

• Berry Dakara

January 14, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Portion control for me, is the best way to tackle this food thing. I’m not the kind of person that likes to eliminate this food group or that one, because one day when I decide my diet is over, I’ll overcompensate and have massive amounts of what I kept myself from eating. During the TW challenge, I actually tried food-wise. For instance, if Cakes and I wanted shawarma, I’d make sure I ate only half, and I always got it without the sauce. My brain and tummy still felt like I had eaten shawarma; so yes, we can survive on smaller or healthier versions of the food we love.

2. tybay

January 13, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I can relate to your situation Berry. I’d always been a slim chick, standing at 5’10 and weighing between 58 and 60kg pre-marriage and pre-baby. Several months after giving birth though, I went up to a whooping 83kg (which for my height still wasn’t bad).
    Omo mehn, that was the wake up call for me, cos my self esteem took a nose dive. But I didn’t let the pity party last long. I made some lifestyle changes (Long walks with hubby, healthy eating e.t.c) and now I weigh about 70kg, which is fair enough (was gunning for 65kg).
    I think with determination and hard work, anyone can slug it out and reach their weight loss goals…

• Berry Dakara

January 14, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Kudos on losing the baby weight. 13kg is not beans!

I want to be like you when I grow up and have babies 😀

3. BubblyBliss

January 13, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Thank you Berry Dakara. You shared this because of me. One of my friends teased me once that since she met me I’ve been trying to lose weight. It’s been 12 years since I met her oh and I have successfully lost weight in between this time but now I am at my heaviest and I don’t like my body at all. I’m hoping to lose 20kg (yea 44lbs) by the end of this year. So help me God. That about 4 years of weight gain that I’m trying to lose.

I need a sustainable way to get this done. Funny thing is I really enjoy working out but I am too inconsistent.

• The F&N Guru

January 13, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Hi Bubbly bliss, can I just say that I admire your honesty. Here are a few tips that are useful for long term weight loss, firstly take it slow. Slow and steady wins the race remeber. Dont set a high target for yourself because you would be setting yourself up for failure and that might just turn into a continuous cycle. Have a long term plan but set small goals say to lose a pound or two every week. Secondly, Drink plenty of water and move more. It doesnt have to be anything fancy brisk walking for 15-30 mins daily and build up on it as you progress. You can get a workout buddy for this purpose to help with accountability. Thirdly eat more fruits and vegetables and reduce portion sizes. Last but not the least keep track of your daily intake. Get a journal, download an app on your phone whatever works best for you as long as you are aware of what you are eating daily it should help you with making healthier choices. If followed properly these last few tips can help you reach your weight loss goals in adequate time. I hope you find these useful.

• Berry Dakara

January 14, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for your comment, which I totally agree with.

What seems to be working for me right now…
      1. I made sure to buy a 1L bottle, and the aim is to drink 2 full bottles a day.
      2. I also know how many pounds I want to lose overall, but for right now, my target is “Exercise for at least 30 minutes today, tomorrow, and the next,” and it seems to be working.
      3. Trying to change the mindset of food as a reward or for celebration. Instead looking at getting a beauty treatment, or a new clothing item or just knowing that something fits me better.

• Berry Dakara

January 14, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Hey BubblyBliss. Thanks a lot. Honestly, I wasn’t sure if the article would be well received and I’m pleasantly surprised 🙂

My problem too has been inconsistency, but right now I’m on a roll. As in, I’ve exercised every single day for the past week and a half. I’m careful not to put too much strain that I can’t work out the following day. And for days that I just feel out of it, I focus on stretching workouts like yoga or toning exercises.

Also, it’s definitely confirmed that I’m the kind of person that has to workout in the morning and get it over with. If I wait until later, I can find any excuse – hunger, fatigue, boredom, traffic, etc. So I pack my bag and pick out my exercise clothes at night, so that I don’t have any excuse in the morning.

I wish you the best!

