Music

One of the benefits of being single is closer relationship with God – Chidinma

BellaNaija - When single you develop a closer relationship with God - Chidinma

Singer Chidinma today outlined the benefits of being single on her Instagram page. She stated that that time when you’re not married is the best time to develop a close relationship with God.

The “Kedike” singer explained that while there is nothing wrong with wanting to get married, one also needs to wait on the Lord while worshiping him and ministering to him. She wrote:

Some of you do not understand the benefits of being single, while you’re not married, you ought to be involved with God. At 5am you can lie in bed and pray in the spirit, you can lie on the floor and worship, you can lie in the bath, praising and worshipping for as long as you want. The Lord wants you to come home at the end of the day and say ‘Lord, I went through so much today, I couldn’t wait to get home to worship you, I’m glad you’re here’. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to be married, just take care of the Lord while you’re waiting, minister to Him and worship Him. You’re in a position and posture of prayer. The Lord has become your necessary food. There is a special relationship between God and the single believer. God has a special anointing for the woman who is free to seek Him. Her prayer life should explode in miracles.

A post shared by Chidinmaekile (@chidinmaekile) on

Photo Credit: Instagram – @chidinmaekile

1. Adabekee

July 29, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Not to sound like the opposition party, but a woman can be married and still have a relationship with God. Women should stop feeling afraid of admitting that they desire marriage. At this point, if the yearning has come, pray to God for a good man who will appreciate and love you. All these subtle comparisons between Singlehood and Marriage are getting old especially amongst women who are internally yearning for their own men. But hey, whatever rocks your boat though.

• Manny

July 29, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Did she say that married women cannot have a relationship with God? Na wa. You do sound like the opposition party.
      I didn’t see the comparison but if you did, then maybe your subconscious is telling you something about yourself.

• #Proudnigerian

July 29, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Please read and understand! She never said a married woman cannot have a relationship with God. Our relationship with God continues to build its inexhaustible. A mans love can never replace God’s love. No man can make you complete I repeat no Man can make you complete. You find yourself in Christ so instead of praying God give me a husband give me a husband have you worked on your relationship with him first? That is all she’s trying to say. Besides not everybody is destined to marry?

• itsjusme

July 29, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Not every woman wants to get married…so in some cases, there is nothing to admit.

• DR

July 29, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Calm down. All she is saying is that when you are single you have more time to devote to the Lord. You are not thinking of the needs of husband, children, house, etc. Even Paul spoke about this in Corinthians.
      1st Cor 7: 32-34: “But I want you to be free from concern. One who is unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord; 33 but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

• Joy Ojo

July 30, 2017 at 9:43 am

Well said dear.

• Evi

July 31, 2017 at 8:31 am

The Bible even compares both circumstances, I can’t remember what passage of scripture it is in when Paul was saying it is better to be single than married, because when you are single you can focus solely on God but when you are married the attention is divided between God and your spouse, and guess what when children come into the mix, you have to be more intentional about spending time with God. I mean some relationships suffer when you get married, not to talk of time with God. She is not saying don’t get married or don’t desire to be married because that will affect your time with God, all she is saying is don’t waste your time when you are single, rather invest it in your relationship with God, because whilst single, you have more time for Him.

• Lailatu

July 31, 2017 at 1:34 pm

@ Adabekee, but she’s only repeating what Apostle Paul said.

2. Diamond

July 29, 2017 at 8:42 pm

We know that a married woman can have a relationship with God. But honestly, as a spinster you have more time for God, than the married. I know married women with so much responsibilities that they hardly have time for fellowship. Many of my colleagues do their devotion in the office because they wake up early to cook and ready their kids for school.

Chidimma didn’t make any single/married comparison. You did. She was only speaking from a spinster’s perspective.

• Y200

July 29, 2017 at 8:58 pm

@ Adabekee U are getting it all wrong and @ Diamond so TRUE and I have to agree with Chidinma as well.. As a splinter, your relationship with God is totally and completely different . Esp while waiting on God to do it for U, U can’t go wrong while serving him. I mean, it’s something you Can’t explain to no one else rather than enjoying the experience. According to T.D Jakes there’s nothing wrong with been single bit guard your heart and live a WHOLE hearted life for GOD.

• Amaka

July 30, 2017 at 11:26 pm

What she said is actually scriptural. A good marriage is a reward. I am so happy I worked for God when I was single, I am still working for God but in a different capacity. My husband and I were in the choir , both of us were youth ministers. When he told me God said I was the one, I wasn’t thinking about marriage. I was just serving God. When you are single, you can get in your car when you like and go pick the drummer from home. I therefore agree with the fact that a single person should spend time serving God, He will bring the right person your way. But occupy your time with yout maker instead of getting overwhelmed by thoughts that you are not married yet.

3. micah

July 29, 2017 at 9:08 pm

yes i totally agree with chidinma ..but i guess its just an advice to us…but most of we singles spend the “worship” time looking for relationship, doing slay queen on instagram and fornicating

4. I no send

July 29, 2017 at 9:11 pm

That’s her Opinion and her little mind. Those with much time can argue.

