News

Using Social Media as a Tool! CNN Inside Africa meets with Linda Ikeji, Sisi Yemmie & Chiamaka “Social Prefect” Obuekwe

BellaNaija.com

This week on Inside Africa, CNN International heads to Lagos to meet some of the high profile and highly paid personalities that have emerged with the rise of social media. This tech savvy generation have embraced social media, which has provided opportunities for women in business like never before.

The programme meets Linda Ikeji, one of Nigeria’s biggest social media stars, to learn more about her journey to success. After starting her blog more than ten years ago, she says her success came from her determination and enthusiasm:

One of the things that drives a business to succeed is passion. It’s not about money. I’ve made money – I could move on and do some other things or leave it to my people but I’m extremely passionate about what I do and it gives me so much joy.

Ikeji’s achievements have provided her with sufficient funds to start her own businesses – including owning a TV station –  which are growing rapidly.  She tells CNN how she wants to continue succeeding and hopes to inspire others:

I feel like I’m still climbing the ladder of success. There’s still so much I want to do… I’m hoping that my story, my life can inspire other young girls to fight for their dreams, work hard, believe in themselves, believe that there’s absolutely nothing that they cannot become…I’m hoping that my life can encourage other young girls to go out there and do the impossible, the things that people think can never happen.

Being a role model is something that’s also important to Linda Ikeji who wants to make sure she creates a legacy:

I want my life to be impactful…. I have to do something that will impact the society, impact my community, impact the world. I want people to know that I was here.

Social media has opened up a wealth of opportunities for young entrepreneurs. Travel enthusiast Chiamaka Obuekwe and her boyfriend founded a company which specializes in providing tours in parts of Nigeria that many people may have never seen before. Their business wouldn’t have been possible without social media, as she tells the programme:

80 per cent of our clients heard about us on social media…Ten years ago we would have had to go door to door sharing our fliers. We would have had to think about tactics… Now all we have to do is to put a post out on Instagram and in ten minutes people are dm’ing us… Without social media, I don’t think Social Prefect Tours would be here.

Vlogger Sisi Yemmie has a dedicated following for her recipes and lifestyle content with thousands of people viewing her food demonstrations every day.  She attributes her success to her honesty and openness:

When it comes to privacy I don’t have too many private moments… I base it on what I would tell my friends. If I can tell my friend this then I can definitely tell my audience this.

Sisi has won several awards and accolades, but despite her candour being part of her appeal she does have to consider the messages that she’s delivering:

It took a while for me to understand that the more popular I became I would become a role model… but I realise that responsibility comes with this platform… I am always very careful what I say. Typically, in the past I would maybe rant on Twitter, say stuff off the top of my head but now I have to think about not just my audience. I also have to have to think about brands and collaborations and when I think about things like that I am very careful about what I say and what I put out there.

1. Babygurl

December 27, 2017 at 10:43 am

Chiamaka baby! We are so proud of you!!! Inspiring women indeed.

• Fizzy

December 27, 2017 at 8:33 pm

You @babygurl are a sad sad soul. Sorry Linda isn’t going anywhere soon. Keyboard warrior. Una no like the woman yet, you keep paying money into her pocket with your clicks. Same message [email protected] Shior to the both of you.

• Osa

December 28, 2017 at 2:43 am

@fizzy una dey craze.

• Fizzy

December 28, 2017 at 9:57 pm

@Osa, you are filth. Come and beat me. So, body fit pepper you for this small cuss wey l cuss you? Yet, you can talk crap about every one else. Oshi nle pako.

2. Osa

December 27, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Same old boring lines from Linda. . . . “Inspire others while bragging , blah, blah, blah . . . ”

Sisi Yemmie and chiamaka, way to go girls!

• Felinda

December 27, 2017 at 2:39 pm

I don’t respect Africa Forbes nor CNN Africa based on their past recommendations. Useless.

• zee

December 27, 2017 at 3:21 pm

stop being bitter!!!

• Bolaji

December 27, 2017 at 3:27 pm

Do not worry ‘Felinda’ next time they will profile you and all will be well 🙂 Don’t like any of the above personally, that is fine but you cannot ignore the truth. They have built businesses with social media, for better or worse

• Fizzy

December 27, 2017 at 8:31 pm

You Osa are a sad sad soul. Sorry Linda isn’t going anywhere soon. Keyboard warrior. Una no like the woman yet, you keep paying money into her pocket with your clicks. Same message [email protected] Shior to the both of you.

• Osa

December 28, 2017 at 10:21 pm

@Fizzy aka mugun.

3. John Matilda

December 27, 2017 at 1:43 pm

The first picture does not look like Linda ikeji

• Fizzy

December 28, 2017 at 10:02 pm

So, I am Linda becos I call you out? Not only are you poor materially, you are also poor mentally. You think Linda has time to be responding to Maggots like you? The woman is too busy making her paper While you are wondering where your next meal will come from. Oshisco. I dey my house come and beat me.

4. John

December 27, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I want my life to be impactful…. I have to do something that will impactthe society, impact my community, impact the world. I want people to know that I was here…………so I will start by always showing pic of male eggplant, women breast and fake ass in my blog and also bringing Akata shows like “oyinbo wives” to Nigerian women….Go girl,women power????

• Osa

December 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm

John! How dare you? ????
      Pls be nice to linda. You know she only recently started having 3 square meals a day.