4. rynyx

January 13, 2015 at 12:23 pm

which kind wahala be this berry? I just got a yummy slice of cake and settled in front of my pc only to see this. now the cake tastes like quinine. I had two kids in two consecutive years, I am not what you will call fat but the folds on my tommy just makes me run away from the mirror. I call them my battle scars, lol. I guess discipline is the major ingredient, beyond just wishing, u must make a move and stick to it ( this is me talking to myself). all the best berry, hope u come back again soon to share your progress report. Can I at least finish the cake? only today abeg,lolololol

• Dr. N

January 13, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I had a huge plate of rice in front of me, lol! Abeg, free me. I will diet next month
      *peeps to see if anyone is watching* *peeptoes out*

• Berry Dakara

January 14, 2015 at 3:44 pm

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ You and Dr N!!!

Go ahead and enjoy your desserts.

5. jess

January 13, 2015 at 12:28 pm

im in a similar situation….unfortunately im not big, ppl say im ok the way i am. But i want a new look, i started working out on the 5th of this month and iv lost 2kg. i drink a cup of tea at work and wen i return i workout for an hour n eat veggies nd fruits. i really dont like fruits but i like veggies alot. and it has taught me to cook by myself,,,,,and i think im almost becoming a good cook.

• NaijaPikin

January 13, 2015 at 9:20 pm

Wait are you saying the only thing you consume all day is a cup of tea? If yes, please this is not the way fwd. Especially if you are working out. The body needs energy. Starving yourself is not a healthy sustainable weight loss plan.

• Berry Dakara

January 14, 2015 at 4:11 pm

HI Jess. I agree with NaijaPikin. Unless you’re fasting for a set period, starving yourself isn’t the best way, because when you start to eat again, the weight will come back very quickly.

6. mrs chidukane

January 13, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Talk to me about marriage weight gain. It also doesn’t help that everyone eats what you eat and they manage to stay slim while you gain weight. Having a baby doesn’t leave you with much time for exercise either, le sigh. Well, it’s a battle we must win but imma have to start after this weekend cos I got a parry with yummy food n drinks, lol.

7. ba

January 13, 2015 at 12:57 pm

you go girl! Encouraging piece from you as always.

8. Athena .S.A

January 13, 2015 at 12:57 pm

The struggle is real!!! Thank you Berry for the article…..Im struggling to lose weight especially my belly and Im a mother of 2. Ive tried to cut down on carbs and stuff, but the tummy still remains and makes me so uncomfortable. Starting to jog tomorrow. All the best to you ladies – with love from S.A.

• Ginika

January 13, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hey Athena!

Here is a tip for exercising, a skipping rope. It is one of the best forms of cardio and it burns calories twice as fast as jogging. Remember how you felt as a kid skipping (if you enjoyed it), you can just pretend youre having fun. The best part is you do it in the comfort of your home surroundings at any time. Try gunning for 400 skips a day. It can be split between morning and evening.

All the best

xx
      G

• Tiki

August 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Skipping is all good and fine, except if you weigh above 100kg and have size F boobs.

I’ve always been heavy all my life, and it’s never really bothered me. The bad thing is I wear my weight well and I’m decently tall, so I got a lot more compliments than admonishment (to my face though, who knows and who cares what people said behind my back?) Anyway, for God-knows-what reason, I decided earlier this year to get back to under 100kg ( starting out at 116kg in February) and I’m almost there! My modus operandi has been to go slow and steady, as in, I started with walking, then walking + jogging, then joined a gym, and I just recently got back from a holiday abroad, during which KFC was my best buddy…and I still lost weight!

Totally agree with @BerryDakara about the diet thing. My advice? Find what works for you, and stick to it. For me it’s eat whatever you want in tiny portions (including icecream and fries, but NO SODA!!), and exercise your heart out!