5. Crown

July 29, 2017 at 9:20 pm

I agree

6. Ekene

July 29, 2017 at 9:25 pm

I think the comparison is between singles who fornicates and ones who don’t

7. Dee

July 29, 2017 at 10:06 pm

It doesn’t mean she hates marriage or that she won’t get married one day. It also doesn’t mean that married people cannot have a close relationship with God.

She’s basically saying that while single people can take advantage of their situation by drawing closer to God.

Married people must use some of their time
    and energy to please their mates and take care of their children (if they have) which is not wrong at all. But single people often have more time and personal freedom so they can decide to use their time and energy more in serving God without distraction.

There are people in bible times who decided to stay single for life so that can use the extra freedom to better serve God (e.g Jesus). Though this is not a must to please God.

These days e get some people sef wey don marry but decide not to get children just to get more time for God.

Whether ur singleness na by choice or circumstances use the extra freedom u get to do more in ur service to God. No be to dey over party or commit fornication.

8. ***

July 29, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Her point is if you are a spinster, you should have more time for God since you are not weighed down or occupied with family wahala…she’s basically saying don’t thrive in despair because you are single instead be happy you are single and dedicate your ‘infinite’ spare time to worshipping God…I don’t know sha, that’s what I got from it

9. OJ

July 29, 2017 at 10:41 pm

Na wa ooo, suddenly God has been brought into the equation. After all the gbenshing and clubbing upandan, next thing is I want a man that has the fear of God…I get her Shaa, get spiritual for a while, an undiscerning man will fall for you, marry and after some time get back to her normal ways…it always works, trust me

• Just me

July 30, 2017 at 5:33 am

Lol. I feel you….

10. Deji

July 30, 2017 at 12:58 am

Yawns!!

11. Adabekee

July 30, 2017 at 9:52 am

Maybe my eyes were deceiving me from the 6th to 8th line where she said “There is a special relationship between God and the single believer” Does this special relationship include Side Chics and single runs babes? My point is, a woman should strive for a relationship with God whether she is single or married. All these theoretical talks don’t help when women who desire marriage keep pretending they are closer to God than married women. And no, marriage is definitely not for everyone but those who desire it should be able to admit it without correlating singlehood with a special relationship with God. Everyone should strive for salvation, whether single or married.

• Manny

August 1, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Adabekee you’re just being contentious. Read again. SINGLE BELIEVER. So your question about runs girls and side chics does not make any sense. Is a runs girl a believer? Is a side chic a believer?

12. Chioma

July 30, 2017 at 11:10 am

Funny. To me being single comes with a lot of challenges and distraction. Being married affords you greater opportunity to serve God in one piece so I don’t know what chidimma is saying. Outlining spiritual gain to singlehood is ridiculous

13. Stellamaris

July 30, 2017 at 11:31 am

My dear, very true statement, you sure have more time to pray as a single lady. I have been single and am married. Typical school day ….wake up time 4am or 4.3am, get the children ready for school/lunch etc . school run, then off to work, then pick them back from school, homework, family dinner, office work …. Get their stuff ready for the next day, attend to Oga and the circle begins all over again, even with a housekeeper or help you must oversee and pay personal attention. Most times devotion is done by the Car before setting off.
    I can relate, it was so much easier as a single lady, what with, attending all kinds of breakfast meetings, night vilgils, prayer meetings, singles meeting, evangelism, midweek services et al .
    Still try to meet most church and personal worship now, but it’s no longer as easy with the little people, maybe when they get a bit older, but now it’s a tough call, but God is giving us grace to cope. For those married and are still keeping keeping worship like yesterday…….please share tips. ……

14. RichyGame

July 30, 2017 at 11:45 am

Salient point Chiddy dearie.

Even if you are not the so-called religious type, staying out of a relationship let’s you breathe and find yourself. I always pity the serial daters that can barely stay a month and are back on with someone else. The trend will go on and on that if one is not in a relationship, he or she does not feel complete and that is truly dangerous.

My so called relation ship that scattered prior to my marriage was a blessing. I was able to truly find myself, serve God with greatly reduced hindrance and immersed myself in study of books on the subject of marriage. Seven years on in marriage and that has helped me a great deal.

Total emotional (and the other type if that’s your way) dependency on a partner – male to female o; don’t get it twisted – is a no-no. When you are indeed happy being single, you are likely better matured for a relationship/marriage.

15. [email protected]

July 30, 2017 at 8:11 pm

So one of the benefits of being single is having an imaginary friend and talking to yourself? Got it!

• Miss sunshine

July 31, 2017 at 10:55 am

Awww poor you but too bad God isn’t an imaginary friend. When you’ve received enough revelation, you’ll know that he is as real as the air we breathe. I pray you come to know Him before it’s too late. Peace!!!