• Fizzy

December 27, 2017 at 8:36 pm

@Osa, You are so sad. People like you and I am almost certain you come from poverty. Even Dangote and Otedola’s children will never talk like this. Social media slay queens who sleep on friends floor.

• Osa

December 28, 2017 at 2:46 am

@fizzy (linda ikeji) your brain no even sabi reason. Slay queen? What the freaking hell does that mean? He he he. My comment pain you well well.

• Fizzy

December 28, 2017 at 10:03 pm

5. Lilo

December 27, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Team sisi yemi here. Very relatable. I get it with her and she gets it too. Linda ‘s growing attachment to materialism has in my opinion made her less relatable. Despite what she preaches, it goes without saying that She seeks acceptance and validation for certain groups in the so-called who is who clan in Nigeria and I don’t think she needs all that.

• tunmi

December 27, 2017 at 3:53 pm

she’s a nigerian. it’s in our blood

• Fizzy

December 27, 2017 at 8:40 pm

@Lilo and Co. There is nothing wrong in leaving a past that is of no use behind. Misery loves company. Which is the reason people like Efe Money will continue to win competitions when we all know Bisola deserved to win the last BBA. You all see yourselves in Linda’s former story. Now that she is no longer one of you, you hate. I get it. You people will be aigt last last.

6. Xplorenollywood.com

December 27, 2017 at 3:55 pm

More power to your elbows ladies…

7. jokobaba

December 27, 2017 at 4:44 pm

See as Linda con fine. There is nothing money cannot do.

• Fizzy

December 27, 2017 at 8:41 pm

She has always been fine. It’s either you are fine or you are not. End of discussion.

8. NG

December 27, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Congratulations all. Keep rolling- each in her way. Forests will be boring if their trees are all of one specie.

9. fleur

December 28, 2017 at 5:30 am

So much vitriol for Linda na wa sha. Linda, watch who you drink tea from. Your status will always be viewed as bragging by some segments of the Nigerian population. Even if you douse your head in ashes they’ll never accept you. they will find a way to call it attention seeking. If you fall from grace, I think there’ll be cognac and champagne parties to celebrate. Dont know why. Dont know if you bit some wrong hands. But, some people HATE you. You will never please them. I have moments when I tire of you yself. However, I admire your tenacity, and I cannot fail to acknowledge your evolution. You persisted and succeeded as a result. You have given voice to the voiceless through your webpage – unlike this favorite spot of mine, your page has a balance of the hungryman commenters and some uppity stiffs. Sometimes I feel the condemnation you face has to do with not being able to say you went to a federal government college or some other school that will signal middle class status growing up. Wish you the best as my fellow woman. Nigerians cannot be understood.

• Liz Bennet

December 28, 2017 at 12:50 pm

Well spoken. You definitely have your head on your shoulders. I’m not a Nigerian and I do not care much about Linda but the hate people spew about the woman makes me wonder about what they will do if she suffers a misfortune. And what’s shameful is that most of this hate is from women, mainly because most of them wish they were Linda.

• Avril Lavigne

December 28, 2017 at 9:50 pm

@Fleur I have tried to restrain myself from commenting, but somehow I can’t. Yes the comments above are not very nice. However, If you have been an ardent follower of her blog, like I have been, you would understand that somehow – knowingly or unknowingly – she brought all the hate upon herself. Her money is nothing compared to industralists like Dangote, Olu Okeowo etc. You dont hear them insisting the whole world must know even though these people have had difficult times. Neither are they hated on like Linda is hated on.

Whether you agree with me or not , Linda got her money by sheer luck. Years of hardwork -yes, But she didnt set out to make money from blogging. If she had become a ‘Naomi Campbell’ I would have agreed that it was a result of her hardwork. There are millions who hustled more than Linda and never made it. “Time and chance” as our holy book says.

The first things she became known for after she made money (instead of being grateful to God who can do and undo) was to use her blog to publicly HUMILIATE those she had issues with. Yvonne Nelson, Toke Makinwa, some designer whom i cant remember now etc. Her sister was her voltron and made matters even worse. Her siblings flaunted wealth like it was a life mission.

These days it appears no one wants to be associated publicly with her except there is some financial perk to it, hence in spite of her money she appears lonely and seeks validation from all quarters.
      Secondly she practically brags about every single thing -publicly. I’m sorry but you dont do that. Dont ask me why. Even Joseph in the bible suffered in prison for 17 years for lacking wisdom in that area. How do you brag to your older brothers that some day, they will bow to you because its God’s plan? He could have avoided that.

Linda would say things like “No one my age has as much money as I do in Naija”.

She is paying the price. Its good to be rich but of what use is money without friends, without a social life, and wallowing in apparent loneliness? Thr clothes and designers, no where to wear them to. No one to hang out with asides siblings.

I wish Linda happiness and dont comment on blogs. I enjoy her blog. She appears a cool person. However This is simply my two cents on why she is generally hated

10. Blessing

December 28, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Not true people hate Linda…jobless, unsuccessful people envy Linda’s success. Linda is so busy running her billion naira businesses she can’t care even if she tried

11. Bowl

December 29, 2017 at 5:05 am

Many thanks fleur.
    And Linda if you are reading this, I hope you are making plans to acquire DSTV because I am already grooming my 10 year old son to do so if you are not interested !