9. Blessmyheart

January 13, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I can also relate Berry. I never used to bother about my weight over the years. I remember I weighed 55kg when leaving school but I wasn’t really into monitoring my weight except when I had to go to the hospital. People started telling me I was gaining weight even before I got married because I was on some medication, but I still didn’t pay attention. A few months after marriage, I realised I weighed 74kg. What??!!! I had gone from a size 8 and was creeping to a 14 already. I couldn’t believe I had allowed myself gain so much weight and I wasn’t even pregnant. The embarrassment from people asking if you’re pregnant is story for another day.
    The first step for me was learning to control the weight gain cos it just kept creeping up seemingly. Then I started watching my meals and portions, trying to eat little or nothing at night, taking more fruits, etc. I’ve been too lazy to do a lot of exercise but I try to walk more and use the stairs as often as I can. And then I wrote an exam last year and seemed to gain some of the weight lost while preparing for the exam. Unfortunately, it’s a constant battle. I currently weigh 68kg now but hope to lose about 3kg more and sustain it.

10. missiey

January 13, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I don’t know about the post marriage weight gain and struggles, but I definitely know how difficult it is to struggle with ones weight. Mine started quite early in life at about 15. Looking back now, I really wasn’t overweight but the desire to be loved made me listen to people’s view about my weight. Then the emotional eating habit took it’s toll on me and actually made me gain weight.
    Somehow, I’m glad this happened much earlier in life, making me start my fitness journey quite early and I’ve learnt to love myself and live healthy. I’m determined to stay fit-postmarriage and post baby(so help me God and by my persistence).

11. FunkyW

January 13, 2015 at 2:08 pm

Awww Berry, all the best! Anyone looking to loose weight can follow @dooneyskitchen on instagram, she’s been sharing healthy Nigerian food recipes for going #fitfam.
    Most of us in my extended family are on the other side of the divide, we loose weight easily and celebrate every kg gained but the most important thing for everyone is eating healthy and cultivating food habits that keep us alive. My Grandma L. is 88 and she’s s doesn’t even look it, she takes Karella or Moringa every other night, she eats dinner by around 5:30pm, she makes very conscious effort to eat healthy.

12. Chu

January 13, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Talk about gaining weight after marriage. The weight started creeping on before the wedding and I started to fight it cos my mum was on my case. She once asked if I wanted to get married in a sack. Thank God I looked slender at my wedding, but afterwards the weight piled back up. People thought I was pregnant already. Now I actually am pregnant and even though its just 4 months I started showing from like 2 months ago. People are saying that it looks like twins but I know its my disposition to gain weight that as the culprit. How do I lose weight while pregnant? Is it even safe to do that? I’m not happy about my body and fearful on if I can ever go down after delivering. My mum is slender and so is my dad’s side so don’t know where this disposition came from.

13. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 13, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Dearest Berry, we embrace your quest for radical accountability and no, you are not alone. Last year, after the 100 day fast (all the Redeemites know what I’m on about), I lost a lot of weight. No be say man pikin been dey fast strictly for the purpose of skinnying down but no woman will bold-facedly admit that she wasn’t secretly pleased to have killed multiple birds with that one stone.

So, I was feeling great about myself around April 2014 when the fast ended and pranced onwards into the rest of year without putting too much thought into what landed on my plate because, as you said yourself, I wasn’t worried about the first few pounds that started creeping back on. 2kg? Ehn, I can lose it again, na. Oh, another 3kg on top of the last two? That’s not a big deal, it won’t be hard to shift. Until I put on nearly 10kg. I made a hasty return to the gym in Oct 2014 (after being away for nearly 1 year) and even though the exercise was making me feel a lot more energetic and the squats were lifting my bum, I found I wasn’t actually losing that much weight. And the holidays came around quickly, which made it worse.

