News

Get Up Close & Personal with Serena Williams for New York Times | Talks Black Excellence & a Need to Win

Adesola Ade-Unuigbe

CNSN_p6WEAAWTnxTennis legend Serena Williams gets her close up on the cover of The New York Times Magazine‘s latest issue.

The 33-year-old athlete has had a very busy and fruitful year so far and she has been everywhere in the media – in a good way.

30serena2-superJumbo-v8

Here’s what she had to share with the mag:

On why she plays the sport: “I play for me, but I also play and represent something much greater than me. I embrace that. I love that. I want that. So ultimately, when I am out there on the court, I am playing for me.”

On the need to win: “You don’t understand me. I’m just about winning. It’s not about getting 22 Grand Slams. I’m cool. I want to play tennis. I hate to lose. I want to win. But I don’t have numbers in my head.”

On being high up on Forbes’ lists than Maria Sharapova and Eugenie Bouchard: “If they want to market someone who is white and blond, that’s their choice. I have a lot of partners who are very happy to work with me. I can’t sit here and say I should be higher on the list because I have won more. I’m happy for her, because she worked hard, too. There is enough at the table for everyone. We have to be thankful, and we also have to be positive about it so the next black person can be No. 1 on that list. Maybe it was not meant to be me. Maybe it’s meant to be the next person to be amazing, and I’m just opening the door. Zina Garrison, Althea Gibson, Arthur Ashe and Venus opened so many doors for me. I’m just opening the next door for the next person.”

On black excellence: “We have to be thankful, and we also have to be positive about it so the next black person can be No. 1 on that list. Maybe it was not meant to be me. Maybe it’s meant to be the next person to be amazing, and I’m just opening the door. Zina Garrison, Althea Gibson, Arthur Ashe and Venus opened so many doors for me. I’m just opening the next door for the next person.”

Read more from her feature here.

Photo Credit: New York Times

1. mebi

August 26, 2015 at 10:19 am

nice talk

2. Bella

August 26, 2015 at 11:25 am

Love me some Serena – All hail black excellence and may we have the mind to always remember to open doors for others of our own kind. There is enough room at the top, at the table – lets get rid of this spirit of taking all and leaving none for those that are meant to follow in our footsteps, lets stop raping our country and its resources!

3. 'Deola

August 26, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I can’t understand being positive about the marketing that is discriminatory. It says black women are not sexy to market. The statistics of black models in the fashion industry gives a finer reading to the culture of discrimination. The wrinkle in this reading is Lebron James and Michael Jordan make and made good marketing choices , especially Jordan that defined an era. Tiger Woods out of the gate broke all the marketing records, but was finished when he tore through many blondes . It eventually became the story of Mandigo met his just desserts . I see another side that has nothing to do with black people but rather black women’s figure not being sexy in the main stream. I guess that is the distinction, Serena!

4. Deedara

August 26, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I just love Serena… she has amazing strength in so many different dimensions. Always inspiring.

5. ngozi

August 26, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Love you serenade. You are my inspiration. Champion!!!

6. ngozi

August 26, 2015 at 9:51 pm

Oops I mean serena!!! Lol.. Either way congrats on the New York times feature

7. neeka

August 27, 2015 at 6:38 am

go champ! go Serena! lovely make up. ladies that is how make up it done.

8. Tosin

August 30, 2015 at 5:15 am

“Zina Garrison, Althea Gibson, Arthur Ashe and Venus opened so many doors for me”
    Tennis G-O-A-T. I pray I can watch a lot of the US Open matches next month, and pray it’s fun and hopefully that Serena wins and wins and wins.