Then, I read Atoke’s article at the end of last year about going from size 16 – 8 and decided to seriously reconsider my eating habits. Even before I read Toksy’s article, I ran into a cousin of mine and her weight loss humbled me. See the journey they both made and see me who’s gone from a size 6 to 10, so what the heck was my excuse? I used to be a lot more athletic and took my past slimness for granted but when I stopped exercising regularly, I continued eating as if I was still burning carbs.

As someone said above, that one spoon of rice will do the job that you believe you need 6 spoons for and this became my mantra for 2015. Even though the year is young (and another 40 day fast is underway), I’ve already been introducing much smaller portions to my plate and feel much better for it. So, instead of breaking the fast the way I might ordinarily be tempted to, I’m teaching myself to eat more carefully and it’s been going well.. Can’t visit the gym during this time so I have to police that one meal a day with care.

Hopefully, when I stop fasting and go back, I’m able to get to a level of physical fitness and a weight that’s ideal. All the best with the jumping jacks and push-ups! You’ll be tempted to give up the ghost a few times but after surviving each routine, you take your gasping and sweaty self home feeling like a complete boss. 😉

• Iris

January 14, 2015 at 7:40 am

Mz Socially Awkward I have a question for you! What is your squatting regimen like abeg? I’m trying to lift “le bum” too but I get overwhelmed with the different kinds of squats on the internet. I hope I’m even squatting properly. Each time I think I’ve found a good video that explains it I find a lot of comments below bashing the technique. I hate the gym so I try to do yoga and pilates and to work on my diet, and I have ankle weights at home. Squatting seemed to confusing so figured I could just do weighted leg lifts, but I hear squatting is really good.

• Bee

January 14, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Well im on the slender side but squatting has really lifted my bum. In all honesty every type of squat has been criticised, its not enough this, or doesn’t activate that muscle enough. So I just decided to start with the simple body squat, and saw amazing results. I would do 50 squats two to three times a week. I recently bought a kettlebell and it has moved my squatting game to a new level. I now do weighted pulse squats, normal weighted squats and weighted sumo squats all with the kettlebell. Im now at 60 to 70 squats two times a week and I mix the types I do with each session.. I can vouch for a fact that the pulse squats and the sumo squats really give my behind a workout ( ull feel the burn lol). It’s much firmer, pumped and my legs are getting good muscle definition without looking muscular. I also use the kettlebell to work my tummy and arms so it’s really great.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 14, 2015 at 1:45 pm

@Iris, let me sing it loudly from the rooftops – Body Pump, Body Pump, Body Pump!!! 🙂 🙂 A friend of mine really got into it last year and tried to sell it to me (take a bow, sis, I know you come to BN regularly) but when I initially looked into what it was about, the very thought of a 50min class mainly comprising of using weights and body bars made my soul despair.

However, I decided to test my mettle when I returned to the gym in Oct 2014 and have to say that after the first terrifying class (the instructor actually noted out loud that I looked like a deer caught in the headlights), I haven’t regretted my discovery. Pump classes are about all kinds of cardio-vascular activity to build your major muscle groups and, my Lord!, they will drill you with some serious squats as well.

@Bee is on point. Using weights in your squats will move your routine to a new level. And the pulse squats!! Pulsing with all them 10kg weights, oh!!! Kai, the muscles in my thighs are wincing just thinking about it… but I promise, you’ll feel great and the endorphin kick is so addictive that you’ll be going back for more, more, MORE. 🙂 My caution is to start small weight-wise, you don’t want to cause yourself any major muscle injury in the quest for a nicely lifted bum. Maybe 2.5kg in each hand to start and then work your way upwards?

Here’s to fantastic looking derrieres, all around, in 2015!!!

• Iris

January 14, 2015 at 3:42 pm

@Bee and Mz Socially Awkward thank you! Here’s hoping in a few months I shall return to give Bum Bum and Toning testimonies LOL

14. TA

January 13, 2015 at 4:01 pm

@ Berry, thank you for this post o. You people should help me to beg the people around me. Because for me, my own problem is that when I set a goal to lose say 10kg and then I struggle to lose about 5 or 6kg and then everyone (even my oyinbo folks plus darling momma inclusive) starts moaning about how I have lost so much weight, ‘ah,don’t lose weight in the vital areas o,you are an African woman.’ ‘Oh African women need their booty,You have lost too much weight o’ ‘blah blah bleh. Na so! Before you know it, I relax back into my old pattern of bad eating habits as a proud foodie and voila! I gain back all the weight I lost and a little MORE as jara! Then the cycle starts again. I define yo-yo dieting to the Y. I don tire o jare. I have started again this time and I MUST get to my target weight. 🙂

Make I see that person that will complain before I get to my goal. *insert angry icon’

• Person

January 13, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I follow Brittnebabe on Instagram. She is African-American and her ass is for the gods!!! HEr body is SICK!!! in a good way. And no, she wasn’t always like that. LOL. I’ve picked up a few things from her so you can try following her.

• TA

January 13, 2015 at 4:58 pm

@ Person, Thanks.

• Ivy

January 13, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Oh my!!! Did u always have a big bum?…..I want my bum to be slightly bigger. Gained a lot this past xmas and annoyingly it goes to my tummy, boobs and face cheeks. How do i get toned arms, flat tummy and bigger booty without spending so much on exercise equipment?

• Ij mi

April 16, 2016 at 6:07 pm

I just looked her up. Oh my oh my. I need some before pictures though to be sure she was not born like that choi

• Didi

January 13, 2015 at 4:43 pm

That was exactly the same thing that happened to me. You’ve lost too much weight …, well now I am 4kg bigger than what I started with. I need to drop this weight again, but I hope no one starts saying you’ve lost too much weight

15. Ynnon

January 13, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Congrats on losing the four pounds. You can do it! Can’t wait to read about you losing the rest of the added weight.

16. Kblaze

January 13, 2015 at 4:17 pm

People say I’m not big but my tummy is! I’m not a big fan of the gym so I’ve started this year with Pilates and yoga videos on YouTube. I’m embarking on a 100 day challenge to cut out fizzy drinks and no carbs for dinner and work out daily somehow (already behind on this one!). Wishing you the very best Berry, you are doing very well already 🙂

17. me

January 13, 2015 at 4:17 pm

whats with the lbs its Nigeria for Gods’ sake! we are used to kg!

• TA

January 13, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Nor vex, you can convert it online you know.

18. jhennique

January 13, 2015 at 4:29 pm

……..and here i am sturggling to keep some weight on. LOL! Life!

19. imose

January 13, 2015 at 6:49 pm

yea me too…lol! This 40 days fast is my lee way out. I must make sure i practice the portion tactic too after fast is over. Lost alot of weight during the last 100 days fast. Though i gained some pounds. . sigh*
    my weight gain started when i had my 1st baby(from size 10-12) then 2nd baby (from size 12 – 14,16,18) 100 days fast brought me back to size 14. Still shuffling between 14/16 . Discipline is key… Berry dear we all are in it together 🙂

20. papermoon

January 13, 2015 at 7:05 pm

i hate going to the gym, so i decided to start doing press ups, squats, planks and lunges at home and it really helped. sorry if i misspell.

• papermoon

January 13, 2015 at 7:09 pm

and please dont spend the whole time on a cardio machine, lift some weight, it helps…… alot. thats what builds the muscles.

21. TS

January 13, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Hi Berry ::-)

Glad to read this post! Always excited about anyone trying to get into healthy living. Some tips that worked for me:

1. Don’t try to lose it too fast. Target 1-2pounds a week. Even 2 pounds is hard to accomplish after the first couple of weeks. You mentioned you lost 4 lbs this week, don’t let that be your expectation otherwise, you become disappointed and may fall back into your old habits.

2. Make it a lifestyle – Do the exercises you enjoy. It is much easier to incorporate exercising into your lifestyle in small bits and pieces so it can be sustained long term. Don’t try to overdo it and exercise 7 days a week, your body needs rest. For example, I do 30 minute walks during my lunch break before eating. Since you blog regularly, posting about your health journey will make you more accountable because your readers will surely call you out when you fall behind 😉

3. Get a Wearable Fitness Device – There are tons of them out there from Polar, Fitbit, etc. Get one that can measure how many steps and count calories. I just got the Fitbit Charge and I love it. These tools are quite motivating when you see you are far from your goals. Once I got mine, I stopped focusing so much on my weight but rather I challenge myself on how I can beat my previous highest steps in a day.

4. Keep Focus – You will get resistance (even from those people that love you) because you are changing. The time you used to spend to hang out with some friends or go to events will now be spent exercising and cooking healthy meals. You will need to set your priorities straight to get this done. Also, there will be moments where you work so hard and the scale does not move, don’t get upset because your body is definitely changing. The scale is just a number, keep that in mind. Always look in the mirror/take photos to see your changes. Scales are often deceptive to a health journey.

5. Build Support – Even if this is a journey alone and it can be lonely and difficult because the work and the results are yours and yours only, there are tons of people on the same journey as yourself so keep those positive people around you and share some tips with each other.

Best wishes….you can follow me at instagram @titi_healthnut.

• Tiki

August 24, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I’ve got the Polar FT4, Thinking about the Fitbit charge but I’m afraid looking at those ‘resting burn’ calories will just make me lazy. I’ll consider them to be the icing on the cake, and stick to my goal of seeing at least a 1k kcal burn on my Polar 4 times a week, and at least 5k steps on S-Health every day.

22. HAWTTALKWITHTOSAN

January 13, 2015 at 8:57 pm

I totally feel you! I was at my highest weight in 2013 and decided to take action. I lost 36 lbs and I have kept 32 of that off. It definitely a constant struggle as I love food. however we do not need too much to survive. Moderation not deprivation is the key to long term weight maintenance. Add an exercise routine and you are golden.

23. Geee

January 13, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I have been walking from pharmacist to pharmcist, asking for drugs that will make me fat, the problem here is all the drugs will make me sleep and I don’t want to sleep cause I’m a busy person……Fat where are you…..

• jhennique

January 14, 2015 at 8:21 am

lmao. I can totally relate.

24. Geee

January 13, 2015 at 11:08 pm

From pharmacy to pharmacy rather

25. chique

January 14, 2015 at 7:22 am

I can’t imagine the US abi UK using KG, so why use lb??

• Blessmyheart

January 14, 2015 at 9:49 am

She spent about 15 years in the US. I guess that’s what she’s used to.

26. me

January 14, 2015 at 9:15 am

when me am trying to add weight, people are complaining of having too much weight,iv bin weighing btw 40 and 45kg for the past 10 years, iv tried everything, nutin works, iv given up, i just make sure I eat healthy and I enjoy my life, I can come and die

• bunmi

January 15, 2015 at 11:25 am

bunmi try dynamogen. i gained ten kg in one year

27. Tope Banks

January 14, 2015 at 12:48 pm

My sister the struggle to loose weight is not a joke lol. I have struggled with my weight most of my life but there’s nothing a lil discipline can’t keep off.

bravewealth.smartmediatechnologies.com

28. Emerie

January 15, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Odd world. Am slim and trying to add some pounds of flesh. Other women are complaining of too much weight. Oh well,one man’s meat is another man’s poison.

29. Deizy•

January 16, 2015 at 7:35 pm

The irony of life really…pls I really need to gain weight..it has really affected my esteem over the years,clothes don’t fit properly and I look way too younger than my age..which I’m not comfortable with..pls what can I do?

30. jasmine

January 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm

i cant afford the luxury of a gym now due to work, I am looking to get workout dvds so I cld exercise at home. any one know where I can get in lagos???? also need the Polar monitors pls